Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    OS article certainly seemed to suggest we offered JFC a deal, but maybe he's turned it down. Would be very disappointed if w didn't at least offer him some kind of deal and support with his rehab - it's actions like that that give us a good rep as a club as a place players want to play and why so many former players have affection for the club. Would be un-Charlton like to just ditch him, and not a direction I'd want the club to start going in.
  • Options
    I really hope we haven't taken advantage of his injury situation and offered him a measly contract with the knowledge he'll struggle to sign elsewhere
    It should be a one year extension to his current contract, remember that was originally signed at the start of Roland's austerity, and has already been rolled over twice. It won't be that much. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Now we’re talking.  If we haven’t made an offer to re-sign him, this is the sort of pragmatic action (or in-action) we need.  Obviously can’t read too much into this, but if we haven’t offered him a contract, I’d be pleased 
    So would i
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I really hope we haven't taken advantage of his injury situation and offered him a measly contract with the knowledge he'll struggle to sign elsewhere
    It should be a one year extension to his current contract, remember that was originally signed at the start of Roland's austerity, and has already been rolled over twice. It won't be that much. 
    JFC is one of our highest earners currently. About 5K I believe. He benefited from a promotion wage rise, relegation wage drop was significantly less.
  • Options
    The next two weeks could be crucial.
    Why window don’t shut till sept 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JFC is one of our highest earners currently. About 5K I believe. He benefited from a promotion wage rise, relegation wage drop was significantly less.
    He didn't get a promotion bonus because he was out of contract at the end of the 18/19 season and signed a year with a one year option extension in his current deal.

No way did we offer him a new deal on 5k a week then offer new signings 2ish k a week. 
  • Options
    Maybe the contract offer took into account the fact he won't be playing for the next 6-9 months. 

Bit weird to immediately assume we're trying to screw him over.
  • Options
    His LinkedIn profile is still as cafc player. Tho so is solly’s!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    He didn't get a promotion bonus because he was out of contract at the end of the 18/19 season and signed a year with a one year option extension in his current deal.

No way did we offer him a new deal on 5k a week then offer new signings 2ish k a week. 
    I also have heard the same,5K 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021

Maybe Nige doesn't rate him and was going to release him or maybe JFC had made it clear he was not going to re-sign.  In either scenario I would expect us to offer him a year or 6months to get better but at pretty low wages to reflect the fact we had not planned for wages to him at all. 
  • Options
    doronron said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Lets be honest, even if it is 5k a week, if 260k fucks up "European football in 5 years"  I think we might have bigger problems.

If we can't, or won't, cover that we won't be signing these young, hungry talents people think we need 15 of.

If we don't do that we risk having 6 or 7 Lyle Taylors on our hands every April. 

Looking after JFC the person is very important, regardless of what you think of JFC the footballer. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    doronron said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Lets be honest, even if it is 5k a week, if 260k fucks up "European football in 5 years"  I think we might have bigger problems.

If we can't, or won't, cover that we won't be signing these young, hungry talents people think we need 15 of.

If we don't do that we risk having 6 or 7 Lyle Taylors on our hands every April. 

Looking after JFC the person is very important, regardless of what you think of JFC the footballer. 
    Or he's not seen as £5k a week value?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Doubt that's the case. Last summer the extra one year option was activated, but now his contract has expired we can offer him whatever we want really. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    doronron said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Or he's not seen as £5k a week value?
    Well obviously not if he is injured!!!  
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Now we’re talking.  If we haven’t made an offer to re-sign him, this is the sort of pragmatic action (or in-action) we need.  Obviously can’t read too much into this, but if we haven’t offered him a contract, I’d be pleased 
    We have offered him a contract .... 1 year deal 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    He was injured in the cause. I expect TS to look after that. Any decent emplo
    Very easy to spend other people’s money of course !
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    He was injured in the cause. I expect TS to look after that. Any decent emplo
    Very easy to spend other people’s money of course !
    It is the way things have always been, and the way it should remain. You look after a player who was injured playing when under contract with you.

I personally don’t think TS will have a problem with this. 

Probably cheaper than having the whole squad insured  anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Valley car park currently home to five or six containers/offices belonging to South Eastern Rail Services and a mountain of sand.

No, I don't know what it means either.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Valley car park currently home to five or six containers/offices belonging to South Eastern Rail Services and a mountain of sand.

No, I don't know what it means either.
    Considering I am at The Valley almost every day, I can assure everyone that it is not for the potholes. I repeat, not for the potholes.
    Its for all the new signings that you've seen arriving isnt it mate?
  • Options
    I’d like to think we’re in the market to replace JFC as he’s out for certainly a large part of the season. I’m keen on Cousins. I understand why people aren’t convinced, but he’s consistently played higher, right age, knows the club and I think he’d fit the bill as long as he’s fit. Not convinced he’d easily get a championship deal where he would make the starting line up and Charlton may be attractive for him to reestablish himself in a winning side.
  • Options
    If SG is on hols then good luck to him. If anyone knows when he’s due back maybe they could let us all know so we can revisit the rumour thread then. In the meantime I’d rather look forward to the Euros and dream of the new HS3 link to Charlton.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    So would i
    I think ‘now we’re talking’ was probably the wrong choice of words given his injury, so I take that back if it sounded harsh.  I simply don’t think he’s all that, even when fully fit.  I recognise I’m in the minority, given he got player of the year.  I recognise that for many, he could be part of a promotion winning team if he has better players around him, but I just think we need to be aiming higher.  I truly believe he got player of the year because the quality was relatively low last year.  He’s a great pro, applies himself, is popular among the squad etc etc, but we need better.  

Even if he wasn’t injured, I wouldn’t be too fussed if we didn’t offer him a contract renewal.  It’s the same with Gunter, Pearce, Matthews, Aneke, Watson.  I don’t think these players are players capable of promotion.  I really want to rip it all up and start again, however unlikely that is.  

This summer we have to be bold.  No Williams or Cousins coming back, 10/11 new players that are young, hungry and have got a bit of fight about them.  Stating the obvious, but just what I feel the squad needs 
    i agree - i'd like to do the right thing by him but if we are trying to cut a deal and offload, i also take that as a good sign
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i think - although i could be completely wrong - the fact there are very little rumours being leaked out, is a good thing - suggests we are doing business in a targeted and controlled way - a bit like the Curbishley / Murray years when u would normally hear nothing until it was done. May be wishful thinking, but i'm hoping for better than Williams and Cousins - Willliams due to his fragility and Cousins because, although we need an athlete or 2 in the middle, i never liked watching him play - always looked like a defender playing in midfield to me.      
    Well, we need someone to push Matthews into pushing Gunter, or vice versa, for that right back slot.
    Surely Southgate has set the president, we NEED four right backs!.
  • Options
    OS article certainly seemed to suggest we offered JFC a deal, but maybe he's turned it down. Would be very disappointed if w didn't at least offer him some kind of deal and support with his rehab - it's actions like that that give us a good rep as a club as a place players want to play and why so many former players have affection for the club. Would be un-Charlton like to just ditch him, and not a direction I'd want the club to start going in.
    Like many of the players have give a fck about the club the past 10 years. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!