Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Rumour elsewhere that Gallen has been in Crewe today.
    Does he usually have to travel the country to negotiate transfers?
    Yes, believe he travels around quite a lot. Not everything can be done through the phone, sometimes meeting somewhere gets things done easier and quicker.
    Like Southall meeting MacAnthony ...
    That was a charade.
  • Options
    I saw two magpies this morning whilst driving the car. Means only one thing, big day today ( not ITK)

Bloody superstitions. Any ladders tomorrow I'm walking under them.
    Don't come back here complaining when the pot of paint hits you on the head.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Next he'll be saying the next two weeks are crucial!
    Wonder where he said that because posters on here at the Q&A today didn’t report him as saying that.
    When the players were training Scott Minto asked him something about more players before the end of the window and he said yes they were working on it.  Not worth commenting on on here as it is kind of obvious.  I didn't hear 'imminent' but there is only a month or so to the end of the window so any signing is kinda imminent.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Right .... Curbs has been seen with Nige today.  Words have been said. Experiences exchanged; understanding nods. Next week is the big one.

It won't be a marque signing but a solid reliable one without injury problems. Likely a Northerner who can play on shite pitches (further North than the Watford Gap)

Not ITK but sounds about reeeeettt..
  • Options
    edited July 2021
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Charlton have a perennial shortage of goals problem. Soon-to-be superstar Troy Parrot goes to ... MK Dons on a season loan.  I can't believe the player would CHOOSE MKD over CAFC so is this one Gallen et Al simply overlooked? 

That's Ipswich, MK Dons, Sunderland, Rotherham and Wigan who will be scoring for fun this coming season. And Ipswich are STILL buying up all the quality. 10 new signings already. All quality. I hear people going on about our "exemplary physio set up" as though they are the ones playing next season!! 

Inniss and a fit JFC aside, this current squad is way short of what it will take to "storm the league" as Tommy Standguard would say.  Inniss and JFC should be the very least level each player should be playing at to be cafc regulars. Dobson and Clare I hope will prove me wrong. Famewo, Gunter and Matthews are able. And perhaps Stockley and Washington will miraculously turn into Hunt and Mendonca this coming season. But I think if I was in this squad in training at this point I wouldnt be thinking we are going to p*ss it this season..
    Another one on here that just moans about everything.

Sure you're not Nick Gray/Vol au Vent Addick from the old 606 forums? You write awfully similarI

I'm sure I am neither of these. This is my first foray into Charlton forum. Also I wouldn't say my contributions are simply moaning. I am making an honest assessment of our current squad and illustrating what is needed. Constructive  criticism is a bit of a departure from "moaning". I suppose if one has no view on anything then everything can appear to be moaning. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Robson-Kanu, Johnnie Williams, David Nugent, Junior Hoylett & Sanogo are all available and clubless. At least one of them would be useful. Even grandpa Nugent would still bring goals...
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Charlton have a perennial shortage of goals problem. Soon-to-be superstar Troy Parrot goes to ... MK Dons on a season loan.  I can't believe the player would CHOOSE MKD over CAFC so is this one Gallen et Al simply overlooked? 

That's Ipswich, MK Dons, Sunderland, Rotherham and Wigan who will be scoring for fun this coming season. And Ipswich are STILL buying up all the quality. 10 new signings already. All quality. I hear people going on about our "exemplary physio set up" as though they are the ones playing next season!! 

Inniss and a fit JFC aside, this current squad is way short of what it will take to "storm the league" as Tommy Standguard would say.  Inniss and JFC should be the very least level each player should be playing at to be cafc regulars. Dobson and Clare I hope will prove me wrong. Famewo, Gunter and Matthews are able. And perhaps Stockley and Washington will miraculously turn into Hunt and Mendonca this coming season. But I think if I was in this squad in training at this point I wouldnt be thinking we are going to p*ss it this season..

Sure you're not Nick Gray/Vol au Vent Addick from the old 606 forums? You write awfully similarI

I'm sure I am neither of these. This is my first foray into Charlton forum. Also I wouldn't say my contributions are simply moaning. I am making an honest assessment of our current squad and illustrating what is needed. Constructive  criticism is a bit of a departure from "moaning". I suppose if one has no view on anything then everything can appear to be moaning. 
    Notwithstanding the fact that you’ve just got yourself wound up over a lad who scored 2 goals in 29 matches last season, to describe us as having a “perennial shortage of goals problem” is simply wide of the mark IMO. Our problems last season were at the other end of the pitch.

Johnny Williams isn’t the answer if you’re looking for goalscorer either.
  • Options
    Enter ... Celtic's Leigh Griffith's! Getting into some problems off the pitch may see a fresh start south of the border...

Why ever not? If we can tempt Simonsen here then anything's possible! COYA! 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Notwithstanding the fact that you’ve just got yourself wound up over a lad who scored 2 goals in 29 matches last season, to describe us as having a “perennial shortage of goals problem” is simply wide of the mark IMO. Our problems last season were at the other end of the pitch.

I think it is fair to say "perennial shortage of goals problem". We never score a lot. Aside from the SCP promotion year and the Hunt Mendonca year I can't recall us ever scoring enough goals in the last 40 years...
  • Options
    Robson-Kanu, Johnnie Williams, David Nugent, Junior Hoylett & Sanogo are all available and clubless. At least one of them would be useful. Even grandpa Nugent would still bring goals...
    The same nugent who has scored 3 goals in his last 40 games, including 2 in 16 in league 2. Davisson had a better league 2 record last season 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

I think it is fair to say "perennial shortage of goals problem". We never score a lot. Aside from the SCP promotion year and the Hunt Mendonca year I can't recall us ever scoring enough goals in the last 40 years...
    Grant/Taylor/ Igor got 40 goals between them. I know people will mention Magennis and Hull- who scored 80 goals- but you don’t tend to go up without goals in the squad 
  • Options
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Personally I think we’re good for goals up top this season, Stockers and Washington will score 35/40 between them, surely? That’s only if we get creative wingers/midfielders in who can assist and also contribute with goals. 

I also think Davison, who looks a completely different player, will surprise a few this season, a bit like Grant, albeit a completely different type of striker. 
    They may well get 35-40 between them, but where's the rest of the goals coming from though?

We lost Aneke (15 goals) and JFC (6 goals) is out for months. Apart from that i think our top scorer last season was Gilbey with 3.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Personally I think we’re good for goals up top this season, Stockers and Washington will score 35/40 between them, surely? That’s only if we get creative wingers/midfielders in who can assist and also contribute with goals. 

I also think Davison, who looks a completely different player, will surprise a few this season, a bit like Grant, albeit a completely different type of striker. 
    They may well get 35-40 between them, but where's the rest of the goals coming from though?

We lost Aneke (15 goals) and JFC (6 goals) is out for months. Apart from that i think our top scorer last season was Gilbey with 3.
    We certainly need more goals in the team.  Our midfielders don’t chip in with enough - it really surprises me that with Jackson as a coach that none of the midfielders hardly ever take up the kind of positions he used to as a player - Bowyer was a goal scoring midfielder as well. Maybe Clare will step up. And you would expect the centre backs to at least 7 or 8 between them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedRobin said:

Yeah agreed, need goals coming from all areas of the pitch. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    We’re mentioned as one of the clubs up against Pompey in the battle for free agents and Prem loans.

Why Danny Cowley believes patience could yet reap dividends for Portsmouth as they vie with Sunderland, Ipswich Town, Charlton Athletic, Sheffield Wednesday & Co for players

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/why-danny-cowley-believes-patience-could-yet-reap-dividends-for-portsmouth-as-they-vie-with-sunderland-ipswich-town-charlton-athletic-sheffield-wednesday-co-for-players-3329875

They’ve lost 16 players and have signed 8.

He said: ‘The Championship is not moving. That’s the reality.

‘Well, actually the Premier League has not moved yet which can happen when there’s an international competition in the summer.

‘They are still on holiday so there’s a lot of young players in first-team squads right now who could eventually become available.

‘We know the transfer window is a chain, and at the moment that chain is not moving as quickly as we would like.’

There was also Twitter post suggesting Cowley was unhappy with not being backed and would be resigning. Like the talk about Adkins it appears to be made up as it’s since been deleted.

It says ‘competing with’ and then includes Ipswich in the list…
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    RedRobin said:

You need goals in the team otherwise opponents know that if they stop one or two players, they stop you. That is why watching Morgan missing half chances annoys me. With his quality, he should be scoring some of them, not balooning them over the bar as he always seems to do. DJ looks like he will bag a few and Gilbey. I think Inniss may if he gets a run. I'm not yet convinced we have enough but am open to be.

When my son was saying we should drop Sterling in the Euros, I kept saying to him. Never take goals out of the team unless you are replacing them with more goals. A player, even a centre half, who doesn't score has to be pretty bloody good.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:

We certainly need more goals in the team.  Our midfielders don’t chip in with enough - it really surprises me that with Jackson as a coach that none of the midfielders hardly ever take up the kind of positions he used to as a player - Bowyer was a goal scoring midfielder as well. Maybe Clare will step up. And you would expect the centre backs to at least 7 or 8 between them. 
    In 2011/12 Jacko got 12, Hollands 7 and Waggy 5

We definitely need the likes of Morgan, Clare or Gilbey to get at least 5 goals each
  • Options
    RedRobin said:

In 2011/12 Jacko got 12, Hollands 7 and Waggy 5

We definitely need the likes of Morgan, Clare or Gilbey to get at least 5 goals each
    Also Dany N’guessan who chipped in with 4 goals in 7 games. Morrison got an impressive 5 as well.
  • Options
    Not a bad return from N’Guessan!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!