Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic | Sat 20 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    I think there is an exaggeration on the amount of players we need and we have to be realistic. Sandgaard may well be willing to spend more than Roland was but talk of 15/16 players is madness IMO. We need about 6/7 quality players and then another 3/4 good squad players. 
    Sort of agree but when you look at some of the better players there's a real chance they won't be here next year be it end of loans or contracts running out. 
  • Options
    ''When's the last time a Charlton side played well for both halves of a game. So frustrating.''

In answer to the above comment, when we beat Chelsea 4-2 just after one Christmas (in the Premiership) and later they nicked Scott Parker from us!
  • Options
    I’d bring Deji back in for Pearce. I don’t think Pearce is better than him and we all know Bows didn’t rate him, fresh start gives him one final chance. Also allows Famewo to move back to the left hand side. 
  • Options
    I think there is an exaggeration on the amount of players we need and we have to be realistic. Sandgaard may well be willing to spend more than Roland was but talk of 15/16 players is madness IMO. We need about 6/7 quality players and then another 3/4 good squad players. 
    We  need about 6/7 quality players ....... so that 3/4 of the present 1st team can become good squad players.
    I never believe that it's the best plan to bring in players who are not likely to be better than you already have.

Plus, of course, all the loans will need replacing.

• Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2021
    Good first half and Charlton deserved to be ahead. Millar and Jayesimi had their beating of their full backs. It didn't help, switching formation and losing this threat. The constant formation changes helped produce a dire and frustrating second half performance, where Charlton could barely string 2 passes together and constanlty lost the ball. Wimbledon were energetic and did push forward but still needed a goal conceeded that only Nabby Saars' Wembley own goal can rival. It is very Charlton to generate lots of expectation, promise so much but shoot themselves in the foot and frustrate.
  • Options
    Would anyone really care if we let the entire squad go in the summer and signed 23 new players?
  • Options
    Utter rubbish.

schwartz must have a club record for fewest touches per minutes played of anyone whose ever represented the club 
    Did he touch it once today?
  • Options
    I've just received an email to say that it's the first day of spring and International Day of Happiness. Bring on summer and let the happiness return. 
    Your message has no place on a Post Match thread, an hour after a flaccid 2nd half performance. :smile:

• Options
    For the next match if the following players are fit i would like to see 
                   Maynard Brewer
    Matthews Innis Pearce Purrington
      DJ   JFC   Smith   Millar
         Stockley   Washington.

And get Davison back from on loan !!!

A good old 4 4 2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Sort of agree but when you look at some of the better players there's a real chance they won't be here next year be it end of loans or contracts running out. 
    Taking the out of contracts player into account definitely, although I’d like to keep a few of them. Excluding loan players I feel we have about 13 players I’d be happy to have in the squad next season. 
  • Options
    Would anyone really care if we let the entire squad go in the summer and signed 23 new players?
    That's what I'm praying for.
    Wankers the lot of em 
  • Options
    Was DJ injured? Bowyer would have been slaughtered for subbing a sub today. 
    He came on in the 2nd minute. It was hardly a Williams situation now was it. 
    I didn’t say it was. Asked a simple question if anyone noticed he was injured? Coming on in 2nd minute should still mean he’s capable of finishing the game.
    No you're saying Bowyer would have got slaughtered for making this sub, which is not true. He took Williams off out of spite, which is why he was rightly slaughtered.

DJ was taken off for (poor) tactical reasons. Two completely different things. 
    I think the biggest area (thats being overlooked) with the Bowyerisms is the fact that Adkins eventually matched up against Wimbledon - Think it only happened as well when we went 2-1 up but there has been a lot of talk this season about how we shouldnt be worrying about how the opposition play and focusing on our own style
    I was slightly confused by his post match comments

I'm with Curbs 100% today. We looked really good with Millar on the left and DJ on the right, with the Wimbledon full backs really struggling, yet we changed formation from this, and ended the game with no wingers on the pitch, and ended up looking toothless

In retrospect the bench for the last 2 games has been a bit odd, against the likes of Bristol R or Wimbledon we don't need both Pratley and Watson on the bench, when 1 plus a more creative midfielder like Smith or Gilbey (who must be fit by now) would give more options.
  • Options
    Our defending is beyond woeful at times - positionally incontinent, some of them.

Still DJ being encouraged to run at their defenders is hopefully a sign of things to come, but it's going to take a while for some of these players to get their confidence back and for most of them, it's probably the end of the road for them at CAFC.

Not really sure who Nads would want to keep, but we'll find out at the end of the season.  I suspect it's not many.

P.S Start with a solid keeper, Nads.  Oh, and a new defence.  Our lot at the back are a disaster magnet!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    We  need about 6/7 quality players ....... so that 3/4 of the present 1st team can become good squad players.
    I never believe that it's the best plan to bring in players who are not likely to be better than you already have.

Plus, of course, all the loans will need replacing.

Agreed. Amos, Gunter, Morgan are not looking good enough to start regularly. 
  • Options
    Free shot for NA today but we are still woeful under any kind of pressure.

Worst I have seen Fam play. Not just the goal his all round play was awful.

We really do need a complete clear out for next season.

Famewo hasn't looked as good since the injury. Yes you expect young players to make mistakes, but he's making more of them now than he did in the autumn, you can see why Norwich have loaned him out
  • Options
    I didn’t say it was. Asked a simple question if anyone noticed he was injured? Coming on in 2nd minute should still mean he’s capable of finishing the game.
    No you're saying Bowyer would have got slaughtered for making this sub, which is not true. He took Williams off out of spite, which is why he was rightly slaughtered.

With the mood on this board in recent weeks, I believe he would have got slaughtered. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shit squad send Femewo back to whatever club mugged us off with him and the Chelsea boy. Absolute Bollox team 
  • Options
    There not much anyone can do when a player makes an error like Famewo did .. without we win 1-2 ... football a very tough game at times 
  • Options
    I listened on the radio rather than stream, sounded a fairly even game overall.

We simply haven't been good enough through the season, too many teams below us with 2/3 games in hand and not much of a point gap you'd have to say we're unlikely to make the top 6, which on paper with the squad we have we really should have been a shoe in for the play offs.

Still a 2 week break now for Adkins to work out his favoured 11, you never know.........
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    stonemuse said:

With the mood on this board in recent weeks, I believe he would have got slaughtered. 
    The original post was about being slaughtered for 'subbing a sub', which as I have pointed out you can hardly compare this to - considering DJ came on in the 5th minute and was subbed in the 80th.

If the original poster pointed out that Bowyer would have been slaughtered for the seemingly wierd tactical decision, compared to Adkins, then he may well have been right. But there's far more mitigating circumstances involved there, then whipping Williams off after 10 minutes because he pulled out of a tackle. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    stonemuse said:

The original post was about being slaughtered for 'subbing a sub', which as I have pointed out you can hardly compare this to - considering DJ came on in the 5th minute and was subbed in the 80th.

If the original poster pointed out that Bowyer would have been slaughtered for the seemingly wierd tactical decisions, compared to Adkins, got then he may well have been right. But there's far more mitigating circumstances involved there, then whipping Williams off after 10 minutes because he pulled out of a tackle. 
    Agreed with that point, but JJ should have been making the decisions for me. Maybe he was, but Adkins needs to get to know the players.
  • Options
    Does Aneke actually aim for the woodwork?

Their second goal - at least it diverts attention away from how catastrophic the defending was for their first.