Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Uboat said:
    Addickted said:
    Starting to think this Stockley bid is a non starter as the vague information I initially received has turned into a flow within two hours of requesting some more digging.

Anyway, current dubious update is an seven figure bid plus from a Northern Championship side - perhaps Preston want him back?

I’ve heard it’s £9,000,000. 
    Surely only Ipswich and Wrexham are the UK sides able to make a bid that size. 
    Mmmmm, difficult choice there IF it were true, which I don't believe it is, imagine the flak Thomas would get,...mind you £9,000,000... ;)
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Purrington isn't good enough. 
    Is this the same Ben Purrington who only missed one match and played 90 minutes pretty much every other game last time we got promoted from league one? 
    Only got signed January 2019 though... But that was when we went on the stonking run
    Purrington was a game changer. After losing Grant we had to become better defensively to go up, Purrington ensured we were able to do that. 
    You can't honestly call Purrington a game changer 
    Someone missed Wembley...
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Purrington isn't the worst but he's also nowhere near as solid as is claimed. Evidence for the prosecution: Blackpool away when he got sent off and Maatsen dealt with Hamilton effortlessly, and worse still the Gillingham defeat when he basically let them shoot for their winner and Bowyer said a certain player would never play for him again (a typically embattled dick move on his part admittedly)
    I always presumed that was Oshilaja - Neither played for Bowyer again (Although it was only two games)

But Purrington did come back into the team, Oshilaja on the other hand never played again
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Could it be that Arter is negotiating his release from Forest so he can sign for us on a free? Just a guess, not heard anything.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Could it be that Arter is negotiating his release from Forest so he can sign for us on a free? Just a guess, not heard anything.
    If thats the case, and gets released before 11pm, its worth noting that he wont have to sign today
  • Options
    Hey guys, guys? Have you considered that Purrington did a goal at Wembley? Wem-ber-ley? And we went up? Thanks to the goal from Purrington? Which he scored at Wembley?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Purrington isn't the worst but he's also nowhere near as solid as is claimed. Evidence for the prosecution: Blackpool away when he got sent off and Maatsen dealt with Hamilton effortlessly, and worse still the Gillingham defeat when he basically let them shoot for their winner and Bowyer said a certain player would never play for him again (a typically embattled dick move on his part admittedly)
    He is a decent league 1 defender, no one is claiming he is Maldini.  The issue isn't we haven't had Roberto Carlos at left back the issue is we haven't had a left back at all.

Purrington would improve us, an improvement on Purrington would improve us more.

If we don't get one it's a major issue if Purrington breaks down again.  If he doesn't it's a minor issue that can be addressed in January.

Unfortunately we can't retrospectively sign one to play in the 5 games we have already played. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Hey guys, guys? Have you considered that Purrington did a goal at Wembley? Wem-ber-ley? And we went up? Thanks to the goal from Purrington? Which he scored at Wembley?
    Move on ;)
  • Options
    Not sure if it has to be done and dusted for Ronnie Schwartz today but I hope a solution to the impasse can happen and RS can find a team maybe back home and we can replace with a striker incoming before the window shuts.

What ever the issue is ? Good management is to find solutions. If we take a financial hit, then that is just football and lessons learnt, but no transfer is guaranteed and that's the rub.

You get a Yann or a Ronnie, and TBF to Schwartz bad luck in timing has dogged the move.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Is this the same Ben Purrington who only missed one match and played 90 minutes pretty much every other game last time we got promoted from league one? 
    Only got signed January 2019 though... But that was when we went on the stonking run
    Purrington was a game changer. After losing Grant we had to become better defensively to go up, Purrington ensured we were able to do that. 
    He added the balance that was missing in Defence after Lewis Page got injured in September.

Same thing that Im sure he'll do again when he returns or when a new Left-Back starts for this current squad
    Any natural left footed left back would add balance in that team, we don't have anyone else. 
    But thats a game changer isnt it? - He changed games for us because he came in and did the job that had been missing

I agree any number of Left-Backs could have been signed to do the same thing, but they could have also failed badly
    Exactly. We had no balance in that defence and after losing Grant, we were never going to score enough goals to go up (without improving at the back). Williams came in and did well, but didn't provide any goals or assists. Parker came in and did a job, but didn't score a single goal. After losing Grant I was genuinely fearful we weren't going to make the play offs. We could only do it by becoming a lot more solid. The return of Cullen from injury obvious played a massive part but we didn't have a left back so I stand by my original comment, Purrington was a game changing signing. 

However, what we needed then and what we need know are two different things. I don't actually disagree with J Block's original comment, he is better than Gunter but signing a LB now is as important as signing Purrington in January 2019. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    RedRobin said:
    How often have we had these high-profile signings who in the end don't do very much?  I hope this is isn't going to be another Jeffers / Maddison / Haisselbank scenario.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
  • Options
    Purrington's biggest weakness is against pace. There isn't bags of that at this level. Otherwise he is more than decent.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Leuth said:
    Move on ;)
    We'd all like to move on...if only people wouldn't keep talking about him..what shall we move on to.. B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    "He changed the game at Wembley"

Ah, the old Johnny Williams Defense. 
    Unlike Williams, he scored. 😉
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Someone missed Wembley...
    One swallow doesn't make a summer 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Sorry to go off on a transfer related tangent. 
    Interested to see how he does. Sounds like an exciting player.
    Yeah needs to be playing, had some horrible luck with injuries
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    12:09 pm and still no signings. 
    I didn't want to start pissing the bed this early but I am going to get myself a head start on the pending meltdown due around 2 pm if we still haven't

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I really don't think this thread is the place for pulling people up on things being repeated ! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    No problem BexleyBoy ;)
  • Options
    I think a Right midfielder and striker is priority over a left back first. 
    Is that you Steve....?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Not interested in outgoings, we need some the other way ffs, the next 11 hours are.... etc etc etc B)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!