Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Cawley clearly knows more than he is allowed to say

So a Left sided Defender... Not a Left-Back? ;)
    Perhaps the left sided defender they have in mind is versatile enough to provide cover for left back…? 
    I really hope not, because you won’t find a quick attacking left back who can also play CB at this level.
  • Options
    Expect some loan arrivals from QPR and west Ham today -   Charlie Kelman ( previously mentioned ) and Emanuel Longelo.  
    Striker and left back.
  • Options
    Expect some loan arrivals from QPR and west Ham today -   Charlie Kelman ( previously mentioned ) and Emanuel Longelo.  
    Think Longelo looks like a decent prospect and would be an improvement on Gunter going forward but would be very underwhelmed with Kelman as the Aneke replacement
  • Options
    Kelman is the striker who scored from his own half on his debut as a 17 year old. https://youtu.be/RSNGTSMcCTU
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Purrington isn't good enough. 
    He’s better than bloody Gunter!
    Not hard though 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Kelman is the striker who scored from his own half on his debut as a 17 year old. https://youtu.be/RSNGTSMcCTU
    Dear god... that Goalkeeper was even worse than the Scottish bloke at the Euros
  • Options
    I know a lot of people want/expect an Aneke replacement which I understand.
    But, realistically how many other clubs were fortunate to have a 15 goal striker on their bench most of the season? - Don't think you'll find too many.
    I don't think the club will replace him because I don't think it'll be possible. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Perhaps the left sided defender they have in mind is versatile enough to provide cover for left back…? 
    I really hope not, because you won’t find a quick attacking left back who can also play CB at this level.
    Agreed, we've already got Famewo and Pearce, so the left side of central defence is very well covered. What we need is a more attacking alternative to Purrington at LB, someone who's more a winger than a centre back
  • Options
    Could it be a direct like for like replacement for Aneke isnt what we are looking for as we are set up differently now? 

If people mean the goals then thats fine but any striker coming isnt 100% guaranteed to bang the goals in. 

Whoever comes in are in because they are what the club wanted/needed. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Is this the same Ben Purrington who only missed one match and played 90 minutes pretty much all the other games last time we got promoted from league one? 
    Only missed one match?? He played 18 games for us that season. 

• Options
    Scoham said:

Do I even uunderstand football?  I Thought a left back was a left sided defender?!. And I  was trying to get some cheap LOLs.  I’m Confused and so I’m going to bed now. see you tomorrow for the carnage of the last few hours. 
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    I know a lot of people want/expect an Aneke replacement which I understand.
    But, realistically how many other clubs were fortunate to have a 15 goal striker on their bench most of the season? - Don't think you'll find too many.
    I don't think the club will replace him because I don't think it'll be possible. 
    This is certainly my view. In as much as no way would you find a direct replacement for him. 

But I guess you could find the goals elsewhere on the pitch with other signings. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Is this the same Ben Purrington who only missed one match and played 90 minutes pretty much every other game last time we got promoted from league one? 
    Only got signed January 2019 though... But that was when we went on the stonking run
    Purrington was a game changer. After losing Grant we had to become better defensively to go up, Purrington ensured we were able to do that. 
    You can't honestly call Purrington a game changer 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Is this the same Ben Purrington who only missed one match and played 90 minutes pretty much all the other games last time we got promoted from league one? 
    Only missed one match?? He played 18 games for us that season. 

We only signed him in January 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    His middle names include Robert Lee....... 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    LB is the major one for me. Please not Purrington as our number one option, really don't rate him..

So when Purrington was steady Eddie during the League 1 campaign which resulted in Promotion and scored the equaliser at Wembley you didn't rate him ?
    Or do you mean in the Championship where nearly every member of this squad would struggle ? 

Ben Purrington is a decent League 1 LB,
    (but slowish) he isn't a Rhoys Wiggins.
    (When Rhoys was fit to play)

We do need a Left footed LB and it would be great if this guy was faster and yet could not only overlap but defend as well.

Catch 22 is why would this player want to come to League 1 unless he is a young Championship or Premiership loan. Then like Maatsen at 18 make some schoolboy errors.

All about opinions, but all fans want players that will strengthen the team.  By midnight tonight we may have a better idea when the dust has settled and the ink has dried.
    Probably should put this on another thread, but being promoted in a team doesn't make him a top league 1 defender in my eyes...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally, I can't get excited over teenage loanees from the Championship. I'll support them loudly and proudly but just my view from an armchair at the moment.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I tend to lean on the side of optimism for new signings but this guy hasn't scored a goal all of last season despite 14 appearances for QPR and Southend. Looking at those clips I can see why, if the 'best bits' are made of multiple efforts spooning a shot well wide then what the hell are we in for him for? He seems to be a 'get in behind' which we have in Washington and Lee - why on earth would we give him a shot over someone like Mason Burstow? Seems like a waste of a position for me. The only redeeming quality is he's under age of registration so could be some wildcard or cup depth - I wouldn't want him anywhere near the starting line-up. Very dissappointing if it comes off.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Is this the same Ben Purrington who only missed one match and played 90 minutes pretty much every other game last time we got promoted from league one? 
    Only got signed January 2019 though... But that was when we went on the stonking run
    Purrington was a game changer. After losing Grant we had to become better defensively to go up, Purrington ensured we were able to do that. 
    You can't honestly call Purrington a game changer 
    He changed the game at Wembley. His goal to game ratio for us is probably better than most full backs we’ve had in the last few years. I appreciate that 4 or 5 goals on 2.5 seasons isn’t great but what full backs have we had that have bettered that. Maatsen only scored one abs that’s when we played him up top
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I did a post on Purrington a while back and it got about 30 likes so must count for something!  

The short version is Purrington is good in a good (18/19) team and bad in a bad team (19/20 during injury crisis).  

So shall we do rumours now and park this one 👍🏻 
  • Options
    Ben Purrington signs (ed. Has now - 3 year deal) - Page 12 — Charlton Life

Probably the best place for a Purrington chat, but will probably not be as fun talking about a topic in it's relevant home.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    We can do better than Purrington. I don't think that's a big criticism of the bloke, he is just very basic.

We've also heard from Crewe fans that Kirk struggled with a defensive LB behind him, and Ben is absolutely that. 

One game I watched on valley pass last season Ben Purrs, spent more time in the oppositions box in the 2nd half than Washington ! The game he had 3 half chances. A total myth that he doesn't get forward. Obviously every sides full backs will pass side ways and back until the angle opens up. Not having pace will show him up on occasions but all League 1 Full backs have weaknesses. 

Now less than 12 hours to go for these tasty loan signings. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    They’re shouldn’t be any games that happen on the evening of transfer deadline day. Badly thought out by the EFL.
    Papa John’s Trophy?  Likely to be a bigger crowd at the open training session, seriously doubt this disrupts any transfer activity.
    Nobody cares about this game except the young players likely to be involved. I won’t even be following the score.
    I suppose I care enough to buy the stream, mainly because I am interested in the look of and the development of those young players.
    It is a stupid competition though.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    "He changed the game at Wembley"

Ah, the old Johnny Williams Defense. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    LB is the major one for me. Please not Purrington as our number one option, really don't rate him..

So when Purrington was steady Eddie during the League 1 campaign which resulted in Promotion and scored the equaliser at Wembley you didn't rate him ?
    Or do you mean in the Championship where nearly every member of this squad would struggle ? 

Ben Purrington is a decent League 1 LB,
    (but slowish) he isn't a Rhoys Wiggins.
    (When Rhoys was fit to play)

We do need a Left footed LB and it would be great if this guy was faster and yet could not only overlap but defend as well.

Catch 22 is why would this player want to come to League 1 unless he is a young Championship or Premiership loan. Then like Maatsen at 18 make some schoolboy errors.

All about opinions, but all fans want players that will strengthen the team.  By midnight tonight we may have a better idea when the dust has settled and the ink has dried.
    Probably should put this on another thread, but being promoted in a team doesn't make him a top league 1 defender in my eyes...
    Most teams would be more than happy as Purrington as their main left back, for me he is definitely a solid left back. Never lets the side down, granted he isn't pacey or as good going forward. Still we do need another option rather than Gunter, I wouldn't be thrilled to be left with Purrington leading the line, but equally i wouldn't be worried. 

We need to remember where we are at, league one. Its not going to be easy to get a Wiggins type LB or just another gamble on a young player on loan. 

LB, Striker, CB , CM  - That would be my priorities today, i think reasonably we should expect a few signings but who knows

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!