Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• Rothko said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sorry the goals between 6yard and 18 yards isn’t a midfielder issue that is. CB’s especially if you have. 3 at the back.. 
    Good thing absolutely no one is saying that then.
    The thing is, Dobson should be dealing with the attacking midfielder who ends up standing on the penalty spot, and has a free hit 
    This is hardly the most important thing to argue about, but why was this Dobbo’s job rather than Coventry’s. I ask because to everyone’s surprise Appleton put Coventry in Dobbo’s position and asked Dobbo tomplay further forward. 

Unrelated, but in my view more important, is a question not currently being discussed, and one for all those in the “Dobbo can leave” camp. In a squad widely criticised in the Charlton TV studio for its lack of leaders, who will take the captain’s armband for what we must now accept is going to be a rather grim relegation battle? The only candidate I can see who exhibits the personal qualities is Alfie May, but it’s generally accepted that a striker isn’t an ideal position for that.
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    I think he's an average League 1 player, but one who runs his socks off and leaves nothing out there, he's certainly got fight and the right mentality, if we had 11 of his calibre we may not be pushing the top two, but we'd certainly be a lot higher up the table than we are now.

When I think back to the early 90's, your Garry Nelson's, Stuart Balmer, Darren Pitchers etc of this world were the dobo equivalent. Then of course we were in the equivalent of today's championship, and they were average championship players but of the right mentality. We also had quality in that team whether a Minto, Rob Lee/John Robinson, Colin Walsh etc. 

I don't want to see him go right now, we need him, and I've zero faith that we'd replace with any better, most likely worse. Many many other players that we need better from.
    We have already replaced him with better Conor Coventry 
    We'll have to sell Coventry then. No room in the team for both players & I expect (especially from what I've read on here) that Scott thought Dobbo was going. 
    Scott is the only reason Dobo hasn't signed yet, if it wasn't for Scott, Dobo would have signed already. He doesn't want to leave.
    Rubbish 
    If you want to rubbish someone else’s comment - you must have concrete evidence for doing so - what is it then ? 
  • edited January 27
    When I read this crap about Dobson I realise some fans have not a clue and deserve the team we currently have. 
    I think pretty much all of those that don’t rate Dobson as highly as others on here still talk about their admiration for him, and often point out the value he does bring to the team in other ways.

Yet other posters seem to get extremely sensitive about it and post comment like this, or mention words such as ‘disrespect’ like they’ve compared his ability to that of the ghost of Joe Ledley.

Personally I don’t think Dobson is bad (I don’t think anyone does, and no one has said that), but I also am not sure he is as good as many many make out. 
    I think I'm kind of roughly in this camp, but I still adore him and love watching him. I have questions about how some of his weaknesses (playing in tight spaces, lack of aerial ability, maybe tactical discipline) factor into the promotion chasing team we're trying to build with the players and style we're trying to build around, but I would also be heartbroken if he left. 

No one is saying he's bad. All of our players have pretty noticeable flaws because of the level we're at. But there are a lot I enjoy watching play. 
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    I think he's an average League 1 player, but one who runs his socks off and leaves nothing out there, he's certainly got fight and the right mentality, if we had 11 of his calibre we may not be pushing the top two, but we'd certainly be a lot higher up the table than we are now.

When I think back to the early 90's, your Garry Nelson's, Stuart Balmer, Darren Pitchers etc of this world were the dobo equivalent. Then of course we were in the equivalent of today's championship, and they were average championship players but of the right mentality. We also had quality in that team whether a Minto, Rob Lee/John Robinson, Colin Walsh etc. 

I don't want to see him go right now, we need him, and I've zero faith that we'd replace with any better, most likely worse. Many many other players that we need better from.
    We have already replaced him with better Conor Coventry 
    We'll have to sell Coventry then. No room in the team for both players & I expect (especially from what I've read on here) that Scott thought Dobbo was going. 
    Scott is the only reason Dobo hasn't signed yet, if it wasn't for Scott, Dobo would have signed already. He doesn't want to leave.
    Rubbish 
    Thanks for confirming it. 
  • I appreciate there are differing views on Dobson's abilities, future potential etc etc. But I don't think anyone criticises the effort he puts in.

Curbs has said a couple of times that the one player from the current squad he would have had in his squad back in the day, is Dobson. That's good enough for me. Given that I would like to see how he performs with better players and a better manager around him because it feels like he has been carrying a disproportionate amount of the load for far too long.
     And what does that dinosaur know about anything?

Wish some of you would move on.
    Hmmn, let me think. With regards to footbalI? I suspect a little more than you.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 28
    AndyG said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Find it staggering so many have written Dobbo off. Might not be the greatest, but without him May and CBT this season would be an even bigger mess than it already is.
    Mate there are some seriously deluded fans on here who don’t appreciate just what the bloke does on the pitch for us. If we can get him to sign a new contract it will be our best signing of the window without doubt
    This is a typical response of what I can only describe as ‘the cult of Dobbo’ where if you don’t agree with their views of him you are ‘serious deluded’ or ‘deserve the team’ we have.

Again, I don’t see anyone writing Dobson off. There’s a school of thought from some posters that his skill set is not what a promotion looking team is needing. And currently if you look at what position the teams he has played a substantial amount for in a season have finished, that backs that up. 

But no one is saying he is crap, or shouldn’t be playing currently. If Dobson ends up in the championship or plays for a league one team which are pushing for promotion then I’ll be chuffed and happily hold my hands up.

If he does not, or randomly ends up in Hungary, then I think people will need to admit they have overestimated his ability. 
    Very odd how angry people get over this subject, we’re not debating Israel Palestine, it’s a league one defensive midfielder.  
  • I think people get angry because Dobson is the one Charlton player who always gives 100%.
    We are in the lowest position in our history and wouldn't be if everyone tried as hard as him.
    Not one person on either side of the debate has questioned his efforts levels. 
  • I think people get angry because Dobson is the one Charlton player who always gives 100%.
    We are in the lowest position in our history and wouldn't be if everyone tried as hard as him.
    Exactly. I understand that football is passion and emotion driven game, but no one is questioning Dobson on those merits, and I just don’t get how people can get so angry based on such a non-offensive opposing view.  

If people were insulting his young child I’d get it. But to say you don’t think he is good enough for a promotion winning team, when he has never been in one, is not earth shattering news. 

Also, for as much as a battler he is, tell me what the league positions he has finished in where he has played a substantial amount of the season.

8th at Sunderland I think, though they then went up the season they sold him to us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    I think people get angry because Dobson is the one Charlton player who always gives 100%.
    Exactly. I understand that football is passion and emotion driven game, but no one is questioning Dobson on those merits, and I just don’t get how people can get so angry based on such a non-offensive opposing view.  

If people were insulting his young child I’d get it. But to say you don’t think he is good enough for a promotion winning team, when he has never been in one, is not earth shattering news. 

Also, for as much as a battler he is, tell me what the league positions he has finished in where he has played a substantial amount of the season.

8th at Sunderland I think, though they then went up the season they sold him to us. 
    Where a team finishes is not much reflection on an individual player. Would us finishing 16th this year be a reflection on whether Alfie May is good enough for a promotion side? 
    Different roles though, Alfie May does have the skill set to be in a promotion winning side, because his skill set is scoring goals, and he’s very good at it.

Dobson skill set, as others have pointed out, does not necessarily contain the technical and physical attributes that promotion winning teams that dominate games in the middle of the park need.

• edited January 28
    Chunes said:
    I think people get angry because Dobson is the one Charlton player who always gives 100%.

Where a team finishes is not much reflection on an individual player. Would us finishing 16th this year be a reflection on whether Alfie May is good enough for a promotion side? 
    Different roles though, Alfie May does have the skill set to be in a promotion winning side, because his skill set is scoring goals, and he’s very good at it.

Dobson skill set, as others have pointed out, does not necessarily contain the technical and physical attributes that promotion winning teams that dominate games in the middle of the park need.

That doesn't answer why you can judge them by where their teams finish. 
  • Chunes said:

Looking at the league table I'm presuming we're happy to accept relegation without Dobbo and it's promotion from L2 we're now discussing.

Let's prioritise staying in L1 before we concentrate on promotion from L1.
    Surely that is sensible?
    God you lot are worse than the Cole Stockton stans.

This is the last I will say on the matter, because the counter points are just getting silly now. It’s either ‘I’ve got not time for you’, you’re deluded, or in this case just making up some points that no one has said or implied. 

Absolutely no one has said get rid of him in our current situation, absolutely no has said we are happy to accept relegation, and absolutely no one has said we shouldn’t be thinking of just staying up before we think of promotion

All anyone has ever said is they don’t think he has the correct attributes and skill set for someone as part of a midfield that dominates in this league and gets promoted. And so far no matter how many other midfielders we try, that’s where we are at. 

Ultimately time will tell, so let’s set a reminder for 5 years time and see where we are at then.

• 3 MORE YEARSSS, 3 MORE YEARS GEORGE DOBSONNNN
  • Chunes said:

Looking at the league table I'm presuming we're happy to accept relegation without Dobbo and it's promotion from L2 we're now discussing.

Let's prioritise staying in L1 before we concentrate on promotion from L1.
    Surely that is sensible?
    God you lot are worse than the Cole Stockton stans.

This is the last I will say on the matter, because the counter points are just getting silly now. It’s either ‘I’ve got not time for you’, you’re deluded, or in this case just making up some points that no one has said or implied. 

Absolutely no one has said get rid of him in our current situation, absolutely no has said we are happy to accept relegation, and absolutely no one has said we shouldn’t be thinking of just staying up before we think of promotion

All anyone has ever said is they don’t think he has the correct attributes and skill set for someone as part of a midfield that dominates in this league and gets promoted. And so far no matter how many other midfielders we try, that’s where we are at. 

Ultimately time will tell, so let’s set a reminder for 5 years time and see where we are at then.

If Reading hadn't been deducted points and if the teams below us win their games in hand we would be in the bottom 4.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/table.

So for clarity are you saying you want Dobson to stay and help us stay up or are you saying you're content that he's played his last game for Charlton and we don't need him in the last 3 months of the season?
  • edited January 28
    I want Dobson to sign a contract to stay, help us get back to mid table by May and be the first midfielder off the bench next season.