Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic | Sat 20 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    The problem facing Adkins is the same one faced by Bowyer and demonstrated by the four goals.

Our two goals were high quality attacks that might have been seen in the Championship. 

Their two goals were both under 11 or at best, Sunday pub league standard.  

Not meant go be an insult to Wimbledon who played some good stuff....just making the point that we have a poor defence very prone to basic errors.

For me the problem is Pearce and possibly Gunter being too slow.  Even when they play, well we are so deep there is acres of space for the opposition to cut through. 

Of course,  that doesn't explain the stupid error from Famweo or the several stupid errors from Oshilaja in previous fixtures. 

So what is the short term solution other than dig trenches and erect barbed wire ?

• Options
    Amos should scream to Famewo, AWAY.
    Famewo that was a shocker. So embarrassing.

It's not Rocket science, they had a weakness down the flanks so keep Playing down the left to Millar who already had two assists and DJ was looking dangerous out wide.  If Millar has two players on him switch to DJ. Why did they both come inside ?

I have been watching a mid table League 1 team since November that gives away gifts.

We were unlucky to lose Conor in 3 minutes but after being in the lead twice, it's shows we just aren't good enough. 

I said 7th to 9th in where would we finish before the game. The Charlton free gifts strikes again. We give more to charity than comic relief.

I'm desperate for CAFC not to be a comedy club. I guess I will have to wait a little longer.

Good luck Nige and JJ because you have your work cut out.

I want to enjoy the rest of this season but it's impossible.

Two weeks now of waking up in the middle of the night screaming AWAY.

Thanks Akin Famewo. 

• Options
    If I were Nigel, I'd invest some time watching as many games back as possible and he'll see the problems, see who shouldn't have started today.  

Maatsen didn't prevent a single cross and every team knows to go after him.  He's a young lad and I like him but he's a liability right now and not a starter.  Him and Gunter can't seem to complete a decent pass.  

Amos is also a liability and MAB is a superb keeper, so that's a low risk swap IMO.

Those three things would shore us up defensively, help us keep the ball and then we have the players to create and score.

Not concerned about Famewo - he'll be back to his previous high standards once he's playing on the left side.  And with Innes back, even better.
  • Options

It's not Rocket science, they had a weakness down the flanks so keep Playing down the left to Millar who already had two assists and DJ was looking dangerous out wide.  If Millar has two players on him switch to DJ. Why did they both come inside ?

I have been watching a mid table League 1 team since November that gives away gifts.

We were unlucky to lose Conor in 3 minutes but after being in the lead twice, it's shows we just aren't good enough. 

I said 7th to 9th in where would we finish before the game. The Charlton free gifts strikes again. We give more to charity than comic relief.

I'm desperate for CAFC not to be a comedy club. I guess I will have to wait a little longer.

Thanks Akin Famewo

Think we've got a chance of signing him now! Silver linings. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I have said all season we are a bang average side. If everyone is playing to their best and with a modicum of luck we look good, but that is a rarity.
    We won the previous game and got into the top six and are on an unbeaten run. There can be no excuse of lack of confidence. Players do not look after the ball and give it way far to often. 
    Millar tried a back heel deep in our half. Got away with it, but that’s not the point. It was a stupid decision, as are a lot of decisions made by our players. There are a lot of good footballers about, but the best invariably make the correct decision. 
    Mistakes happen, and good players learn from them. Our players don’t.

Adkins needs to do what CP did. Find out who is signing up for next season that he would like to keep. I include Famewo, Foster-Caskey, Chucks, Stockley, Innis, DS, Washington, Morgan and Shinnie as the start of a squad.
    Then he should play our players, either from the first team squad or the youth teams and decide where he needs to strengthen to play the formation he wants. Start looking for who maybe available.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We led twice against a relegation team and ended the game time wasting to protect a point. 
    We are pants. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    There are so many players in the squad that are not up to it. This is one of the worse squads that I can remember - there isn’t one player I would be sorry to see the back of . The 2 full backs were an absolute disgrace today. Wimbledon targeted Maatsen today and rightly so - what I would say is he is still learning. Gunter has no excuse. He has played 550 career games and is 1 short of 100 international caps - yet he looks like a novice. 

Whatever way we set up, we just look weak and devoid of ideas. I wouldn’t expect is to win even if we were 3-0 up. Some of the goals we have conceded this season have been embarrassing. I have no problem with leaking goals if the opposition work for them. But we give them out on a plate. The good news is Adkins has the experience and bollocks to change it - unlike the last bloke. 
  • Options
    Free shot for NA today but we are still woeful under any kind of pressure.

Worst I have seen Fam play. Not just the goal his all round play was awful.

We really do need a complete clear out for next season.

Famewo hasn't looked as good since the injury. Yes you expect young players to make mistakes, but he's making more of them now than he did in the autumn, you can see why Norwich have loaned him out

Famewo had a bit of a mare 2nd half today, but I do feel you're being a bit harsh on the fella.

He's recently come back after a missing a good chunk of the season. If you've been a player, you'll know how hard it can be to come back into the side after a long injury lay off ..... everybody's a bit sharper, more stamina, more decisive and confident. It takes a while to get back to where you left off before the injury.

Although today's cock up was unforgivable. But then he himself was the first person to know that.
    10,000 other people telling him afterwards doesn't really help.

• Options
    Really frustrated by this one. 2-1 up, looking like we would score every time we attacked their right side and then we go and change formation. At times I thought Bowyer paid to much attention to how the opposition played rather than concentrating on our strengths, let’s hope it’s not repeated.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    To be honest I wouldn't mind a Powellesque clearing of the decks bar Schwartz and Jaiyesimi and any youth players. Purely because they're promising for me still.

I’d like to say I see promise in Schwartz, but I’ve only seen him touch the ball twice. The goal and the pen. Not sure if that’s his fault or not.
    You have to have missed him hitting the post and having a goal incorrectly disallowed then? 

He has also only been on the pitch with the creative players four or five times, every time alongside Stockley or Aneke. Neither play a ball along the floor or over the top well for Schwartz to run onto. He's always waiting for the ball he can turn and run onto. 

He does need to realise he can do more, but in fairness to him, he's been given mostly tiny cameos.
    Now you mention it yes he also hit the post, and had one ruled out. Poor guy has hardly played football in months. Get him some U23 action or something. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    To be honest I wouldn't mind a Powellesque clearing of the decks bar Schwartz and Jaiyesimi and any youth players. Purely because they're promising for me still.

I’d like to say I see promise in Schwartz, but I’ve only seen him touch the ball twice. The goal and the pen. Not sure if that’s his fault or not.
    You have to have missed him hitting the post and having a goal incorrectly disallowed then? 

He has also only been on the pitch with the creative players four or five times, every time alongside Stockley or Aneke. Neither play a ball along the floor or over the top well for Schwartz to run onto. He's always waiting for the ball he can turn and run onto. 

He does need to realise he can do more, but in fairness to him, he's been given mostly tiny cameos.
    Now you mention it yes he also hit the post, and had one ruled out. Poor guy has hardly played football in months. Get him some U23 action or something. 
    Yeah I'd be putting him through some U23s action, he won't improve on tiny cameos.
  • Options
    We've tried doing this for ages, but I've never understood why we play out from the back in the way we do, with the CB picking it up in their own box, as it never leads to progressive passing moves forward. Leaving aside today's disaster, the main results are generally - 

Scenario 1 - the CB is closed down and passes it back to the keeper who hoofs it
    Scenario 2 - the CB is closed down and hoofs it
    Scenario 3 - the CB has no forward option, so passes it sideways to another defender, and after a passage of play, it ends up back with the keeper who hoofs it

Our CBs aren't good enough on the ball to bring the ball forward, gliding past a couple of opponents before a defence splitting pass. And their long passing abilities are no better than the keeper's anyway
    I agree. I can see the lose in this tactic but can't see the win!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:

And if people are going to start slagging off the new manager after one game and two days, it’s clear CL is in for a bumpy ride. 
    That's the problem with the Post Match Thread though ....... after a let down result, some people are full of knee-jerk responses, fuelled by emotion and disappointment, needing to pin blame on someone to release their own anguish.

Sometimes it's better just to let some time pass, reflect on the game and the bigger picture later or next day?

That’s what the Post Post Match thread is for
  • Options
    Actually I thought our midfield played well & probably some of the best forward passing I've seen this season. The ball to Millar for our 2nd being one of them & another to Maatsen in the 2nd half where he passed on to Millar (who then f**ked up his pass). 

Cant really blame NA for the subs & formations as the first was forced on him very early on - although having 3 strikers on the pitch for the last 10 mins but no wide men to supply them was pretty strange......esp as our midfield were tiring & could hardly pick a pass out to anyone up front.

Might be controversial but thinking we should be looking at next season now & play some of the youngsters in defence instead of Famewo & Pearce who both wont be here next season. Pair Barker & Innis together & see how they get on. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:

And if people are going to start slagging off the new manager after one game and two days, it’s clear CL is in for a bumpy ride. 
    That's the problem with the Post Match Thread though ....... after a let down result, some people are full of knee-jerk responses, fuelled by emotion and disappointment, needing to pin blame on someone to release their own anguish.

Sometimes it's better just to let some time pass, reflect on the game and the bigger picture later or next day?

In a perverse way, for me, the most reassuring thing about today's game is that, with those around us having games in hand, it limits our time sitting in an unreal position in the League - and will help focus minds on rebuilding sooner.

The players lack the passion and ambition for our club that even a better roster requires for a realistic tilt at promotion.

I'm doubtful about the presence of much live wood in the squad worth retaining, as we look towards a summer clear-out.
  • Options
    dickad1 said:

Thanks Akin Famewo

Think we've got a chance of signing him now! Silver linings. 

Good point.
    If anyone from Norwich see that we will get Akin on a free !

He is a good young player dispite him giving away yet another contender for worse goal conceded this season.
    Before the mistake he was looking strong but his head went a bit after the error.

After the own goal at Wembley I remember thinking we will never give away such a poor goal again. We have six in the frame from this season alone. Plus a dozen goals which were poor if conceded in the Conference south.

Only just had time to listen to Nige on valley pass. I'm still surprised that we changed DJ and Millar's positions  when were 2-1 up. 
    We gave them too much respect when we should have gone for the jugular when we were in the lead.

I would rather Joe Pigott had scored a worldy to make it Desmond Tutu.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    esseffect said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    To be fair the last two fixtures it seems like were Jackson sides. I am not surprised they looked like Bowyer performances still. It's also only been 5 days.
    That’s a stretch getting his name in here to find blame.
    How?

This team was moulded by Bowyer. 

It's going to take more than 2-3 days under a new manager and 2 days under his understudy to undo the negativity and lack of belief he has put into these players.

You're a Bowyer Fanboy we get it, but if it was Powell or Curbs as last manager I'd say that you can't change the entire morale and chemistry after 5 days.

That can take weeks or months.

I’m not a Boywer fan boy lol. Just how long does he have to been gone before you stop blaming him.
  • Options
    Actually I thought our midfield played well & probably some of the best forward passing I've seen this season. The ball to Millar for our 2nd being one of them & another to Maatsen in the 2nd half where he passed on to Millar (who then f**ked up his pass). 

Cant really blame NA for the subs & formations as the first was forced on him very early on - although having 3 strikers on the pitch for the last 10 mins but no wide men to supply them was pretty strange......esp as our midfield were tiring & could hardly pick a pass out to anyone up front.

Might be controversial but thinking we should be looking at next season now & play some of the youngsters in defence instead of Famewo & Pearce who both wont be here next season. Pair Barker & Innis together & see how they get on. 
    Our midfield tends to do better with the bar than without it. This is a priority for Adkins to get to grips with.