Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:
    Does this Dempsey fella feel like shopping at the Clare not Kirk level? 
    That’s a genuine question, before the CL outrage kicks in
    No, he was their player of the year with 8 goals in 40 league apps (all starts).

That’s in a team where Jordan Graham scored 12 and signed for Birmingham, and their striker Vadaine Oliver scored 17.
    200k is definitely a piss take then. Is he in the last year of his contract?
  • edited August 2021
    Gillingham fans will tell you that Dempsey is their best player. Oxford fans couldn't believe we paid money for Clare. He couldn't get into their midfield so they played him at right back.

I'd be much more confident that Dempsey will work out. Good player  & reputation over a number of seasons since his Blackpool days ....& he has the odd goal in him (which our midfielders lack).
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Blackpool have low balled on Vela and have a low ball offer on the table for Dale as well. 
    Think this is going to be very common , clubs know what the financial situation is like so will start throwing in lowball bids initially. 

Gallen did talk about wanting flexibility at the end of the window if things did change with who becomes available at a good price.  
    Yeah i think we'll see a lot of movement after this weekend, clubs who are desperate for money will face the realisation that 'shit we really need to accept this bid'. Clubs who have some money to spend will hold the cards.

Absolutely agree , I think the penny will start to drop and you'll see deals start to pick up . Hopefully we've been smart enough with the budget to hold some cards. 
  • Offering just £200 thousand for Dempsey is a bit of a poor opening bid,our fans would be wetting there bed if a club came in for Stockley for that amount.I wonder if any teams are looking at any of our players with the window closing soon 
  • doronron said:
    Offering just £200 thousand for Dempsey is a bit of a poor opening bid,our fans would be wetting there bed if a club came in for Stockley for that amount.I wonder if any teams are looking at any of our players with the window closing soon 
    If they are then I should imagine the last 4 league games will have put them off…perhaps that’s part of Adkins game plan. 
  • There definitely appears to be truth in the Dempsey rumours as wasnt at training yesterday at Gillingham - seems they want Josh Davison on loan as part of the deal. 

Would only consider that if we brought 2 strikers in ourselves. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Lots of positive vibes on the forum around.."rumours".., got a feeling in me bones something is afoot, be good time to get something done before Saturday, and that's where we are heading not ITK, just a hunch, ..
  • doronron said:
    Offering just £200 thousand for Dempsey is a bit of a poor opening bid,our fans would be wetting there bed if a club came in for Stockley for that amount.I wonder if any teams are looking at any of our players with the window closing soon 
    Not really Gillingham have a huge tax bill that needs clearing why not try a low offer …. good business sense by CAFC …… but all the time there championship interest Gills will hold out until late on deadline day when they might just accept a lower offer 
  • So the pool of quality (ish) players like Lowery and Dempsey is being stalked by clubs with some money like us and it seems Shrewsbury and Blackpool and probably a few more Championship clubs. The risk at this point of our brinkmanship going spectacularly wrong must be very high. In fact we could easily get sucked into a last minute bidding war and end up with nothing. Never dull is it.
  • Sage said:
    There definitely appears to be truth in the Dempsey rumours as wasnt at training yesterday at Gillingham - seems they want Josh Davison on loan as part of the deal. 
    Do it, 100%. All parties benefit as Davison gets a year in League One and we hopefully sign a striker anyway before the end of the window.
    Wouldn't be too fussed if that was a loanee as they're only going to be back-up to Stockley anyway. No real point blowing the bank on a reserve.
  • I can't remember ever in my many decades of being a Cafc fan when there isn't a rumour of a club wanting or preparing a bid for any of our first team squad, in a window or when you could buy at any time ?

21st in League 1 may be the clue.
  • There definitely appears to be truth in the Dempsey rumours as wasnt at training yesterday at Gillingham - seems they want Josh Davison on loan as part of the deal. 
    Does he need a lift? I think a few lifers would offer to drive him there if that's the deal breaker.
    Fair enough but, if we don't get a striker in the next 7 days to push/support Stockley, sad as it may seem, we may need and rely on Davison a bit more to perform that role if needed, the only other realistic backup is Washington..
    I hope you’re more ITK than this guy.

Oh FFS Cawley!!
  • Sponsored links:

Now why did you post that!
    Why couldn’t you let the speculation flourish until at least lunch time?
    I am holding you personally responsible for all the crap that is posted until 1pm.
    There. Smoke that!
    🙃
  • Redrobo said:
    There definitely appears to be truth in the Dempsey rumours as wasnt at training yesterday at Gillingham - seems they want Josh Davison on loan as part of the deal. 

Now why did you post that!
    Why couldn’t you let the speculation flourish until at least lunch time?
    I am holding you personally responsible for all the crap that is posted until 1pm.
    There. Smoke that!
    🙃
    I apologise it was a mood dampener but I just can’t be arsed with the meltdown when he turns up at Ipswich.
  • The Cawley thing was on here yesterday. Of course "as things stand right now it is highly unlikely to happen", we made an offer that has been turned down and unless we up that offer then it remains "highly unlikely to happen". 
  • Clarky said:
    The Cawley thing was on here yesterday. Of course "as things stand right now it is highly unlikely to happen", we made an offer that has been turned down and unless we up that offer then it remains "highly unlikely to happen". 
    I think it’s more likely Lowery or someone else is higher up our list.
  • Would be funny if this was the plan and Clare and Dobson are always signed us squad players/projects and come deadline day Tommy is making it rain with Lowery and Dempsey to complete centre Mid. 
    I don't think the plan was ever to go into the first 5 games with Clare, Dobson, Morgan and Watson as our only central midfielders and Gunter at left back though..... 
  • Sage said:
    £200k is a little low, but I don’t think it’s that low.

Let’s assume for arguments sake he’s on £2500 a week, Gillingham can’t pay high wages and that’s still good for a League One player, in my opinion.

He would be due to earn/cost Gillingham £120,000 between now and his contract finishing, including the extra month he gets if he doesn’t find a new club.

An offer of £250k could well be enough as we would be paying his contract off and giving them £130k on top.

They need the money, it’s the way football works, especially lower down the pyramid.
    That would assume though that we're the only party interested, which I doubt if the player is any good
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!