Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    Sorry the goals between 6yard and 18 yards isn’t a midfielder issue that is. CB’s especially if you have. 3 at the back.. 
    Good thing absolutely no one is saying that then.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Sorry the goals between 6yard and 18 yards isn’t a midfielder issue that is. CB’s especially if you have. 3 at the back.. 
    The thing is, Dobson should be dealing with the attacking midfielder who ends up standing on the penalty spot, and has a free hit 
  • edited January 26
    SOTF said:
    When I read this crap about Dobson I realise some fans have not a clue and deserve the team we currently have. 
    Especially when they compare him to Semedo, who got promoted with Sheffield Wednesday the season after leaving and was voted in the Fans PFA league one team of the season.
    Let's say the entire story now? Semedo did in fact get promoted but as a runner up. Charlton got rid and vastly improved without him. Not only did Charlton also go up, they finished higher up the table and with more points than sheff wed. Champions in fact!!!

semedo was good for us but good in a poor team. Can you see the similarities?
  • When I read this crap about Dobson I realise some fans have not a clue and deserve the team we currently have. 
    So if someone has a different view to you, they don't know what they are talking about and deserve to support a shit team?

well, that's a well thought through response!!!!
  • Rothko said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    The thing is, Dobson should be dealing with the attacking midfielder who ends up standing on the penalty spot, and has a free hit 
    He should yes, in some instances.

Theres no one answer to our problems, some people mistake posts like mine as being exclusively “anti-Dobbo”, which is just not true.  
  • SOTF said:
    When I read this crap about Dobson I realise some fans have not a clue and deserve the team we currently have. 
    Especially when they compare him to Semedo, who got promoted with Sheffield Wednesday the season after leaving and was voted in the Fans PFA league one team of the season.
    Let's say the entire story now? Semedo did in fact get promoted but as a runner up. Charlton got rid and vastly improved without him. Not only did Charlton also go up, they finished higher up the table and with more points than sheff wed. Champions in fact!!!

Does that matter though? If they're good for us, they're good for us. Not their fault if they're surrounded by crap. 
  • NabySarr said:
    I love Dobbo.  You’d have a heart of stone not to, but I don’t rate him, that position he plays is about a lot more than just successful tackles.  

Over the last two and a half seasons where he’s been a regular, one of the only regulars, the main problem has been the defence, I think we’d all agree on that.  Where we might disagree is that although the problem has been defence, it doesn’t solely fall on the shoulders of the back three/four.  Whatever players we stick in centre back or full back have had to deal with the goal absolutely peppered with shots from distance, honestly I’d love to see stats on most shots conceded from 20/25 yards we must be miles clear of anyone.  They’ve also had to deal with constant pressure from opposing midfielders linking up with forwards and wingers.  

So how’s this Dobbo’s fault?  It’s not entirely of course, but he’s our DM.  That position is about retaining the ball, interceptions, positional awareness, reading of the game.  For me, he simply doesn’t have the football brain for that, he’s a league one player because for what he lacks in footballing IQ he makes up for in tenacity, grit and determination.  And we rightly love him for it.  But to pin your hopes of promotion on him, not a chance.  

If he goes I’ll miss him for sentimental reasons, but not for his ability.  Probably one of my harshest posts but as ever it’s just my opinion on a forum, don’t bite my head off please!
    I think it’s more to do with the ability of his midfield partners than Dobson. Gilbey, Lee, Morgan, Fraser, Kilkenny, L.Watson (not great defensively). You might be right, but I think if we get Dobson and Coventry playing together (and in their proper roles not like Appleton was playing them) then we might finally be able to see what Dobsons like when he isn’t surrounded by crap 
    Well worth noting that all the bolded players are no longer with us, and our team, indeed our midfield, has got worse without them.

Don't get me wrong, Dobbo has been one of our best players in recent years, but there has been a tendency to blame others for our midfield problems. 
  • Sponsored links:

• SOTF said:

My point is, he was also good in a good team.
  • Talal said:
    SOTF said:

Does that matter though? If they're good for us, they're good for us. Not their fault if they're surrounded by crap. 
    Did you read the post that I was responding to?
  • Talal said:
    SOTF said:

Did you read the post that I was responding to?
    I have slapped my wrist. 
  • I heard it was methven who offered it directly. Andy Scott apparently doesn't talk to dobbo at all. Very odd. They had a meeting Wednesday this week on the first teams day off, but not aware of the outcome. Dobbo did, off the back of thr offer, cancelled his flights to Hungary in order to have thr meeting Wednesday, but not sure what the outcome is. I imagine we will see soon? 
    I heard that Dobson would as captain deal with a lot of things on the behalf of the team, this has lead to being seen as a bit of a troublemaker with some. 

This make explain Scott not talking to him.
  • Agree with that. I imagine he doesn't like constructive criticism. In addition to what I heard, I've just been informed by Dobbos dad, via mine, that the club have asked for him to hold off until Wednesday whilst they get a better offer over to him. 
    He definitely doesn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree with that. I imagine he doesn't like constructive criticism. In addition to what I heard, I've just been informed by Dobbos dad, via mine, that the club have asked for him to hold off until Wednesday whilst they get a better offer over to him. 
    Up to now I’ve been a bit wary of joining in the general pile-in on Scott for lack of  hard evidence. You’ve produced the hardest evidence so far, and it is strong because (others take note) you give a clear indication of the source and channel of your information. So thank you for that.

If this is true it appears to indicate that Scott thinks we will somehow be just fine getting out of the current mess without Dobbo. If true that indicates quite appalling judgement. If CBT lines up in a white shirt on Saturday against us because we failed to negotiate a simple one match agreement for him not to play us out of respect to the fans, that is a second collossal misjudgement, albeit more short term in effect. 

The only think that still makes me cautious about fingering Scott as the main culprit for these two bad, bad decisions is the voices from Wearside who say that this looks like typical Methven work. They may not realise that he does not play the same role as he did up there, or that we have a quite different board to them at the time; however he has assumed more formal power than he said he would have back in May. It means that if this is Scott’s work and Methven sees the dangers as most us do, he has/had the power to intervene and stop them. Also, it seems Methven does have his own money at stake here, unlike at Sunderland where he was apparently gifted his 6% by Donald. ironically the money is  the windfall from selling his 6% share of Sunderland. Again this proves nothing, and of course his 6% share in this club will be devalued if we go down to L2. But it should be borne in mind, and we should all seek clear answers about how these decisions are being taken , and by whom.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    I think he's an average League 1 player, but one who runs his socks off and leaves nothing out there, he's certainly got fight and the right mentality, if we had 11 of his calibre we may not be pushing the top two, but we'd certainly be a lot higher up the table than we are now.

When I think back to the early 90's, your Garry Nelson's, Stuart Balmer, Darren Pitchers etc of this world were the dobo equivalent. Then of course we were in the equivalent of today's championship, and they were average championship players but of the right mentality. We also had quality in that team whether a Minto, Rob Lee/John Robinson, Colin Walsh etc. 

I don't want to see him go right now, we need him, and I've zero faith that we'd replace with any better, most likely worse. Many many other players that we need better from.
    We have already replaced him with better Conor Coventry 
    It’s dry outside. Ronniemoore - I love this rain we are having.
  • edited January 27
    What’s so funny/controversial about what RonnieMoore is saying?  A) he might well be better than Dobson and B ) he might well be his replacement.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    I think he's an average League 1 player, but one who runs his socks off and leaves nothing out there, he's certainly got fight and the right mentality, if we had 11 of his calibre we may not be pushing the top two, but we'd certainly be a lot higher up the table than we are now.

When I think back to the early 90's, your Garry Nelson's, Stuart Balmer, Darren Pitchers etc of this world were the dobo equivalent. Then of course we were in the equivalent of today's championship, and they were average championship players but of the right mentality. We also had quality in that team whether a Minto, Rob Lee/John Robinson, Colin Walsh etc. 

I don't want to see him go right now, we need him, and I've zero faith that we'd replace with any better, most likely worse. Many many other players that we need better from.
    We'll have to sell Coventry then. No room in the team for both players & I expect (especially from what I've read on here) that Scott thought Dobbo was going. 
  • Rob7Lee said:

We'll have to sell Coventry then. No room in the team for both players & I expect (especially from what I've read on here) that Scott thought Dobbo was going. 
    Agreed there might not be room in the team for both players but there’s room in the squad for them both to compete isn’t that what we want in all positions having two capable players scrapping for one place? No reason either of them needs to leave.