Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Crewe Alexandra | Tuesday 27 April

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    I just hope Thomas Sandgaard does give Adkins the right kind of transfer and wage budget to allow him to build a proper promotion team/squad next season.
    I hope so too, I really dont think TS would want another season in L1 if we wants us threatening the Prem in 5 years. If we dont go up this season, the summer will be when TS will need to put his money where his mouth is, literally!
  • Options
    Hindsight team selection is quite tricky too. Only Pratley and maybe Morgan in the centre were viable options, considering injuries/fitness.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    What worries me more than how shit this current squad are, is the certainty that many are attaching to next season. All I see is the fact we will rebuild and get promoted. Have some of you been told no one else is trying in league 1 next season.  Now I love Adkins positivity, but god forbid come Christmas and we 14th, and all we have is him telling us there’s lots to be positive about.  A shit start in this league next season, could haemorrhage home attendances very quickly. Fans have had enough, years of shit, and now excuses because of the years of shit. Another indifferent year in this league, could see us established as a league 1 club. 
  • Options
    Got every faith & confidence in Adkins once he can shape his own squad. So glad a lot of this squad is out of contract soon, pity Watson & Gunter have another season. No good signing injury prone players either as Gallen has done in the past, no good if you can’t rely on them! Hoping some youngsters may come through too, Barker, Maynard Brewer & Henry come to mind.  Not sure if we will sign Stockley either..think Adkins wants the forwards to close down the defenders better than he does!  Got to be creative,maybe a couple of quality loans.....busy summer ahead! 
  • Options
    What worries me more than how shit this current squad are, is the certainty that many are attaching to next season. All I see is the fact we will rebuild and get promoted. Have some of you been told no one else is trying in league 1 next season.  Now I love Adkins positivity, but god forbid come Christmas and we 14th, and all we have is him telling us there’s lots to be positive about.  A shit start in this league next season, could haemorrhage home attendances very quickly. Fans have had enough, years of shit, and now excuses because of the years of shit. Another indifferent year in this league, could see us established as a league 1 club. 
    Based on the run of results that Adkins got out of the current squad (which is poor, in terms of balance and morale if nothing else) says he at least deserves a chance to put his own stamp on his own squad.

Yes other teams are of course going to be trying to do the same thing but Adkins has got a proven record of getting promotion from League One so optimism is justifiable on current evidence.
  • Options
    Now I love Adkins positivity, but god forbid come Christmas and we 14th, and all we have is him telling us there’s lots to be positive about.  A shit start in this league next season, could haemorrhage home attendances very quickly. 
    Agree, if we are mid-table and struggling by xmas (maybe earlier), it could a big decision for TS to keep him or bin him off. And Nigel might not bail him out by resigning like Lee Bowyer did!
  • Options
    Wasting time that you will quite probably need later is foolishness.

What the hell is this corner flag nonsense that even the commentators seem to think a good idea? A few weeks ago one of them even suggested that JFC should blast a free kick over the bar as that apparently wastes more time. Time management they call it now. I suggest goal management.

It's supposed to be a spectator sport. Even if results were the only thing that mattered, no-one could convince me that these tactics work. You have to score more than the opposition and if they have time to score then so do you.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need to get all these over 30's age players gone and reduce the average age of out team,most teams have started doing this for a few years now.Lots of clubs are soon going to release quite a few players soon as they have been spending over there budgets and covid hasnt helped,suer there will be lots of bargains 
  • Options
    Didn't watch last night, but followed online. Gutted.

I think we need to just go for it the next three games. Get Washington, Big Chuks, Stockley, Millar and DJ (if available) on the pitch as much as possible. Just throw everything at it.

We've proved time and time again that we are shit at sitting back, so that is just not an option anymore.
  • Options
    Wasting time that you will quite probably need later is foolishness.

What the hell is this corner flag nonsense that even the commentators seem to think a good idea? A few weeks ago one of them even suggested that JFC should blast a free kick over the bar as that apparently wastes more time. Time management they call it now. I suggest goal management.

It's supposed to be a spectator sport. Even if results were the only thing that mattered, no-one could convince me that these tactics work. You have to score more than the opposition and if they have time to score then so do you.

I hear where you are coming from but when it's 94.15 seconds have gone( 95 or added on Kettle time) and we had the ball by the opposition's corner flag, professionals should have a strategy to pen the side in and also make sure the ball doesn't go back to the keeper.
    When Pratley did the foul I just knew everyone would go and camp in and the edge of our area.

When Inniss won the header you need to push out as a collective unit but having only watched it once (once was enough!) I'm not sure that happened.

Having seen the still pictures plus watching the game live its obviously was disorganized with panic having set in and our players all doing their own thing.

A very nervy and negative line up and display. Shame after the improved passing and keeping the ball in the last two games.

Peterborough have played 3-4-1-2 in nearly all their matches, and playing only one striker just seems wrong unless you are Man City with a team full of world class midfielders who can all score quite regular.

• Options
    Every forward is only as good as the service provided to him which was piss poor last night ,if Adkins is going to play millar at least play him on the right wing where his crossing should be a lot better in setting chances for stockley Aneke or Washington but the biggest crime of all is not playing our best creative player SHINNIE . Shinnie in midfield with jfc gilbey and pratley innis and Famewo CBS’s.Aneke and Washington up front matthews and Purrington full backs Amos in goal. That’s the side to get us into the playoffs and beyond on the bench: Maynard brewer millar stockley Watson Pearce gunter Morgan.
  • Options
    Crewe played us off the park. The 2 little midfielders Dale and Lowery passed it around us. Their first goal was very good. We don't play like that and our current tactics are to either play it long to Stockley or give it to Millar and say there you go son beat 3 defenders. I would like us to play a bit more like Crewe but we don't have players good enough TBH.  
  • Options
    Not great tonight but a point. We have to be better Saturday. We will give our all until the end. 3 To go.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad to say Crewe, with nothing to play for, were the better side. We needed those extra two points from a win and in my opinion the play offs have gone for us.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Not great tonight but a point. We have to be better Saturday. We will give our all until the end. 3 To go.

Don't kick a ball away to get a yellow, then play on egg shells Pearcey if you want to "five your all until the end" ffs. 
  • Options
    Like just about everybody I was pissed off with the performance, although not the team selection, it's surprising how few on here are on Valley Pass as it was pretty clear that Inniss, Aneke and Wash were not candidates to start. We didnt deserve 3 points, and we probably don't deserve play-offs, even if fans of other clubs in the top 10 will have been doing their nuts too in the last few weeks. So please nobody tell me I'm hiding behind the following as an excuse.

For years I've been arguing that the way time is added on is totally untransparent and cheats the fans, and is easily fixable too. As soon as 5 minutes came up I had the dread feeling, because I couldn't see where it came from. Can anyone remember a significant stoppage in the second half? Certainly nothing like Matthews in the first half which rightly accounted for 3 mins. Subs were made. But before anyone goes "30 secs per sub", ask yourself where, and by whom, that was written down as a rule?  Certainly not at UEFA as that doesn't apply on the Continent, trust me on that. Right. And when did Crewe score? 95.12. So over the 5. Kettle added those 12 seconds. On what grounds? Probably so he could see what happened in that spell of Crewe pressure, thereby delivering on his personal ego driven mission to add his own touch of drama to games (you know, like sending a player off in the 1st minute). Don't believe some refs are like that? Then what to make of Matt Holland's story that when he latched on to the ball before his wonder goal at Leeds he heard somebody shout "shoot.". So he did. And who shouted at him to shoot? The ref. I mean, WTAF???

How to fix it? Extra time entirely in the hands of the 4th official, using an instrument which is wired to the stadium clock. Whenever he stops the clock, so does the stadium clock. When that clock reaches 90.00 (having been stopped several times during the game), a siren goes off regardless of where the action is. As in ice hockey. That leaves Kettle to dish out his card collection, and improve his decision making (he made some decent calls last night in terms of advantage and a tricky handball, to be fair to him).
    Agree completely. Stop the clock for any period where play is stopped by the referee.

(Not when the ball is out of play - only when the referee has actually told players to wait for some reason before taking a free kick, or throw in etc).

BUT in most similar games play continues after time is up until the ball goes out of play! No way am I having VAR deciding if a shot crossed the line before the siren. Play continues until there is a goal, a throw in or a goal kick.  We'd have drawn anyway last night!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    ct_addick said:
    Crewe played us off the park. The 2 little midfielders Dale and Lowery passed it around us. Their first goal was very good. We don't play like that and our current tactics are to either play it long to Stockley or give it to Millar and say there you go son beat 3 defenders. I would like us to play a bit more like Crewe but we don't have players good enough TBH.  
    quite right and that's why Adkins has had to find a system that suits the limited players we have. Irrespective of what happens that will definitely change next season.
  • Options
    "Another year in wanksville"

Coming soon to Netflix's.
  • Options
    Like just about everybody I was pissed off with the performance, although not the team selection, it's surprising how few on here are on Valley Pass as it was pretty clear that Inniss, Aneke and Wash were not candidates to start. We didnt deserve 3 points, and we probably don't deserve play-offs, even if fans of other clubs in the top 10 will have been doing their nuts too in the last few weeks. So please nobody tell me I'm hiding behind the following as an excuse.

For years I've been arguing that the way time is added on is totally untransparent and cheats the fans, and is easily fixable too. As soon as 5 minutes came up I had the dread feeling, because I couldn't see where it came from. Can anyone remember a significant stoppage in the second half? Certainly nothing like Matthews in the first half which rightly accounted for 3 mins. Subs were made. But before anyone goes "30 secs per sub", ask yourself where, and by whom, that was written down as a rule?  Certainly not at UEFA as that doesn't apply on the Continent, trust me on that. Right. And when did Crewe score? 95.12. So over the 5. Kettle added those 12 seconds. On what grounds? Probably so he could see what happened in that spell of Crewe pressure, thereby delivering on his personal ego driven mission to add his own touch of drama to games (you know, like sending a player off in the 1st minute). Don't believe some refs are like that? Then what to make of Matt Holland's story that when he latched on to the ball before his wonder goal at Leeds he heard somebody shout "shoot.". So he did. And who shouted at him to shoot? The ref. I mean, WTAF???

How to fix it? Extra time entirely in the hands of the 4th official, using an instrument which is wired to the stadium clock. Whenever he stops the clock, so does the stadium clock. When that clock reaches 90.00 (having been stopped several times during the game), a siren goes off regardless of where the action is. As in ice hockey. That leaves Kettle to dish out his card collection, and improve his decision making (he made some decent calls last night in terms of advantage and a tricky handball, to be fair to him).
    While we are all pissed off about the extra time,when the board goes up.it is announced a "minimum "of.Presumably this is because the actual time may have been 5 min 35 sec etc. which would be impossible to show,although would have been on the referees watch.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:

J BLOCK said:
    Everyone calling for the team to go. It will be going anyway, we are made up of loan players and players out of contract, we'll be down to the bare bones anyway. Which is definitely a good thing. 
    Is it the players or the coaching?

To play that sort of passing game you need months/years of consistent coaching to play that way

Given even a pre season of coaching to play in that style from the likes of Artell or Russell Martin, I'm sure we could play more like that, even with our current squad. We'd have to accept mistakes though, where players over do it or get caught trying to pass from the back
  • Options

I agree with you regarding timekeeping & it should be like rugby in that the clock stops (and everybody can see it does) when there is a break in play (injuries & substitutions) - and then like you say a hooter goes when 90 mins is up.

However, I disagree about the 5 mins last night & especially about how we player in excess of 5 mins. I said on another thread the other day how a ref can NOT a accurately say its 5 mins extra to be played - and the fact that the "board" only shows who numbers just enforces that point. Say Mr Kettle looked at his watch at 90 mins & saw that we needed to play 5mins & 20 secs of extra time. Does he signal 5 mins or 6 ? ( the fact that announcers always say that's it's a MINIMUM of.......gives that away). No-one can say to the last second how much extra time should be added - I would have thought that even rounding it up to the nearest minute was being generous. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Lets be honest, do any of us really believe we are good enough to get into play-offs and get promoted? Just get this season over, Gallen, Adkins and TS get a good squad together for next season and go for automatic promotion
    Nothing is impossible, but this feels like 2017/18 rather than 2018/19, with Shrewsbury back then the surprise package like Lincoln are this season