Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Crewe Alexandra | Tuesday 27 April

Comments

• Options
    Three games left and play offs in our hands. Think on reflection Bowyer and Adkins done well to be there with such a poor squad.  
  • Options
    I just hope Thomas Sandgaard does give Adkins the right kind of transfer and wage budget to allow him to build a proper promotion team/squad next season. I think Adkins will know the kind of players he wants and how he wants his team to play but right now half of our team are way below standard and the rest are mostly knackered or nursing long term injury problems.

And I also want to see some action in signing up 1 or 2 of our better players whose contracts are up in June. None of this "see what league we're in" malarkey. If someone like JFC is going to get Championship offers of course we may lose him/them, but most won't be in that position. Neither Chuks (injuries) or Shinnie (lack of game time) are likely to attract Championship interest in my opinion. And we ought to be competing wages wise these days - if TS really means what he said about his future vision for the club.
  • Options
    Completely agree Grumps. Imagine if we were to have a penalty shoot-out like Doncaster 2 seasons ago or an all important must-win tie at the Valley - I just can't see us doing anything but fold. 

Close your eyes for a second. We are in a penalty shootout, with the following being the first set of (realistic) takers:

Washington
    Stockley or Aneke
    JFC
    Gilbey
    DJ
    Millar
    Maatsen

I probably have confidence in Washington and Gilbey scoring. Amos struggles with saving penalties too....
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    kentred2 said:
    Three games left and play offs in our hands. Think on reflection Bowyer and Adkins done well to be there with such a poor squad.  
    It's a poor team, not a poor squad in my opinion. 

The chemistry and togetherness is simply sometimes not there. The individuals would slot into other sides in the top 6 without issue. 

Sullay bloody KaiKai is outperforming some of our lot this season! 6 goals, 8 assists!
  • Options
    Thought they played well. 
  • Options
    I am getting more and more frustrated with the continual trying to cover up the ineptitude and downright lack of effort on the part of a good deal of our "team", last night was an utter disgrace, in a game that everyone knew we needed to win, no one turned up, they all looked disinterested in closing down Crewe, fighting for the shirt, totaly unacceptable.
    We are now having to win our last 3 games, and start at Accrington Saturday, well good luck with that, let's see, one ray of hope, all our rivals are away, and frankly fail to win, and league one next season here we come.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    mendonca said:

The loose ball fell to Pearce in quite a good initial position. BUT, he forgt the player he was facing was left footed who just did him in the exact same manner as for his first goal. 

How many times have we played a game of football knowing at this key time "Keep him on his left". That pressure simply would have done the job. But before this, everybody was too deep from Innis's excellent clearances, and thats forgetting Watson's pass 4 yards in front of JFC when in complete control. Typical one minute shit show...memories of so many games! 
    Is Watson at fault for their second goal?

That would be some achievement as he had already been subbed. 
  • Options
    Adkins has done a very good job. Let's not let one (admittedly godawful) result/performance detract from an unbeaten run and a much better performance on the weekend despite the result.

That said, polishing a turd does not and will not ever make it a diamond. A full preseason under Adkins where he can fully implement his own strategies and philosophies on a squad of his own creation rather than an inherited, unbalanced one will hopefully result in a transformation on the pitch, whatever league we end up in.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Happy to trade in the lot of them and bring in 23 new players for next season. To have won 6 home games in 21 is awful. Can everyone imagine the toxic atmosphere at The Valley had we had fans in every week this season. It's almost better that we hadn't as I think we'd have lost more away if the fans had been able to vent during the poor home performances. 

I can't understand how the team is less than the some of its parts. I'd put money on it that whoever leaves will perform to a higher standard next season elsewhere. Goodbye and good luck to all of the dead wood. 

I just hope Thomas has the desire to invest following a disappointing season. His intent will be very clear now that the financial restraints from EFL have been removed. No owner is going to make money in this league, but just how much he is prepared to invest / lose will be very interesting. 
  • Options
    I do agree with you slightly but the atmosphere wouldn’t be toxic as the players would perform better with our fans back! 
  • Options
    Haven’t read any previous posts but Pearce should be dropped if Innis is fit. 

Was at fault for the Peterborough goal and the first goal last night. 

Keeps coming out of position to make challenges that are 50/50 at best, then out of position. Would be far better staying in position and letting the other guy win the ball. 

I know we need ‘heart’ which Pearce has but for good reason it’s going out the game, replaced thankfully by professional attitude, keeping shape, and sticking to your job. 
  • Options
    Happy to trade in the lot of them and bring in 23 new players for next season. To have won 6 home games in 21 is awful. Can everyone imagine the toxic atmosphere at The Valley had we had fans in every week this season. It's almost better that we hadn't as I think we'd have lost more away if the fans had been able to vent during the poor home performances. 

I can't understand how the team is less than the some of its parts. I'd put money on it that whoever leaves will perform to a higher standard next season elsewhere. Goodbye and good luck to all of the dead wood. 

I just hope Thomas has the desire to invest following a disappointing season. His intent will be very clear now that the financial restraints from EFL have been removed. No owner is going to make money in this league, but just how much he is prepared to invest / lose will be very interesting. 
    The thing is if we did have fans in the stadium I honestly believe our home form would have been significantly better. We're not the only club struggling at home with no fans in the ground. 
  • Options
    as has been said above, IF we win our last three, we are in the play offs .. so our destiny is ours to fulfil .. starting in a small Lancashire ex mill town on Saturday , then versus a team sure of a play off spot and one already guaranteed promotion .. so we need a happy and not a cursed valley .. we can do this 
  • Options
    Irrelevant BUT, under the old offside law (the proper one) their second goal should have been ruled offside .. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    as has been said above, IF we win our last three, we are in the play offs .. so our destiny is ours to fulfil .. starting in a small Lancashire ex mill town on Saturday , then versus a team sure of a play off spot and one already guaranteed promotion .. so we need a happy and not a cursed valley .. we can do this 
    We can . But we won’t 
    oh ye of little (or in this case no) faith 
  • Options
    After that tired and dispiriting performance surely we need changes, why not bring in Shinnie, Swartz and Albie in for saturdays game. Give some of the tired players a rest!
  • Options
    But we have had some fans in this season and sadly I remember a game like yesterday V MK Dons. But, I know what you mean. A fully packed North Stand is a different story.
  • Options
    After that tired and dispiriting performance surely we need changes, why not bring in Shinnie, Swartz and Albie in for saturdays game. Give some of the tired players a rest!
    one thing is a dead cert, they will all need to be right at it on Saturday against a tough team determined to put one over on the rich southerners
  • Options
    A year ago we lost our Championship place with a 96th minute equaliser at Brum.
    We need to learn game management.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    This team don't deserve to be anywhere near the play offs after the performances this season.

Heard from a player this week that it is night and day under Adkins and he truly believes (if we don't go up this season) that he will take us up next season. 
    You know one of the players? Can you ask if it’s night and day why is the team still performing poorly in crucial games?

Thanks
  • Options
    A crowd may well have lifted the team over the line (and Mr Kettle had found his watch) and three points may have been ours. But frankly we were fortunate not to lose.

Nigel has to make some difficult decisions about what team to field at the weekend. Our players (particularly JFC) looked tired and were not closing down fast enough and our system of play is too obvious. Hoof up to Stockley or give it to Millar and see what he can do (in fact Millar did very well in the first half). Maatsen didn't offer anything and we must hope that Washington is back to full fitness to be able to start.

This shouldn't take anything away from Crewe. Every player looked comfortable on the ball and they must have been running on Duracell ultra power batteries because whilst other teams have pressed us for 15 to 20 minutes then eased off, they seemed to up the tempo as the game went on. For half an hour of the second half there appeared to be two extra gold shirts on the pitch. Luckily they lacked real bite up front or we could have been squashed.
  • Options
    When we switched the system we looked good and based on the balance of play at the time we scored a deserved goal. I thought Pratley coming on made a difference as hes happier to chase down the ball and player to win it back where as Watson mops it up. Thought JFC was a pile of poo. Gilbey with an assist and goal is a good return at any rate.

Don't rate Millar at all and really don't want him back next season. Good when he can take a player on but has no footballing brain it's shocking. Doesn't get in behind the full back and if he can't go forward..he goes back. 

But not seeing games out is shocking...team mentality and nothing to do with Bowyer or Adkins but it needs to be sorted either way.