Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Bloody glitch, sorry for double post,

Those reasons make sense, good opportunity for us to pick up some quality championship players hopefully, I also don't want over the hill players but late 20s is fine by me 
  • Options

Blackburn's release list, I know it's unlikely but I would love Bell at Charlton, he was imo one of Blackburns best players both times they played us at ours recently, so dangerous going forward and a quick player as well. Imagine he will get championship interest

Is it just me or are a lot of clubs releasing really good players in the championship? Feel like I'm out of touch or something with that league now because 2 years ago a lot of these players were high end 

Mulgrew is 35. Downing is 37 in July. Holtby and Evans must be over 30 too, so i'd guess they (as a lot of clubs will) want reduce the age of their squad.

Bell would be a decent signing though and we need a left back, but i think he will probably get lower half championship interest.
  • Options
    I remember when Lewis Holtby was an exciting young talent...now he's 30 and released by Blackburn
  • Options
    Adkins has been very clear he wants to build a younger squad going forward. I doubt we'll see many signings of players in their thirties, though a few in the mid-late twenties would not be surprising as that seems to be the best general age range for balancing experience with fitness.
  • Options
    I like Mulgrew but accept he doesn't meet Nigel's criteria. 

I would only take him if Pearce went as a like for like. Although I suspect he will ether go back to Fleetwood or Wigan or maybe somewhere like Accrington or Rochdale. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Lots of talk about our squad being too old and Nige getting the squad age a bit younger, I hope that the plan includes more blooding of our much acclaimed academy, U18/23 players as well as any newbies.
  • Options
    I remember when Lewis Holtby was an exciting young talent...now he's 30 and released by Blackburn
    Was brilliant on Football Manager back in the day, about FM11 I think.
  • Options
    Lots of talk about our squad being too old and Nige getting the squad age a bit younger, I hope that the plan includes more blooding of our much acclaimed academy, U18/23 players as well as any newbies.
    Can't think of many from U18/U23's that are ready for League One football . Barker maybe .
  • Options
    Poor old Steve Gallen is in for a busy summer.

Little did he guess what was coming, but I remember him saying 2 years ago, just after our Wembley triumph, that we had to rebuild and he had found it exhausting - and hoping that we then had a settled side to build on, without another major rebuild in the next close season.

Dream on, Steve. :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Can't think of many from U18/U23's that are ready for League One football . Barker maybe .
    Barker hasn't even been 1st choice for the u23s.  For what ever reason.  If he was genuinely knocking at the door you would have thought he would be playing more "mens" football?  Maybe he will be next season, maybe 22/23. 

There is no point blooding people that aren't good enough or ready just for the sake of it. 
    Fair enough, but I was never saying play for the sake of it, just that we don't get to see that much coming through to first team football, whether that is anything to do with ability or the managers perceptions, who knows, but until you try, well it is just that, unknown.
    What I will say is when they are in and good enough, just try an get contracts sorted and hold onto them for longer than half a season.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Little did he guess what was coming, but I remember him saying 2 years ago, just after our Wembley triumph, that we had to rebuild and he had found it exhausting - and hoping that we then had a settled side to build on, without another major rebuild in the next close season.

Hopefully with a bit of cash to spend its less stressful.  Less wheeler-dealing required. 
    Mind you that might be the bit he enjoys
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Barker hasn't even been 1st choice for the u23s.  For what ever reason.  If he was genuinely knocking at the door you would have thought he would be playing more "mens" football?  Maybe he will be next season, maybe 22/23. 

There is no point blooding people that aren't good enough or ready just for the sake of it. 
    Fair enough, but I was never saying play for the sake of it, just that we don't get to see that much coming through to first team football, whether that is anything to do with ability or the managers perceptions, who knows, but until you try, well it is just that, unknown.
    What I will say is when they are in and good enough, just try an get contracts sorted and hold onto them for longer than half a season.
    I'd like to see both Barker and Henry go on loan, maybe in January. Bit of mens football non-league will do them the world of good. The good thing about Adkins is how he mentioned bedding them into training. Hopefully some of the better prospects get the opportunity over the summer and then impress in the U23's. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Yep we have a complete rebuild to do again, but at least he has Ged Roddy to help him this time. :)
  • Options
    He's a Left Back / Winger isnt he? 
  • Options
    Looks like Randall out of contract at Exeter?
    He's already 24, so no development feed needs to be paid.

Our 2011-12  title winning skipper Matt Taylor is manager at Exeter. He said:
    "We accepted a bid back in the September window which was a decent amount of money and the player himself turned that down and we certainly didn't force the player to move .......".

No wage cap this time. Fill your boots young man.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    About Randall:

"
    At no stage this season has he been able to find any form in his game and that’s a stark contrast to what it was last season." From the Hull paper.

Proper Charlton signing then. 

• Options
    I've been keeping an eye on him and as the article says he was excellent (left winger) the season before last.
    But the season just ended he didn't get started at all well and then missed most of the second half of the season with a stress fracture.
    If he plays like 2 seasons ago I'd prefer him to Liam Miller (for instance).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought it was Joel Randall we were after.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    alangee said:
    I thought it was Joel Randall we were after.
    Yeah he was another Exeter player we tried to get in January
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I'd like to see both Barker and Henry go on loan, maybe in January. Bit of mens football non-league will do them the world of good. The good thing about Adkins is how he mentioned bedding them into training. Hopefully some of the better prospects get the opportunity over the summer and then impress in the U23's. 
    Really, if the last few years had been "normal" Morgan and Doughty would have probably come in to the first team picture this season.  I have no idea how many players we have lost from the academy in the last 5 years but I suspect its quite a few.

We have a void of talent between 18-21 and that won't change over night.  Even Gallen has mentioned it as a problem/priority. 

In an alternative world Morgan etc could be breaking into a good championship team with Aribo, Grant and Konsa in it funded by the sales of Lookman and Gomez.  But it is what it is. 
  • Options
    NB don't muddle Randell Williams https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randell_Williams, with
    Joel Randall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Randall, both at Exeter this season and both linked with Charlton.
  • Options
    NB don't muddle Randell Williams https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randell_Williams, with
    Joel Randall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Randall, both at Exeter this season and both linked with Charlton.
    It's like Jayden Stockley and Jordan Storey all over again. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It's like Jayden Stockley and Jordan Storey all over again. 
    Or Matt Smith and errr.......
    Paul Smyth? 
  • Options
    Looking forward to Joel Randell-Williams signing.
  • Options
    João Moutinho and John Mousinho...
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!