Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic | Sat 20 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    Impossible to read too much into that either way given how little time Adkins has had to learn anything about the squad and players.

In many ways the break has come at a good time inasmuch as it gives the new manager time to get to grips with the squad - he'll be under no illusions about the task he faces now.
  • Options
    Just how many mistakes have we made this season that have led directly to goals? Must be a ridiculous number by now, seems to be every other week!
  • Options
    Enjoyed listening to Adkins there, spoke well and was honest without slagging anyone off which makes a change
  • Options
    In all my 60 years of following Charlton have rarely seen such as bad goal as their equaliser, (bar Naby at Wembley). Amos distribution awful. Think it's time to send Famewo back to Norwich and maybe give Barker a run out. Would like to see Maynard-Brewer given game time. Time after time Amos loves a short pass which mostly puts us in trouble. If Bowyer had subbed a sub (who had a decent game) would have been crucified. For me no New Manager Bounce. At least havn't got to waste a tenner for a couple of weeks as next game on Sky. Feel really pissed off!
  • Options
    It is very frustrating when we start playing out from the back. Teams know what we are going to do and they just press us and all that happens is we lose the ball or like today make a mistake that punished us. Not good enough to do it so dont bloody do it
  • Options
    I agree Mr Nigel doesn't sound too impressed and good thing too.

I'm sure he will bring in his own type of players as the mentality of some of this squad is appalling and and has been for months! 

As most of us have said for a while... we need a complete stripdown and start again.

Someone has already said it but I do agree that only 3/4 players could be retained.. maybe less. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    The concern for me is TS has said he thinks the squad is good enough... I think we need to rip it up and start again. I hope we're already planning for next season cause we're not going up this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tuesday and today, the last two games of the Bowyer era where we gift our opponents goals and concede at least two.  Adkins now has a chance to get something better from this group of players, if he can.
  • Options
    EUROPE HERE WE COME!
  • Options
    Roll on the summer rebuild.
    Also, did anyone else notice Washington massaging his hamstring before kick-off? Hope he didn't take a risk on his fitness and leave himself facing a lengthy lay-off.
  • Options
    Maatsen defending is poor, Purrington is much more dependable in that position.

Adkins doesn't sound too impressed with what his seen today.
    Blimey, I would be worried if he was!

Seriously, I think the reality of what he has got on his hands hit home this afternoon.
  • Options
    Typical of this season as a whole, too many mistakes and the nerves set in. We would have gone on to lose against a better side, Wimbledon well on top for the last 20 mins (Chuks' strike aside). One of the reasons I wasn't too vocal in the Bowyer criticism was I always felt the individuals we have are not good enough for a top 6 finish. Yes he made a lot of mistakes and poor decisions but bottom line is if the players aren't good enough it doesn't matter who the players are.

All that said I felt there were some good signs today. I liked the way we kept trying to switch the ball out wide quickly, JFC in particular was looking to play some lovely diagonals. Jayasemi looked more positive again, thought it was a bit odd to bring him off but can sort of understand wanting to leave Stockley on. Not sure if it's just me but Famewo doesn't look half the player as before his injury, could just be rusty but that's his sixth game back. 
  • Options
    Gunter needlessly kicked it up in the air on about 88 mins I thought it was George Ford launching a high punt over the game line to chase 
  • Options
    Nigel is very well spoken, you can see why is well respected by fans of his former clubs. 
  • Options
    Rome wasn't built in a day, good first half but habits crept in for the second. A lot of positives though, defensively we need work but I think we're in good hands
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Sooner the season is over the better for me, we need to rebuild from back to front. That second goal was absolutely inexcusable, both Amos and Famewo at fault, the latter more than the former, comical. They lack intelligence and don’t learn from mistakes which has cost us points all season. Forget play offs, this team isn’t good enough. I’m glad for the break as I think we all need it. 
  • Options
    What a pity we can’t hold onto a lead. Every confidence things will improve but sadly not enough for the remainder of this season. Defence ships far too many goals for us to be any sort of contenders for playoffs. That’s ok. Massive rebuild in the summer. I hope a couple of really solid central defenders are being hunted down. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021

A bit of same old, same old. You'd almost think Bowyer was still the manager.

We started well and despite losing Washo, settled nicely into the 3 across the middle and JFC sitting.
    In fact, during that 1st half, we looked really balanced and dangerous moving the ball forward.

A special shout to JFC. I thought he was superb today. 
    Lost our way with the changes in the 2nd half. Wimbledon were there for the taking, but you couldn't fault their effort and determination - perhaps they wanted it more?

And for those who want to watch the highlights later ....... if you are a of a nervous disposition, please switch off just before their 2nd goal.
    That's exactly what Famewo did ....... Akin what were you thinking??????!!!!!!!!

NB: Note to Akin: please, if in doubt Row Z. Every defender should know that.

• Options
    Very poor second half. Must be one of the worst goals we've given away in years but I've been half-expecting it with the way we've been playing this season.

I won't read too much into the game and Wimbledon deserved at least a point. Just disappointing.
  • Options
    Adkins on VP:

”Rollercoaster is the right word. Very interesting. Opportunity to see the lads live. 
    “Two good goals. Two horrendous goals. Early injury. First half was ok.”
    ”Second half started brightly but was very disappointing. Good position to win the game. Very disappointing with second goal.”
    ”Good couple of weeks now to see what can improve”
    The good thing is, I think all our various strengths and weaknesses were manifest today. Whether Adkins will have identified them all, such was the volume of good and bad in the game, is another matter but he should have had his eyes opened to the job he’s got on. 
  • Options
    I think there is an exaggeration on the amount of players we need and we have to be realistic. Sandgaard may well be willing to spend more than Roland was but talk of 15/16 players is madness IMO. We need about 6/7 quality players and then another 3/4 good squad players. 
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    We threw the three points away there.
    Luckily the last two seasons that has been rare. 😂
  • Options
    Free shot for NA today but we are still woeful under any kind of pressure.

Worst I have seen Fam play. Not just the goal his all round play was awful.

We really do need a complete clear out for next season.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I think their second is 50% Famewo and 50% Amos. In terms of Famewo, he could have just booted it out for a throw in. In terms of Amos, you have to a modicum of awareness. If Adkins does anything he needs to stop this stupid tactic. Only valid when opponents are nowhere near the ball.

Not sure when Millar and DJ were troubling their full backs why we changed it. I would have preferred Adkins to sit this game out in the stands. He needs to learn the limitations of the players and JJ would know what we can and can't do better at this stage.