Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    If we could somehow get Dempsey and Lowery (I don't know how likely this is and it's probably one or the other) that would be a very good couple of additions. 
    Agree it would be an upgrade on what we’ve already got, but wouldn’t that be one too many central midfielders?

We’d have JFC, Gilbey, Dobson, Clare, Morgan, Dempsey and Lowery all fighting for 3 places
    Possibly one too many , could mean Dempsey is loaned out . But would allow for rotation 
    The Dempsey that Elliot mentions would be Kyle... Not Ben
  • sam3110 said:
    Could we get lapslie back think he would walk in this team now. 
    He can’t get in Mansfield’s team
    Why the lol? It’s true, he has started one game for Mansfield this season and has been on the bench every other game which suggests he isn’t interested.

I don’t get how a league 2 squad player like lapslie is all of a sudden good enough but when we sign a league 2 player, there is melt down on here?
    Why do you question every lol you get? Someone might be laughing at the fact he can't get in the team, as opposed to laughing at you. Get a grip ffs
    Because it’s weird. What’s funny about saying handout is in the national squad. If you were sitting in a pub and someone laughed in your face, what would you say. It’s rude.
  • edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    Maybe you BOTH need to chill a little? This is making me miss the argument thread, this would've been prime material.

As to the Dempsey rumour that is one I can see happening, they've quoted us a price, we've made a counter offer and now Gallen's got to do the haggling to get to a middle ground.
    I don't think there has been a light bulb moment. The price must have gone down else why bid now?

Gillingham are desperate for a striker and they can't bring one in without selling Dempsey and possibly Tucker as well.

Crewe can't do anything while the still have Lowery on the books.  There are probably a dozen or so other clubs in the same situation.

The problem is we have left ourselves too short and are more desperate than we needed to be. 
    I don't think it's a question of a "lightbulb moment", more like they put a price out there that no-one would pay so they now have to consider either accepting a lower price or not selling him (which as you say would not really suit them in bigger picture terms.)

If we are interested I suspect it's been the case for a while but either we've ramped it up due to performances or a change in the Lowery situation (if indeed he is on our radar) or they've buckled and are now actively trying to sell him.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    If we could somehow get Dempsey and Lowery (I don't know how likely this is and it's probably one or the other) that would be a very good couple of additions. 
    Agree it would be an upgrade on what we’ve already got, but wouldn’t that be one too many central midfielders?

We’d have JFC, Gilbey, Dobson, Clare, Morgan, Dempsey and Lowery all fighting for 3 places
    We need a squad and seeing as we play one up front, this is the kind of depth I was hoping to see this season. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Possibly one too many , could mean Dempsey is loaned out . But would allow for rotation 
    The Dempsey that Elliot mentions would be Kyle... Not Ben

Oh my bad for misreading it! Got a bit confused there but that now makes sense. 

Would possibly be too many to balance , of course there's Watson too. 
  • edited August 2021
    MarcusH26 said:

We’d have JFC, Gilbey, Watson, Dobson, Clare, Morgan, Dempsey and Lowery all fighting for 3 places
    I doubt JFC or Gilbey will be fighting anyone soon. And Watson was not supposed to be playing this season
  • thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    Maybe you BOTH need to chill a little? This is making me miss the argument thread, this would've been prime material.

As to the Dempsey rumour that is one I can see happening, they've quoted us a price, we've made a counter offer and now Gallen's got to do the haggling to get to a middle ground.
    I don't think there has been a light bulb moment. The price must have gone down else why bid now?

Gillingham are desperate for a striker and they can't bring one in without selling Dempsey and possibly Tucker as well.

Crewe can't do anything while the still have Lowery on the books.  There are probably a dozen or so other clubs in the same situation.

The problem is we have left ourselves too short and are more desperate than we needed to be. 
    I don't think it's a question of a "lightbulb moment", more like they put a price out there that no-one would pay so they now have to consider either accepting a lower price or not selling him (which as you say would not really suit them in bigger picture terms.)

If we are interested I suspect it's been the case for a while but either we've ramped it up due to performances or a change in the Lowery situation (if indeed he is on our radar) or they've buckled and are now actively trying to sell him.
    Sorry I ment a light bulb moment in our recruitment team.  In terms of we better get off our arses. I suspect they knew this would happen. 
  • Would certainly make them fight for a place in the team rather than thinking they can go through the motions
    mart77 said:
    We need a squad and seeing as we play one up front, this is the kind of depth I was hoping to see this season. 
    Yeah there’s nothing wrong with depth and competition for places, there’s just a fine line between squad depth and too many high earners that can’t get in the team. 

I’m just being picky, it’s certainly a better problem to have than the one we’re facing now.
  • edited August 2021
    MarcusH26 said:

Don't forget the main man Ben Watson...
    Cheers I’ve edited the above. 

I try to forget Ben Watson was our marquee signing last year
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:

Sorry I ment a light bulb moment in our recruitment team.  In terms of we better get off our arses. I suspect they knew this would happen. 
    Oh right, that makes sense. I do agree that they've probably guessed this would happen but I don't think we've suddenly out of the blue just decided to make an offer, I think this has been brewing in the background but we're finally seeing the "end of window" increase in movement that's apparently going to salvage our season*

* I'm not saying this is ACTUALLY going to save our season before the pedantic crew jump on this sentence.
  • Would certainly make them fight for a place in the team rather than thinking they can go through the motions
    mart77 said:
    Yeah there’s nothing wrong with depth and competition for places, there’s just a fine line between squad depth and too many high earners that can’t get in the team. 

I’m just being picky, it’s certainly a better problem to have than the one we’re facing now.
    Tbh I only want to see Watson doing what Pearce is currently doing, regardless of his wages and then I’d see the others (if Lowery and Dempsey signed) fighting it out which would be 4 players for 7 spots. I also really think if we don’t improve this area we will have a very long and hard season. 
  • Nearly a player a day needed now ..
  • Out of interest, does anyone know if the budget available to Adkins is more or less than what Bowyer had the season we went up?
  • chev said:
    Could be bollocks of course, but gotta just stump up 500k surely? If he’s actually a player we want lets go all out to get him. We’re desperate for a CM
  • edited August 2021
    cabbles said:
    Out of interest, does anyone know if the budget available to Adkins is more or less than what Bowyer had the season we went up?
    Depends how you look at it. We had no money for fees when Bowyer was here but he inherited a much higher wage bill to play with, as well as a more talented crop of u23’s
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m surprised Gillingham view Dempsey as the same value as Kirk. Personally think Kirk is worth more in a transfer market. 
  • Usual suspects on Twitter complaining the clubs skint and TS has given us no budget because our opening offer for Dempsey was only £200k
    Those people are the type of moron who goes to a house viewing and offers the asking price
  • Not one for Wikipedia, but Dempsey has won 3 POTY awards in his career thus far, can’t be bad that.
  • I’m surprised Gillingham view Dempsey as the same value as Kirk. Personally think Kirk is worth more in a transfer market. 
    Trouble with leaving business late is clubs will know we are desperate for signings and will up the price (unless they need the cash). They also have to find a replacement 
  • edited August 2021
    I’m surprised Gillingham view Dempsey as the same value as Kirk. Personally think Kirk is worth more in a transfer market. 
    Trouble with leaving business late is clubs will know we are desperate for signings and will up the price (unless they need the cash). They also have to find a replacement 
    Gills can't afford to replace him, and even if they could I thought they were under a transfer embargo.
  • chev said:
    Could be bollocks of course, but gotta just stump up 500k surely? If he’s actually a player we want lets go all out to get him. We’re desperate for a CM
    Yes but the trick is getting Gillingham to accept 500k. They probably quoted more
  • Usual suspects on Twitter complaining the clubs skint and TS has given us no budget because our opening offer for Dempsey was only £200k
    It the same lot who were moaning we weren't bidding for anyone! If we've put in a cheeky offer of £200k, my guess is that we knew they would reject it but it's an opening negotiation bid! Now that's business sense in my opinion, but there are some people you'll never please 
    It wouldn't surprise me if the same lot would've moaned if we had bid £750k straight away, and they would say we paid too much!!
    Exactly this. Some out there have no clue how these processes nor negotiations work 🤦🏻‍♂️. I am only too pleased to see a) a bid for a player is out in the public domain b) the player that has been bid upon looks pretty decent at L1 level.

Unless a bidding war starts and if we are serious about him and not using him as a pawn to secure another target (ie express serious interest elsewhere to try to close out a deal for an already preferred target), we will probably secure him undisclosed but between our opening and their bottom end estimate. Whatever happens, like others, I really hope Nigel has a few new quality options to use come this weekend in order to kick start our season.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!