Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Pratley was 31 when he first signed IIRC and once he got up to speed he never had problems with his fitness or condition (regardless of what other limitations he may have had.)

Arter might not be fit enough to go straight into the team (unless Clare's still out injured which case our hand is forced) but I don't think we can presume his legs have gone at 31.
  • paulfox said:
    If I were the club I’d probably take him on loan, see how he does, if he he’s ok make it a permanent after that.👍
    Good idea, then reevaluate depending on our own situation. 
  • Hopefully this means that we can find a way to move on from Watson to provide more roster flexibility whether that means convincing him to retire and keeping him on the staff in some capacity since he has supposedly been a positive influence on the younger squad members or even a loan where we absorb most of his salary
  • thenewbie said:
    Pratley was 31 when he first signed IIRC and once he got up to speed he never had problems with his fitness or condition (regardless of what other limitations he may have had.)

Arter might not be fit enough to go straight into the team (unless Clare's still out injured which case our hand is forced) but I don't think we can presume his legs have gone at 31.
    Think DP was 33 when we signed him.
  • thenewbie said:
    Pratley was 31 when he first signed IIRC and once he got up to speed he never had problems with his fitness or condition (regardless of what other limitations he may have had.)

He is still getting in the Rep of Ireland squad so don't think his legs have gone but simply it hasn't worked out for him at Forest.
  • thenewbie said:

Pratley was older than 31 when we signed him, 33/34
  • DOUCHER said:
    cafc4life said:
    Ive heard it’s a season long loan, with option of a permanent deal. Naturally, all dependent on the division we are in. Dont shoot the messenger though 
    Whilst I’m obviously inviting ridicule from the cynical, I can confirm it is definitely a loan 
    Do you think that there is any chance of making it permanent at any stage?
  • DOUCHER said:
    cafc4life said:
    Ive heard it’s a season long loan, with option of a permanent deal. Naturally, all dependent on the division we are in. Dont shoot the messenger though 
    Whilst I’m obviously inviting ridicule from the cynical, I can confirm it is definitely a loan 
    Do you think that there is any chance of making it permanent at any stage?
    Don’t know any more than I have posted but I would guess so yes 
  • Charlton target told his lack of football at Forest is “not ideal”

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1093498692?-11197:833
  • Sponsored links:

• The proof of the pudding is always in the eating. What he does in a Charlton shirt is all that matters and what has gone before is mostly irrelevant. Ask Forest fans what they think of Lyle Taylor. We know he can be much much better than he has been there but for whatever reason it’s not really happening for him at Forest. What do Bournemouth fans think of Simon Francis? What do Leicester fans think of Yann? Etc etc. 

For what it’s worth, my gut tells me Arter might be in a steep downward trajectory, but I’ve not seen him
    play for a good while and it is just gut feeling. His record would suggest he should be plenty good enough fir League 1. 31 is not that old these days either, and every good team needs a sprinkle of players over 28 in it for experience and leadership. 

On paper Arter > Dobson, Gilbey > Clare, Lee > Morgan. Theoretically the midfield could look a lot different and a lot better in a few weeks time. 

WIOTOS and WHDIACS (what he does in a Charlton Shirt). 
  • thenewbie said:

That’s what forest fans have been saying, injury prone and seems to have lost a yard of pace. 

I have no idea how true that is, but it doesn’t make for good reading.
  • Clarky said:
    thenewbie said:

He is still getting in the Rep of Ireland squad so don't think his legs have gone but simply it hasn't worked out for him at Forest.
    Have you seen how poor Ireland are at the moment?
  • edited August 2021
    Arter is a quality signing if true. If it means Dobson doesn’t play then i’m all for it, who to be fair is better than Clare but has to be the most average league one footballer i’ve ever seen.   
    Ridiculous… it was Dobson going off last week that cost us the game .. he was MOM 
    It was the change of formation not the change or personnel. If we’d replaced Dobson with another holding midfielder instead of a forward we might well have got a point, but it wasn’t specifically Dobson’s absence that was the problem.

I don’t think Dobson has been that bad overall though. 
  • edited August 2021
    Arter is a quality signing if true. If it means Dobson doesn’t play then i’m all for it, who to be fair is better than Clare but has to be the most average league one footballer i’ve ever seen.   
    Ridiculous… it was Dobson going off last week that cost us the game .. he was MOM 
    Not the fact that were absolutely shit throughout no?
  • Add me to the cautious crowd on this one. His game is all about dynamism and he hasn’t played much lately. Has he lost the half step in his game that made him stand out? Hope I’m wrong and he has a stormer here.
  • Clarky said:
    thenewbie said:

When did he last play for the Rep of Ireland?
  • edited August 2021
    Clarky said:
    thenewbie said:

When did he last play for the Rep of Ireland?
    Off the bench against Andorra in June. 87th minute sub.

Prior to that, he started in a 1-0 Nations League defeat to Finland in September 2020.

Prior to that, he came off the bench in Euro 2020 qualifier at Gibraltar in March 2019. He got 20 minutes.
  • Am I right in thinking we have a game on the last day of the transfer window? Not ideal if so!
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    Really don’t get some of our fans issue with Dobson, okay, he isn’t Cullen, but he has broke up play well, reads the game pretty well, and keeps the ball ticking over, he gets stuck in and puts his body on the line. For a defensive midfielder, he has done an ok job. For me he has been our best midfielder this season.

Has a post with 40 likes ever aged so badly so quickly? 
  • Leuth said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Really don’t get some of our fans issue with Dobson, okay, he isn’t Cullen, but he has broke up play well, reads the game pretty well, and keeps the ball ticking over, he gets stuck in and puts his body on the line. For a defensive midfielder, he has done an ok job. For me he has been our best midfielder this season.

I think my nan would look alright in midfield against this mob.
  • Dobson best midfielder this season do me a fucking favour.

Let hope Albie goes on loan now we got Lee
    LOL

• Leuth said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

I think my nan would look alright in midfield against this mob.
    Oi 😊😂❤️
  • Sounds like an educated guess on Cawley's part -

Signing 31 years olds ain't the "Brentford way," Thomas.
  • Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Re: Arter's age, Gallen said that we would look to bring in a few experienced players as well. It's not just going to be all young'uns. 

Also, I would be surprised if his legs are gone at 31 years old. 
    Gunter was only 31 when he came in, and is only 5 months older than Arter, and it can be argued that he's declined significantly from his peak
    I don't think Gunter's legs have gone. He's just been shit. 

And will Arter be shit because Gunter has been?
    What other explanation for a player of Gunter's pedigree being substandard can there be other than physical degradation? 
    You can't be serious @leuth

You're intelligent enough to come up with some other reasons without me helping!
    It has to come down to him protecting his body as he can't do the things he used to do unrestrained. There might be comorbid mental issues and he has been played out of position at times, but...are you suggesting he isn't trying? Players who don't try get sussed by managers instantly, dropped, and don't play again
    The only reason for a player going out of form is physical degradation? What if they're 25? Good players don't ever go out form? Good players always play well at every club they play for? It always works out? They don't also have things happen outside of football that affect their game?  Partnerships on the field? They get along with the other players, the staff? Formations and tactics always suit them? Come on now... 

Gunter had been out of favour and form at Reading and aside from a couple of games has been out of form for his entire Charlton career. You don't lose form for a whole two and a bit years unless it's something more permanent 
    What were you saying @Leuth ... ;)
    I was bound to say SOMETHING immediately regrettable in my wild spree 
    I'll be honest, I never expected him to find form again either!
  • Leuth said:
    cafc4life said:
    Yes yes, you're all in the same WhatsApp group

WhatsApp doc
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!