Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Bristol Rovers | Tues 16 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    From the preview thread. 
    Brizzle have trouble scoring?  Well, they've come to the right place.

Told you!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    Was I the only one cacking myself when that Bristol Rovers player had that great effort at lobbing over Amos to the far post first half?
    Easy to say now we've won but that deserved to go in

Id actually looked away as thought the ball was gone
    No it didn't it was off target. No off target shot deserves to go in. Some are deflected in and that's fine, but no off target shot deserves it.

(pet peeve when people say things like this or If the goal was an inch taller/wider etc, it's not. The shot was off target, it might be close but it's not on target)
    And hitting the woodwork is not unlucky, it’s just another miss.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Croydon said:
    I don't understand why Purrington has fallen out of favour, he can defend and with Millar in front of hi they would't get in each others way
    Bowyer froze him out.
    I would like to start Purrington and Jaiyesimi on the left hand side on Saturday rather than Maatsen and Millar 
    I disagree, the whole team improved when Millar went off. I'd have Maatsen and Jaiyesimi Saturday and if Maatsen continues to make mistakes, Purrington comes back in. 
  • Options
    From the preview thread. 
    Brizzle have trouble scoring?  Well, they've come to the right place.

Told you!
    To be fair, we did give them both as a gift though, proper host's, look after your guests
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    Was I the only one cacking myself when that Bristol Rovers player had that great effort at lobbing over Amos to the far post first half?

No it didn't it was off target. No off target shot deserves to go in. Some are deflected in and that's fine, but no off target shot deserves it.

(pet peeve when people say things like this or If the goal was an inch taller/wider etc, it's not. The shot was off target, it might be close but it's not on target)
    Know what you mean and agree but was just the way he lobbed Amos... Like I say its easy to say after we've won but its a shame it wasnt on target as would have been a great goal
  • Options
    As soon as playoffs are out of reach, I'd terminate all our loans early. Play only our players that are fighting for contracts. (I realise this may only be 1-3 games)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:

Know what you mean and agree but was just the way he lobbed Amos... Like I say its easy to say after we've won but its a shame it wasnt on target as would have been a great goal
    ?Shame, fortunate was the way I saw it,
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I thought, particularly in the first half, the 3 MMM-igos in Maatsen, Millar and Morgan were very poor, and though we looked like we were trying to play fast positive football, that often culminated in aimless punts up field or play breaking down due to an inability to pass the ball further than 5 yards. 

Second half we used the middle of the pitch better, and used Washington to run the channels more and that seemed to work very well.

I know people say you don't change a winning team, but on Saturday I'd start with

Amos
    Gunter Famewo Pearce Purrington
    Morgan Forster-Caskey Shinnie Jaiyesimi
    Washington Stockley

Maynard-Brewer Oshilaja Pratley Smith Millar Schwartz Aneke
    I'd be happy with that team although would play Matthews at right back if he is fit.

But I would tinker with the midfield. I'd play F-C and Morgan in the middle and then fit JD or Millar and Shinnie on the wings. F_C and Morgan have done well when they've played together in the centre and it gives you more "bit" there with Morgan quite happy to make a few crunching tackles these days.

Just leave Watson and Pratley on the bench! 
  • Options
    My biggest peeve is that we just don't seem able to out a decent cross into the box, either from open play or deadball situations. Big strikers need to be running in and challenging for quality balls pinged in from wide positions; we just don't seem to have the players that can do that. As for corners- well Steve Brown made the point last night; if you get a corner/free kick and you're asking defenders to come up at least make sure you use them. As he said centre backs have 60 yards to run back and get in position.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    As soon as playoffs are out of reach, I'd terminate all our loans early. Play only our players that are fighting for contracts. (I realise this may only be 1-3 games)
    Sounds good in theory,  but if you were on the receiving end (ie Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea), would you rush to pickup our telephone call next season when we go looking for loans?
  • Options

And we all know what happened then. Now, I know you all think I'm daft ..........
    Do you really want us to answer that one, Golfie ..... ?:smile:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Are we allowed to terminate the loans?

Might piss off Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal too if ever we want to sign another decent prospect from them.

The moment the Play-Offs are out of reach (if it happens) Id put Maynard-Brewer in goal for some experience 
    Maybe, even if we don't terminate we could bench them at least I hope... Hopefully it'll be a non-problem as we smash our way to and through the playoffs spanking Sunderland in an empty Wembley.  
  • Options
    That was enjoyable, at 2-2 in the second half I was fancying us to win it and we did. After feeling a total disconnect from the squad for a while, I'm really warming to Conor Washington and JFC and I thought Shinnie was excellent as well. I thought Maatsen's performance improved after he gave the penalty away, but him and Millar shouldn't play together: one or the other or switch Millar to the other side. Keep it up JJ, loved the emotion from him in the interview. 
  • Options
    Confidence is a key factor and we all need to dwell on the superb comeback and forget the mistakes at the start. 
  • Options
    Quick stat for those who like them. Washington has scored 11 goals from just 30 shots this season. Goal conversion rate of 37%. Clinical.
    As a comparison, Liam Millar has had 19 shots and scored 1 goal. Conversion rate of 5%.
  • Options
    Wonder what Aneke's and Stockley's conversion rates are, I reckon our strikers are some of the most clinical in the league, as we don't create that many chances game to game
  • Options
    Quick stat for those who like them. Washington has scored 11 goals from just 30 shots this season. Goal conversion rate of 37%. Clinical.
    As a comparison, Liam Millar has had 19 shots and scored 1 goal. Conversion rate of 5%.
    And Aneke has 12 league goals from 75 shots. 16% conversion ratio. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just an afterthought,commentary lads said Aneke very brave going for the challenge when their keeper got sent off,personally think it was the other way round,thought keeper should have stayed on for his bravery in crashing into Aneke.
  • Options
    Let JJ have the caretaker gig to the end of the season and see where we are. 
    How can someone come in now with 10 games to go and know the players; their personalities and abilities.
    Unless you spend time on a daily basis at Sparrows lane you have no idea on the players attitude, and commitment to the cause. Watching matches on Valley pass, we miss the positional Sence of players when off screen.
    Pleased to hear that Curbs agrees with me about Jackson and his knowledge of the players ! Strengths as well as their many weaknesses.

I was so pleased for JJ who deserved that for his 12 years at Cafc. Sounds like JJ many only get one game in charge but I hope he lets Thomas Sandgaard know today that he wants the Job. 

Bringing in an out of work manager now really wouldn't be a good idea for the last ten games.

I see where you are coming from but if we wait till the end of the season, TS decides JJ isn't the man and recruits A.N. Other then we are already well behind the curve ball in preparation for next season. The squad needs assessing now, targets identified, moves for players made. And, for instance, a new man comes in now he's able to assess say Stockley and decide if he's worth keeping or not, if available of course. Same with out of contract players like Chuks. JJ is a sentimental choice.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    And Aneke has 12 league goals from 75 shots. 16% conversion ratio. 
    In addition

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers

Aneke has 54% shot accuracy
    Washington has 63% shot accuracy
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    My biggest peeve is that we just don't seem able to out a decent cross into the box, either from open play or deadball situations. Big strikers need to be running in and challenging for quality balls pinged in from wide positions; we just don't seem to have the players that can do that. As for corners- well Steve Brown made the point last night; if you get a corner/free kick and you're asking defenders to come up at least make sure you use them. As he said centre backs have 60 yards to run back and get in position.
    Agree with this 100%, for corners we either can’t beat the first man or they go to too deep. Although they did improve for a while  during the winning run when they had Innis to aim at.

The best thing for me last night was we seemed to be positive at every opportunity rather than passing the ball between ourselves 15 or 20 yards from our own box and then after 20 or so nothing passes thumping it forward. 

Don’t think we missed Pratley or Watson.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Redhenry said:
    No Watson or Pratley in the starting line-up. =3 points 
    Who'd a thought it 
    Exactly what i thought

Like all football forums we have diverse views but I can't remember anyone saying both Watson and Pratley should play in the midfield at the same time ? 

Lee Bowyer thought it was a good idea to play the yellow card twins together when it's patently obvious the game has moved on and Pratley and Watson can't get away with the tackles they have made most of their careers.

JJ agreed with the consenus. 
  • Options

Also the stat that Washington is a goal every 3 games in League 1 is still on course.
    In fact he is ahead of that stat at the moment(on his games played) and his A game is showing he is the fittest player at the club.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    You can't terminate loans outside of transfer windows.

Of course, there's a choice not to select the player ......... now that would piss off the lending club, if that's what you mean?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    You can't terminate loans outside of transfer windows.

Of course, there's a choice not to select the player ......... now that would piss off the lending club, if that's what you mean?

Bench them then. 

We need to focus on who is going to be kept on/renewed. 
  • Options
    Can't agree. A pet hate, which some of you may have noticed, is when fans treat our loan players differently to our fully-contracted players. They're all Charlton right now, support them all right now, unless they really aren't trying, which is a very rare situation
  • Options
    For me Jacko's interview was very good.

He spoke of wanting a higher press and be more positive on the ball.   He felt that led to the team being a little too anxious and trying to do things too quickly.   Younger players such as Maatsen, Millar and Morgan most effected by that.

Leading to lumping it long, trying too hard and not relaxing in the right areas.   As the game went on both Morgan and Maatsen improved and Millar was just getting to where we think we he should be when he was subbed.   DJ came on and was more effective than he has been to date.

With results will come the ability to relax and believe in the process more.   Without being dug out.   Without being hung out to dry.

It probably won't be Jacko long term, but I wouldn't want to lose him from the coaching staff.   Always could rely on JJ.