Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• He’s gonna sign, He’s gonna sign, He’s gonna sign. 
  • Chunes said:
    I think people get angry because Dobson is the one Charlton player who always gives 100%.
    We are in the lowest position in our history and wouldn't be if everyone tried as hard as him.
    Not one person on either side of the debate has questioned his efforts levels. 
    Exactly. I understand that football is passion and emotion driven game, but no one is questioning Dobson on those merits, and I just don’t get how people can get so angry based on such a non-offensive opposing view.  

If people were insulting his young child I’d get it. But to say you don’t think he is good enough for a promotion winning team, when he has never been in one, is not earth shattering news. 

Also, for as much as a battler he is, tell me what the league positions he has finished in where he has played a substantial amount of the season.

8th at Sunderland I think, though they then went up the season they sold him to us. 
    Where a team finishes is not much reflection on an individual player. Would us finishing 16th this year be a reflection on whether Alfie May is good enough for a promotion side? 
    Different roles though, Alfie May does have the skill set to be in a promotion winning side, because his skill set is scoring goals, and he’s very good at it.

Dobson skill set, as others have pointed out, does not necessarily contain the technical and physical attributes that promotion winning teams that dominate games in the middle of the park need.

Looking at the league table I'm presuming we're happy to accept relegation without Dobbo and it's promotion from L2 we're now discussing.

Let's prioritise staying in L1 before we concentrate on promotion from L1.
    Surely that is sensible?
    God you lot are worse than the Cole Stockton stans.

This is the last I will say on the matter, because the counter points are just getting silly now. It’s either ‘I’ve got not time for you’, you’re deluded, or in this case just making up some points that no one has said or implied. 

Absolutely no one has said get rid of him in our current situation, absolutely no has said we are happy to accept relegation, and absolutely no one has said we shouldn’t be thinking of just staying up before we think of promotion

All anyone has ever said is they don’t think he has the correct attributes and skill set for someone as part of a midfield that dominates in this league and gets promoted. And so far no matter how many other midfielders we try, that’s where we are at. 

Ultimately time will tell, so let’s set a reminder for 5 years time and see where we are at then.

If Reading hadn't been deducted points and if the teams below us win their games in hand we would be in the bottom 4.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/table.

So for clarity are you saying you want Dobson to stay and help us stay up or are you saying you're content that he's played his last game for Charlton and we don't need him in the last 3 months of the season?
    And if my auntie had a knob she'd be my uncle.  :D
  • Didn’t someone say the Hungarian window closes mid February? 👀 
  • Scoham said:
    Didn’t someone say the Hungarian window closes mid February? 👀 
    Apparently it does. But we’d have wanted the wedge from any deal before the English window closes, surely? 

• Sponsored links:

• "Like a new signing" if the Dobbo stays
  • ....Rumour is, he is
  • Dobson renewal and Jones officially announced before the match tomorrow and the mood around the Valley will be massively lifted. 
  • Obviously I'd like him to sign but I think it's a positive step that the owners didn't sell. Also a good mark of the man that he wants to play unlike CBT. If we only get a few months of his crunching tackles I'll enjoy them as much as I can. Think Jones has the potential to give him the positional discipline to take him to the next level
  • If there is an announcement about Dobson staying on I will buy our two season tickets for next season.
  • There's a choreography if Dobson signs, which revolves around Jones being the reason he's staying
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    He will not go, he has a new offer on the table, if he doesn’t want to sign he will go on a free. He has a good revised offer on the table, and got what he wanted. 
    I bet that pleased Scott.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think there is an immediate rush for George to sign a new contract. He will want to see we are heading in the right direction.

If he has a desire to stay, as has been suggested, then he'll keep putting in his all and he can assess it in a couple of months time.

I hope the club don't try and force his hand too quickly. He is undoubtedly an asset for this football club in his talent, effort and general demeanour around the place.
  • If he signs a new contract I would be extremely chuffed the bloke has all the required attributes to be one of our legends
  • If Dobbo has been offered the contract that he wanted there seems little reason for him not to sign it. If he doesn't sign then maybe the contract wasn't actually what he wanted, we only have the info that methven has fed to his messenger & I wouldn't trust methven further than I could throw an elephant.
  • If Dobbo has been offered the contract that he wanted there seems little reason for him not to sign it. If he doesn't sign then maybe the contract wasn't actually what he wanted, we only have the info that methven has fed to his messenger & I wouldn't trust methven further than I could throw an elephant.
    A good reason would be if Dobbo signs it tomorrow and in a few weeks Nathan Jones says he doesn't rate him & he won't be featuring in the first team, that leaves Dobbo frozen out.
  • Tight calf....hmm....
  • Tight calf....hmm....
    Same as CBT's leg injury?
  • Tight calf....hmm....
    Same as CBT's leg injury?
    Carl Leaburn's dead leg
  • Rumour it's just a tight thigh