Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2021
    It’s undoubtedly the last few seasons that has done it to me but....
    There’s nothing to suggest something is up with Thomas’ reign, is there? 
    If true, JFC potentially not being offered an extension seems strange and not in keeping with the way Thomas appears to roll.
    We also haven’t heard about Matthews, Amos and co. I know, I know many players could be waiting for better deals but I thought TS was going all guns blazing to set up a title-winning squad. 
    As I say, I know nothing, just beaten down by the many false dawns behind the scenes in recent years. 

• Options
    Not for one minute would the Club just ditch JFC. At the very least he’d get a further year on the same terms as before which I’d agree with as on the one hand he got injured whilst under contract so we have a duty to do right by him whilst on the other hand he is injured and we are unsure when he will be back. Whether he accepts that is another matter. 
  • Options
    So we give him a one year deal.  He recouperates and then buggers off?.....
  • Options
    He should get a 1y extension on less wages, with it triggering an increase to current wages and further year extension if he plays x amount of games next season
  • Options
    He should only get an extension if he is going to contribute towards us getting promoted this season. If not then he is depriving us of spending money on someone that will. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    He should only get an extension if he is going to contribute towards us getting promoted this season. If not then he is depriving us of spending money on someone that will. 
    Last season's POTY, played in the last promoted team, has Championship experience and still only 27-28, so should recover nicely with sensible, timely medical treatment.

Yeah, he's definitely got a contribution to make. Maybe he won't be the star performer or the big name but we need players like him.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    iaitch said:
    I prefer the Stingray line of 'anything can happen in the next half hour'.
    (195) Stingray TV intro (1964) - YouTube
    Wow, that took me back to my childhood 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    se9addick said:
    Last season's POTY, played in the last promoted team, has Championship experience and still only 27-28, so should recover nicely with sensible, timely medical treatment.

Yeah, he's definitely got a contribution to make. Maybe he won't be the star performer or the big name but we need players like him.
    Cool, sign him up then and I look forward to his contribution next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley car park currently home to five or six containers/offices belonging to South Eastern Rail Services and a mountain of sand.

No, I don't know what it means either.
    Thomas is bringing Nimer back into the fold and wants him to feel at home. This is great news. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-set-to-loan-out-maynard-brewer-as-boss-confirms-he-wants-ben-amos-to-stay/

An interest development but sort of undermines what JC said about the Pompey keeper 🤷‍♂️
    Blimey, Adkins starting a juicy rumour with this quote “If Ben goes to Real Madrid then I’ve got no qualms about playing Ashley.”
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-set-to-loan-out-maynard-brewer-as-boss-confirms-he-wants-ben-amos-to-stay/

An interest development but sort of undermines what JC said about the Pompey keeper 🤷‍♂️
    If Ben Amos does stay, and AMB goes out on loan (which to be fair he needs to for the reasons Adkins states) we will need a proper back up keeper. 

Not sure any of the youth keepers are ready yet to step up to the first team, even as back up.
  • Options
    panic stations!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Adkins is being positive towards Amos.
    It wouldn't be good for Amos confidence, or our chances of him signing a new contract, if Adkins said I want Amos to sign a new contract, even though I'm not certain that he'll be our number 1.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    In terms of Cousins, I would have him back if he is the same player who left us. He had limitations, most do, but he was a good player. I haven't been following his career closely enough to know what he is like now but I'm sure Gallen and Adkins will have better intelligence in which to make a decision if there is a decision to be made.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

If Ben Amos does stay, and AMB goes out on loan (which to be fair he needs to for the reasons Adkins states) we will need a proper back up keeper. 

Not sure any of the youth keepers are ready yet to step up to the first team, even as back up.
    Seems a waste of wages having an experienced keeper as backup when you can sign a keeper on emergency loan 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Seems a waste of wages having an experienced keeper as backup when you can sign a keeper on emergency loan 
    Yet you then take the risk of there being an emergency Goalkeeper thats good enough.
  • Options
    I would say we are in the market for a back up keeper what ever happens then, but not a number 1.

I would be more happy risking got getting one if Amos signs.  A player of Amos's experience is less likely to become unselectable, due to confidence/form, a player of AMB's could.

Also AMB has a history of concussions that you need to consider. 
  • Options
    Considering the last two years it's been our sub goalkeeper who's been out for sizeable periods of time injured maybe we need a third experienced keeper as well then just in case
  • Options
    MattF said:
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Yet you then take the risk of there being an emergency Goalkeeper thats good enough.
    Agreed, you might have to sign a keeper on a Friday to play on the Saturday, someone who doesn't know his teammates. There will be plenty of half decent keepers out there on a free to come in and compete with Amos. Definite right move for AMB too, hopefully a League 2 club is interested. 
  • Options
    Lots of talk about sending AMB out on loan and getting a back up for Amos, AMB is 22 years old, and surely has reached an age to be considered more than a constant "out on loan", what this does to the lads confidence is unknown, must be very disheartening 
  • Options
    Lots of talk about sending AMB out on loan and getting a back up for Amos, AMB is 22 years old, and surely has reached an age to be considered more than a constant "out on loan", what this does to the lads confidence is unknown, must be very disheartening 
    Phillips was around 22 / 23 before he got his opportunity - Goalkeepers always seem to wait a bit longer for their debuts than other positions 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!