Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• If we've got no money to spend I really hope we sign a free agent or two. I'd still go in for Joe Bennett at left back, loaning a CB, CM and striker. 
  • se9addick said:
    Sage said:
    £200k is a little low, but I don’t think it’s that low.

Let’s assume for arguments sake he’s on £2500 a week, Gillingham can’t pay high wages and that’s still good for a League One player, in my opinion.

He would be due to earn/cost Gillingham £120,000 between now and his contract finishing, including the extra month he gets if he doesn’t find a new club.

An offer of £250k could well be enough as we would be paying his contract off and giving them £130k on top.

They need the money, it’s the way football works, especially lower down the pyramid.
    Not sure I follow the maths on that one. Won’t we be “paying his contract off” (by giving him a contract at Charlton) and paying them £250k (the hypothetical transfer fee) on top?
    Because they would receive the money they are due to pay him, so we would be effectively paying up his contract. We then provide him with a contract of our own. It would be the same for any deal. Just we would be saying that his market value is 2x the amount of his remaining contract. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

Let’s assume for arguments sake he’s on £2500 a week, Gillingham can’t pay high wages and that’s still good for a League One player, in my opinion.

He would be due to earn/cost Gillingham £120,000 between now and his contract finishing, including the extra month he gets if he doesn’t find a new club.

An offer of £250k could well be enough as we would be paying his contract off and giving them £130k on top.

They need the money, it’s the way football works, especially lower down the pyramid.
    That would assume though that we're the only party interested, which I doubt if the player is any good
    This also assumes that other intrested parties, ie the usual parties who would be intrested in a Dempsey/Lowery level player have got any room or money left.

If Ipswich, the usual example, think more players is the answer they might have to off load someone they have only just signed. 

But this assumes the club's that spend on A player don't come in as well, we're not competing with Ipswich etc. It's the Oxfords and Rotherhams who will add that one key player in 200-400k bracket that we need to worry about - as they'll be thinking the same as us.

And of course, championship clubs looking for a squad filler. 

And one of the other L1 clubs could lose a player in the next week too, so will then have funds to spend which they wouldn't have otherwise
  • edited August 2021
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Sage said:

Not sure I follow the maths on that one. Won’t we be “paying his contract off” (by giving him a contract at Charlton) and paying them £250k (the hypothetical transfer fee) on top?
    Sage has explained it perfect, essentially any wages saved would be a saving to them as well as the fee we will pay. So essentially £200k is not just that to Gillingham, its that on top of the wages they would have had to pay him for the next year
    Right…so how are we only giving them “£130K on top”? Gillingham would no longer have the salary as a liability because we would be paying him for the remaining duration of his contract (£120k) and they would get a transfer fee on top (£250k)? Surely the amount they get on top of no longer being liable for his salary is the full transfer fee?
    no it doesn't save us money, eg. cost to us £200-250k whatever hypothetical, i am saying the selling club Gillingham might be more inclined to do business as they would save his wages on top of he fee agreed. Thats what i think Sage was getting at, unless i am mistaken, the figures are all hypothetical at this stage they could save £100k in wages, then get another £250k on top which makes business sense to the seller. Which in turn means we get him cheaper factoring this in. 

I might be well out, but in practice it seems reasonable rather than just offer £500k, so its factored in possibly. 
  • Smithy said:
    His wiki says he can play RB, CM and LB
    "Can play" is very different from being natural or decent in that position

Gunter and Matthews can play left back, Pratley can play CB, Solly could play LB and CM, but in reality it's emergency cover only
  • Smithy said:
    Mind you Wiki say's the same about Gunter, "attacking full back capable of playing on both flanks"..

Can that be changed to just "full back".

He's can't play on both flanks, he's not attacking, and he's barely capable.
    Correct, in fact, i would suggest amend further to "Just about" B)
  • I hope we're happy with ourselves for not offering Gillingham over the odds ;)

https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/club-statement
    It sounds like the club are more disappointed with the concert being cancelled than the game 😂
    They were taking a leaf out of Roland's book... They just wanted to dance with somebody
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Smithy said:
    Mind you Wiki say's the same about Gunter, "attacking full back capable of playing on both flanks"..
    Wikipedia isn't a bible on this. Anyone can add things. Of course  you know that 
    Of course we know that, but..Is this a confession B)
  • Played at RB, Gunter is considerably more attacking than Matthews. Like, it isn't close - he is often trying to get to the byline. Matthews just happens to be a more solid defender
  • Rothko said:
    I do get the sense that Cawley is less connected to what’s happening then before 
    Andy Marshall used to feed him a lot of information
  • VFR4life said:
    Rothko said:
    I do get the sense that Cawley is less connected to what’s happening then before 
    Andy Marshall used to feed him a lot of information
    Yep, can sense he’s a couple of steps removed now 
  • Todd Kane would be an odd one , don't think we need another RB and served a 7 game ban last season for abuse towards Sergi Canos 
  • If Richard Cawley is correct and our final fling will be loans then I can see fans drifting away in droves. Not a prayer of top six. We’ve become a well established third tier club now. Shocking. TS needs to break silence and put the record straight. 
    Lowery going to cost us money …. and Dempsey if we go back will cost us money as well 
  • If Richard Cawley is correct and our final fling will be loans then I can see fans drifting away in droves. Not a prayer of top six. We’ve become a well established third tier club now. Shocking. TS needs to break silence and put the record straight. 
    Lowery going to cost us money …. and Dempsey if we go back will cost us money as well 
    I’m not surely Cawley is as in as he was and so I wouldn’t worry too much. I think 4 loans and 2 perms are the absolute minimum we still needed but what we need and what we get are 2 different things 
    No shit Sherlock. Cawley’s tweet was suggesting that although permanent deals were not impossible, it was more likely loans from now on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Championship Loan incoming.
    Who?
  • Chunes said:
    What is making people say Cawley doesn't know as much? He's always been bang on the money
    Hasn't he said himself that the club is much tighter with info and that he is now only getting news one just before the club make it public?
  • Chunes said:
    What is making people say Cawley doesn't know as much? He's always been bang on the money
    Hasn't he said himself that the club is much tighter with info and that he is now only getting news one just before the club make it public?
    So, exactly the same as before - just later.
  • The silence coming out of the club and TS is absolutely deafening. In some regard it'd be fair to question the right of the supporters to know the behind the scenes ongoings but after Saturday we definitely deserved something. TS has never been so quiet! 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!