Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Maddison returns

Comments

• Options
    He needs to look in the mirror, 'abuse' 'pressures' he has been given every opportunity under the sun and decent contacts and not repaid that with any loyalty or effort, staying in hotel rooms instead of turning up to games is unforgivable. I don't want to appear unsensitive to mental health as I believe it to be a serious problem but this man has been given a gift and wasted the good will of people giving him chances, he has always had an attitude problem, perhaps exasperated by mental health struggles but the problem lies with his own work ethic. Given the state of some people in poverty in this country his lazy attitude to earning money some people could only dream of is Frankly insulting and my sympathy is limited.
    Well that's a shame, because you have. I'm afraid you don't have a clue how mental illness works so I would suggest you avoid commenting on it. Mental health issues don't care about how many chances you are given. Would you tell someone with a broken leg that they were given loads of chances to walk and then question their loyalty when their leg gave out from under them? It doesn't matter how much money someone is offered or how many times it happens, if you aren't in a position where your mental health is being dealt with then you won't get any better. Maddison clearly needs to take a step away from football now because everything he's tried before hasn't worked. He tried moving away and starting fresh, which is a common approach to trying to fix things when you're in a rut but sometimes you just hit a point where you realise you need serious help, and he's clearly hit that point. When you have bad depression getting out of bed can be a struggle, doesn't matter how many thousands of pounds are dangled in front of you. Maybe hold on to your limited sympathy.
    Again, I've acknowledged my comments were wrong 
    I just saw that you had after I'd posted. I am apparently a slow typer. Fair play to you, I respect anyone who's willing to do that, especially in the faceless internet age.

No problem, quite a lengthy post so I should have noticed you wouldn't have seen my apology 
  • Options
    PWR
    We have Charlton Community Trust etc and we put the club forward as a family club. Surely we should be seen to be helping this perhaps tortured soul. Mental health is banded about alot these days. Should we not 'lead the way' as a caring organisation.
  • Options
    Whilst I did take the piss out of his "antics", it appears MM's defense mechanism of being a decent footballer has diminished and we are now seeing the actual person, not the person he wishes to portray via his footballing ability or persona . I.e he must be fine, he's been in great form on the pitch, the social media posts etc. Etc.. 

The fact he has decided to take time away from the game is good, because he realises its not making him any better and he needs to concentrate on himself. I do hope however that both ourselves and Bolton liase with him on a daily basis to make sure he is doing fine and they are there for him to talk to if required.

The current culture of social media is toxic and only heightens individuals feelings when they use them as source to make themselves feel better because for every few positive comments you can bet your bottom dollar there is 2x more hate directly personally back and that unfortunately is the current society.
  • Options
    I would hope that the club are making the right moves to ensure he gets the help he needs. I personally hope he gets sorted and realises that he has a gift and sets about using it. Stop the silly social media bollox. Knuckle down and prove the doubters wrong. If that doesnt end up the case we should all offer him support and hope he finds happiness
  • Options
    I hope someone can help get some decent proper help quickly for Marcus, he’s not on a good path at the moment, and he’s not in a good place, it’s not just about paying off his contract and getting him off the books, it goes deeper than that, this is pretty worrying stuff.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I hope the club helps him find some therapy. It would be tough what he is going thru in normal times but with the pandemic its amplified. My daughter is a psychotherapist with a private practice and is turning away prospective clients she has so much work. I can honestly say I don't think one person has not been mentally impacted by this pandemic. I know I have.  
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    He needs to look in the mirror, 'abuse' 'pressures' he has been given every opportunity under the sun and decent contacts and not repaid that with any loyalty or effort, staying in hotel rooms instead of turning up to games is unforgivable. I don't want to appear unsensitive to mental health as I believe it to be a serious problem but this man has been given a gift and wasted the good will of people giving him chances, he has always had an attitude problem, perhaps exasperated by mental health struggles but the problem lies with his own work ethic. Given the state of some people in poverty in this country his lazy attitude to earning money some people could only dream of is Frankly insulting and my sympathy is limited.
    Utter garbage.
    Why is that? Football hasn't broken him like he claims, football has given him many many chances. I hope he gets the help he needs but the blaming of other people for his problems is not entirely true, yes he has had a hard time from fans and that has played a part but not 100 percent. 
    How do you know? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally, I really hope he’s given the time he needs and a chance to come back for another go if he wants it.
  • Options
    If I'd spray-painted my body with ink, I'd be anxious all the time, he clearly feels the effects of "what other people think" and I certainly feel sorry for him, he is not in a good place. 

• Options
    Didnt realise that Billy Kee chose to retire from Professional Football

Shame as he was such a prolific scorer in the lower reaches of the Football League, but glad he's doing something that makes him happy and is (hopefully) enjoying just playing Football without the pressures at Non-League with Coalville Town
  • Options
    I wish Marcus well - sounds like he's struggling and I hope he gets all the support he needs.
  • Options
    Maddison is clearly a good footballer at this level.breaking up from his girlfriend,missing his child,living in hotel rooms,very lonely existance,which to be honest would drive most of us to distraction.There might just be a football manager who can help him,as clearly this is talent going to waste.Could Adkins perhaps give him the time to get back on track,I dont know,maybe just let him train with the lads and have some company without the pressure of actually playing.I personally wish him all the best and hope he can come back from his problems and start enjoying life.
  • Options
    Maddison is clearly a good footballer at this level.breaking up from his girlfriend,missing his child,living in hotel rooms,very lonely existance,which to be honest would drive most of us to distraction.There might just be a football manager who can help him,as clearly this is talent going to waste.Could Adkins perhaps give him the time to get back on track,I dont know,maybe just let him train with the lads and have some company without the pressure of actually playing.I personally wish him all the best and hope he can come back from his problems and start enjoying life.
    On the other hand, maybe the best thing for him is for someone to tell him it's okay to NOT play football any more, to find something else to do.

Maybe trying to encourage him to step away from the active game and move into either a coaching role or something to promote mental health in the game might be better for him at this point.

I don't know for sure. It depends a lot on his choices and his own wishes and desires and personality. But hopefully he gets support to do the right thing for him whatever that is.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    On the other hand, maybe the best thing for him is for someone to tell him it's okay to NOT play football any more, to find something else to do.

Maybe trying to encourage him to step away from the active game and move into either a coaching role or something to promote mental health in the game might be better for him at this point.

I don't know for sure. It depends a lot on his choices and his own wishes and desires and personality. But hopefully he gets support to do the right thing for him whatever that is.
    The issue for Maddison to confront is to actually admit that football isn't for him. And by that I don't mean words I mean actually stepping away from football and closing that door on it. The irony is that he probably enjoys the interaction with the other players and the dressing room "banter" but not everything that goes with it.

Once he's done that he has to find something that he enjoys doing and is qualified to do. But most of all it has to be something that he is cut out to do. Coaching demands regimentation and discipline and these qualities do not sit comfortably with him. He clearly enjoys tattoos so probably something more creative would suit than something that demands a day to day commitment. Hopefully he has the funding behind him to enable him to do that.

Most of all though only he can help himself. The PFA are more geared up to assist in this regard than it has ever been so it is available to him but he has to accept that he has issues and make that step.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Croydon said:
    ButtleJR said:

Some people out there need to have a look at themselves for their comments towards Marcus, and a lot of other footballers as well.

Absolutely,  Maddison ,  Bogle and Schwartz spring to mind for a start.
    I’ve said many times that social media is a cesspit and Marcus’ agent should be protecting him more.
    imagine if you had thousands of people slagging you off for every mistake you make in your job and then imagine how much that is intensified by having mental issues.  It’s really not a surprise some players can’t cope with the drama - the Yeovil captain a prime, and fresh, example.

marcus needs helps but a shit ton of “fans” need help too...to maybe see things from these young players’ perspectives
    Realise I have stressed this point before but why oh why do some players insist on openly using social media?
    I know it’s freedom of choice but if I were involved in football management I would set about educating my players regarding the pit falls of such activity.....which we have all seen.
    As a club I would actively discourage them from doing so, or at the very least from using it openly, allowing  the general public to poke their noses into.
    True, I don’t use it myself and come from a totally different generation, so my perspective is tainted with old fashioned ideas if you like.
    A person in the public eye nowadays needs to have a very thick skin, which unfortunately I don’t have, as some of you may have noticed. 🙄
  • Options
    When I first started watching football in the 50s,the game would be played,insults,words of encouragement and any number of comments good or bad would be directed at the players.That was it,game over,players go home,or wherever they want to go to,no further involvement until the next game.Gradually we have the situation we have now,as soon as the games are over,up step our brave heroic keyboard warriors,insulting,abusing the players mercilessly until in the end,some will crack.It is relentless.I dont know if any Charlton players are on the fans forums,but the abuse players like Bogle ,and others got after having bad games was really out of order,and I am certain in many cases up and down the country,contributes to players having breakdowns.Said before on here,before you abuse a player,Read "A life too short" Robert Henk.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Croydon said:
    ButtleJR said:

Some people out there need to have a look at themselves for their comments towards Marcus, and a lot of other footballers as well.

Absolutely,  Maddison ,  Bogle and Schwartz spring to mind for a start.
    I’ve said many times that social media is a cesspit and Marcus’ agent should be protecting him more.
    imagine if you had thousands of people slagging you off for every mistake you make in your job and then imagine how much that is intensified by having mental issues.  It’s really not a surprise some players can’t cope with the drama - the Yeovil captain a prime, and fresh, example.

marcus needs helps but a shit ton of “fans” need help too...to maybe see things from these young players’ perspectives
    Realise I have stressed this point before but why oh why do some players insist on openly using social media?
    I know it’s freedom of choice but if I were involved in football management I would set about educating my players regarding the pit falls of such activity.....which we have all seen.
    As a club I would actively discourage them from doing so, or at the very least from using it openly, allowing  the general public to poke their noses into.
    True, I don’t use it myself and come from a totally different generation, so my perspective is tainted with old fashioned ideas if you like.
    A person in the public eye nowadays needs to have a very thick skin, which unfortunately I don’t have, as some of you may have noticed. 🙄
    But it can also be used for good (Marcus Rashford). I suspect most players see it as a way of selling their brand though. In reality there will be many varying reasons why a player chooses to be on it, some handle it better than others and those that don't are the ones the clubs and agents should be encouraging to take a break or in extreme cases seek help. The platforms obviously should be doing more in regards to racism or threats of violence etc but then it's where is the line is drawn between abuse and criticism of a player?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    He needs to look in the mirror, 'abuse' 'pressures' he has been given every opportunity under the sun and decent contacts and not repaid that with any loyalty or effort, staying in hotel rooms instead of turning up to games is unforgivable. I don't want to appear unsensitive to mental health as I believe it to be a serious problem but this man has been given a gift and wasted the good will of people giving him chances, he has always had an attitude problem, perhaps exasperated by mental health struggles but the problem lies with his own work ethic. Given the state of some people in poverty in this country his lazy attitude to earning money some people could only dream of is Frankly insulting and my sympathy is limited.  Edit. Please ignore my lack of judgement on Marcus situation,  I take back these comments wholeheartedley. 
  • Options
    The problem is that to do that he'd have to live back down here alone in a hotel room, which is a major part of his problems I imagine

I think he needs to be back home with close family and friends now
  • Options
    I wish him well although he wasn't a good signing..I would also advise him to stay away from social media for his own benefit...get better soon 
  • Options
    Isn't it about time the club made a statement on what they intend doing about Marcus! He is a good player but just wasn't given the right opportunity under Lee Bowyer.
  • Options
    Isn't it about time the club made a statement on what they intend doing about Marcus! He is a good player but just wasn't given the right opportunity under Lee Bowyer.
    No, this is part of the problem!!

People demand statements from everyone on everything.  Why haven't we had an update on Famewo and Aneke’s knocks?  What did Stockley and Inniss have for breakfast?

We aren't entitled to know what conversations are happening, what action plans are put in place. 

The fact is Maddison is a Charlton player who is unavailable for selection.  His contract runs out in June. 

What do you actually want them to make a statement about?