Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Ipswich | Sat 17 April 2021 | 12:30pm

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Lincoln may have nothing to play for (confirmed in play offs by then). 
    I'm not sure it works like that though, you always want to go into the playoffs on a winning run, and it may make a difference where you finish. For example 2 seasons ago we jumped to 3rd on the last day of the season
    A year previously we didn't follow that rule against Rochdale. I don't think it's set either way and the players mindset will no doubt vary. Some will want to keep the form, some won't have the motivation knowing it's not an important fixture. The relaxation of "having nothing to play for" can also go either way, so we just have to focus on us. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    john3 said:
    With Washington and Chuks currently unfit would it be impossible to get Josh Davison back for the last 6 games?
    Yes, just like it was with Grant a few years ago. He can't play in the last 6 games nor the play offs if we get there. 
  • Options
    Agree. Chuks is a superior player to Stockley and can create chances by himself. 
  • Options
    It would make sense that Washington and Aneke are only used if needed given they have only just come back from injury, so I expect them to be on the bench.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:
    A bit of an odd question, but do you think we will stronger next season if:

- We miss out on the play offs this season by a whisker
    - Sneak into the play-offs but do not make the final

I don't see us as a promotion team this season, as much as I would like us to be. 
    It's a good question.  Another question is would we be better off in the 2022/23 season if we went up or not this season?

I suppose the worst case scenario would be the current top 2 went up and we lost to one of Lincoln or Blackpool in the play off final. 

Next seasons league 1 could be comparable to when we were in it with Norwich, Leeds and Southampton. 

What a strange question? Why would you presume that we'd get relegated again in 21/22?

There's too much second guessing on this thread.
    There's never a bad time to get promotion, just as last season didn't have a bright side to relegation as some, including TS, suggested.
    It's not a strange question, it's a very valid question.  If we get promoted this season, which I hope we do, we will probably need to sign 10 plus players in one window and 7 or 8 of them will have to be successful if we have a chance of staying up.  We would still, more than likely finish in the bottom six, unless we spent a lot of money.

We currently have no players contracted for next season, with the exception of the injury prone Inniss, who are obviously championship class.  We currently have no players in the 19-21 bracket that are knocking the door down to be selected, in league 1.

Of course its not an option to turn down a promotion when it's available but I would say for the medium term future of the club its vital we start the 22/23 season in the championship with mid table being the minimum expectation. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:

I don't see us as a promotion team this season, as much as I would like us to be. 
    It's a good question.  Another question is would we be better off in the 2022/23 season if we went up or not this season?

I suppose the worst case scenario would be the current top 2 went up and we lost to one of Lincoln or Blackpool in the play off final. 

Next seasons league 1 could be comparable to when we were in it with Norwich, Leeds and Southampton. 

What a strange question? Why would you presume that we'd get relegated again in 21/22?

There's never a bad time to get promotion, just as last season didn't have a bright side to relegation as some, including TS, suggested
    We currently have no players contracted for next season, with the exception of the injury prone Inniss, who are obviously championship class.  We currently have no players in the 19-21 bracket that are knocking the door down to be selected, in league 1.
    AMB, Gunter, Inniss, Purrington, Morgan, Gilbey, Jaiyesimi & Schwartz.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:

There's never a bad time to get promotion, just as last season didn't have a bright side to relegation as some, including TS, suggested
    How can you claim any of them, other than Inniss, are championship class
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:

How can you claim any of them, other than Inniss, are championship class
    Apologies misread that bit! Thought you were just reminding us that you thought Inniss was championship class, and that we simply had no other players contracted.

Personally don't think I'd rule out Schwartz as we've barely seen him play. Same for AMB.

Jaiyesimi is frustrating as any other winger. He has his equal measure of being exciting imo.

Gilbey looked destined for a championship move before joining us. Obviously the early injury derailed much of that hope.

Gunter came from that level, Morgan looked okay at that level given his age.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Redrobo said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dodoo, Kaikai and Magennis performing well elsewhere, while Taylor fails to impress. Funny old world. 
    The three you are comparing are playing in league 1. Taylor let us down but he is a far better striker than the other three. 
    Would anyone be happy if we sign Magennis next season?
    I would happily take Taylor back to get us out of this league.
    Funny in the sense that he impressed for us in the Champs, but he didn’t with another club. It’s the opposite with the other three. 
    It could be that he’s not the player he was, so not sure if I’d take him back or not @Redrobo
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Agree. Chuks is a superior player to Stockley and can create chances by himself. 
    What's that LOL for, @cafc_joe ?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Redrobo said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dodoo, Kaikai and Magennis performing well elsewhere, while Taylor fails to impress. Funny old world. 
    The three you are comparing are playing in league 1. Taylor let us down but he is a far better striker than the other three. 
    Would anyone be happy if we sign Magennis next season?
    I would happily take Taylor back to get us out of this league.
    Funny in the sense that he impressed for us in the Champs, but he didn’t with another club. It’s the opposite with the other three. 
    It could be that he’s not the player he was, so not sure if I’d take him back or not @Redrobo
    You imagine that both Taylor and Bonne will be available in the summer (on loan if nothing else)
  • Options
    I wouldn't want Taylor back in the same way as I wouldn't want a Super League.

If he came back he would have to be contracted to work for free for one day a week for the Charlton Community Trust.