Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• Croydon said:
    Really really hope we finish above Wrexham 
    Wrexham got a shock coming to them if they think league one going to be easy .. can see them bottom half 
    Don’t underestimate momentum. They have it and we’ve not had any for years. 
    We have momentum, it's the wrong way and not really at any pace... but it's downhill momentum.
  • edited July 23
    Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    Wrexham got a shock coming to them if they think league one going to be easy .. can see them bottom half 
    We have momentum, it's the wrong way and not really at any pace... but it's downhill momentum.

...We're on the way up!
  • anything less than promotion is failure
    We've been relegated in to this division 6 times 
    taking 2, 3, 1, 3, 3 seasons to get out of it , this is our 5th consecutive shit house excuse of season in this division , pathetic 
    “Failure” to me implies that the strategy you’re using is failed and you rip it up to try something entirely different next time.

I’ll be disappointed if we don’t get promoted but as long as there’s positive signs - more clean sheets, a team that the fans can connect with, a platform to continue progressing then I think just missing out with the promise that next year will be the year, that would mean sticking with it.
  • Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    Croydon said:
    They'll finish above us.
    Based on current evidence, they really shouldn't. They will probably survive quite comfortably, probably somewhere in the middle of the table, but we can and should (at the very least) be part of the play-off chasing group.

Momentum is great but if they lose it (and they could, as their supposed large budget hasn't translated into a particularly intimidating squad at this level) the wheels could come off big time.
    We finished 16th, they comfortably got promoted.
    We'll see, I feel the gap in the bottom two divisions is not so big.
    The gap between 16th and top 6 isn’t that big either if you make the right signings and changes off the pitch.

Whether we’ll do enough to be challenging for promotion we’ll see, but we should have a much better season than last year.
    Fair comment actually.
    Am still very much on the dubious side though.
  • we 100% have a top 6 squad now IMO - will have massively unachieved if we don't at least make the play offs.

1 or 2 more bits of quality in and that could change.
    We have underachieved for MANY years, why should this season be any different?
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't STAND a fire? WTF does that even mean?
  • I really hope we stuff Wrexham......
  • This George Dobson thread is getting a bit weird now, he's gone and is history now, and plays for the opposition... maybe time to close and move on...🤦‍♂️
  • This George Dobson thread is getting a bit weird now, he's gone and is history now, and plays for the opposition... maybe time to close and move on...🤦‍♂️
    Yeah but don't you really hope we stuff Wrexham?
    Yeah but don't you really hope we stuff Wrexham?
    No more than anyone else mate, I hope we stuff 'em all...
    Going to be the same with May, someone posting/bumping the thread every time he scores a goal (which will be a lot).
    Going to be the same with May, someone posting/bumping the thread every time he scores a goal (which will be a lot).
    Except with Dobson it's every time he makes a slide tackle
  • Boring move on
  • edited July 25
    THEY DON'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE LET 'EM GO...🤦‍♂️
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Boring move on
    Agreed … yet here we are all still reading the thread 🤣
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 25
    This George Dobson thread is getting a bit weird now, he's gone and is history now, and plays for the opposition... maybe time to close and move on...🤦‍♂️
    We do this quite regularly with players that leave. 

Yann thread went on for about 5 years after he left. Likewise with Jackson as a manager etc. 

If you're not interested don't bother opening it?
    I would like to see more discussions about David Davis and his career changing move to Kidderminster Harriers.
    Open a thread. 

People are even discussing Sean Clare, it's hardly a pile on of current club decisions. It's just people taking an interest in how ex-players are getting on. 

Or should we close the Gomez, Lookman, Konsa threads that pop up occasionally too? 
  • Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    This George Dobson thread is getting a bit weird now, he's gone and is history now, and plays for the opposition... maybe time to close and move on...🤦‍♂️

given that the frenzy was after 3 mins - surely he didn't get asked to remove him then?
  • Back in early May I contacted a well-respected journo I'd got to know thanks to the Dossier project, to ask him if it would be worth sniffing around the Dobbo story (and Charlton TV, which I'll deal with on that thread). He didn't answer straight away and then I disengaged for the summer from social media - I'd used DM's on the Twitter - I only discovered today that he had done exactly that, albeit basically concluding "nothing to see here". Yet he was able to get some clarity on the wages issue and confirm the timelines of who said what when, so I think it's useful. And of course he replied a month before the final twist. Here verbatim is what he said:

"Bright lad, comes from money. (Contract..) Got extended last season, was on £3.5k a week. Club offered him £4.5k last autumn. He wanted £6k. His agent found him that money at the top-flight club in Hungary. They're Orban's team, so they've got a bit of cash. He told Charlton he'd stay if they met him halfway. Charlton said 'sit tight, wait to see what the new manager thinks'. He ignores the advice and signs a pre-contract, as is his right. 3yr deal, with a house, at £6k. Great deal for him. The Hungarian club want him to join in Jan, as they're pushing for Europe, but Jones says no. That upset Dobson but he knuckled down and played out the rest of the season, doing well. Jones, as the club predicted, did like Dobson and would prefer him to stay. But it's too late. Dobson signed the pre-contract. Charlton would never have matched the £6k, either. Stuff like this happens at every club, every summer."
    So neither the club nor his agent are the devils many portrayed them to be. 
  • Scoham said:
    Leuth said:

Looks like he was woofing down the goulash’s the short time he was in Hungary judging by that photo 
  • Back in early May I contacted a well-respected journo I'd got to know thanks to the Dossier project, to ask him if it would be worth sniffing around the Dobbo story (and Charlton TV, which I'll deal with on that thread). He didn't answer straight away and then I disengaged for the summer from social media - I'd used DM's on the Twitter - I only discovered today that he had done exactly that, albeit basically concluding "nothing to see here". Yet he was able to get some clarity on the wages issue and confirm the timelines of who said what when, so I think it's useful. And of course he replied a month before the final twist. Here verbatim is what he said:

"Bright lad, comes from money. (Contract..) Got extended last season, was on £3.5k a week. Club offered him £4.5k last autumn. He wanted £6k. His agent found him that money at the top-flight club in Hungary. They're Orban's team, so they've got a bit of cash. He told Charlton he'd stay if they met him halfway. Charlton said 'sit tight, wait to see what the new manager thinks'. He ignores the advice and signs a pre-contract, as is his right. 3yr deal, with a house, at £6k. Great deal for him. The Hungarian club want him to join in Jan, as they're pushing for Europe, but Jones says no. That upset Dobson but he knuckled down and played out the rest of the season, doing well. Jones, as the club predicted, did like Dobson and would prefer him to stay. But it's too late. Dobson signed the pre-contract. Charlton would never have matched the £6k, either. Stuff like this happens at every club, every summer."
    So neither the club nor his agent are the devils many portrayed them to be. 
    The journalist, who covers big global stories, and understandably needed to get an assessment of Dobbo the player before enquiring, has not dwelled on why Dobbo “ignored the advice”, and he wrote this on May 25th, a full month before Dobbo suddenly decided that perhaps Hungary wasnt the ideal place to drag his young family off to. I think it shows the club tried to do the best they could at an already chaotic time. They can still be criticised for not securing Dobbo last summer - Curbs was banging on about it all through the early season - but they hadnt got the right manager in place then. 

The agent is not a devil, simply a routine greedy **** whose only interest is a deal and what cut he can make from it. I’d be surprised if he’d ever heard of Fehervar. As we now know, the club were acting on a tip from a Hungarian scout working at Brentford.