Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic | Sat 20 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Perfect time for 2 weeks off as it might give Adkins a chance to learn the players names. Initial change of system after the second goal was baffling and it only got worse from there. In the second half he might as well have been picking names out of a hat for the subs, how on Earth do you end up with 3 outright CMs and 3 outright strikers on the pitch with 0 width? Baffling. 
    Isn't that what 4-3-3 is?
    Technically, but a 433 usually an attacking winger either side of the striker. It’s what we had after 5 minutes cos of Washington’s injury. 
    Adkins fav system is 4231 which we saw after Washington went off and have to say thought we looked very good ... 
    He had Lambert and Barnard up front for Southampton together
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Vincenzo said:
    Perfect time for 2 weeks off as it might give Adkins a chance to learn the players names. Initial change of system after the second goal was baffling and it only got worse from there. In the second half he might as well have been picking names out of a hat for the subs, how on Earth do you end up with 3 outright CMs and 3 outright strikers on the pitch with 0 width? Baffling. 
    Technically, but a 433 usually an attacking winger either side of the striker. It’s what we had after 5 minutes cos of Washington’s injury. 
    Adkins fav system is 4231 which we saw after Washington went off and have to say thought we looked very good ... 
    I don't think we have the players for a 4231. We'd need at least two wide players (one to replace Millar and a spare) and a more attacking CM/CAM before we can consider that. Morgan and Shinnie could perhaps play that role so be interesting to see if we adopt it before the summer. 
    Millar left, DJ right, Chuks behind Stockley? Chuks started as attacking mid/10... 
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    I don't think we have the players for a 4231. We'd need at least two wide players (one to replace Millar and a spare) and a more attacking CM/CAM before we can consider that. Morgan and Shinnie could perhaps play that role so be interesting to see if we adopt it before the summer. 
    Last autumn, we did have the players to play 4231, Chuks or Bogle up top, then 3 out of Doughty (before the injury), Washington, Smyth, Maddison, Williams, Morgan and maybe Gilbey for the attacking midfielders
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    On playing out from the back I like how Adkins appears to see it - do it when you can but accept there at times when you can’t.

Important to find the balance between football that’s good to watch and playing in a way that gets results.

Well it's an improvement on Bowyer's thoughts.
    As I've said a few times, I questioned this tactic a couple of years ago at a supporter's meeting.
    Basically I said to Bowyer, yes do it, but only when appropriate, not every time if you're closed down and putting yourself in danger (same as Adkins).
    Bowyer wouldn't have it though, he was adamant to pass it out every time regardless.
    If Amos has been told to do this for a long time, it's little surprise that he does it.
    If you do play it out short you should fully expect the ball to be played back to you. 
    You should therefore be concentrating on what is going on and you can see that he clearly wasn’t. He was also not on his toes ready to move. Basic.
    You cannot blame it on anyone else other than the two players involved, and Amos in particular as he should see the player coming in.
    If he finds it all a bit too difficult he probably needs to drop a league.
  • Options
    Just saw the goal man utd gave to Leicester and honestly can’t decide if its worse than wimbledons 2nd..
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    This 5 at the back is a total misnomer.

If you are under the cosh it can become 5 at the back but the idea is you push your full backs forward so it's more of a 3-5-2.

Our good start on Saturday was negated when Millar and DJ who were causing trouble to the Dons down the flanks were pushed inside. This helped Wimbledon and made Stockley ineffective as he needs the ball crossed to him in a more advanced wide position; as in the first goal.

I would love to be a manager playing against Charlton, because of the lack of pace in Cafc midfield and the amount of time Maatsen and Gunter etc give poor passes which exposes our CB's when even mediocre League 1 teams can hit us quickly in transition.

If you play both Millar and DJ (Washington's injury meant he came on in minutes) then you don't need over lapping full backs as when the move breaks down you are stretched defensively. 

At just 19 Ian Maatsen will improve but at the moment he is a liability and naive. He have flair but at the moment steady Eddie Purrington would be a better option despite his lack of pace.

It's a shame because when Millar, Aneke,Shinnie, JFC, and Washington are on their A game we look good but it only seems for 20 minute periods in a game.

Without being at Sparrows lane and seeing the analysis data after a game it's difficult only watching on Valley pass as you can't always see the runs off the ball.

Morgan appears to do more runs off the ball trying to close down but seeing the players scores some CL folk didn't notice.

• Options
    I just do not see the sense of all this passing about at the back,9 times out of ten,the ball finishes up back with the keeper who often then is under pressure and just hoofs it upfield anyway.
    This.......especially if a defender has it originally & passes it back 20 yards to his keeper. The resulting hoof from the keeper will therefore be 20 yards less upfield that a similar hoof from the defender. Bonkers thinking. 
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Just saw the goal man utd gave to Leicester and honestly can’t decide if its worse than wimbledons 2nd..

When Fred who cost 52 million makes a mistake that a Park footballer would be embarrassed to make then it was in the same category as Akin Famewo shocker on Saturday. Both goals are totally ridiculous by professional footballers.

Man City make the fewest mistakes playing this way as their opposition are wary of the full on press as City will kill them in transition.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:

When Fred who cost 52 million makes a mistake that a Park footballer would be embarrassed to make then it was in the same category as Akin Famewo shocker on Saturday. Both goals are totally ridiculous by professional footballers.

Man City make the fewest mistakes playing this way as their opposition are wary of the full on press as City will kill them in transition.
    It's ridiculous how many teams think they can copy Man City.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Last autumn, we did have the players to play 4231, Chuks or Bogle up top, then 3 out of Doughty (before the injury), Washington, Smyth, Maddison, Williams, Morgan and maybe Gilbey for the attacking midfielders
    Agreed, but four of those have now left. I think Gilbey is an out and out CM personally. although he's not played particularly well in any role. 
  • Options
    995632 said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Millar left, DJ right, Chuks behind Stockley? Chuks started as attacking mid/10... 
    Actually, he didn't. He was a striker and it was MK Dons who started to play him CAM. I think it could be worth a try but he's a striker for me. 
  • Options
    995632 said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Actually, he didn't. He was a striker and it was MK Dons who started to play him CAM. I think it could be worth a try but he's a striker for me. 
    Arsenal acknowledged he’s a creative midfielder: https://www.arsenal.com/historic/players/chuks-aneke

He’s really only become a proper striker with us, he’s used to having players ahead of him. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    This 5 at the back is a total misnomer.

If you are under the cosh it can become 5 at the back but the idea is you push your full backs forward so it's more of a 3-5-2.

Our good start on Saturday was negated when Millar and DJ who were causing trouble to the Dons down the flanks were pushed inside. This helped Wimbledon and made Stockley ineffective as he needs the ball crossed to him in a more advanced wide position; as in the first goal.

I would love to be a manager playing against Charlton, because of the lack of pace in Cafc midfield and the amount of time Maatsen and Gunter etc give poor passes which exposes our CB's when even mediocre League 1 teams can hit us quickly in transition.

If you play both Millar and DJ (Washington's injury meant he came on in minutes) then you don't need over lapping full backs as when the move breaks down you are stretched defensively. 

At just 19 Ian Maatsen will improve but at the moment he is a liability and naive. He have flair but at the moment steady Eddie Purrington would be a better option despite his lack of pace.

It's a shame because when Millar, Aneke,Shinnie, JFC, and Washington are on they A game we look good but it only seems for 20 minute periods in a game.

Without being at Sparrows lane and seeing the Analysis data after a game it's difficult only watching on Valley pass as you can't always see the runs off the ball.

Morgan appears to do more runs off the ball trying to close down but seeing the players scores some CL folk didn't notice.

Sometimes you see more poor passes because team mates are not showing and finding space. making the pass more pressured/dificult. Receiving is half the pass.
  • Options
    995632 said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Arsenal acknowledged he’s a creative midfielder: https://www.arsenal.com/historic/players/chuks-aneke

He’s really only become a proper striker with us, he’s used to having players ahead of him. 
    Either way I’ve seen nothing from him that suggests he is a better CAM than Striker. 
  • Options
    Amos has gone backwards as the season has progressed. 
    He appears to have reverted to the Amos who was very poor for Millwall. 
    Definitely need better next season. 
    Agreed.  Nobody can really say Maynard-Brewer is or isn't good enough, let the lad have a chance for the next few games and see how he gets on.
  • Options
    995632 said:
    Vincenzo said:

Either way I’ve seen nothing from him that suggests he is a better CAM than Striker. 
    I think he can do both, and definitely isn't a pure "No 9". A lot of his goals have come from him driving from deeper positions, whereas Stockley is the opposite, he's a pure target man
  • Options
    Amos has gone backwards as the season has progressed. 
    He appears to have reverted to the Amos who was very poor for Millwall. 
    Definitely need better next season. 
    To me it also raises questions about Andy Marshall, if a keeper keeps being beaten from distance, what are they doing in training?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    995632 said:
    Vincenzo said:
    https://www.arsenal.com/historic/players/chuks-aneke

"Chuks Aneke1213 Under-21s Arsenal 0-2 West Ham United - Chuks AnekeChuks was released by Arsenal in June 2014 after 13 seasons with the club.The creative midfielder joined Arsenal aged seven in 2001 and progressed through the youth ranks to become a regular for the under-21s, where his physical and combative style was compared to the likes of Abou Diaby and Yaya Toure by Arsene Wenger.After impressing for the reserve side, Chuks was handed his first-team debut, coming on as a 90th-minute substitute in the league cup against Shrewsbury Town in 2011.From there, the midfielder spent time on loan at Stevenage and Preston North End before finding regular playing time during two season-long spells with Crewe Alexandra in League One. Chuks netted 24 times in 82 appearances for the Railwaymen and was rewarded with a place on Arsenal's pre-season tour to Asia in 2012, where he scored the winner against a Malaysia XI in Kuala Lumpur.The midfielder's contract ran out in 2014 and he signed for Belgian Pro League side Zulte Waregem on a three-year deal."You might be right, but they certainly seem to think he was a midfielder... 
  • Options
    SamB09 said:

It's ridiculous how many teams
     think they can copy Man City.

In my experience in watching thousands of games of football the only League 1 team that was very good at playing out from the back was Brighton under Poyet. 

It's just common sense to play out from the back if you are not marked but go long if you are. 
    We scored a goal in 7 seconds when Amos went long and Alfie Doughty had a quick run and put in a  cross which was put away with aplomb;. ...by the opposition's defender.
  • Options
    995632 said:
    Vincenzo said:

I think he can do both, and definitely isn't a pure "No 9". A lot of his goals have come from him driving from deeper positions, whereas Stockley is the opposite, he's a pure target man
    I'd agree with that. Maybe I'm thinking more of the usual CAM types, which Aneke certainly isn't. If he were to play CAM, I don't think it would work with Stockley as the STR, it would need to be someone who can run in behind. I just feel Aneke has done so well as a striker this season it seems daft to consider moving him. 
  • Options
    I don't think Chuks has the pace and mobility to play no10/AM that effectively.
  • Options
    Erm did they actually watch the 'highlights'

• Options
    I wonder with Amos whether its a case of being too comfortable. I thought he started the season well when he had to prove himself as the No1. Start AMB for a few games and i wouldnt be surprised if Amos finished the season strongly