Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Crewe Alexandra | Tuesday 27 April

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The worst thing is the misery can't even be over inside the next week.  At least this time next week we will probably know. 

Not sure how I feel about that it would have been robbery if we had won it, then it felt like we were robbed!

Watson can't play 3 games back to back.  JFC was out on his feet for the last ten minutes.  Its a massive worry because we don't have anything like a like for like replacement.  I thought it was all over when Inniss won that second header.

Gilbey is like a different player these last 5 or 6 games.  The balance DJ gives us was missing tonight.  Pearce had his worst game for 2 months.

I understand why people want 2 up top but it's difficult if you want a winger or 2 as well.  We don't really have a wide midfielder at all. 

We could easily have replaced Watson with Pratley and JFC with Morgan or Shinnie. While neither can do exactly the same role that JFC plays, having fresh legs can make a big difference. 

Or 442 with a winger on the left (Millar) and a midfielder like Morgan on the right. Like how Powell used to play with Bradley Pritchard on the right

Or even 352 with Gunter as the right centre back? He can't play as a 2, but can do a job as a right CB, especially as Crewe aren't an aerial side.
    When we replace JFC with Morgan or Shinnie we always concede 2 goals.........JFC is irreplaceable within this current squad. 

The 442 with 1 winger is an option and we did do it under Bowyer but I don't think either Morgan or Shinnie are that good at it.  Maybe Gilbey could play there but he was awful there earlier in the season, I have no idea if his massive improvement is down to position, fitness or other issues. 

Well we let in 2 goals tonight, and if Crewe had been better up front, would have conceded more

As noted on Valley Pass on the game, there was no pressure on the ball when Crewe were passing it around, players with more energy might have got closer to them
  • Options
    When it is in your hands with three games to go, you don't give up. 
    I don't think they'll give up and can't fault the effort just can't see them having some miraculous change in attitude where they can go and grab the jugular.

Just have to hope Portsmouth and Oxford drop points 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Amazing how people's views change on one goal.  If we'd held out fans will be saying we're going up.  Now we're a bunch of c****!
    Incredible.
    We would have been a bunch of c in the playoffs. As it stands we are just a bunch of c.
  • Options
    Amazing how people's views change on one goal.  If we'd held out fans will be saying we're going up.  Now we're a bunch of c****!
    Incredible.
    We would have been a bunch of c in the playoffs. As it stands we are just a bunch of c.
    Sunderland and Blackpool have both been in poor form, could beat either over two legs. 
  • Options
    We have to beat all three teams who have already beaten us this season to guarantee the playoffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When it is in your hands with three games to go, you don't give up. 
    Right! 
  • Options
    Only read the first page so far but all I'll say is we didn't even deserve to draw that. The players bottled it and it was like watching a Bowyer team again with no clue how to play just sitting deep and hoping we don't concede. Absolutely gutted with the performance most of all.
  • Options
    We have to beat all three teams who have already beaten us this season to guarantee the playoffs.
    And the only team that haven't beaten us this season in the play offs will be Sunderland (if Oxford are we won't be) funny old game Saint. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Completely bottled it.

Feel for Adkins must be hard to build up a team that has been mentally torn down so much by the season up til he took over.
    What a load of hog wash. We were on a winning run, players were protected by not playing unless they were 100% fit, we had a long injury list and didn’t have Famewo or Inness available.
    Did you see the interview with Mathews? Seemed confused that things were different now. Under pressure said it was positive that he likes him!
    To me we are becoming a soft touch again. We would never had started a game at home with one up front with Bowyer. Ever. Let alone in a must win game. 
    Fine having a preferred line up - when you have the players that can do that.
     Playing a left back up front! Really! I think that is b****cks! 
    We got away with it and he scored in one game. Were you impressed? Great finish, but did you think he would do it regularly? 
    I said in the preview that I would have played Stockley and Washington up front and Chucks in the hole. Not rocket science- play your best strikers in a need to win game.
    We should play our strongest players and the system works it own way out.
    Is that the left back Bowyer played on the right wing at Hull or a different left back?

Your argument is nonsense firstly Bowyer did play one up front at home, more than once.  Secondly if he protected the players so they didn't play unless they were 100% fit Aneke and Washington couldn't/wouldn't have played.  You can't argue it both ways. 
    Were you not one of the fans criticising him for doing that! On a score of 1 to 10 how popular do you think that decision to play him there was received?

More than once he played one up front’ when was that? Even so, you agree that he normally did play two up front. I think that most supporters would agree that Bowyer liked to play two up front home and away. Have you any stats that disprove this?

I believe he took medical advice and played players that took the medical advice that was given. Are you stating that he played both Aneke and Washington against that advice?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Completely bottled it.

Feel for Adkins must be hard to build up a team that has been mentally torn down so much by the season up til he took over.
    What a load of hog wash. We were on a winning run, players were protected by not playing unless they were 100% fit, we had a long injury list and didn’t have Famewo or Inness available.
    Did you see the interview with Mathews? Seemed confused that things were different now. Under pressure said it was positive that he likes him!
    To me we are becoming a soft touch again. We would never had started a game at home with one up front with Bowyer. Ever. Let alone in a must win game. 
    We got away with it and he scored in one game. Were you impressed? Great finish, but did you think he would do it regularly? 
    I said in the preview that I would have played Stockley and Washington up front and Chucks in the hole. Not rocket science- play your best strikers in a need to win game.
    Is that the left back Bowyer played on the right wing at Hull or a different left back?

Your argument is nonsense firstly Bowyer did play one up front at home, more than once.  Secondly if he protected the players so they didn't play unless they were 100% fit Aneke and Washington couldn't/wouldn't have played.  You can't argue it both ways. 
    Were you not one of the fans criticising him for doing that! On a score of 1 to 10 how popular do you think that decision to play him there was received?

More than once he played one up front’ when was that? Even so, you agree that he normally did play two up front. I think that most supporters would agree that Bowyer liked to play two up front home and away. Have you any stats that disprove this?

I believe he took medical advice and played players that took the medical advice that was given. Are you stating that he played both Aneke and Washington against that advice?
    No I am saying you can't defend Bowyer because he didn't play players who weren't 100% fit then critic Adkins for not playing players who aren't 100% fit. 

Adkins said he could only get 30 odd minutes out of both of them.  You slaged him off for not starting both of them.  A load of old hog wash you might say.

Edit: Also Bowyer's justification of playing Maatsen on the right wing and Adam Matthews at left back was to counter Wilkes on their left. Wilkes played on the other side yet Bowyer didn't change it. 
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Genuine question:

Is JFC a top League One CM or are we just so devoid of talent?
    Nope, not even our better players are good enough. Can’t wait to see the back of this bunch of useless fuckwits. It’s good that Adkins has had a couple of months to assess the squad, though I doubt it took him that long, and I can’t see many being here next season.
  • Options
    Only Burton and Peterborough have done the double over us this season.
  • Options
    Who have we done the double over Northampton and Bristol Rovers? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Who have we done the double over Northampton and Bristol Rovers? 
    Wigan as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Completely bottled it.

No I am saying you can't defend Bowyer because he didn't play players who weren't 100% fit then critic Adkins for not playing players who aren't 100% fit. 

Adkins said he could only get 30 odd minutes out of both of them.  You slaged him off for not starting both of them.  A load of old hog wash you might say.

Edit: Also Bowyer's justification of playing Maatsen on the right wing and Adam Matthews at left back was to counter Wilkes on their left. Wilkes played on the other side yet Bowyer didn't change it. 
    I am not defending Bowyer. I did not know that Adkins was playing players that weren’t fit or had them on the bench. All the reports said they were fit. Who say they aren’t?

What has that got to do with players who “were mentally torn down” which was the original comment? 
    Where has this they can only play 30 minutes come from?

Still all bollocks. Play your best strikers when you need to win. End of.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I think anyone with even half a brain knew that. We are trying to pick a side whilst many are carrying knocks and need to try to manage them as best we can. No way could either Chuks or Wash start, even half an hour was a risk, and if we’d brought them on earlier we could have lost either, or both, for the last three games. However, we are nearly now in the last chance saloon and we will have to start taking risks with some of them. I’d start Stockley and Wash on Saturday and leave Aneke to come on if needed, starting Wash and Aneke would be too risky in my opinion.
  • Options
    It's one bad performance in eight games.

It happens.

Yes I was shocked how bad we were and now don't really think we will make the play offs.

Washington playing RM for 15mins was a shocker for me, yep couple strange decisions in past couple game but nothing compared to the blatant not having a clue on the pitch for the past 6months.

Cant wait for this season to end tbh but if you'd told me 3 months ago we'd have it in our own hands for play offs with 3 games to go I'd have bit your hand off. 
  • Options
    A tired jaded performance. I see the value of keeping a settled side and not constantly changing it a la Bowyer. However maybe Nigel should have fielded different personnel from the outset to freshen things up a bit.
  • Options
    That was the first bad performance under Adkins and I would say he made some mistakes today. Maybe in hindsight but Stockily just didn’t work out up there. Too isolated. He received zero support from the midfield who I thought were pretty bad all game (excluding Gilbey who played ok). The second major mistake from Adkins was that he persevered too long with what just hadn’t worked in the first half. And that wasn’t in hindsight but pretty obvious for all to see. Bringing on Innis, Washington and especially Aneke made such a difference but it was too late. Even then we almost snatched a win but by then Crewe had their tails up and were full of confidence.Such a difference from the largely inept team we saw in the first half, but we handed that confidence to them on a plate.
    That truly was a bad performance which we just didn’t deserve to win. But, once we did go 2-1 up I thought we had done it but our ineptitude caught up with us in the end. 
    Now we really have a battle on our hands to get into the playoffs. In my opinion it’s essential we win the next two games to give us any chance at all. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Watson played like a 46 year old who still doesn't want to retire, as he still wants to live in Beckenham on an interest only mortgage!

Famewo looked very good and solid on the left hand side. Showed strength and poise. Pearcy has gone into Pearcy mode again, so I expect a change here.
    Watson looks more ready for Equity Release than interest only.
  • Options
    So would it be correct to say that Bowyer has done better since leaving than we have since he left?
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    I worry that someday many fans will get as tired of the "always looking on the bright side" statements by Nigel as they did of Lee's "blaming the players" statements. Positivity is good. Always being positive when we lose matches we should not might wear out quicker than some think.

• Options
    LouisMend said:
    I worry that someday many fans will get as tired of the "always looking on the bright side" statements by Nigel as they did of Lee's "blaming the players" statements. Positivity is good. Always being positive when we lose matches we should not might wear out quicker than some think.

We didn't lose.