Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic | Sat 20 March 2021

Disappointing to only come away with a point, but that’s the way our season has gone. We looked comfortable even after their first equaliser, and seemed the only ones likely to go on and finish the match with a third goal. That’s until an uncharacteristicly lax moment from Famewo that led to their second equaliser. I thought the substitutions blunted us on the wings and we lost all momentum and never looked like finding another goal. Shame we couldn’t keep the momentum as three points would see us into the final stretch.

A sizable break now will let us recalibrate for the final push up the table.

Over to you.

Comments

• Strange game. Really good 1st half & I really felt we would push on 2nd half & win the game comfortably, but for some reason it just didn't happen

Frustrating!
  • Nigel didn’t hold down x long enough on that pass back to Amos for there goal. Adkins out!
  • edited March 2021
    Perfect time for 2 weeks off as it might give Adkins a chance to learn the players names. Initial change of system after the second goal was baffling and it only got worse from there. In the second half he might as well have been picking names out of a hat for the subs, how on Earth do you end up with 3 outright CMs and 3 outright strikers on the pitch with 0 width? Baffling. 
  • Addick_8 said:
    I’d love to know when goes through Ben Amos head to take 20 seconds on goal kicks when we have about 40 seconds left in the game. 

It’s not the first time he’s done it. It’s like we are winning.. Jesus christ!
    Amos is a good shot stopper and is good on crosses but the rest of his game is poor.
  • Sponsored links:

• A very poor goal to give away to drop two points. It's a 'never event' as Bowyer called them, that Charlton seem to do too often.
  • Addick_8 said:
    I’d love to know when goes through Ben Amos head to take 20 seconds on goal kicks when we have about 40 seconds left in the game. 

I can't understand it. Infuriating. Bows was right, some of these players' mentalities are all wrong.
  • Going to be a summer of rebuilding before we go again at this level

Players just dont have it inside them to mount a serious promotion challenge this year

There were occasions where we showed promise yet its difficult to pin anything on Adkins what with him only being around for two days - Wimbledon for me came out of the blocks in the first half and treated it like a Derby and acted like a team that are fighting for their season, never understood the "tired" comments, thought they were a constant threat.

Defence like Tuesday night is still a problem and isnt going to change anything between now and the end of the season - For all our attacking play (even when Millar / Jaiyesimi were on), we were still shakey at the back which is a concern
  • That mistake by Famewo cost us the goal and the three points. Completely knocked the stuffing out of us and we just stopped playing after that. It was all Wimbledon from then on and it would have been criminal if Chuks’ late shot had nicked the win.

We were unlucky to lose Conor so early and I hope its not too bad an injury. I didn’t really understand the decision to bring on DJ but its fair to say that the first half attacking performance justified that move.

Almost two weeks now until we play again. That will give Adders some invaluable time to get to know the players better and to work out how to get them playing well enough to give us a chance of beating the teams above and around us in the next sequence of fixtures. 
  • Started well but then changed shape at 2-1 and never looked the same. Second half was pretty terrible and the changes were a bit weird but maybe that’s to be expected when he doesn’t really know the players.

This group just isn’t very good and whether it’s Bowyer or Adkins in charge thats not going to change.

• Sponsored links:

• First half good. Second half bad. Nullified our own attacking threat by taking off Millar, DJ and Morgan. Consequently didn’t create any chances for the strikers. Badly missed Washington, I hope he’s not out for too long.
  • Big clear out needed from keeper to the front and back room staff 
  • Just as well the pretty much the rest of the sides in this sh*t hole of a league are inconsistent and prone to throwing the towel in too, so remarkably we remain in the hunt despite a poor 2nd half at Wimbledon. 

Pleased for DJ and Millar assisted two, so credit to him after a poor midweek game. 
  • Quick out the blocks, inspiringly positive.
    Then once again , rubbish defensive mistakes (it’s constant) bring us down with a bump! 

This is clearly still a bowyer team with bowyer tactics/confidence- make no mistake! 

Two points dropped, and from half time we were 5th- now looking likely to slide right out! 

Good few weeks to really get into the players now!

maatsen poor again, femewo inconsistent and we really missed Washington! 
  • We’ve only got ourselves to blame. Individual mistakes has led to us throwing the 2 points away.Hugely concerning how poor we were in the second half. 

Should have been out of sight but we allowed a poor team back into the game. Adkins has a big job on his hands.
  • Poor poor defending for both goals. Some questionable formations as well 

Is Innis back for 2 weeks time. We need a no nonsense lump in there to just do some defending 
  • edited March 2021
    Addick_8 said:

Amos is a good shot stopper and is good on crosses but the rest of his game is poor.
    Agreed. His positioning is awful at times. When Piggott hit the post he was all over the place. 
    Don’t want to dig him right out but those goal kicks infuriate me. 
    Might just log out  because soon otherwise I’ll move onto ranting about Gunter and his awareness and crossing but I need a deep breath first.