Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic | Sat 20 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    I have no idea why we changed formation. Up until then, I thought, for the first time in weeks that we looked like a proper football team. Albie and Shinnie were pulling the strings in midfield and Millar was skinning the fullback.
    The players need to know how and where they are expected to play, then stick with it. If players like Albie suddenly become ineffectual, due to formation change, then we lose all creativity and he may as well be taken off, as he was !
  • Options
    Didn't LB say that Watson has now triggered the extension in his contract a few weeks back? 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I thought we had found a formation that worked when we stumbled upon playing Watson in front of the back four (when Pratley was injured). It seemed quite effective, even when Pratley returned at RCB for a game or two. I was surprised when JJ dropped that formation for the Rovers match. 
    Watson was beginning to show why he was so highly regarded at Forest. I wonder if NA might try it again after watching recordings of our recent matches? I feel our midfield is much too lightweight without a proper defensive midfielder at its heart. 
    I thought he had one good game there and then reverted to being woeful in the next one.  

I believe he hasn't quite triggered his extension yet, so with just nine games left, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't start again. He's no doubt a healthy chunk of change from the wage budget, and does he represent value? He's been inconsistent at best, and next season those already heavy legs are another year older.
    Not sure that’s right. I seem to remember it worked well for two or three games and Watson scored well in the statbank in those games? It certainly stopped us losing games. 
    If they’re not playing him to avoid triggering that clause I’d understand, but that also seems risky if it affects our form. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I thought we had found a formation that worked when we stumbled upon playing Watson in front of the back four (when Pratley was injured). It seemed quite effective, even when Pratley returned at RCB for a game or two. I was surprised when JJ dropped that formation for the Rovers match. 
    Watson was beginning to show why he was so highly regarded at Forest. I wonder if NA might try it again after watching recordings of our recent matches? I feel our midfield is much too lightweight without a proper defensive midfielder at its heart. 
    I thought he had one good game there and then reverted to being woeful in the next one.  

I believe he hasn't quite triggered his extension yet, so with just nine games left, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't start again. He's no doubt a healthy chunk of change from the wage budget, and does he represent value? He's been inconsistent at best, and next season those already heavy legs are another year older.
    Not sure that’s right. I seem to remember it worked well for two or three games and Watson scored well in the statbank in those games? It certainly stopped us losing games. 
    If they’re not playing him to avoid triggering that clause I’d understand, but that also seems risky if it affects our form. 
    It's no coincidence that in the last 6 games, since he came back from injury we have conceded an average of 2 goals in the games he didn't start and 0.5 in the ones he started.

No problem with him and JFC + 1.  
  • Options
    New Manager Bounce.  Charlton style.
    Think there was .. when we switch to 4231 after Washington went off thought we looked very good best I seem Millar and DJ play 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Didn't LB say that Watson has now triggered the extension in his contract a few weeks back? 
    I read he was "set to" trigger the extension but not sure. If he has triggered it, I'm devastated.
  • Options
    I'm interested to see how Adkins gets us playing in the final few games, but after initially being very positive, I'm starting to think that Stockley is not what we need if we're going for top 2 next year. I know this is mad, because he's scored a decent amount, including today, but the technique, mobility and passing has me worried. Can't put my finger on it.

(Not wanting to single out Stockley as he was nowhere near the worst performer today, it's just been nagging away at me in the last few games, when I would have signed him up after his first few games for us.)
    Its the general lack of accuracy of team mates in lumping the ball up to him. The knockdown is rarely picked up or is at a height that is difficult for Stockley to control. 
  • Options
    Well we could have our very own programme of football clangers! 
    However, yesterday’s game actually gave me a bit of clarity regarding our squad.
    Technically, our players are fine. But what makes a technically good player, a good/average/excellent player overall is the decision making. The younger players can be excused, as they are still learning. But our issues as a squad stem from very poor decision making by our senior players.
    Decision making is most acute with a goalkeeper, all keepers can save, but anticipation, reading the situation, and acting accordingly are key to a good keeper. This then provides a solid base to build a defence. Amos is very poor in this area.
    Gunter, experienced, enthusiastic, but there is a reason he was available, and his poor passing at times, and poor positioning tells us why.
    Pearce, bless his cottons, is the epitome of a captain, but he is cumbersome, slow, and tends to let the ball bounce, when it should be cleared.
    Pratley, that pass to Shinnie sums him up, killed the move stone dead. Full of enthusiasm, but a headless chicken, who can only pass sideways. And naive at fouling of course!
    We are in League One, so we need to make allowances, I think there is a place for Pearce, but not to start.  With Pratley or Watson, at the midfield base, I prefer Watson, tidier player, you don’t need both. Matthews is not the player he was at the moment, but that may be down to confidence, and Gunter being there. But they need to be swapped. Amos, well I don’t think he will improve, so give Maynard-Brewer a chance. 
    If we can make at least these positions better, we have a basis.
    Midfield, and attack just need a chance to gel, ie less changing personnel and tactics. Thought NA answered the tactical theory correctly, have a priority base, to be used consistently, with an option to change.
    Having said all that the question is, do we try to adjust this squad to try and stay in the play offs, or start planning for next season now, and give others a shout. Either way there’s not a lot of games left.

• Options
    What a babtism of fire  that was for Adkins, he took an age to appear on VP for the post match stuff with Scott, must have been giving a long talk to the players of where they let themselves down, and we did big time with that bloody cock up equaliser, while it is still very fresh in everybodies  minds.
    Shame about Washington's departure, but why did he not do like for like with Chuks, as it turned out it was a good descision with the arrival of DJ, but was not the first choice starting lineup, but then we seemed we changed up so many times, loosing both wide players, and ending up with three strikers with little supply, just shows how we are reliant on Washington.
    Sure that the next two weeks will be used wisely and give Adkins plenty of time to asses what he has got here, and will be an interesting line up come Apr 2nd.
  • Options
    Another poster made the point yesterday when he went through the possible outcomes of Amos making that pass to Famewo. None of them resulted in anything better than him booting it out. And it isn't the first time this has cost us a goal this season. That is criminal IMO.

To be fair to Amos, his dealing with crosses is a strength and his distribution by hand was decent yesterday. I think we need to apply a rule with him that goal kicks are proper goal kicks and he has to be more aware of the risks when making short balls to a defender.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The goalkeeper should be able to use his initiative when passing out from the back and sometimes choose the better option.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Adkins - Sandgaard - Groome - Sandgaard’s evil twin?
    Thomas doesn't look too impressed, must have been after the match
  • Options
    It's fkin headscratching this playing in your 6 yard box, I watched Fulham the other week against City and their CHs were behind the keeper who was on the 6 yard box to start play.
    Everytime they lost possession or gave a throw away by their own corner flag. I had to turn it off, just can't see any sense in it at all. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Thomas doesn't look too impressed, must have been after the match
    This was taken just before he booted Adkins down the steps 
  • Options
    It's like a quiz that I don't think many will get wrong in life:

-You have somebody who is 6ft2 and main skill is in the air.
    -You have a left footed centre back playing on the right hand side of defence. 

Who do you opt to target the ball towards?
  • Options
    vff said:
    I'm interested to see how Adkins gets us playing in the final few games, but after initially being very positive, I'm starting to think that Stockley is not what we need if we're going for top 2 next year. I know this is mad, because he's scored a decent amount, including today, but the technique, mobility and passing has me worried. Can't put my finger on it.

(Not wanting to single out Stockley as he was nowhere near the worst performer today, it's just been nagging away at me in the last few games, when I would have signed him up after his first few games for us.)
    Its the general lack of accuracy of team mates in lumping the ball up to him. The knockdown is rarely picked up or is at a height that is difficult for Stockley to control. 
    I remember my father saying just this 30 years ago when we were doing the same with Leaburn. It's very difficult for the "lone" striker to accurately head or chest the ball to a team mate, especially when being barged/tussled/ pulled by an opponent. Probably happens 1 in 10. Majority of the time the ball is won by the opponent & when the "lone" striker actually does win the ball the header falls short/long/nowhere near a team mate.

It's a shame because Stockley has scored a good amount of goals & I wouldn't mind seeing him here next season - but not at the expense of then not playing fast attacking football to feet. Lumping it forward to a target man should only be used in the last 5 mins of a game when all else has failed.
  • Options
    A decent little break for NA to see what he has to work with. With so many loans and players close to the end of their contract this summer will see a major rebuild whatever he thinks of the current squad.

Whether it is a loss of confidence or just that the squad isn’t very good I’m hoping the break to the next game gives them a chance to improve. The play-offs are looking increasingly remote - I find it hard thinking back to earlier in the season when I was dreaming of an an automatic spot and thinking a play-off spot almost a let-down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nigel has inherited a really poor squad.

I have been a regular at the Valley for 54 years and this squad is probably the worst I have seen in all of that time. Little ability, and zero confidence.

The younger players appear to be low on confidence.
    Probably because they all to often, have been the scapegoats for poor team performances.

Whilst the senior players seem disinterested.
    Probably because they know that they will be looking for a new club come the summer.

If, and I don't think it will happen we make the play offs, I would imagine we will lose like we did againt Swindon in 2010, and Shrewsbury in 2018.

I am sure that Nigel and Thomas both know that this squad needs a massive overhaul. With the exception of 4 or 5 players the club needs to recruit replacements for about 18 - 20 players. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It’s a Reading best buddies sandwich 
  • Options
    One of you twitterati see Jimmy stones compilation of shit goals conceded and put up on here for all to drool over , total football the Charlton way 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    https://mobile.twitter.com/home

fuck me nice links fffs ignore this shit 
  • Options
    4 maybe 5 on the bounce ...how do you like them apples
  • Options
    What a video collection! 

• Options
    The thing that infuriates me is kicking the ball with the outside of your foot for a 6 yard pass. 

There is a time and place for an outside of the foot pass but in your own 6yd box is criminal. 
  • Options
    I think this break has come at a great time for NA to get to grips with the team. It's a luxury not usually afforded to managers coming in mid-season and hopefully he can use this time to sort out our system, best 11 for that system, build confidence and cohesion within the squad and try to get on top of these silly mistakes that seem to cost us every week at both ends.

He's got his work cut out for sure! 
  • Options
    Reading some of the post match stuff, I’m a bit concerned about the assistant manager thing.
    Adkins has always worked with Crosby but  has been told to come in and work with JJ and Bowyer’s backroom set-up.  

Didn’t we do similar with Dowie? 
    Not sure that works.

Thomas is so positive but I think sometimes gets it a bit wrong. The apology to the fan yesterday and JJ staying at all costs. 

Early days, I know.