Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic | Sat 20 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Fumbluff said:
    Didn’t take long for the positive shine to fall off eh
    There were no positives in a washed up unemployed manager unless you saw them. 
    Bowyer was right to give the team hell and poor boys run off crying to their mums or agents as they are actually just shit. 
    Sad Goodbye GIFs  Tenor
    He's gone.  

F*** Bowyer. Diamond geezer pwoper Charlton or rat-faced bullying opportunist, take your pick.

I'm interested to see how NA makes a silk purse out of this sows ear.

Jaiyesimi and Stockley both scored today.  Millar assisted both of the goals.

Onward and upwards.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    To be honest I wouldn't mind a Powellesque clearing of the decks bar Schwartz and Jaiyesimi and any youth players. Purely because they're promising for me still.

I’d like to say I see promise in Schwartz, but I’ve only seen him touch the ball twice. The goal and the pen. Not sure if that’s his fault or not.

And if people are going to start slagging off the new manager after one game and two days, it’s clear CL is in for a bumpy ride. 
    That's the problem with the Post Match Thread though ....... after a let down result, some people are full of knee-jerk responses, fuelled by emotion and disappointment, needing to pin blame on someone to release their own anguish.

Sometimes it's better just to let some time pass, reflect on the game and the bigger picture later or next day?

That’s what the Post Post Match thread is for
    That truly deserved a lol 

haha

:smile:

• Options
    Actually I thought our midfield played well & probably some of the best forward passing I've seen this season. The ball to Millar for our 2nd being one of them & another to Maatsen in the 2nd half where he passed on to Millar (who then f**ked up his pass). 

Cant really blame NA for the subs & formations as the first was forced on him very early on - although having 3 strikers on the pitch for the last 10 mins but no wide men to supply them was pretty strange......esp as our midfield were tiring & could hardly pick a pass out to anyone up front.

Might be controversial but thinking we should be looking at next season now & play some of the youngsters in defence instead of Famewo & Pearce who both wont be here next season. Pair Barker & Innis together & see how they get on. 
    Our midfield tends to do better with the bar than without it. This is a priority for Adkins to get to grips with. 
    Ah, I see ........ it's a drink problem.  :smile:

• Options
    It seems whoever is playing, mistakes can be made. I think there can sometimes be an erosion of confidence when mistakes happen so often and the best cure would be two or three clean sheets on the bounce.
  • Options
    Im sure NA realised the task in more detail today. I said to my old man today was NA's own scouting mission.

Millars best game in a while but defensively he has to improve...appreciate thats not his general game but we dont have the luxury of players who can cover for him whilst he neglects that side of the game.

If he is watching the U23s then I reckon Mingi or Barker may be in the next squad and I hope this is the case...if you are good enough, you are old enough. 

First half we were good...positive and forward thinking. Thought DJ looked good and NA will be a great man manager for him after Bowyers piss poor attempt at that side of things. 

Second half we took our foot off the gas but that defensive cock up put the wind in there sails and it was uphill from there. 

Personally I feel Famewo is more responsible than Amos for that mess. He is good enough to not panic in that situation & had more than enough time to clear his lines but at the end of the day, a professional football player should not be doing that...ever. I find it embarrassing to watch so cant imagine how he is feeling but he has 9 games to dust himself off and make up for it.

Liked Adkins post match interview....really feel like he will get into the nitty gritty of the team and work out the kinks. 

Dont think we need a MASSIVE overhaul but there a certainly some players that will know they havent done it this season. 

Onwards and upwards!!
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Bowyer was right to give the team hell and poor boys run off crying to their mums or agents as they are actually just shit. 
    The Zulus lost  3-0 today.
  • Options
    I said this at HT -
    Excellent football by Charlton 1st half.
    The best we've played since we last played AFC, when we ripped them apart and scored 4 in the 2nd half.

Promising, but I'm not getting carried away as AFC are our ideal opposition.
    A team that keeps it wide open as opposed to a team that sticks everyone behind the ball and we struggle to break down. 

2nd half we were fine until Famewo gifted the equaliser. 1-2 and in control.
    In fact as per usual I said we've got this in the bag, there is no way AFC look like scoring a goal and voila the ball's in our net 10 seconds later.

We were poor after their equaliser and a draw was a fair result.
    I give some credit to AFC who looked more like a play off contender than relegation contender.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Wimbledon's biggest weakness is in defence. Ok they don't score shedloads, but they can play and compete. We looked to have the beating of their full backs nine times out of ten which made it a bit surprising we changed the way we set up.

Even so, had we not gifted them the goal, we would almost certainly have won that game. And I'm sorry, Amos has to take the blame for poor decision making along with Famewo. We do have to build in an ability to assess when to make a pass. I think it has been an issue this season across the pitch that we pass too often to team mates in a worse position.
  • Options
    Bad as the 2nd goal was,the 1st was shocking,the guy was in our box,Pearce was 6 foot away,the guy turned freely twice with 3-4 other spectators rooted to the spot,and basically placed the ball unchallenged into our net.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I think Steve Brown rightly pointed out that Pearce slipped, as did Amos just before. The slip gave their player the split second he needed to get a shot in. I think it is one of those things.
  • Options
    Amos, AMB, Matthews, Gunter, Innis, Pearce, Deji, Famewo, Purrington, Maatsen, Millar, DJ, Shinnie, JFC, Pratley, Gilbey, Watson, Morgan, Schwartz, Aneke, Washington and Stockley.

Would probably keep the above.  Need a whole new defence.  Most of the above only squad players too.
  • Options
    The squad is bang average and doesn’t have the collective or individual stomach to be able to dig in and battle. No real diamonds to get excited about and quite honestly if we ended up shifting out most of them I think it would be a blessing. There are a handful I’d keep but that’s about it. I’m really glad that Adkins has this period of games to get a handle on what’s needed and I hope and expect TS to support him to the hilt otherwise what’s the point. Already looking forward to the rumours thread which this year should be a corker. COYR
  • Options
    I'm interested to see how Adkins gets us playing in the final few games, but after initially being very positive, I'm starting to think that Stockley is not what we need if we're going for top 2 next year. I know this is mad, because he's scored a decent amount, including today, but the technique, mobility and passing has me worried. Can't put my finger on it.

(Not wanting to single out Stockley as he was nowhere near the worst performer today, it's just been nagging away at me in the last few games, when I would have signed him up after his first few games for us.)
    Think the issue is the lack of support for him, everything is launched at his head, the lack of coherent attacking play means he often has no one to pass to. We either punt it up to him expecting him to beat the other teams CBs or he has no runners or support to pass too. 
  • Options
    let's see what happens in a couple of weeks. It is probably good Adkins has a couple of weeks. There are a few questions that need answers, but the season isn't over yet.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Of course,  that doesn't explain the stupid error from Famweo or the several stupid errors from Oshilaja in previous fixtures. 
    Poor old Oshi getting both barrels again. One misdirected header that (unlike Famewo’s) led to a goal from long range. And whatever the other one was? I think Famewo has probably made more errors in the last two games than Deji did in his six game run which included a MOTM and regular high positions in the statbank. 
    Not that he’s great or anything, but people exaggerate his errors, as they did with Naby. 
    Not trying to blame Oshi just making  the point that if Pearce and Gunter being decrepit is the key issue it doesn't explain silly mistakes from other players.  
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Guessing you are not happy with the appointment then?

Who did you want? Not "a washed up unemployed manager" like Howe/Wilder/Laudrup/Cowley/Curbishley?

• Options
    Addick_8 said:
    I’d love to know what goes through Ben Amos head to take 20 seconds on goal kicks when we have about 40 seconds left in the game. 

It’s not the first time he’s done it. It’s like we are winning.. Jesus christ!
    Yes, I was shouting at him from the sofa. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    For about the 30th game in a row, I remain astonished and infuriated by the types who come on here after the match and turn their attentions immediately onto Ian Maatsen rather than any of our other players who all ran, tackled and intercepted less than him. What did he do wrong this time? He's about the only player in our squad who would have kept up with that second-half break and he was a bit unlucky not to block the eventual cross, which missed everyone anyway. Apart from that he looked completely comfortable and was involved in most of our confident interchanges? While Gunter on the other side was just hoofing it pointlessly and loping about at 70% of Maatsen's speed?
  • Options
    Was pretty cool about it really... we are shite, used to that, cricket result came in, shite! Then turned on the rugby, this'll be shite!  Quite happy with it all, just a shite weekend of sport, you do get em...

Then at 21.05 tonight I find myself mellow and logged on after a nice curry with my daughter and ex-Mrs, very cordial and I think,  hmmm... let's have a look at the Sky Sports highlights.  Nice first goal,  bugger second's a bit guff but well done Wombles...  great second for us, then,

Worse than Wembley that one, quite a feat of fucktitude!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    995632 said:
    I'm interested to see how Adkins gets us playing in the final few games, but after initially being very positive, I'm starting to think that Stockley is not what we need if we're going for top 2 next year. I know this is mad, because he's scored a decent amount, including today, but the technique, mobility and passing has me worried. Can't put my finger on it.

(Not wanting to single out Stockley as he was nowhere near the worst performer today, it's just been nagging away at me in the last few games, when I would have signed him up after his first few games for us.)
    Think the issue is the lack of support for him, everything is launched at his head, the lack of coherent attacking play means he often has no one to pass to. We either punt it up to him expecting him to beat the other teams CBs or he has no runners or support to pass too. 
    I do agree, and would like to see him in a team that overloads on the flanks and whips balls in at will. I just have a nagging doubt about his touch and mobility, probably compounded by the chance to turn in the box that ended up being a handball.
  • Options
    995632 said:

I do agree, and would like to see him in a team that overloads on the flanks and whips balls in at will. I just have a nagging doubt about his touch and mobility, probably compounded by the chance to turn in the box that ended up being a handball.
    Touch and mobility - Adkins did have Lambert at Southampton who wasn't the quickest of most mobile. (no, I'm not saying Stockley is as good as prime Ruckie Lambert!) He just has shown he is able to set a team up to negate a lack of pace and to utilise players other strengths.

Could even see DJ being converted into a Leko type striker to run off Stockley and have a trick or two to create space and chances. 
  • Options
    Admittedly, I dipped in and out of the game today ybut the parts I did watch we looked fresh and attacked with intent, certain players looked lively and happy. 

Stupid error at the back cost us, but one I can accept. We over played it with the simple 5 yards passes  but you can't knock a team for trying to build from the back and only hope they learn.

Majority of people wrote this season off, let's use these last games to ascertain what is required to win the league next year.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leuth said:
    For about the 30th game in a row, I remain astonished and infuriated by the types who come on here after the match and turn their attentions immediately onto Ian Maatsen rather than any of our other players who all ran, tackled and intercepted less than him. What did he do wrong this time? He's about the only player in our squad who would have kept up with that second-half break and he was a bit unlucky not to block the eventual cross, which missed everyone anyway. Apart from that he looked completely comfortable and was involved in most of our confident interchanges? While Gunter on the other side was just hoofing it pointlessly and loping about at 70% of Maatsen's speed?
    Fancy talking about the game overall? Your constant defence of Maatsen is boring and frankly a little weird. 

For the record, I dont think he played bad today.
    The game overall? Bringing DJ on was an inspired call, first half was excellent. Then I'm not really sure what happened, but it didn't feel like they were going to score until the error.

I hope we continue to play it out from the back. Famewo is a decent defender but given how he was billed as the New Sarr on arrival....I mean, he's considerably inferior to Jason Pearce on the ball. That said, he needs to get comfortable with receiving it.

The final substitution roll-of-dice was embarrassing. Pratley and Schwartz on, all width off. Adkins now has 2 weeks to learn what the members of his squad can and can't do. 

But above all, don't take off both Millar and DJ. We are always very likely to need at least one of them. 
  • Options
    Why does this set of players dangle a carrot then follow it up with shite every time.  So inconsistent and lacklustre.

Bowyer mentioned that the squad needs stability and not to sign 12 players every summer, well that was probably his worst statement yet, that’s exactly what we need too many passengers in this side.

Forster-Caskey, Washington about the only two I’m interested in seeing start next season.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Amos has to be told to kick the ball, and not to flaff around with it near the box. If he cant trust his kicking then he practices and improves, or gets replaced. We have created far too many of own problems this year losing the ball in the box, or not being able to get the ball out of our half FFS.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Fancy talking about the game overall? Your constant defence of Maatsen is boring and frankly a little weird. 

For the record, I dont think he played bad today.
    The game overall? Bringing DJ on was an inspired call, first half was excellent. Then I'm not really sure what happened, but it didn't feel like they were going to score until the error.

I hope we continue to play it out from the back. Famewo is a decent defender but given how he was billed as the New Sarr on arrival....I mean, he's considerably inferior to Jason Pearce on the ball. That said, he needs to get comfortable with receiving it.

The final substitution roll-of-dice was embarrassing. Pratley and Schwartz on, all width off. Adkins now has 2 weeks to learn what the members of his squad can and can't do. 

But above all, don't take off both Millar and DJ. We are always very likely to need at least one of them. 
    Nice! I can agree with majority of that! 

Fully agree that Millar or DJ should be on the pitch...personally think it should be DJ as he offers more. 
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Amos has to be told to kick the ball, and not to flaff around with it near the box. If he cant trust his kicking then he practices and improves, or gets replaced. We have created far too many of own problems this year losing the ball in the box, or not being able to get the ball out of our half FFS.
    should have the footballing intelligence to make a decision to go long. Adkins mentioned his disappointment at the decision making of some players.
  • Options
    995632 said:
    995632 said:

Touch and mobility - Adkins did have Lambert at Southampton who wasn't the quickest of most mobile. (no, I'm not saying Stockley is as good as prime Ruckie Lambert!) He just has shown he is able to set a team up to negate a lack of pace and to utilise players other strengths.

Could even see DJ being converted into a Leko type striker to run off Stockley and have a trick or two to create space and chances. 
    Yeah I was thinking about Lambert. He was never the quickest, but his ball striking, touch and technique took him to the Prem, where he didn't disgrace himself (as you've said). It'll be interesting to see what type of players we can bring in over the summer. In the meantime I hope Adkins can at least bring some dynamism to the players we currently have.