Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• He’s either injured in which case we wouldn’t be signing him or he’s had a pre season but just not much game time. I think it’s safe to assume that even Charlton don’t sign players that are injured. 
    That's a very brave assumption!

I give you a recent one the one that comes to mind. Rhys Williams who as I recall hadn't played for months. And then proceeded to play wonder around for us in a couple of games where we got tonked.
  • edited August 2021
    With Arter basically done bar the announcement video , Left Back and right footed CB next? And then see last minute if anything budges on Dempsey/Lowery and a striker?
  • He’s either injured in which case we wouldn’t be signing him or he’s had a pre season but just not much game time. I think it’s safe to assume that even Charlton don’t sign players that are injured. 
    That's a very brave assumption!

I give you a recent one the one that comes to mind. Rhys Williams who as I recall hadn't played for months. And then proceeded to play wonder around for us in a couple of games where we got tonked.
    Sometimes I wake up sweating after dreams of Roger Johnson's second spell 
  • We have a right footed CB knocking around in the ressies. Called Gary Hobson or something 
  • Redrobo said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    With Arter basically done bar the announcement video , Left Back and right footed CB next? And then see last minute if anything budges on Dempsey/Lowery and a striker?
    Really do not think we need a right footed CB. The kids the real deal IMO.
    This is what I was wondering, how happy people would be with Elewere being the 4th CB if it meant budget could be used elsewhere. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Redrobo said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    This is what I was wondering, how happy people would be with Elewere being the 4th CB if it meant budget could be used elsewhere. 
    Yes but its Pearce as the 3rd choice CB that worries me. 
  • Is Pearce 3rd?
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Redrobo said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Wouldn't be overly comfortable if we lost Famewo for a extended period and had to go with JP 
  • Sponsored links:

• There is no 3rd and 4th choice. MK Dons showed that Deji is the backup for Inniss, and Pearce I'd assume is the backup for Famewo.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    A striker is an absolute must. I still don’t believe we have enough goals for the autos if that’s what we are aiming for. 

I would like to think we will get:

1) Left back (urgent) 
    2) Striker (if Stockley is injured we are fucked)
    3) right sided centre back (Inniss made of glass)
  • LouisMend said:
    "I suppose, at the end of the day when somebody has signed a piece of paper and is announced as our player, then they’re announced as our player."

It's OK Nigel, we know what you're trying to say 😂
    From my forest mate:

’mate he’s been playing fortnite for most of the last 18 months, was laboured even before that, better suited to antiques roadshow than football these days. Even in our bomb squad, we’d honestly pay 100k for somebody to take him away and get him spayed’

Doesn’t seem like he’s especially popular up there! 

Good pedigree historically but have to say I’d rather we were getting a younger hungry player than another on their way outer… but we are desperate. 
  • Sounds like an educated guess on Cawley's part -

Signing 31 years olds ain't the "Brentford way," Thomas.
    Just as well Thomas has repeatedly said we're not copying  Brentford then.

Did not know that. Can you provide those repeated quotes in a link here? Would like to read them.
    Can you provide a quote that says he is?  You have said it more than once.  Other than all clubs want to buy players cheap and sell them at a profit..... Why do you think "doing a Brentford" is the plan? 
  • edited August 2021
    If Arter has been on the way down for a while, he most definitely has something to prove and also as he never got his chance at Charlton when younger it's now or never. I hope it's a pleasant homecoming. 
  • I even asked him the Brentford question at Bromley Addicks, and he said we weren't, that's despite there being lots to admire at Brentford 
  • edited August 2021
    Scoham said:
    Any rumours around how many we're looking to sign? A CM (seems Arter is done or very close), a striker and a left back are a must.

A back up keeper and another winger would be good to have.

Centre back is an interesting one, with the amount of game time Deji is getting I don’t expect us to sign one, but if Inniss picks up a long term injury it’s a lot of pressure on him. Is he on a pro contract?

On unrealistic signings an attacking right back would be good but that seems very unlikely to happen with Matthews and Gunter here.
    Deji presents a bit of a quandary. He’s looked very assured right now and the fact it was him used as the predetermined replacement for Innis at MK tells me they see him as the backup right centre back. It is a lot of pressure if Innis get injured though, which feels like it’s only a matter of time, and you would expect Deji will have a dip in form at some point. Famewo isn’t an experienced player to help him through matches either. 

Famewo, however, wasn’t a disaster at right centre back last season though and we do have Gunter who can play there as well. I think they’ll spend their remaining budget in other areas and run with Deji until January knowing we do have options if he starts to struggle. If he’s not coping and Innis isn’t reliable enough fitness wise we’ll look to bring someone in in January. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Not sure the Henderson signing is gonna happen - was pants on trial apparently 
    Not fussed in the slightest.  I have never rated him at all
  • Sponsored links:

• Arter is done. Not been announced yet but deffo done.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Redrobo said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Surely the lack of strikers , left back and quality midfielders worries you more ?
  • Scoham said:
    Sounds like an educated guess on Cawley's part -

Signing 31 years olds ain't the "Brentford way," Thomas.
    Just as well Thomas has repeatedly said we're not copying  Brentford then.

Did not know that. Can you provide those repeated quotes in a link here? Would like to read them.
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/thomas-sandgaard-wants-charltons-academy-players-to-make-seamless-transition-to-senior-set-up-claims-charlton-tv-softening-financial-blow-of-no-fans/

In February he confirmed his instinct is to keep the academy:

Asked if Charlton could follow in the Bees’ footsteps, Sandgaard said: “My gut instinct about this is that I’d rather be smarter about how we develop our academy players than totally get rid of it.

“Now the transfer window is closed we’ve got time to look at our structure and how we maximise it.”

In December he talked about admiring Brentford but not doing everything the same way.

https://www.castrust.org/2020/12/thomas-sandgaard-meets-the-fans/

Q: You have outlined a very ambitious target to get to the Premier League. How do you plan to succeed where many Championship clubs have failed, even with parachute money?

TS: To me, it’s not about parachute money or anything like that. It’s just about being smart about it, and creating a foundation so that we have the right kinds of players, are smart about what players we buy, what players we put out on loan, what players we sell. If we start today, in a few years we might have some really great talent coming up from the academy. It’s about grooming all those parts, and improving the odds and the probability. It’s not one smart move or the flick of a switch. I’m not sure I’m going to do everything the same way, but what they’ve done over at Brentford, with very little money, is very impressive.

Last season Brentford signed Winston Reid on loan, he was 32 at the time - so there are even occasions when Brentford don't do things the "Brentford way".

Game, set and match right there!
  • LouisMend said:
    "I suppose, at the end of the day when somebody has signed a piece of paper and is announced as our player, then they’re announced as our player."

It's OK Nigel, we know what you're trying to say 😂
    From my forest mate:

’mate he’s been playing fortnite for most of the last 18 months, was laboured even before that, better suited to antiques roadshow than football these days. Even in our bomb squad, we’d honestly pay 100k for somebody to take him away and get him spayed’

Doesn’t seem like he’s especially popular up there! 

Good pedigree historically but have to say I’d rather we were getting a younger hungry player than another on their way outer… but we are desperate. 
    Arter only signed for Forest 11 months ago, and at the start he played fairly regularly.

He also got an international cap for Ireland in June, although it was only a few minutes in a friendly.
  • Leuth said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Really don’t get some of our fans issue with Dobson, okay, he isn’t Cullen, but he has broke up play well, reads the game pretty well, and keeps the ball ticking over, he gets stuck in and puts his body on the line. For a defensive midfielder, he has done an ok job. For me he has been our best midfielder this season.

Has a post with 40 likes ever aged so badly so quickly? 
    Let’s not get carried away. It’s only Crewe. Watson had a good game, and has looked good in the last 2 games. Watson is a bit more forward thinking than Dobson, so it’s a toss up between the 2 of them..

Dobson will play a big part this season.. enjoy your week glued to Charlton Life!
  • Scoham said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/thomas-sandgaard-wants-charltons-academy-players-to-make-seamless-transition-to-senior-set-up-claims-charlton-tv-softening-financial-blow-of-no-fans/

In February he confirmed his instinct is to keep the academy:

Asked if Charlton could follow in the Bees’ footsteps, Sandgaard said: “My gut instinct about this is that I’d rather be smarter about how we develop our academy players than totally get rid of it.

“Now the transfer window is closed we’ve got time to look at our structure and how we maximise it.”

In December he talked about admiring Brentford but not doing everything the same way.

https://www.castrust.org/2020/12/thomas-sandgaard-meets-the-fans/

Q: You have outlined a very ambitious target to get to the Premier League. How do you plan to succeed where many Championship clubs have failed, even with parachute money?

TS: To me, it’s not about parachute money or anything like that. It’s just about being smart about it, and creating a foundation so that we have the right kinds of players, are smart about what players we buy, what players we put out on loan, what players we sell. If we start today, in a few years we might have some really great talent coming up from the academy. It’s about grooming all those parts, and improving the odds and the probability. It’s not one smart move or the flick of a switch. I’m not sure I’m going to do everything the same way, but what they’ve done over at Brentford, with very little money, is very impressive.

Last season Brentford signed Winston Reid on loan, he was 32 at the time - so there are even occasions when Brentford don't do things the "Brentford way".

Okay, you convinced me! B)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!