Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Crewe Alexandra | Tuesday 27 April

Comments

• Options
    Completely outplayed by a bottom half team just goes to show we aren’t good enough but nor are most of the other play off contenders. Subs made far too late by Adkins, writing was on the wall well before half time.
  • Options
    The worst thing is the misery can't even be over inside the next week.  At least this time next week we will probably know. 

Not sure how I feel about that it would have been robbery if we had won it, then it felt like we were robbed!

Watson can't play 3 games back to back.  JFC was out on his feet for the last ten minutes.  Its a massive worry because we don't have anything like a like for like replacement.  I thought it was all over when Inniss won that second header.

Gilbey is like a different player these last 5 or 6 games.  The balance DJ gives us was missing tonight.  Pearce had his worst game for 2 months.

I understand why people want 2 up top but it's difficult if you want a winger or 2 as well.  We don't really have a wide midfielder at all. 

• Options
    I wish I could get back all the 45 minutes I've wished my life away.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I wouldn't change things for Accrington too much but we need to be prepared for a formation change if 4-3-3 isn't working. I think at the Valley, we maybe need two up front. If we play Maatson and Matthews as  wing backs and give Millar license to swap wings it might make a difference.

Amos
              Matthews       Famewo      Inniss       Maatson
                                  Shinney   JFC   Gilbey
                                        Aneke        Millar
                                               Stockley

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Well done Barnsley on making the play offs! 

Our MOTM today was Matt Holland. For a nice guy he is very honest and candid. 

I will be happy for us to wave goodbye to a bunch of old and uninspiring Captains....Pearce, Watson, Pratley and Gunter. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The worst thing is the misery can't even be over inside the next week.  At least this time next week we will probably know. 

Not sure how I feel about that it would have been robbery if we had won it, then it felt like we were robbed!

Watson can't play 3 games back to back.  JFC was out on his feet for the last ten minutes.  Its a massive worry because we don't have anything like a like for like replacement.  I thought it was all over when Inniss won that second header.

Gilbey is like a different player these last 5 or 6 games.  The balance DJ gives us was missing tonight.  Pearce had his worst game for 2 months.

I understand why people want 2 up top but it's difficult if you want a winger or 2 as well.  We don't really have a wide midfielder at all. 

We could easily have replaced Watson with Pratley and JFC with Morgan or Shinnie. While neither can do exactly the same role that JFC plays, having fresh legs can make a big difference. 

Or 442 with a winger on the left (Millar) and a midfielder like Morgan on the right. Like how Powell used to play with Bradley Pritchard on the right

Or even 352 with Gunter as the right centre back? He can't play as a 2, but can do a job as a right CB, especially as Crewe aren't an aerial side.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Was anyone even surprised when Crewe equalised? So damn inevitable, if this lot can't hold a lead going into added time now, they never will.

So sick of it
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Keep:

Amos
    Purrington
    Inniss 
    Gilbey
    Washington
    Aneke

That's it.
    Granted he had a quiet game, but Jake Forster-Caskey is likely to win player of the year by a landslide and he's not on your list?
    He's always the missing man when we struggle, he shines when we win. I just can't decide on him. Our most successful season in years, he was not in our squad often.

Apologies I said I was switching off and I am now! 
    Could it be that we win because he shines?
    JFC looked a bit tired tonight, and like Muttley said, I think he would be better holding, with Shinnie replacing him in CM
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just think that adds about 25% energy into the midfield. Some games work for Watson, but today was a game where he didn't offer us much and I don't think that was his fault.
  • Options
    PWR & PWD ( p*ssed without drinking) 

Thought we were pretty toothless tonight with only a couple of bursts of fighting, attacking play of any note. And they both led to our goals. 

Where was our midfield is a question that's nagging at me ? Crewe had far too much space & time on the ball in that area...and that's not the first time it's happened at home recently.

I know that the gaffer doesn't trust Chucks to last more than 45 minutes but WHY not the first 45 ? Time after time he makes a huge difference when he comes on so why not have that advantage at the start of a match when we should be imposing ourselves on the opposition. For me, he, JFC, Gilbey & Washington are the stand out players for us in a mediocre team so would expect those 4 to start at Accrington on Saturday. What do we have to lose ? 

Very disappointed with tonight's showing. And for me, that's likely to be IT for this season, sad to say. Can only see more pain & frustration ahead as we stumble through the final 3 games. Maybe the lads , like @blackpool72, want this season to be over & can't face the prospect of prolonging it.  It certainly looked that way tonight....

TBH, without the pair of handsome ex players giving us the benefit of their views, tonight would have been even worse. 

Roll on the T20s for a bit of excitement .....hopefully ! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

We could easily have replaced Watson with Pratley and JFC with Morgan or Shinnie. While neither can do exactly the same role that JFC plays, having fresh legs can make a big difference. 

Or 442 with a winger on the left (Millar) and a midfielder like Morgan on the right. Like how Powell used to play with Bradley Pritchard on the right

Or even 352 with Gunter as the right centre back? He can't play as a 2, but can do a job as a right CB, especially as Crewe aren't an aerial side.
    When we replace JFC with Morgan or Shinnie we always concede 2 goals.........JFC is irreplaceable within this current squad. 

The 442 with 1 winger is an option and we did do it under Bowyer but I don't think either Morgan or Shinnie are that good at it.  Maybe Gilbey could play there but he was awful there earlier in the season, I have no idea if his massive improvement is down to position, fitness or other issues. 

• Options
    edited April 2021
    We were toothless but scored two goals. I think this provides a clue about Crewe. They can't defend under pressure but have good footballing players. I think getting the first meant that the issue that needing addressing was put off. Adkins was about to try to address it by bringing Aneke on to pressure their defence more, but they equalised before he made the change. 

One thing I have noticed in all my years watching the game is that when something isn't working, it is very rare to fix itself without a tactical or personnel change or both. I think one reason why managers wait is they are not sure what is the best thing to do to affect the game, but I think even if you are not sure what to do, do something. Don't allow that to delay intervention. With their first equaliser, it was definitely in the air. 
  • Options
    Could actually be interesting come Lincoln next Tuesday.

Win at Accrington, combined with defeats for Portsmouth and Oxford means we just need a win against Lincoln to secure a spot in the Play-Offs, ironically with them in third they'd effectively be playing the team in sixth - If so do they go into the game next Tuesday thinking that they can beat us over two legs, or would they prefer Portsmouth / Oxford?

All IFS and BUTS though until it becomes reality.
    Lincoln are far too good to lose to this team. So are Accrington.
  • Options
    In my defence (See above), it bloody felt like a loss. I hope Nigel is right that we gained an important point. But God that hurt.
  • Options
    Adds to my pain...... 
    I never ever bet on charlton to win, lose or draw 😉
  • Options
    Could actually be interesting come Lincoln next Tuesday.

Win at Accrington, combined with defeats for Portsmouth and Oxford means we just need a win against Lincoln to secure a spot in the Play-Offs, ironically with them in third they'd effectively be playing the team in sixth - If so do they go into the game next Tuesday thinking that they can beat us over two legs, or would they prefer Portsmouth / Oxford?

All IFS and BUTS though until it becomes reality.
    Lincoln are far too good to lose to this team. So are Accrington.
    We shall see. One game at a time. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Completely bottled it.

Feel for Adkins must be hard to build up a team that has been mentally torn down so much by the season up til he took over.
    What a load of hog wash. We were on a winning run, players were protected by not playing unless they were 100% fit, we had a long injury list and didn’t have Famewo or Inness available.
    Did you see the interview with Mathews? Seemed confused that things were different now. Under pressure said it was positive that he likes him!
    To me we are becoming a soft touch again. We would never had started a game at home with one up front with Bowyer. Ever. Let alone in a must win game. 
    Fine having a preferred line up - when you have the players that can do that.
     Playing a left back up front! Really! I think that is b****cks! 
    We got away with it and he scored in one game. Were you impressed? Great finish, but did you think he would do it regularly? 
    I said in the preview that I would have played Stockley and Washington up front and Chucks in the hole. Not rocket science- play your best strikers in a need to win game.
    We should play our strongest players and the system works it own way out.
  • Options
    Might be a blessing in disguise. We look a far better attacking threat with Washington in the team. We need to change our style of play as we have been far too reliant on Stockley recently.
    Watson has been decent but offers nothing going forward. Shinnie is far better at linking midfield to attack and needs to come back for the last 3 games 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    WHAddick said:
    Good news...accy is an away. Bad news...Lincoln and Hull are home. That is all that needs to be said
    It’s possible some fans might be let in for the last two games. 
    Probably won’t be enough, based on Donny and MK games. 
    I think it’s all over now. 
    :-(
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Completely bottled it.

Feel for Adkins must be hard to build up a team that has been mentally torn down so much by the season up til he took over.
    What a load of hog wash. We were on a winning run, players were protected by not playing unless they were 100% fit, we had a long injury list and didn’t have Famewo or Inness available.
    Did you see the interview with Mathews? Seemed confused that things were different now. Under pressure said it was positive that he likes him!
    To me we are becoming a soft touch again. We would never had started a game at home with one up front with Bowyer. Ever. Let alone in a must win game. 
    We got away with it and he scored in one game. Were you impressed? Great finish, but did you think he would do it regularly? 
    I said in the preview that I would have played Stockley and Washington up front and Chucks in the hole. Not rocket science- play your best strikers in a need to win game.
    Lets not rewrite history, Rochdale at home under Bowyer we played one up front and Paul Smyth at right back.

Obviously Adkins likes to play with Wingers and we don't have many of them, Maatsen is a good fit there as he's been showing recently. Team will play very differently when he picks his squad over the summer, I'm confident of that.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Completely bottled it.

Is that the left back Bowyer played on the right wing at Hull or a different left back?

Your argument is nonsense firstly Bowyer did play one up front at home, more than once.  Secondly if he protected the players so they didn't play unless they were 100% fit Aneke and Washington couldn't/wouldn't have played.  You can't argue it both ways. 
  • Options
    terrible performance - the 433 experiment has run its course - not playing chucks is criminal - watson is criminal - this season's home form has been criminal - shinnie must be as confused as chucks as to why he's not playing - overall we just ain't good enough and its the midfield for me which has been the weakness all year - watson and pratley need to be first out the door, followed by pearce and gunter - get some legs in the team - half of crewe's team would do   
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I don't think I've been less interested in a Charlton side for a long time. Having no fans hasn't helped but the whole team is just a bit boring, which is what the football has been like all season. 

We've got some good players but as a team and squad we're just very workmanlike and I never feel confident we can get a good result. Home form is shocking.

Bet we can't give up. If we can find a 6 game winning streak again we'll be promoted at Wembley. I do think we need to have Washington and Aneke on the pitch longer. Stockley just doesn't do enough for me. 
    This. I'd love us to have some new hero's to idolise, but none of these guys do it for me. If every player in the squad left in the summer, only to be replaced with like for like, I'd take that. 

Maybe Bowyer was right in his assessment that these players are 'over' performing. They aren't good enough to get the club promotion and he looked into their eyes every training session and before every game and knew it. Hence his decision to jump ship, to avoid the disappointing end of season feeling of failure (with a small f). 
  • Options
    Amazing how people's views change on one goal.  If we'd held out fans will be saying we're going up.  Now we're a bunch of c****!
    Incredible.
    Tbf they were saying that at 1-1 as well, wasn't great was it?  Feels like a defeat.

What did you think of the Crewe No10?  Think it would have made a difference if we signed him in January? 
  • Options
    I wouldn't change things for Accrington too much but we need to be prepared for a formation change if 4-3-3 isn't working. I think at the Valley, we maybe need two up front. If we play Maatson and Matthews as  wing backs and give Millar license to swap wings it might make a difference.

Amos
              Matthews       Famewo      Inniss       Maatson
                                  Shinney   JFC   Gilbey
                                        Aneke        Millar
                                               Stockley

Not a great fan of the 4-3-3. Personally prefer Chuks to Stockley too, but also think they could be a handful together. Millar was our best player so slightly strange to sub him off

KettsJohn said:
    Should be used to disappointment but never do. Crewe deserved to win. We made them look so good. Just see the game out. 3 very tough games now. Not convinced we will do it but this is Charlton. 50 years of supporting them
    Why not play Washington up front with Stockley as he knows how to play off the shoulder and stay close,to his partner, and Aneke in his best no 10 position?
    Millar would be attacking tired players if he comes on as a sub.