Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Addicks59 said:
    Camara from Plymouth anybody.
    Picture this 😉;

I’m feeling 19 again. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Not so worried about Amos but I think we would miss Chuks goals....if he hasn't signed by now I think he is going elsewhere.....which is a shame. This would show me Thomas isn't throwing a lot of money at his Charlton project
    Its difficult with Chucks. Good player yes and causes all sorts of headaches for defenders. However, Up until now he cant last 90 minutes consistently and if he does manage that, he aint playing the next game. Ideally you want a squad who can play 90 minutes barring injuries & suspensions etc. 

If his money is less as a result of injury issues and is given is performance based bonus to bump up his wages then he might think sod that, ill go sit on the bench at another team who pay me what I want + the bonus. 

Its good business to get the possible deal for the club at the end of the day and if the club think they arent getting value for money from a player who cant last a season without guaranteed issues then you gotta cut them out. 

Aslong as the club have a replacement or 2 in mind then it shouldnt be an issue long term. 

I do want him to sign btw! 
    Might be a good idea he talks to Lyle Taylor around the "take the bunce & sit on the bench" marlarky. Depends on what you're happy doing & being remembered for I suppose - a great bloke & team player or a self centred money grabbing *****

Oh I'm not saying he should....far from it.

Just wondering if the club might think its better to put his wages to good use elsewhere. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Vfrf said:
    ct_addick said:
    Not so worried about Amos but I think we would miss Chuks goals....if he hasn't signed by now I think he is going elsewhere.....which is a shame. This would show me Thomas isn't throwing a lot of money at his Charlton project

We have a budget, we probably don't want to pay top tier wages for a player who can't play more than half of each game.

If Chuks expects to be paid Stockley wages, let him go find them elsewhere. Thomas has been clear we have a budget to work to and the team obviously think those funds are better distributed :)
    I can see both sides of this. If Chuks ends up at a different League One club it may favour one point, but if he goes to the Championship it is hard to compete surely with a club playing at a higher level. And of course, he may well decide to stay with us. I am keeping my powder dry and waiting for the 'Ocular Proof' as Othello would put it. 
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:
    Apparently we made an offer for George Dobson
    The player who was on loan to Wimbledon last season from Sunderland?

No thanks.
    But being linked to players from Cheltenham, Exeter and morecombe is okay?
    Don’t think who they currently play for should be relevant in terms of their ability and the potential that NA sees in them.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    DiscoCAFC said:

No thanks.
    Don’t think who they currently play for should be relevant in terms of their ability and the potential that NA sees in them.
    That was my point. The poster stated he didn’t want him because he was at Wimbledon last season and released by Sunderland.

if that was a good rationale, we would never have signed illic, mills or youds 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    DiscoCAFC said:

No thanks.
    That was my point. The poster stated he didn’t want him because he was at Wimbledon last season and released by Sunderland.

if that was a good rationale, we would never have signed illic, mills or youds 
    My bad, misread 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Addicks59 said:
    Picture this 😉;

I’m feeling 19 again. 
    Not you knob for old times sake? 
  • Options
    I don’t blame our three out of contract players doing their homework on what’s available but you can’t avoid the fact that their tardiness in signing or not is hindering the squad build. Until we know their intentions we don’t know who we need to be targeting as replacements or spending the budget elsewhere. I suppose it really is what it is but it’s not helpful to Charlton Athletic. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Aneke and Amos still deciding whether to sign new deals.
    Time to shit or get off the pot. 

Fitness testing tomorrow & Friday with players coming in next Monday to start pre-season. We really want to know where we stand with these players. Might be one thing trying to entice a player away from his current club but its another when the player has been here a few years & it's really just weighing up deal A with us or deal B with someone else. 
    I thought the ‘testing’ to be COVID tests before they start pre-season on Monday. 
    It's not going to take 2 days to test the staff for Covid.
    2 hours possibly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Addicks59 said:
    Picture this 😉;

I’m feeling 19 again. 
    Chances of anyone on Charlton life having got very close to Debby Harry around that era would have been either a roadie or a dealer. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Addicks59 said:
    Picture this 😉;

I’m feeling 19 again. 
    Not you knob for old times sake? 
    I'm having trouble understanding this comment.
  • Options
    I don’t blame our three out of contract players doing their homework on what’s available but you can’t avoid the fact that their tardiness in signing or not is hindering the squad build. Until we know their intentions we don’t know who we need to be targeting as replacements or spending the budget elsewhere. I suppose it really is what it is but it’s not helpful to Charlton Athletic. 
    It may or may not be. It is something we will be told later if it has or not, or won't be if they do sign.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Addicks59 said:
    Picture this 😉;

I’m feeling 19 again. 
    Show off!  I was only feeling 7 when i saw that picture back in the day!
  • Options
    It may or may not be. It is something we will be told later if it has or not, or won't be if they do sign.
    How could not knowing if you have a goalkeeper or not possibly not be a hindrance? 
  • Options
    How could not knowing if you have a goalkeeper or not possibly not be a hindrance? 
    Because there are dozens of goal keepers good enough to be our number 1, some of which will move very late in the window.  As Hamer and Steer did, in fact didn't we sell Phillips weeks after the season started?  We also have AMB so in the worst possible scenario we won't go into the 1st game of the season with Pearce in net!

The priority signings are 2 center backs, 2 midfielders and 2 wingers if the 4 do or don't sign.  In my opinion if any, all or none resign we still need those 6 players. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Because there are dozens of goal keepers good enough to be our number 1, some of which will move very late in the window.  As Hamer and Steer did, in fact didn't we sell Phillips weeks after the season started?  We also have AMB so in the worst possible scenario we won't go into the 1st game of the season with Pearce in net!

The priority signings are 2 center backs, 2 midfielders and 2 wingers if the 4 do or don't sign.  In my opinion if any, all or none resign we still need those 6 players. 

That’s the reality of it I accept but at present I assume the club are being forced to make enquiries about a GK and possibly taking resources away from other positions solely because we are waiting on Amos. Same true of Aneke and Matthews. That’s football but don’t tell me we wouldn’t be happier or better off knowing their intentions.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

That’s the reality of it I accept but at present I assume the club are being forced to make enquiries about a GK and possibly taking resources away from other positions solely because we are waiting on Amos. Same true of Aneke and Matthews. That’s football but don’t tell me we wouldn’t be happier or better off knowing their intentions.
    The thing is we don't know but that doesn't mean the club don't.  It might be signed, it might be verbally agreed and signed when they report for testing, we might of offered him a contract we know he won't accept and are actively approaching other targets, we might have offered someone else a deal and if they agree before them it's withdrawn.  We don't know and I don't really think that that is that important.

Unless of course you think we aren't doing anything until those 3 do, or don't, sign. 
  • Options
    Not saying we've got £30m to buy a Championship player, but hearing that fact last night that 17 year-old Bellingham has played 46 games this season at a top side on Bundesliga makes me ask, can we please buy some players that can last a season without injury and be decent and fit enough to play 90 minutes. If Chuck's signs at TS right price, so be it, if not cheerio.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not saying we've got £30m to buy a Championship player, but hearing that fact last night that 17 year-old Bellingham has played 46 games this season at a top side on Bundesliga makes me ask, can we please buy some players that can last a season without injury and be decent and fit enough to play 90 minutes. If Chuck's signs at TS right price, so be it, if not cheerio.

His league minutes were similar to Chuks league minutes but I get your point. 

Weird thing with Chuks is that the season before he came to us he played 38 League games totalling 2,547 mins (67mins per game) then barely played in the champ for us and last season featured 38 times in the league but only managed 1,539 mins (40mins per game).

I'd be pissed if he manages to play more elsewhere and I'd also much rather we kept him as his goals will not be easily replaced.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    I mentioned Dobson the other day, should be a player we are looking at. Holding midfielder that can play, plus still only 22/23. London boy we will hopefully be attractive. 
    I trust your opinion if you have watched him but why is it Sunderland loaned him out?
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    I mentioned Dobson the other day, should be a player we are looking at. Holding midfielder that can play, plus still only 22/23. London boy we will hopefully be attractive. 
    I trust your opinion if you have watched him but why is it Sunderland loaned him out?
    They didn't rate him or couldn't get the best out of him?

He didn't like living up north?

Matthews wasn't rated at Sunderland but is/was seen as our best right back.
  • Options
    Adam Matthews to Millwall? Surely not! Wonder if we are interested in Romeo? (Gossip from Millwall fan-site.)
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    RedRobin said:

It seems in modern football that often a change in manager brings in different ideas about players .

As for Dobson . I first became aware of him at Walsall and rated him . He obviously didn't kick on with the Mackems but I think it is significant that AFC Wombles improved when he went there . In our game at the new Plough Lane he impressed me .
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    RedRobin said:

Yeah I understand all that mate I am just asking specifically if he or someone knows why, not guesswork
  • Options
    Viv Solomon-Otabor 
  • Options
    Viv Solomon-Otabor 

Massive downgrade on Millar going by their respective stats for last season. Can't remember seeing him play tbh, anyone seen him actually play got a more informed opinion?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I think it is fair to say we have in NO way improved so far this transfer window. At best we have re-signed a couple of people and maybe brought in a couple of marginal people not wanted by their previous clubs. Unless all TS wants is a possible playoff crap-shoot next year (at best), we will need to start doing some serious business with some serious EPL players soon or it's gonna be another season just like the last one. I don't know about you but I am not interested in repeating that again.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!