Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• I haven't the foggiest what George Dobson will do.

FACT
  • Is he staying because Appleton is gone?
    AS been overruled from above 
  • Anyone who want's him gone needs to give their head a wobble and there are plenty of morons on the Facebook group who are saying that.
    Be careful what you wish for as he's been our best player for the last three years regardless of the muppets around him. 

I think his lack of positional discipline for a defensive midfielder has, at times, made other around him look worse than they are.

I don't know if I can do three more years of headless chicken football in our midfield but no doubt it'd be a very popular contract renewal with the wider fanbase. I'm willing to stick my neck out and say, whether he's here or elsewhere, Dobson won't be an integral part of the team when we finally manage to get promoted out of this league.
    We concede so many goals from cut backs to the space in front of our centre backs and Dobson is usually out trying to stop the cross instead of being where he should in that space. My hope is that in a better team he might trust his teammates more and just focus on doing his job, not everyone else’s. 

But then Dobson wasn’t playing that role on Tuesday and we still conceded one exactly like that. Is it a coaching/defensive set up issue rather than a Dobson issue? 

Dobson has improved over the 3 years so there’s also a chance he continues to develop, especially if we get a good manager/coaching staff in finally. I think he’s definitely worth keeping and would like to see a 3-4-1-2 with him and Coventry sat in front of the defence to make us more solid 

• edited January 26
    NabySarr said:
    Anyone who want's him gone needs to give their head a wobble and there are plenty of morons on the Facebook group who are saying that.
    Be careful what you wish for as he's been our best player for the last three years regardless of the muppets around him. 

I think his lack of positional discipline for a defensive midfielder has, at times, made other around him look worse than they are.

I don't know if I can do three more years of headless chicken football in our midfield but no doubt it'd be a very popular contract renewal with the wider fanbase. I'm willing to stick my neck out and say, whether he's here or elsewhere, Dobson won't be an integral part of the team when we finally manage to get promoted out of this league.
    We concede so many goals from cut backs to the space in front of our centre backs and Dobson is usually out trying to stop the cross instead of being where he should in that space. My hope is that in a better team he might trust his teammates more and just focus on doing his job, not everyone else’s. 

But then Dobson wasn’t playing that role on Tuesday and we still conceded one exactly like that. Is it a coaching/defensive set up issue rather than a Dobson issue? 
    I think because it's not really Dobson. One of the guys on Charlton Live has been tweeting all season about how, when the oppo get to the byline, the CBs stop marking players and mark space. They suddenly drop back 4-5 yards and leave their man free. Seems a bit harsh to put that on Dobbo. 
  • Sponsored links:

• The fact that a new offer has been made giving him the straight 3 years he wanted now MA has gone tells you who wanted him to leave .. Scott has got blamed unfairly or why would he now  make an offer ??
    Pretty sure it was the other way around?
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    The fact that a new offer has been made giving him the straight 3 years he wanted now MA has gone tells you who wanted him to leave .. Scott has got blamed unfairly or why would he now  make an offer ??
    Pretty sure it was the other way around?
    Pray tell - As in Dobbo wanted MA to leave or Scott wanted Dobbo to leave ??
  • I heard it was the latter 
  • The fact that a new offer has been made giving him the straight 3 years he wanted now MA has gone tells you who wanted him to leave .. Scott has got blamed unfairly or why would he now  make an offer ??
    I know I'm feeding the troll but you are saying that despite starting him in every game he managed whilst having a plethora of midfield choices, Appleton wanted Dobson out? You spout some rubbish but this is up there.
    So then why was the contract improved once MA went .. if it was Scott that did not fancy him then there be no change ??
  • Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Anyone who want's him gone needs to give their head a wobble and there are plenty of morons on the Facebook group who are saying that.

I think because it's not really Dobson. One of the guys on Charlton Live has been tweeting all season about how, when the oppo get to the byline, the CBs stop marking players and mark space. They suddenly drop back 4-5 yards and leave their man free. Seems a bit harsh to put that on Dobbo. 
    The centre backs have to do that. If you don’t drop into the space, it invites a simple ball parallel to the byline that a striker can run onto and tuck away.

You need your defenders in line (roughly) with the bloke who’s making the pass and you need a midfielder or two marshalling the space they’ve left in front of them.
  • edited January 26
    0:20 for an example of what happens to you if your defenders don’t drop their line in attempt to take away a cut back, it lets a player gets behind the back line and a tap in for a forward 

3:50 for an old example of defending these things the way Charlton have been

4:10 for an example of how defenders and midfielders have to work together to restrict the passing/crossing options of the wing player

https://youtu.be/3kL6KQB9zFA?si=IVhqh1Xv4WQRvzmB
  • edited January 26
    Thanks for that, interesting watch. I notice that in every example in that video they are still much closer to the striker than our CBs have been. I just had a look back at Jones for their second on Saturday. Their striker is standing still on the penalty spot. What run is Jones guarding against? In your view is he doing what he's supposed to @Callumcafc ?

I've just listened to Curbs comments as well and he's not happy Jones is 5 yards off him there. Him and Brownie both saying it was the CB. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 26
    Chunes said:
    Thanks for that, interesting watch. I notice that in every example in that video they are still much closer to the striker than our CBs have been. I just had a look back at Jones for their second on Saturday. Their striker is standing still on the penalty spot. What run is Jones guarding against? In your view is he doing what he's supposed to @Callumcafc ?

I've just listened to Curbs comments as well and he's not happy Jones is 5 yards off him there. Him and Brownie both saying it was the CB. 
    I think Jones positioning is ok there, he should probably be a bit closer to increase his chances of blocking the shot but he shouldn’t be stepping out of line to pick up that player. 

Coventry should be there to stop that goal, but a bit like Dobson he’s off trying to correct the mistakes of Edun (loses out with challenge) and Bakinson (should be where Coventry is and gambles that Edun will win the ball). If Bakinson hadn’t gambled on us winning the ball he might have been aware enough to fill in for Coventry who was out doing his job. 

This is where I’m not sure if it’s a Dobson issue, and more that our team are not good enough at getting into a good defensive shape 
  • NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:

I think Jones positioning is ok there, he should probably be a bit closer to increase his chances of blocking the shot but he shouldn’t be stepping out of line to pick up that player. 

Coventry should be there to stop that goal, but a bit like Dobson he’s off trying to correct the mistakes of Edun (loses out with challenge) and Bakinson (should be where Coventry is and gambles that Edun will win the ball). If Bakinson hadn’t gambled on us winning the ball he might have been aware enough to fill in for Coventry who was out doing his job. 

This is where I’m not sure if it’s a Dobson issue, and more that our team are not good enough at getting into a good defensive shape 
    Hmm... I see what you are saying, but don't see it the same way.

In the event of tactical disagreement, I envoke the Curbs & Brownie rule!
  • I think Jones has a good starting position ie he is about where he needs to be when the cross/pass is played but perhaps could’ve closed down a bit more effectively? He’s in a tough spot because of the midfield in front of him though as @NabySarr says.

There is also a separate issue here of wondering if we are especially prone to getting ourselves in these positions in the first place.

It’s notoriously difficult to defend when a player is consistently getting in behind your line - unfortunately there are no stats I can find about how often that is happening to Charlton versus other teams.

My hunch is it’s happening to us a lot. Similar to how we’re conceding goals because we’re allowing such a volume of total shots, I wonder if teams are finding these cutbacks again and again because we’re not effectively stopping the balls in behind.
  • I love Dobbo.  You’d have a heart of stone not to, but I don’t rate him, that position he plays is about a lot more than just successful tackles.  

Over the last two and a half seasons where he’s been a regular, one of the only regulars, the main problem has been the defence, I think we’d all agree on that.  Where we might disagree is that although the problem has been defence, it doesn’t solely fall on the shoulders of the back three/four.  Whatever players we stick in centre back or full back have had to deal with the goal absolutely peppered with shots from distance, honestly I’d love to see stats on most shots conceded from 20/25 yards we must be miles clear of anyone.  They’ve also had to deal with constant pressure from opposing midfielders linking up with forwards and wingers.  

So how’s this Dobbo’s fault?  It’s not entirely of course, but he’s our DM.  That position is about retaining the ball, interceptions, positional awareness, reading of the game.  For me, he simply doesn’t have the football brain for that, he’s a league one player because for what he lacks in footballing IQ he makes up for in tenacity, grit and determination.  And we rightly love him for it.  But to pin your hopes of promotion on him, not a chance.  

If he goes I’ll miss him for sentimental reasons, but not for his ability.  Probably one of my harshest posts but as ever it’s just my opinion on a forum, don’t bite my head off please!
    I think it’s more to do with the ability of his midfield partners than Dobson. Gilbey, Lee, Morgan, Fraser, Kilkenny, L.Watson (not great defensively). You might be right, but I think if we get Dobson and Coventry playing together (and in their proper roles not like Appleton was playing them) then we might finally be able to see what Dobsons like when he isn’t surrounded by crap 
  • Sorry the goals between 6yard and 18 yards isn’t a midfielder issue that is. CB’s especially if you have. 3 at the back.. 
  • I put Dobson in a similar bucket to what Semedo was in 2010/11. Stands out in a poor squad, but I'm not convinced he stands out at League One level overall. Not that I'd trust us to find anyone better.
  • When I read this crap about Dobson I realise some fans have not a clue and deserve the team we currently have. 
    Especially when they compare him to Semedo, who got promoted with Sheffield Wednesday the season after leaving and was voted in the Fans PFA league one team of the season.