Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

•  Charlton didn’t get back in touch to negotiate fresh terms. Unbelievable. I take it, that was Scott’s job..
  • Rothko said:
    Or Jones had moved on, and that’s fine 
    No everything at any time is always Andy Scott's fault. Remember

In Andy Scott We Distrust.
  •  Charlton didn’t get back in touch to negotiate fresh terms. Unbelievable. I take it, that was Scott’s job..
    Why is it unbelievable and why is Scott automatically being blamed?
    NJ stopped the transfer in February, Dobbo played out of his skin for the rest of the season. I find it hard to say that NJ changed his mind based of the performances that George put in.
    Who else was responsible for contracts?
  • Rodwell said on the YouTube thing the club did (before the Wrexham move) that Dobson was a fine player and welcome at Charlton anytime and anyway and anyhow.
    He must have known at the time there was an impasse, but also have known there was a chance to keep Dobson if the right offer was made.
    I am not sure why our workers collective of twenty five billionaires employ such a slippery merchant of distortion.
  • seth plum said:
    Rodwell said on the YouTube thing the club did (before the Wrexham move) that Dobson was a fine player and welcome at Charlton anytime and anyway and anyhow.
    He must have known at the time there was an impasse, but also have known there was a chance to keep Dobson if the right offer was made.
    I am not sure why our workers collective of twenty five billionaires employ such a slippery merchant of distortion.
    Think everyone totally misunderstood what Rodwell was saying there. He didn’t mean to play he meant to train if he needed fitness possibly or more likely to attend games and visit and in the future do corporate work like loads of ex-players
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 9
    It seems there was a complete breakdown in communication when NJ came in. Maybe he weren't fully aware of the Dobbo vs. Scott/Club conversation that had taken place or was ongoing. By the time he became aware of the situation, it was too late. I also think NJ probably subscribes to the old adage that if a player is looking elsewhere, whether justified or not, it's probably best to let them go. So, he used him for the second half of the season, and that was that, on to find his replacement.

• fenaddick said:
    seth plum said:
    Rodwell said on the YouTube thing the club did (before the Wrexham move) that Dobson was a fine player and welcome at Charlton anytime and anyway and anyhow.
    Think everyone totally misunderstood what Rodwell was saying there. He didn’t mean to play he meant to train if he needed fitness possibly or more likely to attend games and visit and in the future do corporate work like loads of ex-players
    Dodgy as you like - he knew exactly what he was saying and how to put it to try to placate the Dobson supporters. What's wrong with "the Club has decided that we can do better within the budget and have moved on to other targets." Then be judged by the players they bring in ?   
  • fenaddick said:
    seth plum said:
    If everybody misunderstood it is down to Rodwell to make himself clear, after all the club set up the Charlotte hosted online event in order to communicate honestly with supporters, but with the Dobson issue Rodwell quite deliberately obfuscated.
  • We already had Docherty lined up by that time
    Who is a better player. Everyone wins
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I took it as simply nice words rather than anything with intent around ever bringing him back in. 

If people chose in their blind hope to see it as anything else, that's on them. 

Dobson obviously wasn't interested in signing for us after Ferhavr broke down. 

I liked Dobson, but he has moved on and so should we.

I am sick of people always looking for a stick to beat the club with. We have in my opinion improved in most areas except GK and Striker, but it's Jones' squad this season, he has been backed to get some decent players in and his hands are tied on getting the next two in until we have dumped Fraser and moved on Ness. 
    I agree - for me it's just indicative of modern culture and the internet having to hyper analyse every little thing, when it really is not that deep.

Also I’d argue we are stronger in the GK department, as Mannion looks more solid than Isted.

Id also argue at least depth wise we are stronger up front as well.
  • There really isn’t much to understand.
    If the club initiates an event designed to communicate honestly with supporters, then communicate honestly.
  • I’m happy to move on from Dobbo and believe NJ decided he had to move on in time for the window opening this summer.

For me the issue is why the club waited ‘til  the winter window to offer Dobbo anything. Curbs was going on all autumn about the need to tie down key players early. Somebody, obviously not NJ, decided  he would be just a squad player. Unless that someone was Appleton, then whoever decided that deserves criticism for taking decisions outside their remit. 
  • Sponsored links:

NJ stopped the transfer in February, Dobbo played out of his skin for the rest of the season. I find it hard to say that NJ changed his mind based of the performances that George put in.
    Who else was responsible for contracts?
    There’s a difference in jones wanting him to keep us in l1 than building a promotion squad.

ronnie Moore gets a lot of stick on here but he isn’t wrong when pointing out there was no interest in Dobson from the championship. He did well for us at our lowest point in 100 years. If we are building a squad to push for promotion, we can do better than Dobson.

scott might be in charge of contracts but I would like to think that Scott only makes contact with players that jones wants.
  • https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wrexham-george-dobson-efl-charlton-33420936

Bit of the story in this article if anyone cares to read it in full.

If you want a summary:

- he was offered a squad player salary, thought he could get better elsewhere …
    - ended up signing the pre-contract on decent money so he could look after his young family …
    - set to leave in February but NJ pulled the plug on it after we lost to Reading, played out the season with CAFC …
    - after he got his pre-contract torn up in the summer, Charlton did not get back in touch to negotiate fresh terms …
    - signed for Wrexham after speaking to Eoghan O’Connell and is loving it there so far …
    I can believe O’Connell saying come here and earn big wages. I’m hopeless and it worked out well for me. I know a few people thought O’Connell was ok but I never rated him and after seeing him in some highlights for a Wrexham last season nothings changed.

O’Connell and Tozer were arguably the slowest league centre back pairing since O’Connell and Lavelle.
  • https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wrexham-george-dobson-efl-charlton-33420936

Bit of the story in this article if anyone cares to read it in full.

If you want a summary:

- he was offered a squad player salary, thought he could get better elsewhere …
    - ended up signing the pre-contract on decent money so he could look after his young family …
    - set to leave in February but NJ pulled the plug on it after we lost to Reading, played out the season with CAFC …
    - after he got his pre-contract torn up in the summer, Charlton did not get back in touch to negotiate fresh terms …
    - signed for Wrexham after speaking to Eoghan O’Connell and is loving it there so far …
    I can believe O’Connell saying come here and earn big wages. I’m hopeless and it worked out well for me. I know a few people thought O’Connell was ok but I never rated him and after seeing him in some highlights for a Wrexham last season nothings changed.

O’Connell and Tozer were arguably the slowest league centre back pairing since O’Connell and Lavelle.
    I’d totally forgotten that O’Connell played for us! 
  • I wonder if Dobson would make the first team tomorrow if we still had him. Coventry played the deeper role even when Dobson was here so it would really be between Docherty and Dobson, and Doc has 101 Scottish Premiership appearance and 90 Championship appearances to go with his 85 L1 apps. Luke Berry has L1 and Championship promotions and Premier League appearances and goals to his name. Dobson has never made it above L1 (though he has 5 Eredivisie apps!). In that case, while you might argue we wouldn't have signed Docherty if we'd kept Dobson, it sort of sounds like Dobson would have been a squad player, or at least would have had to rotate with players more experienced at a higher level. It's fine for Dobson not wanting to take a squad player wage but it wouldn't have been a great use of resources to pay him like a star player and then sit him on the bench half the season. Assuming Docherty and Berry perform for us this season it seems like this was best for everyone, we just need the new players to justify their place.
  • Dobson probably would have been a squad player under Jones on the basis that pretty much everyone is. Outside of a very few Jones likes to rotate and exchange players game by game.

I'm pretty much over his leaving, yes the way it played out was disappointing and bit farcical but I genuinely don't see us being in too many games and thinking "well we would've won/drawn that if Dobson had played instead."
  • This year Dobson would be a squad player yes. 

The problem was we offered Dobson squad player wages while he was currently one of our best players and probably knew the likes of Fraser etc. on way more than him. That's why he probably saw the offer as insulting. 

Imagine the players (Coventry etc.) that have been signed for this season will be on very similar wages to what Dobson was asking for originally. 
  • seth plum said:
    fenaddick said:
    seth plum said:
    If everybody misunderstood it is down to Rodwell to make himself clear, after all the club set up the Charlotte hosted online event in order to communicate honestly with supporters, but with the Dobson issue Rodwell quite deliberately obfuscated.
    Think the "didn't mean to play, he meant to train" was tongue in cheek. I took the 'welcome back any time' to be after he'd left.

Rightly or wrongly (we'll see soon enough) Jones didn't fancy Dobson. Doc and Berry were evidently going to be available and Jones considers the transfer dealings so far to be an upgrade for the squad. 

• edited August 24
    So what did Dobbo miss by not going to Fehervar? "The chance to play in Europe", some of you said. I pointed out at the time that this part of his season might be all over by September. I also questioned how exciting he might find the Hungarian League. So last night while watching Viktoria make a right pigs ear of what should have been an easy first leg against Hearts, I took a look to see how the Hungarian teams are making an impact in Europe.

Fehervar were always only destined for the Conference League. That destiny came to an abrupt end when they lost at home to the giants of Omonia Nicosia, in front of 3,840 fans, which may or may not have included Viktor Orban, allegedly their no.1 fan. That happened on August 14, four days after Charlton's season started. 

Well we heard that Fehervar have problems, which led to George receiving a get-out card. What of the others? Ferencvaros, the champions, went into the UCL qualifiers and were immediately kicked out by Midtylland, the Danish team the Brentford owner Benham has (? still) a stake in.  In the Europa League last night they could only draw 0-0 at home with Banja Luka of Serbia - although I'd really expect them to turn that around. 13,167 turned out the see the champions play in Europe, some 2,000 less than at the Valley last Saturday. 

Paksi SE went into the Europa League. They also didn't last long after losing 4-0 at home to Corvinul Hunedoara. No, me neither, but they are from Romania. A crowd of 4,182 watched that, which in fact is near capacity. The town is called Paks. i have no idea where it is, and sadly Dobbo will never find out. Anyway they dropped into the Conference and last night were up this way and drew 2-2 at Mlada Boleslav, a bang average team from the home town of Skoda Auto. Should be a thriller next week in Paks.

And last but not least, Puskas Academy. This is the ultimate plastic club, the one that happens to be the club in the village Viktor Orban comes from, and who play in a stadium built and paid for by the Hungarian taxpayer the "football mad" Orban. Before he took an interest they were in the 4th regional tier, last year they finished 3rd in the top tier, a point ahead of Fehervar. What a heart-warming fairy-tale story. 😉. Well to be fair, they got the best HU result of the night, getting a 3-3 draw away at Fiorentina. They also lead the league with a 100% record after four games. Looks like Vik has fixed it, eh?

And the moral of this story? Pre-contracts are the tools of the Devil.  

• So what did Dobbo miss by not going to Fehervar? "The chance to play in Europe", some of you said. I pointed out at the time that this part of his season might be all over by September. I also questioned how exciting he might find the Hungarian League. So last night while watching Viktoria make a right pigs ear of what should have been an easy first leg against Hearts, I took a look to see how the Hungarian teams are making an impact in Europe.

Fehervar were always only destined for the Conference League. That destiny came to an abrupt end when they lost at home to the giants of Omonia Nicosia, in front of 3,840 fans, which may or may not have included Viktor Orban, allegedly their no.1 fan. That happened on August 14, four days after Charlton's season started. 

Well we heard that Fehervar have problems, which led to George receiving a get-out card. What of the others? Ferencvaros, the champions, went into the UCL qualifiers and were immediately kicked out by Midtylland, the Danish team the Brentford owner Benham has (? still) a stake in.  In the Europa League last night they could only draw 0-0 at home with Banja Luka of Serbia - although I'd really expect them to turn that around. 13,167 turned out the see the champions play in Europe, some 2,000 less than at the Valley last Saturday. 

Paksi SE went into the Europa League. They also didn't last long after losing 4-0 at home to Corvinul Hunedoara. No, me neither, but they are from Romania. A crowd of 4,182 watched that, which in fact is near capacity. The town is called Paks. i have no idea where it is, and sadly Dobbo will never find out. Anyway they dropped into the Conference and last night were up this way and drew 2-2 at Mlada Boleslav, a bang average team from the home town of Skoda Auto. Should be a thriller next week in Paks.

And last but not least, Puskas Academy. This is the ultimate plastic club, the one that happens to be the club in the village Viktor Orban comes from, and who play in a stadium built and paid for by the Hungarian taxpayer the "football mad" Orban. Before he took an interest they were in the 4th regional tier, last year they finished 3rd in the top tier, a point ahead of Fehervar. What a heart-warming fairy-tale story. 😉. Well to be fair, they got the best HU result of the night, getting a 3-3 draw away at Fiorentina. They also lead the league with a 100% record after four games. Looks like Vik has fixed it, eh?

And the morale of this story? Pre-contracts are the tools of the Devil.  

And that Dobson should sack his agent for the whole Hungary fiasco!