Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• If arter joins and gilbey returns soon, maybe Clare can be the attacking right back
    "Sean, you know how you left Oxford because you didn't want to play right back..."
  • Maccn05 said:
    I do wonder if this weeks signings will instigate a change of formation to Adkins previously preferred 4231… something like

Mcgivilray

Matthews Inniss Famewo Purrington 

Arter        Dobson

DJ                 Lee                Kirk 

Stockley 
    Isn't that exactly what we have been playing already? 
  • Redrobo said:
    sam3110 said:
    I thought Arter hated us after we let him go?
    I thought that was the lad from Gillingham?
    people are getting there wires crossed, its Lee from gillingham and Lyle from forest
  • wmcf123 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    I do wonder if this weeks signings will instigate a change of formation to Adkins previously preferred 4231… something like

Mcgivilray

Arter        Dobson

Stockley 
    That’s how I’d line up but Morgan for Dobson perhaps.
    This system will never work.  We all hated it when Robinson played it and we had better players then.
    There's not that much difference between 433 and 4231 really

• edited August 2021
    Re: Arter's age, Gallen said that we would look to bring in a few experienced players as well. It's not just going to be all young'uns. 

Also, I would be surprised if his legs are gone at 31 years old. 
  • Redrobo said:
    sam3110 said:
    That’s Bradley Dack and I believe that is true.
  • Chunes said:
    Re: Arter's age, Gallen said that we would look to bring in a few experienced players as well. It's not just going to be all young'uns. 

Gunter was only 31 when he came in, and is only 5 months older than Arter, and it can be argued that he's declined significantly from his peak

• Quite a reliable source
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:

Gunter was only 31 when he came in, and is only 5 months older than Arter, and it can be argued that he's declined significantly from his peak
    Eventually we should get some luck with a player. This could be it.
  • edited August 2021
    Chunes said:

I don't think Gunter's legs have gone. He's just been shit. 

And will Arter be shit just because Gunter has been?

The real question will be whether he's lost his motivation and is just playing out his final years, or he's gunning to play football again after being frozen out at Forest. I guess we'll find out soon enough. 
  • edited August 2021
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

And will Arter be shit because Gunter has been?
    What other explanation for a player of Gunter's pedigree being substandard can there be other than physical degradation? He's gained more experience, had more training. Short of getting the yips (which isn't really documented in football aside from in strikers), how could Gunter, once of Spurs, be hapless in League One if his legs haven't gone and he's trying to make up for it and failing? 
  • If we need or go after another CB I’d like Sam Woods who Palace let go, think he is 22 and right sided, good age and suitable replacement for Inniss
  • edited August 2021
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

What other explanation for a player of Gunter's pedigree being substandard can there be other than physical degradation? 
    You can't be serious @leuth

You're intelligent enough to come up with some other reasons without me helping!
  • Redrobo said:
    sam3110 said:
    THATs HIM!
  • Maccn05 said:

Mcgivilray

Arter        Dobson

Stockley 
    That’s how I’d line up but Morgan for Dobson perhaps.
    Too attacking, can’t have Morgan in that midfield, you need someone doing the dirty stuff. 
  • Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

What other explanation for a player of Gunter's pedigree being substandard can there be other than physical degradation? 

You're intelligent enough to come up with some other reasons without me helping!
    It has to come down to him protecting his body as he can't do the things he used to do unrestrained. There might be comorbid mental issues and he has been played out of position at times, but...are you suggesting he isn't trying? Players who don't try get sussed by managers instantly, dropped, and don't play again
  • Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    sam3110 said:
    THATs HIM!
    Old colleague of mine went to school with him.
    its fair to say that he hates the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Do Canio was what 34 / 35 and was absolute filth when he signed for us, sure Hazzas best days are in the rear view mirror, but surely it doesn’t mean we should never sign a player aged over 30 again, that would be daft?

Ive no idea of how this would work out, Gunter and Watson have not been great signings yet, if we’re being completely honest, Hazza brings bags of experience, doesn’t come with a bad rep character as far as I’m aware, welcome on board son, please announce this soon Charlton!

• CafcSCP said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    sam3110 said:
    THATs HIM!
    Old colleague of mine went to school with him.
    its fair to say that he hates the club.
    The only thing that’s consistent at the club when he went to what it is now…is the ground!
  • Chunes said:

So would I, but I do find it difficult to understand why someone with nearly a hundred Premier League appearances to his name would sign for a League One side when he's only 31.

I also don't understand why he can't get near the Forest team. Watson made 45 appearances for Forest the season before he joined us, and they finished 7th in the Championship that year.

There could be perfectly good reasons why Arter's willing to drop to League One and why it hasn't worked out for him at Forest, but I know he had some injury problems last season, so it is a bit of a concern that he may not be the player he was. Hopefully it'll be a case of a new start with a manager that believes in him, and it'll work out well for us.
  • Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

What other explanation for a player of Gunter's pedigree being substandard can there be other than physical degradation? He's gained more experience, had more training. Short of getting the yips (which isn't really documented in football aside from in strikers), how could Gunter, once of Spurs, be hapless in League One if his legs haven't gone and he's trying to make up for it and failing? 
    Yet Gunter still gets called up for Wales. I thought the Euros would have been the perfect stage for him to call it a day at international level or for Wales to say thanks for the 100+ caps but now they want to give younger players a chance.

Yet Gunter gets called up again for the next round of internationals, you don't get called up if your legs have gone.
  • edited August 2021
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

It has to come down to him protecting his body as he can't do the things he used to do unrestrained. There might be comorbid mental issues and he has been played out of position at times, but...are you suggesting he isn't trying? Players who don't try get sussed by managers instantly, dropped, and don't play again
    The only reason for a player going out of form is physical degradation? What if they're 25? Good players don't ever go out form? Good players always play well at every club they play for? It always works out? They don't also have things happen outside of football that affect their game?  Partnerships on the field? They get along with the other players, the staff? Formations and tactics always suit them? Come on now... 

• Unfinished business to do at Charlton, cmon home Hazza!
  • Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

The only reason for a player going out of form is physical degradation? What if they're 25? Good players don't ever go out form? Good players always play well at every club they play for? It always works out? They don't also have things happen outside of football that affect their game?  Partnerships on the field? They get along with the other players, the staff? Formations and tactics always suit them? Come on now... 

Gunter had been out of favour and form at Reading and aside from a couple of games has been out of form for his entire Charlton career. You don't lose form for a whole two and a bit years unless it's something more permanent 
  • I have no doubt whatsoever, if we can pull this one off, it will prove to be the coup of the season in this league. Quality, quality player.
  • The difference between players like Gunter (and maybe Arter) and Di Canio is that the former two have spent their careers haring about making tackles and the latter had spent his career wafting volleys into the top corner 
  • Leuth said:
    The difference between players like Gunter (and maybe Arter) and Di Canio is that the former two have spent their careers haring about making tackles and the latter had spent his career wafting volleys into the top corner 
    Also the better technical players can adapt to declining stats such as pace, stamina etc.... although much easier to disguise this as a centre back or centre forward as opposed to a central midfielder/ winger.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!