Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• That statement from Dobson, is perfunctory at best
  • I just thought the "thank you" was a tad 1 dimensional that could've been written by anyone about any club, as long as they filled in the blanks. His Wrexham statement following a couple of minutes after, kind of confirms that it was a bit "that'll do", and as our former brilliant Club Captain, I expected a little bit more from the bloke.

Does it bother me that much? No not really, I just thought this would be as good a place as any to say that I expected a little more.

And I'd be more than happy to buy him a few lagers and curry to follow. Think the bloke was immense for us, just don't dig his shoddy tribute, that's all.
  • Croydon said:
    Really really hope we finish above Wrexham 
    Wrexham got a shock coming to them if they think league one going to be easy .. can see them bottom half 

They would probably think that an achievement... 
  • The timing of it made it feel like something he had to put out before talking about his new club on social media, considering the complete silence over the last 2 months over his destination.
  • Croydon said:
    Wrexham got a shock coming to them if they think league one going to be easy .. can see them bottom half 
    Don’t underestimate momentum. They have it and we’ve not had any for years. 
    However Charlton now have a very strong League 1 squad with a very good manager. Wrexham currently have a mediocre manager and  a below average League 1 squad
  • Seeing George with his Wrexham team mates in LA* has really hit home that it's over. Picture is the main story on BBC web site and on their way to the Levi stadium tomorrow to Santa Clara, in the heart of Silicon valley, 45 miles south of San Francisco, and just 5 miles west of San Jose to play Chelsea.

*Los Angeles not Lower Addiscombe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wrexham will be 15-16th at worst this season, playoffs at best if they can ride the momentum they’ve built. That’s not unrealistic when you look at how Stevenage, Orient and Northampton all fared last season.
  • Croydon said:
    They'll finish above us.
    I’d have to agree. 
  • Croydon said:
    They'll finish above us.
    Based on current evidence, they really shouldn't. They will probably survive quite comfortably, probably somewhere in the middle of the table, but we can and should (at the very least) be part of the play-off chasing group.

Momentum is great but if they lose it (and they could, as their supposed large budget hasn't translated into a particularly intimidating squad at this level) the wheels could come off big time.
  • thenewbie said:
    Croydon said:
    They'll finish above us.
    Based on current evidence, they really shouldn't. They will probably survive quite comfortably, probably somewhere in the middle of the table, but we can and should (at the very least) be part of the play-off chasing group.

Momentum is great but if they lose it (and they could, as their supposed large budget hasn't translated into a particularly intimidating squad at this level) the wheels could come off big time.
    We finished 16th, they comfortably got promoted.
    We'll see, I feel the gap in the bottom two divisions is not so big.
  • edited July 23
    thenewbie said:
    Croydon said:
    They'll finish above us.

Oxford went from 19th > 5th (promotion) last season, last season should have no bearing on anyone. Its only the Premier League where the majority of losses / gains will be tighter because of the stupid money thrown about.
  • we 100% have a top 6 squad now IMO - will have massively unachieved if we don't at least make the play offs.

1 or 2 more bits of quality in and that could change.
    Feel exactly the same, we’re a solid GK and CB away from really challenging imo 
  • Sponsored links:

• a real quality keeper could be the game changer for me - worth 10/15 points on their own sometimes 
  • a real quality keeper could be the game changer for me - worth 10/15 points on their own sometimes 
    Might be worth posting this on the "rumours" thread...🤔
  • thenewbie said:
    Croydon said:
    They'll finish above us.

Agreed. They are hardly pulling up trees with their signings . Plenty of talk very little action.
  • Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    Croydon said:
    They'll finish above us.

The gap between 16th and top 6 isn’t that big either if you make the right signings and changes off the pitch.

Whether we’ll do enough to be challenging for promotion we’ll see, but we should have a much better season than last year.
    anything less than top six should be seen as a failure, I'm accepting nothing less.
  • Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    Croydon said:
    They'll finish above us.

The gap between 16th and top 6 isn’t that big either if you make the right signings and changes off the pitch.

Whether we’ll do enough to be challenging for promotion we’ll see, but we should have a much better season than last year.
    anything less than top six should be seen as a failure, I'm accepting nothing less.
    It needs to be comfortable too, grabbing 6th on the last day won’t cut it (unless we win the playoffs) 
  • Not sure anybody believes me but Wrexham have been trying to sign Champ standard players and it will happen...
  • They might end the window with a good squad. Right now its crap
  • Redhenry said:
    Not sure anybody believes me but Wrexham have been trying to sign Champ standard players and it will happen...
    Underestimate Wrexham, at your peril, they have deep pockets, they won't want to fail.
    They had deep pockets in the National League, pretty much a top-end League One budget. 

I’m not convinced they can continue signing higher quality players at this level, plenty more competition for players compared to the two divisions below. 

They’ll have a competitive budget but they won’t be signing top Championship players for big fees, their owners aren’t that rich.