Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• Hopefully Nathan Jones can have a good word with him and see what he brings to the team and the cretinous board are overruled.
  • Chunes said:
    If true, what kind of message does it send the squad when your most hardworking and consistent player, two time POTY, is rewarded with that
    What message would it send to the squad that one player is considered more 'hardworking' than all of them? You say it like the rest are shirkers 
  • The Hungarian pre-contract news was widely reported at the time wasn’t it?
  • Players  come and players go. 

If he has decided to move on then so be it. No point trying to force him to stay.  

The squad is a mess and he may or may not be central to it next season. Who knows.  

Or it could still be a negotiation on the offer itself. 
  • Leuth said:
    Dobson is very good and I hope he stays, but if there's one 'star player' in all my time following Charlton we can most afford to lose, it's him. We are so well covered in his exact position. It wasn't a Dobson we missed versus Derby, it was a combination of an attacking midfielder, progressive wingbacks and Ladapo being any good at all. And a keeper who can distribute 
    So basically half a team we are missing I wonder how we got into this mess not hard to see the problem while we lose our better players who are never valued.
  • Steven81 said:
    Leuth said:
    Dobson is very good and I hope he stays, but if there's one 'star player' in all my time following Charlton we can most afford to lose, it's him. We are so well covered in his exact position. It wasn't a Dobson we missed versus Derby, it was a combination of an attacking midfielder, progressive wingbacks and Ladapo being any good at all. And a keeper who can distribute 
    So basically half a team we are missing I wonder how we got into this mess not hard to see the problem while we lose our better players who are never valued.
    I think the idea is that we won't be missing them when Nathan Jones wrangles them properly. We've signed the two wingbacks I assume he wanted. Ladapo will improve. Isted can distribute. And we have a couple of attacking midfield options, perhaps a couple more returning from injury
  • Sponsored links:

• It is very early days but I am still waiting for Coventry to look an improvement on Dobson in that role.

A squad game too, so ideally we have room for them both. 
  • If Dobson has signed a pre contract, then he'll still be here until the end of the season.

Personally I think it's a bizarre move, if he is going to Hungary in the summer, rather than waiting until then and seeing his options.
    Unless he’s getting some incredible wage increase, it makes no sense 
  • I would be surprised if he has signed a pre-contract, as other's have said it makes far more sense for him to wait and see what our final offer is and/or other clubs in England in the summer
  • How does signing a pre contract work. If Nathan Jones comes in, really rates Dobson, and wants him to not have a ‘squad’ player contract. Is he then able to choose to cancel and stay with us?
  • I love Dobbo and want him to stay. If he goes then there had better be a big uplift in results to compensate for his loss.
    If Dobbo goes and we are not promoted next season then this regime are a load of idiots for alienating not just me but plenty of others.
  • edited February 5
    How does signing a pre contract work. If Nathan Jones comes in, really rates Dobson, and wants him to not have a ‘squad’ player contract. Is he then able to choose to cancel and stay with us?
    In the UK pre-contracts are not usually legally binding. I would imagine that as the team is overseas it would be even less enforceable. However, why put yourself in that situation unless you are 100% sure on going through with it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:
    We are in a relegation fight. We really need our best tackler in the team. For that reason I hope the club does everything it can to encourage him to stay. As for the long run, sure there are better players out there. If the club can replace him with better in the next transfer window, then all well and good. But, if we can't scratch together a few wins between then and now, the next window will see us looking at a different calibre player altogether. Nothing I saw on Saturday has convinced me that we've got a player, let alone players, that are equipped to replace Dobbo now. Let's at least ensure he's with us for the next few months.
    The pre-contract would only be for next season, so he'll be with us for the rest of the season anyway.
  • edited February 5
  • Stig said:
    We are in a relegation fight. We really need our best tackler in the team. For that reason I hope the club does everything it can to encourage him to stay. As for the long run, sure there are better players out there. If the club can replace him with better in the next transfer window, then all well and good. But, if we can't scratch together a few wins between then and now, the next window will see us looking at a different calibre player altogether. Nothing I saw on Saturday has convinced me that we've got a player, let alone players, that are equipped to replace Dobbo now. Let's at least ensure he's with us for the next few months.
    The pre-contract would only be for next season, so he'll be with us for the rest of the season anyway.
    Ahh, thanks for that.  That's alright then. I thought people were talking about Hungarians having an extended window. In that case, I'll be sad to see him go, but I won't be that sad if we get a replacement who's better.
  • Leuth said:
    Steven81 said:
    Leuth said:
    I think the idea is that we won't be missing them when Nathan Jones wrangles them properly. We've signed the two wingbacks I assume he wanted. Ladapo will improve. Isted can distribute. And we have a couple of attacking midfield options, perhaps a couple more returning from injury

Whilst I am disappointed that he's going, based on Saturday I'm actually not entirely convinced that Dobson being or not being in team made a lot of material difference.

He's primarily there for his defensive skills... but we have a lot of defensive midfielders. We let in a goal due to a mistake... but we were doing that even when he does play. We have very little attacking impetus and forward drive... but he doesn't really offer that anyway.

On a personal level I love to see a trier and he puts in a shift nearly without fail. But for me, the jury is still out whether his personal contribution actually manifestly makes the team as a whole any better, sadly.
  • Stig said:
    I personally think we may have seen the last of him. You could count the amount of injuries and games missed through knocks Dobbo has had on one hand. Tight calf, my arse. 
  • ValleyBen said:
    It's so insulting to Dobson to see a minority of fans talk about him as if his only attributes is tackling. 
    He's a technically good footballer, as I said above, and he tries very hard, yes. You'd think these things would combine to make an unbeatable L1 midfielder. But there's something missing, which may be as simple as raw football intelligence, or may also include a burst of acceleration. I'm not sure.

Can him and Coventry work in the same midfield? I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
  • Stig said:
    I personally think we may have seen the last of him. You could count the amount of injuries and games missed through knocks Dobbo has had on one hand. Tight calf, my arse. 
    Feels to me like he’s signed the pre contract and the club want to see if they can get a decent fee in the next 2 weeks while the window is open. If he has signed the pre contract then I can see the logic for getting some money for him now. Allows NJ to plan better for next season and for a midfield to bed in. 
  • In the 2.5 years Dobson has been here, he has scarcely - if at all - missed a game through injury.

Yet Saturday he was unavailable because of some sort of strain.

I fear there is something going on below the surface.