Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Ipswich | Sat 17 April 2021 | 12:30pm

Comments

• Options
    I was working so could watch or follow the match.

I was a little disappointed with a draw but then just recalled that a short while ago we were in free fall and little chance of the playoffs.

We are now in with a shout and our defence is mu h better. We just need our top scorers fit again and I may even see the glass as being half full. 
  • Options
     How  come our strikers seem to get injured & then take weeks to get fit again. Last season it was Taylor  - this season Aneke. 

Not just this season ....... It was Aneke last season also.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I really like Adkins, he’s had a great start and his positivity has been a breath of fresh air. 

One minor criticism - I do worry he’s a bit rigid in his one striker philosophy. At 0-0 and in the ascendancy, if Ronnie Schwartz can’t get game time now, is ever going to get on the pitch under Adkins? 

We do have great target men, but our wingers are so poor at crossing. If we’re going to stick to the two wingers, it makes you wonder why not include a winger from the u23s on the bench. Charles Clayden has been tearing it up for them, yet we have two CB’s on the bench?

Sometimes you need players to feel the competition waiting to take your place, whereas Miller and DJ know they’re playing the full 90 no matter what. 

?
    Millar and DJ have spent more time on the bench or being subbed. With no Conor and Chuks and Nads not rating Schwartz they spent more time on the field.
    Millar is a frustrating player but can go past players, the same as DJ. With our main two strikers fit they wouldn't both be on the field at the same time.

We didn't play badly but we also didn't have a cutting edge.

This team doesn't have the X factor that we had two years ago, but they are an honest bunch who will give 100% to the end of season.

Just gutted that injuries continue to impact our chances just like last season.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Amazing how a month can change expectations so much. Many of us now are expecting a win rather than at best hoping not to lose a couple of months ago. It wasn't a great performance but I think we were a little unlucky not to win, few good half chances and Ipswich should have been down to 10.

Playoff place is in our hands now which is way more than I was expecting at this stage and I think some people need to put things into perspective before spewing negativity online straight after a result while not the greatest still leaves us in a decent position.
  • Options
    A poor game but Ipswich surprised us with their snappy start to both halves. After about seventy minutes Ipswich really tired and we should have made more of the space that was given to us. I wanted Shinnie on the field at that point to create something but Watson replaced Pratley, like for like. So we pussy-footed around and missed several promising opportunities.  - not precise enough. Truth is, we aren't very good, but should still be able to nail a play-off spot. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Missed the match. Put on TV at 3pm only to find it all finished. Oh well avoided the stress. 
    Content rather than happy with a point , but in a six-pointer it was essential not to lose. The unbeaten run continues which keeps confidence flowing. 
    It seems that any team on this league can beat any team (apart from us and Ipswich today) Entering the squeaky-bum time of the season. 
  • Options
    If we get into the play offs we will have as much chance as anybody.
    Exactly.

And we are still well on course to finish 6th.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m sure it’ll be an unpopular opinion, but 4 games into the Adkins era and, apart from picking a settled side, I honestly don’t feel I’ve seen much improvement on what we were doing under Bowyer. He’ll get no credit now, but this unbeaten run was already well underway way under Bowyer.

We’ve been decent away and poor at how all season and it was the same again today.

Defensively decent but we could’ve played all night and it’s still be 0-0. I thought Ipswich were poor, and particularly looked vulnerable in the first half, but we really failed to take any advantage of it.

I still see no reason to think we are good enough to be promoted to even if we do make the playoffs.

Not particularly impressed with Adkins’ lack of action from the bench today either. 

Could’ve been worse but not where I’d like us to be either. 
    But bowyer walked out
  • Options
    If we are winning or drawing Nigel won't make changes.
    Is that his thing?
    We’ve never been losing under Adkins, so a bit of a pointless remark. 

• Options
    edited April 2021
    At least no schizophrenic team set ups and 3 man panic substitutions when it all goes tits I suppose.

Guess we will NEVER be happy and that's our lot.
  • Options
    Dull team, in a dull game in a dull league.  Roll on August.
    Replace dull with s***.
  • Options
    I’m sure it’ll be an unpopular opinion, but 4 games into the Adkins era and, apart from picking a settled side, I honestly don’t feel I’ve seen much improvement on what we were doing under Bowyer. He’ll get no credit now, but this unbeaten run was already well underway way under Bowyer.

We’ve been decent away and poor at how all season and it was the same again today.

Defensively decent but we could’ve played all night and it’s still be 0-0. I thought Ipswich were poor, and particularly looked vulnerable in the first half, but we really failed to take any advantage of it.

I still see no reason to think we are good enough to be promoted to even if we do make the playoffs.

Not particularly impressed with Adkins’ lack of action from the bench today either. 

Could’ve been worse but not where I’d like us to be either. 
    But bowyer walked out
    Yes but the narrative on here is that the change of manager has rescued our season and turned everything around, but I don’t think performances and stats really back that narrative up. 

Adkins talks a good game but so far hasn’t really changed much. Things were either better under Bowyer than some would say or not as significantly better under Adkins as some would say. I’m not writing Adkins off or anything, just voicing my opinion how things stand right now. 
    It is the narrative because it is what has happened. We all wish Bowyer well at Birmingham and now we should focus on us. We have a strong chance of reaching the play offs and when we get in those, we can win them. 
  • Options
    Surprised by the amount of negativity in the thread overall

We were the better team, have closed the gap on top 6 with a draw and are up in the mix for the play offs

COYR!
    We were at home against a very ordinary Ipswich team who have been utterly woeful of late. Hope that helps. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    RedJohn said:
    The reality is that we are not good enough, our attacking play is limited, LB's squad had very little pace, our only threat really was Doughty, and of course he's gone, i think we really missed Maatsen as a winger today, very tricky, never stops running, Jayesimi the opposite. Play-Offs possible, unlikely to get promoted though, but come the Summer a new squad will be assembled with an experienced manager and a good transfer kitty. Roll on the summer.
    This.

Adkins has his hands tied atm with the players at his disposal - doubly more so with both of our main goal threat out injured.

No idea how Bowyer would have reacted during that game - probably thrown on a few defenders for the last 10 mins & let in a last min goal. One thing I am hanging onto is that Adkins knows how to get teams promoted out of this league so have to give him time & a close season to bring in his type of player. They way its looking upfront we will need to bring in at least 2 - probably 3 - strikers as Aneke cant be trusted to be fit & I doubt Stockley will be here next season......currently just Washington & Schwatz contracted to be here in August.

Still think the play offs are in reach but hate to think we have to win our game in hand over Pompey to get there as games in hand have a habit of not being won. 

Still more twists & turns than a twisty turny thing.

• Options
    with Washington, Aneke & Maatsen missing it was not a bad result, we should reach the play offs but that might to as far as we get
    We're competing for only one place.
  • Options
    The ref should have sent Dozzell of for both. If he wanted to give him the benefit for one surely he doesn't for the next. He called both as free kicks so must have seen them. Extremely poor as that happens to us next week say and our player walks.
  • Options
    I really like Adkins, he’s had a great start and his positivity has been a breath of fresh air. 

One minor criticism - I do worry he’s a bit rigid in his one striker philosophy. At 0-0 and in the ascendancy, if Ronnie Schwartz can’t get game time now, is ever going to get on the pitch under Adkins? 

We do have great target men, but our wingers are so poor at crossing. If we’re going to stick to the two wingers, it makes you wonder why not include a winger from the u23s on the bench. Charles Clayden has been tearing it up for them, yet we have two CB’s on the bench?

Sometimes you need players to feel the competition waiting to take your place, whereas Miller and DJ know they’re playing the full 90 no matter what. 

?
    Millar and DJ have spent more time on the bench or being subbed. With no Conor and Chuks and Nads not rating Schwartz they spent more time on the field.
    Millar is a frustrating player but can go past players, the same as DJ. With our main two strikers fit they wouldn't both be on the field at the same time.

We didn't play badly but we also didn't have a cutting edge.

This team doesn't have the X factor that we had two years ago, but they are an honest bunch who will give 100% to the end of season.

Just gutted that injuries continue to impact our chances just like last season.
    I’m not sure I agree, Adkins has always played with one up front - I can’t see him taking off a one or both wingers for a striker and therefore changing the whole shape.

We saw at Wimbledon that he’d rather bring a winger on for a striker than like for like replace Washington.

I like both Millar and DJ, they’re exciting to watch but they both had off days today. My salient point was that if Adkins wants to continue with two wingers on the pitch at all times, we should definitely have another winger on the bench to replace them - or at least swap wings from time to time to mix it up.
  • Options
    The problem is, Schwartz may not be trusted and Washington and Aneke were out injured.
  • Options
    First game this season I've completely missed. Looks like I've played a blinder tbh