Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    Has Rich Cawley put out any lines about what is likely to happen between now and Tuesday? ‘We’re expecting a busy few days’ type stuff or silence from the club?
  • edited August 2021
    Scoham said:
    Clarky said:
    The Cawley thing was on here yesterday. Of course "as things stand right now it is highly unlikely to happen", we made an offer that has been turned down and unless we up that offer then it remains "highly unlikely to happen". 
    I think it’s more likely Lowery or someone else is higher up our list.
    Could be, didn't somebody say we also had a bid turned down for Lowery? If so, this may be a tactic to apply to pressure on Crewe!
  • Sage said:
    £200k is a little low, but I don’t think it’s that low.

Let’s assume for arguments sake he’s on £2500 a week, Gillingham can’t pay high wages and that’s still good for a League One player, in my opinion.

He would be due to earn/cost Gillingham £120,000 between now and his contract finishing, including the extra month he gets if he doesn’t find a new club.

An offer of £250k could well be enough as we would be paying his contract off and giving them £130k on top.

They need the money, it’s the way football works, especially lower down the pyramid.
    Not sure I follow the maths on that one. Won’t we be “paying his contract off” (by giving him a contract at Charlton) and paying them £250k (the hypothetical transfer fee) on top?
  • Valley11 said:
    Has Rich Cawley put out any lines about what is likely to happen between now and Tuesday? ‘We’re expecting a busy few days’ type stuff or silence from the club?
    He expects more signings, but that's hardly headline news as we know that we will bring in some loan players, whatever happens

Whether they're top quality ones or the dregs that other clubs want shot of is the unknown
  • Sage said:
    There definitely appears to be truth in the Dempsey rumours as wasnt at training yesterday at Gillingham - seems they want Josh Davison on loan as part of the deal. 
    Do it, 100%. All parties benefit as Davison gets a year in League One and we hopefully sign a striker anyway before the end of the window.
    I've mentioned this before, but when I see a swap deal mentioned it always makes me think its probably a false rumour. I just feel like they never really happen that much beyond video games. 
  • Sage said:

Let’s assume for arguments sake he’s on £2500 a week, Gillingham can’t pay high wages and that’s still good for a League One player, in my opinion.

He would be due to earn/cost Gillingham £120,000 between now and his contract finishing, including the extra month he gets if he doesn’t find a new club.

An offer of £250k could well be enough as we would be paying his contract off and giving them £130k on top.

They need the money, it’s the way football works, especially lower down the pyramid.
    That would assume though that we're the only party interested, which I doubt if the player is any good
    This also assumes that other intrested parties, ie the usual parties who would be intrested in a Dempsey/Lowery level player have got any room or money left.

If Ipswich, the usual example, think more players is the answer they might have to off load someone they have only just signed. 
  • edited August 2021
    se9addick said:
    Sage said:

Not sure I follow the maths on that one. Won’t we be “paying his contract off” (by giving him a contract at Charlton) and paying them £250k (the hypothetical transfer fee) on top?
    Think he means that Gills wont have to pay his wages for the season, which will save them £130k , plus the transfer fee so a net saving of £380k for the season , assuming they don't replace him
  • se9addick said:
    Sage said:

Sage has explained it perfect, essentially any wages saved would be a saving to them as well as the fee we will pay. So essentially £200k is not just that to Gillingham, its that on top of the wages they would have had to pay him for the next year
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

That would assume though that we're the only party interested, which I doubt if the player is any good
    This also assumes that other intrested parties, ie the usual parties who would be intrested in a Dempsey/Lowery level player have got any room or money left.

If Ipswich, the usual example, think more players is the answer they might have to off load someone they have only just signed. 

But this assumes the club's that spend on A player don't come in as well, we're not competing with Ipswich etc. It's the Oxfords and Rotherhams who will add that one key player in 200-400k bracket that we need to worry about - as they'll be thinking the same as us.

And of course, championship clubs looking for a squad filler. 

• Brexit having a big influence on this window?
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

But this assumes the club's that spend on A player don't come in as well, we're not competing with Ipswich etc. It's the Oxfords and Rotherhams who will add that one key player in 200-400k bracket that we need to worry about - as they'll be thinking the same as us.

And of course, championship clubs looking for a squad filler. 

It's Sunderland we have to be most worried about going head to head with a player.  Of course if a championship club get involved we almost certainly won't get them. 
  • Cloudworm said:
    Brexit having a big influence on this window?
    Massively 
  • Just been told by The QPR  fan, Charlton have enquired about Todd Kane on loan, now out of favour with QPR and training with their academy.
  • Bailey said:
    Just been told by The QPR  fan, Charlton have enquired about Todd Kane on loan, now out of favour with QPR and training with their academy.
    Yuk.
  • Isn’t he another right back?
  • His wiki says he can play RB, CM and LB
  • There definitely appears to be truth in the Dempsey rumours as wasnt at training yesterday at Gillingham - seems they want Josh Davison on loan as part of the deal. 
    Wednesday tends to be a footballers day off so it's no real surprise if he is not at training.  In fact he was playing gold with Jack Tucker at Chart Hills
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

Ipswich definitely have to offload players, their squad is already over the limit allowed.
  • edited August 2021
    Smithy said:
    His wiki says he can play RB, CM and LB
    Mind you Wiki say's the same about Gunter, "attacking full back capable of playing on both flanks"..
  • se9addick said:
    Sage said:

Sage has explained it perfect, essentially any wages saved would be a saving to them as well as the fee we will pay. So essentially £200k is not just that to Gillingham, its that on top of the wages they would have had to pay him for the next year
    Right…so how are we only giving them “£130K on top”? Gillingham would no longer have the salary as a liability because we would be paying him for the remaining duration of his contract (£120k) and they would get a transfer fee on top (£250k)? Surely the amount they get on top of no longer being liable for his salary is the full transfer fee?
  • Dempsey looks like a grafting central midfielder with an eye for goal.  He takes a good set piece too which is badly needed.  Not afraid to tackle either but from what I have seen he is not an Andy Reid type creative player - more of a Kinsella type of player albeit slightly more offensive.
  • edited August 2021
    There definitely appears to be truth in the Dempsey rumours as wasnt at training yesterday at Gillingham - seems they want Josh Davison on loan as part of the deal. 
    Does he need a lift? I think a few lifers would offer to drive him there if that's the deal breaker.
    Is it usual to loan a player to a team in the same division ?
    We loaned Oztumer to Bristol Rovers last season.

Happens all the time in the Premier League, players just cant play against their parent club

Conor Gallagher to West Brom and now Crystal Palace for example.
  • Smithy said:
    Mind you Wiki say's the same about Gunter, "attacking full back capable of playing on both flanks"..

Can that be changed to just "full back".

He's can't play on both flanks, he's not attacking, and he's barely capable.
  • edited August 2021
    I reckon it'll be 2 loan signings now and that'll happen on the last day of the window
  • edited August 2021
    Smithy said:
    Mind you Wiki say's the same about Gunter, "attacking full back incapable of playing"..
    Fixed for you.
  • MrBurns said:
    I reckon it'll be 2 loan signings now and that'll happen on the last day of the window
    I think we’ll sign one, possibly two, and loan two, possibly three. 
    Hope so anyway. Without reinforcements we’ll really struggle. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!