Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic | Sat 20 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    Was DJ injured? Bowyer would have been slaughtered for subbing a sub today. 
    Nah he came on pretty early I don't know if I agreed with his sub, but timing wise he played longer than usual.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Was DJ injured? Bowyer would have been slaughtered for subbing a sub today. 
    He came on in the 2nd minute. It was hardly a Williams situation now was it. 
    I didn’t say it was. Asked a simple question if anyone noticed he was injured? Coming on in 2nd minute should still mean he’s capable of finishing the game.
    No you're saying Bowyer would have got slaughtered for making this sub, which is not true. He took Williams off out of spite, which is why he was rightly slaughtered.

DJ was taken off for (poor) tactical reasons. Two completely different things. 
  • Options
    Did Schwartz touch the ball?
    Does he ever? Other than the penalty of course 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Looked good with the two wingers on. not good enough for the entire second half. Can only think Millar and DJ came off for fitness reasons.

No idea why we switched to a diamond when that hasn’t worked all season. 4-4-2 or 4-5-1/4-3-3 is the way to go with this squad.

Said recently this looks more and more like a mid table side. Today hasn’t changed that. If everything went our way we could finish in the playoffs but the most likely outcome looks about 9th or 10th.

As before looking forward to the summer rebuild more than the next game. At least Adkins now has another 9 games in to assess the squad and start putting together that plan.

Peter Varney said the other day they had most of the 11/12 squad in place by April and we’re waiting for the transfer window to open. Such a similar situation compared to now. A lot of big decisions and planning to get right to have another season like 11/12 but that has to be the aim.
    I think we played all 4 of those formations. Three times.
  • Options
    Interesting how late Nigel Adkins has come on to ValleyPass compared with when Bowyer would do his interview
  • Options
    Interesting how late Nigel Adkins has come on to ValleyPass compared with when Bowyer would do his interview
    To busy reciting poetry ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Feels like a defeat. In fact this season feels like a defeat. It's a slow painful slide towards another season in League One. 
  • Options
    Any word on Washington? Sorry if someone has already mentioned it. 
  • Options
    sm said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Nope but not his fault again. We need to play the ball on the ground for Schwartz.
    Not much point having a fox in the box if you never put the ball in the box.
    Constantly see this argument in defence of Schwartz. I'm certainly in agreement with this for why he may not be scoring goals, but for me it's absolutely no excuse to not get on the ball and affect the game in some way. 
  • Options
    Millar is truly hopeless defensively, which is inexcusable in a midfield player nowadays. 
  • Options
    Adkins on VP:

”Rollercoaster is the right word. Very interesting. Opportunity to see the lads live. 
    “Two good goals. Two horrendous goals. Early injury. First half was ok.”
    ”Second half started brightly but was very disappointing. Good position to win the game. Very disappointing with second goal.”
    ”Good couple of weeks now to see what can improve”
    Continued:

”Shame about Conor. Hamstring. Needs to assessed.”
    ”Give DJ opportunity. He started brightly.”
    ”Great opportunity to observe them all. Shame second goal prevented us from winning the game.”
    ”I’ve got to get to know the players and there strengths. First game and first opportunity to see them”
    ”We’ve got a point away from home. But can’t keep conceding 2 goals”
    ”Plan in place for days in days off leading to Donny game. I’ll be watching under 23s game next week.”
    ”Conor won’t be going to international game now”
    ”Can’t understand why we made decision for second goal, but got time now to get to know the players”
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any word on Washington? Sorry if someone has already mentioned it. 
    Adkins has just said its unlikely he'll go on International duty, yet is also its unlikely he'll be on the training pitch
  • Options
    Six games undefeated. Four points thrown away by errors. There’s always next season. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    We're just a pretty average side really. Defence is useless, how the fuck Gunter has got 100 caps for Wales i don't know. I think i've seen him play well twice. I'd drop Amos and give Maynard-Brewer a run, he can't be any worse. Midfield is slow and the subs were bizarre (why did we take off both wingers?) and i think Schwartz has played about 10 games for us and touched the ball no more than twice in each one.

It's not all bad though, on the bright side at least we don't have a game for 2 weeks!

Basically Adkins needs to sign about 15 new players in the summer and rebuild the entire squad (which if he didn't know already, he'll soon find out).
  • Options
    Same old same old . All our attacking play stalled after Millar came off . Morgan is so overrated and Gunter should be binned off .Amos frustrates the fuck out of me . No one deserved man of the match today .
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    sm said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Nope but not his fault again. We need to play the ball on the ground for Schwartz.
    Not much point having a fox in the box if you never put the ball in the box.
    Constantly see this argument in defence of Schwartz. I'm certainly in agreement with this for why he may not be scoring goals, but for me it's absolutely no excuse to not get on the ball and affect the game in some way. 
    Just said to my Dad would prefer to see Josh Davidson running around like a headless chicken and run behind defenders than what we have the moment. 

Only reason I’m highlighting Schwartz is that the decision not get a defender in January is bizarre and will cost us promotion this season.
  • Options
    For me , Amos, Maatsen and Millar (even after a good first half) are benched next game innit
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    cabbles said:
    Got to love that new manager bounce. All 38 minutes of it.

Players just don’t care/want it enough. Strolling around towards the end there, second to way too many second balls in the second half.

Absolutely no way they would win the playoffs if by some miracle they get in.
    https://youtu.be/sd-n2G_U4Qk
    Spot on. Amos plodding around for a goal kick on the 89th.  That ball from Pratley behind and to the wrong side of Shinnie was laughable and I thought we were lucky to get a point in the end.  

So many players just can’t cut it. Another game conceding 2 goals. No disrespect to Maatsen because he’s young, but he looks poor.  He can’t defend. He’s got time to learn, but he needs to learn quick if he’s got any future above this sort of level. 

Just get the season over with. That second half sucked the life out of me and crushed any optimism I had following Adkins appointment.  
    It’s not Adkins squad! Some of these ‘experienced’ players are not players you can rely on...Pearce, Pratley, Amos, Gunter....
    I know.  It’s why I said it’s crushed any optimism I had following his appointment.  I thought he might be able to breathe some life into them (he still could), but ultimately that looked like a continuation of the dross we’ve had all season.  All those that you mention above I hope are at different clubs next season