Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Palace Manager

Comments

• Let’s be honest, none of us here actually dislike Woy, he’s one of the last old school gentlemen left in the game.
    However, I am somewhat surprised that he’s taking on this task…….a real case of different strokes for different folks as most people his age are looking for a quieter life.
    If he had linked up with anyone other than The Glaziers I would be wishing him well but obviously that ain’t gonna happen.🧐
  • Let’s be honest, none of us here actually dislike Woy, he’s one of the last old school gentlemen left in the game.
    However, I am somewhat surprised that he’s taking on this task…….a real case of different strokes for different folks as most people his age are looking for a quieter life.
    If he had linked up with anyone other than The Glaziers I would be wishing him well but obviously that ain’t gonna happen.🧐
    Hope @Garrymanilow doesn't see your post:-)
  • Can't think of any other examples of a manager returning to replace his successor in the Premier League?
  • Although (I think in Division 1) Palace have form given they used to basically let Coppell and Alan Smith take turns.
  • Bit of a strange appointment... I'm glad they haven't but if they were going to get rid of Viera, I have no clue why they didn't go for Big Sam to steady the ship
  • Sponsored links:

• Even if they went down they'll still be a league above our shit show and a hell of a lot richer.
  • Wasn't his last job given to him under similar circumstances?

He was parachuted in to save Watford from relegation and was completely and utterly useless.  He didn't appear to give much of a toss about saving them and it showed.

Now he may be more motivated to save the stripey heron worriers, but given the Watford debacle there must be serious questions over his ability to be an effective manager in any case.

I am prepared for the scrawpy bastards to miss out on relegation due to the other teams shooting themselves in the foot as it were, but I cling to the hope that appointing Woy to keep them up will be about as effective as it was the last time he tried it...
  • In fairness, he was always likely to be him because he knows the club, the squad and the surroundings, and they need someone to come in and hit the ground running. Decent managers are not available at this moment in time but numerous ones will be available in the summer - the question is will they still be in the top flight
  • edited March 2023
    Chizz said:
    Here's the form guide, going back over each team's last TEN games (i.e. very nearly a quarter of a season) 

14. Southampton 11 pts 
    15. Everton 11pts 
    16. West Ham 10pts 
    17. Leeds 9pts 
    18. AFC Bournemouth 8pts  
    19. Leicester 8 pts  
    20. Crystal Palace 5pts  LLLLDDDLDD 

They're the only side in the whole Premier League not to have won at least two of their last ten games.  They've won none. 

In those ten games, they've scored just five goals: one this month in the thrashing at Arsenal; one each against Brentford, Brighton and ten-man Man United in February; and one each against United and Southampton in January.  

Anyone suggesting they'll stay up easily may well be right.  But to do so will take an almost unimaginable turnaround in their form.  The question is, can a man who was born while Charlton were FA Cup holders instill enough confidence and generate sufficient commitment from a group of lazy millionaires, some of whom are young enough to be his great-grandchildren? 

Sure. But look at that mini table of dreadful form and Palace have 5 of them in their next 6 games and the mighty 13th placed Wolves as the 6th team. 

Now, if after those 6 games they are in the relegation spaces having barely picked up a point they are screwed... but they have already beaten West Ham, Leeds, Wolves and Southampton this season and drawn with Leicester so picking up points against these teams has not been their problem.
  • Chizz said:

They're currently the worst team in the Premier League. I hope that stays the same for the rest of this season. 
    And I hope it's followed by a season of them being the worst in the Championship, then L1 in 2024-5, all the way down to getting regularly stuffed by Welling and Dulwich Hamlet. 

Well I can dream can't I?

• Even if they went down they'll still be a league above our shit show and a hell of a lot richer.
    47 seasons since they’ve been in this shithouse league ffs
    next season will be our 10th in 15 in the third tier of English football 
  • edited March 2023
    Football fan perspectives are always funny. I’m guilty of it myself.

I’m fully aware that Palace are coming off a run of very tough fixtures and in theory it’ll be easier to pick up points in upcoming games against worse opposition. Yet I’m convincing myself they’ve got into such a bad run of form that they’re going to struggle against teams who are fighting for their own survival.

In contrast, having just watched Charlton go through a run of losses against better teams in our own league, I was always confident we could go and pick up points against Morecambe and Cambridge, with others like Burton and Morecambe pt 2 to come also that would steer us to a comfortable mid table finish.

There are others on this forum that I’ve seen be the complete opposite - we were definitely in a relegation scrap but there’s no way Palace are getting in trouble themselves.
  • Football fan perspectives are always funny. I’m guilty of it myself.

I’m fully aware that Palace are coming off a run of very tough fixtures and in theory it’ll be easier to pick up points in upcoming games against worse opposition. Yet I’m convincing myself they’ve got into such a bad run of form that they’re going to struggle against teams who are fighting for their own survival.

In contrast, having just watched Charlton go through a run of losses against better teams in our own league, I was always confident we could go and pick up points against Morecambe and Cambridge, with others like Burton and Morecambe pt 2 to come also that would steer us to a comfortable mid table finish.

There are others on this forum that I’ve seen be the complete opposite - we were definitely in a relegation scrap but there’s no way Palace are getting in trouble themselves.
    The bad run palace are on can't be compared to ours. We were never bottom of the form table and were never only a few points above the relegation places.

palace are on a very bad run and confidence levels must be low. They are in free fall
    and that's very difficult to turn around.

I think they will pick up
    points and stay up because it's what they do. 
  • The superb appointment of Woy is definately the way to go.

Fingers crossed.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2023
    For us to be sure, we would need to see the fixtures for all the teams at the bottom. If a side has Arsenal, Man City and Man Utd, they are not going to pick up any points from those for instance. Palace have got those teams out of the way. What could do for them is a lack of confidence from the poor run they have had. I hope they go down but suspect they will stay up.
  • Football fan perspectives are always funny. I’m guilty of it myself.

The difference is that the teams we beat like Morecambe and Cambridge are much smaller than us, so ones we ought to win, whereas Palace are playing teams of a similar size to themselves now.

They will pick up more points now they're playing the teams around them, but their opponents won't fear them.
  • Palace issues in recent games(last 10) have been conceding the occasional goal vs high quality opposition whilst not scoring.
    As it's been pointed out here they have a run of games against other relegation candidates.
    I think they have the quality in the squad to win and draw enough to keep their heads above water.
    However Roys' qualities as a manager won't help , may even hinder as he is defence minded, not really known for creativity.
    I think the sacking of Vieira and replacement with Roy has only increased their chances of relegation, but the odds still favour them staying up.
    I can't consider them as local rivals at all , they are so so wealthy and have such talent in their squad that we are literally "not in their league".
    In 10-20 years the wheel may turn but its going to be a long haul.And it will have to take many unexpected /unpredictable twists.
  • Just had another look at their fixtures, they will stay up easily I'm afraid
  • Chizz said:
    Here's the form guide, going back over each team's last TEN games (i.e. very nearly a quarter of a season) 

14. Southampton 11 pts 
    15. Everton 11pts 
    16. West Ham 10pts 
    17. Leeds 9pts 
    18. AFC Bournemouth 8pts  
    19. Leicester 8 pts  
    20. Crystal Palace 5pts  LLLLDDDLDD 

They're the only side in the whole Premier League not to have won at least two of their last ten games.  They've won none. 

In those ten games, they've scored just five goals: one this month in the thrashing at Arsenal; one each against Brentford, Brighton and ten-man Man United in February; and one each against United and Southampton in January.  

Anyone suggesting they'll stay up easily may well be right.  But to do so will take an almost unimaginable turnaround in their form.  The question is, can a man who was born while Charlton were FA Cup holders instill enough confidence and generate sufficient commitment from a group of lazy millionaires, some of whom are young enough to be his great-grandchildren? 
    As much as I'd like to see their great run of form continue, I know good things come to an end and they will do enough to have yet another year as South Londons Surreys number one.
    They are going to go on a run of form  that will see them finish on 50 odd points and  just miss out on Europe for next term. All will be well again in Selhurstland. They'll  get a new coach in for next season with a rake of new players and repeat the previous seasons successes. And I really do see it as an achievement for a club the size of Palace to do this annually, more or less. We were similar for a few years before the wheels fell off.
    I would like to see Palace over reach themselves and have a disaster, hopefully this will happen just when they demolish their old stand. It would give me a real warm feeling seeing them play on a 3 sided muddy puddle whilst losing a relegation battle to the third tier. This certainly will not happen. Getting Hodgson back does seem a little strange but a safe one I think. I would have thought getting rid of your manager at this stage of the season you would have already tapped up an suitable replacement, may be they have and he is elsewhere until the summer. I'd like to see Moyes there, I cant see him at the 'ammers next season, he can take boring to a whole new level.
    They have become like the Coventry of old, always a fixture of the top tier but never a contender for anything at either end, while we have become the new Oldham Athletic, a once member of the footballing top tier who lurch from one miserable season to the next. I'd like to think Palace will become the the Coventry of 5 years ago while we become another Brighton. 
    The reality is we are playing West Wycombe this week and they are having a week off mostly because they have Steve Parish, a very good businessman and we have a want to be Metallicaman.

• For us to be sure, we would need to see the fixtures for all the teams at the bottom. If a side has Arsenal, Man City and Man Utd, they are not going to pick up any points from those for instance. Palace have got those teams out of the way. What could do for them is a lack of confidence from the poor run they have had. I hope they go down but suspect they will stay up.
    I agree with this but I remember pardew going on about how we had the big teams out of the way. It didn't end well for us that year.
  • edited March 2023
    Can't think of any other examples of a manager returning to replace his successor in the Premier League?
    David Moyes at West Ham
    Steve Coppell at Palace (they've got history!)
  • "A safe pair of slippers", as someone commented on the BBC.
    Now very intrigued by the idea of an unsafe pair of slippers. Poor arch support? Full of spiders?
    Highly flammable. Spill one drop of your cocoa on them and up they go.
  • Can't think of any other examples of a manager returning to replace his successor in the Premier League?
    David Moyes at West Ham
    Steve Coppell at Palace (they've got history!)
    Ah yeah forgot Moyes!