Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Bristol Rovers | Tues 16 March 2021

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Millar still shaking his head there... Raging lol
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Leuth said:
    For all the people saying to drop Maatsen, what part of Jackson's self-avowed preference for higher press and positivity on the ball will that aid? Sure, Purrington's errors are less noticeable because he has a less proactive style, but my whole support of Maatsen has been because his movement is on a level other full-backs in L1 just cannot touch. If we're gonna go out and beat the other bigger teams, we need to gamble on our best players playing at their best 
    Disagree, we've had 4 months of gambling on Maatsen playing at his best and he hasn't and he's shown no sign of doing so.
    Let's stop gambling on a naive lad with potential and tighten up our leaky defence with a player who is more reliable, has miles better positional sense, is a better crosser and scores more as well.
    I've nothing against Maatsen other than he's a liability we can well do without.
    (I don't doubt he has potential, but that's no use to us now).
    I think to an extent there's room for both of them depending on the opposition. Purrington's more solid defensively, but he does get done for pace, so Maatsen's a better bet up against nippy wingers like DJ
    Didn’t DJ pull a Cruyff turn on Maatsen when he scored at the Valley? I think it was probably why we signed him. He can match him for pace, but maybe Purrington wouldn’t have bought the dummy :-)
  • Options
    From the match report on the Beeb website: “The Reds then snatched victory in the 84th minute when Conor Washington tapped in his own headed effort after it bounced back off the post.“
    Probably a PA report though. 
  • Options
    Whatever the opposite of hiding is, Maatsen does that more than just about any other player in our squad. He's flawed, but this quality is why Bowyer and Jackson like him
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Whatever the opposite of hiding is, Maatsen does that more than just about any other player in our squad. He's flawed, but this quality is why Bowyer and Jackson like him
    I don't think he has much quality tho, runs around a lot but his crossing is bang average and I don't see him doing TAA style switches. If he wasn't on loan we would have dropped him IMO.
  • Options
    He's extremely mobile and runs very well with the ball, also he's decent at tackling and has a good instinct for interceptions. Crossing is where he is most lacking; I think he prefers to cross low than high, but crosses for headers are a thing full-backs need to learn
  • Options
    Delighted for Jacko, in particular, after a first half hour of defensive tomfoolery which was on a par with some of the worst served up at The Valley this season. Bristol Rovers went at us full pelt and, by the time Ben Amos waved a despairing (almost comedic) leg at Upson's 35 yarder, we could easily have been 4-0 down.

Shinnie's instant and top quality reply got us back in it and, following Jake's free kick, Rovers must have been demoralised to go in at half time on terms, with all the momentum with us. As Brownie said, they were never going to be able to keep up that level of intensity and so it proved.

The first quarter of an hour of the second half was scrappy but we took control of midfield and dominated the game against visibly tiring opponents. The introduction of Aneke and DJ gave us fresh attacking impetus and energy and Conor Washington's late winner was fully deserved.

I noticed at the end that Jacko was quietly chatting to Millar as they walked off and I imagine that this approach is more likely to bear fruit than chewing the guy out publicly for a sub-standard performance. A successful manager requires many qualities but one where Jacko will certainly not be found wanting - if he's given the chance - is in the area of inter-personal skills and an appreciation that getting the best out of players requires more than one approach.

Amazingly, we find ourselves in the last play-off position with 10 games to go - much the same as 3 years ago when Lee took over from Robinson. Even if history doesn't repeat itself, it would be great to keep the season alive going into the final few games in April and May.
  • Options
    Prefer Purrington to Maatsen - doesn't convince me defensively.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There's also the factor of players getting better when they're out of the team
  • Options
    Prefer Purrington to Maatsen - doesn't convince me defensively.
    Conversely I rate Maatsen more defensively than I do attacking. I wish he'd just hold his position better. 

When Millar plays they leave a huge gap, where Maatsen should be, or if he's pushed up where Millar should be covering. My criticism probably comes from distaste for that combined with their lack of ability to put decent balls in the box, which enables counters into that space.

Maatsen was noticeably better on Saturday with Morgan in front of him, until Morgan and Millar switched that is, or after Millar went off last night. 
  • Options
    He deservedly gets negative comments for his behaviour and character at times, but thought that was a fair assessment.
    He's a bit of an oddball character though ....... I don't know what it is, something in his body language or demeanour perhaps?
    Although that must be taken in context of his disappointment at what he must have seen as a gutting throwaway defeat.

But it's obvious he knows his football and understands the limitations of a small squad at a struggling Third Division club.
    From how his team performed last night, I believe he'll keep Rovers up.

• Options
    I wasn't even aware Bowyer had gone, as I've been so busy I've not been online. I didn't get home until HT, so it seems I missed the early horror show, but from what I saw in the second half, the intensity and urgency just seemed to have been turned up a couple of clicks and we seemed very comfortable and in control of the game, so relieved when the winner came. A lot of work to do, but already an improvement

Some other things you may have missed.  Diana and the Queen Mother are dead and there's a pandemic raging all over the world.
  • Options
    Wish we was allowed info what could be JJ only game as manager. The place would of been buzzing. 

Not sure if I am just imaging it but felt that we looked a quicker on and off the ball. Maybe just in my mind but seemed a change from JJ with not having Pratley and/0r Watson playing. 

We still had that shaky nervous look about us and have no confidence in us not conceding whenever they got near our box. 

Amos is becoming a liability with his weakness from long range shots but is a good shot stopper keeping us in the game with one save in the first half. 

Pearce continues to improve from the shockers seen during our bad run and deserves credit. He cares and puts his body on the line. 

I think we should really make Famewo a top target in the summer. 

JFC, Shinnie and to a lesser degree Morgan won the battle in midfield after the horror start and got on the ball calmed things down and dictated things allowing as to play.  JFC is becoming the player that was so rated at Brighton, think we will struggle to keep him should we not go up and think about 10 odd championship sides would like at him. 

Millar looked tired and maybe his worse game for us, needs a rest and DJ deserves a go now. 

Washington outstanding again he does not stop working, if he was a little bit quicker and a better finisher he would be a top Championship striker. 

He'd gain half a yard if he shaved off that beard.