Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Bristol Rovers | Tues 16 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Leuth said:
    Can't agree. A pet hate, which some of you may have noticed, is when fans treat our loan players differently to our fully-contracted players. They're all Charlton right now, support them all right now, unless they really aren't trying, which is a very rare situation
    If Maatsen wasn't a loanee would you feel the same?

I am sorry but all the while we are competing for something I agree they should be treated the same. Once we're not competing, why play them? The whole point of loanees for us is that they enable us to compete. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Quick stat for those who like them. Washington has scored 11 goals from just 30 shots this season. Goal conversion rate of 37%. Clinical.
    As a comparison, Liam Millar has had 19 shots and scored 1 goal. Conversion rate of 5%.
    And Aneke has 12 league goals from 75 shots. 16% conversion ratio. 
    In addition

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers

Aneke has 54% shot accuracy
    Washington has 63% shot accuracy
    They should be our first choice pairing. Washington showed he keeps going for the full 98 mins too. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Quick stat for those who like them. Washington has scored 11 goals from just 30 shots this season. Goal conversion rate of 37%. Clinical.
    As a comparison, Liam Millar has had 19 shots and scored 1 goal. Conversion rate of 5%.
    And Aneke has 12 league goals from 75 shots. 16% conversion ratio. 
    In addition

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers

Aneke has 54% shot accuracy
    Washington has 63% shot accuracy
    They should be our first choice pairing. Washington showed he keeps going for the full 98 mins too. 
    Agreed, I really like Stockley but find he's too easy a temptation for long ball

Aneke on the other hand has very good control with the ball to feet and does bully the opposition more
  • Options
    JJ will make a decision based on what is best for his career. 

I personally don't think that working as Bowyer's assistant is what would be best, but he may choose that over being an assistant to a new manager at Charlton.
    Agreed, but working with a legend liker Curbishley might be a lot more appealing
  • Options
    For all the people saying to drop Maatsen, what part of Jackson's self-avowed preference for higher press and positivity on the ball will that aid? Sure, Purrington's errors are less noticeable because he has a less proactive style, but my whole support of Maatsen has been because his movement is on a level other full-backs in L1 just cannot touch. If we're gonna go out and beat the other bigger teams, we need to gamble on our best players playing at their best 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    good fight back from 2-0 down and regained a play off slot where a couple, Doncaster & Lincoln, are starting to falter. However there is still a need for a BIG improvement to keep up a promotion drive. I wonder if we'll see an Addicks/Mackems Pt 3 in the early summer?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    As soon as playoffs are out of reach, I'd terminate all our loans early. Play only our players that are fighting for contracts. (I realise this may only be 1-3 games)
    You can't terminate loans outside of transfer windows.

Of course, there's a choice not to select the player ......... now that would piss off the lending club, if that's what you mean?

Bench them then. 

We need to focus on who is going to be kept on/renewed. 
    might struggle to put a team out ...
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    For all the people saying to drop Maatsen, what part of Jackson's self-avowed preference for higher press and positivity on the ball will that aid? Sure, Purrington's errors are less noticeable because he has a less proactive style, but my whole support of Maatsen has been because his movement is on a level other full-backs in L1 just cannot touch. If we're gonna go out and beat the other bigger teams, we need to gamble on our best players playing at their best 
    Disagree, we've had 4 months of gambling on Maatsen playing at his best and he hasn't and he's shown no sign of doing so.
    Let's stop gambling on a naive lad with potential and tighten up our leaky defence with a player who is more reliable, has miles better positional sense, is a better crosser and scores more as well.
    I've nothing against Maatsen other than he's a liability we can well do without.
    (I don't doubt he has potential, but that's no use to us now).
  • Options
    Agreed, like how he bemoaned the free kick but focused on his teams inability to setup for it rather than focus on the referee 
  • Options
    Came over as a reasonably fair assessment of the game, and a calm reasoning of where they are this season, must say lost count of the "dusting themselves down" required
  • Options

• Options
    Five games unbeaten Back in the top six
    We march on to Wimbledon... #cafc

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Last night's Man of the Match, with 44% of your vote, was match-winner Conor Washington!

• Options
    Agreed, like how he bemoaned the free kick but focused on his teams inability to setup for it rather than focus on the referee 
    I commented at the time that the free kick was soft BUT the referee had also given them soft free kicks against Stockley, so the referee was consistent. 
  • Options
    Barton in interview provides a truly startling contrast with Bowyer, for all that they had similar bad-boy reputations as players
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Disagree, we've had 4 months of gambling on Maatsen playing at his best and he hasn't and he's shown no sign of doing so.
    Let's stop gambling on a naive lad with potential and tighten up our leaky defence with a player who is more reliable, has miles better positional sense, is a better crosser and scores more as well.
    I've nothing against Maatsen other than he's a liability we can well do without.
    (I don't doubt he has potential, but that's no use to us now).
    I think to an extent there's room for both of them depending on the opposition. Purrington's more solid defensively, but he does get done for pace, so Maatsen's a better bet up against nippy wingers like DJ
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    No Watson or Pratley in the starting line-up. =3 points 
    Who'd a thought it 
    Exactly what i thought

Like all football forums we have diverse views but I can't remember anyone saying both Watson and Pratley should play in the midfield at the same time ? 

Lee Bowyer thought it was a good idea to play the yellow card twins together when it's patently obvious the game has moved on and Pratley and Watson can't get away with the tackles they have made most of their careers.

JJ agreed with the consenus. 
    I think it wasn't so much the tackles, but the lack of energy and pace. 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    IF we can get Inniss fit quickly enough and we play Watson in front of the defence, it will be hard for the top teams we play at the end of the season to break us down. We then might get into the pkayoffs with a few 1-0s. We won't get there with a weak defence. Giving Hull, Peterboro etc a 2 goal start will not work.
    Please no, don't do that.

Compare the movement of Shinnie and F-C tonight compared with Watson and Pratley last Saturday. It's chalk and cheese.  Let's thank Pratley and Watson for their efforts and move on for the rest of the season without them starting. 
    Sure, if we don't mind being 2-0 down after 20 minutes.
    Watson or Pratley in front of the defence, possibly, and Watson in preference; Watson and Pratley together, never again, please.  We need Shinnie and JFC in the side as much as possible, they're our two main creative players, so if you're having Watson, you've got to be prepared to sacrifice Millar or Morgan out of last night's team.  Not too hard a decision to make on the back of what we saw last night.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Pearcey very vocal in that too, top guy. A lot of us counted him out a few games back (me included) happily been proved wrong on that one.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Who doesn't love this xG stuff

Ask BHA what xG means in real terms.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Great turnaround but.....

we were 2-0 at home to team with worst away record in division. 
    2nd worst.
    Which makes a load of differences.