Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• Getting to the point where I sort of want Dobson to leave just so we can stop having the circular 'Dobson is good > maybe a player like Dobson isn't what we need > he's our best player though > but we're quite bad > Dobson is good > I'm not saying he isn't, jus- > DOBSON IS GOOD' argument every day
    Correction. Don’t you mean ‘Dobbo’.
  • edited February 5
    Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if he signed a new contract, but the thing that concerns me is the total lack of transfer gossip surrounding Dobson, other than the slightly random Hungary interest.

Why haven't any Championship clubs shown interest if he's that good? The likes of QPR, Huddersfield, Blackburn, Plymouth etc, all clubs who would be expected to be interested in a decent L1 player with 6 months left on his contract. 
    Could say the same about our January recruits, if they were any good, why didn't they have other championship or league 1 interest that we know of. Bakinson, Fiorini, Gillesphey, REG. In the clear running for all of them from what I can see. 

It isn't often you'll see a club shell out for a non-goal scoring centre mid in January at this level, they probably think they can get by without. I imagine he will have interest in the summer.
  • edited February 5
    I'll be surprised if he went to Hungary, I think he's waiting to see if we stay up.

Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Chizz said:
    Dobbo has until 14 February to show NJ that he's worth whatever he's asking for in terms of salary, for a contract renewal/extension.  And NJ has until that date to convince - or otherwise - the owners that Dobbo forms part of a long-term plan to get Charlton back to the Championship.  

For now, I trust NJ to make the decision that's right for Charlton: either to keep a talismanic captain to the end of the season, or ever beyond; or to ditch a player who has been part of a team drifting downwards and use the savings on players he thinks are more appropriate, starting in the Summer.  

I hold nothing against Dobbo for first wanting to do what's best for him and his family and second, for hanging around long enough to be able to conclude meaningful discussions with February's manager, when January's manager wasn't able to give him what he required.  

I think he's a really good player and I would be delighted if he stays.  But what I think is utterly irrelevant, compared to what the new manager wants to achieve this season and beyond.  So if he stays, that great, because it means NJ can use him to start the climb.  And if he goes, that's great too, because it means NJ will have plans for improvement beyond this season. 

Is Charlton's future reliant on a journeyman footballer who hasn't played above L1 level in England?  I hope not.  
    If what Swisdom heard on Saturday is true then it doesn't matter what NJ thinks as it'll be too late.
  • Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if he signed a new contract, but the thing that concerns me is the total lack of transfer gossip surrounding Dobson, other than the slightly random Hungary interest.

Why haven't any Championship clubs shown interest if he's that good? The likes of QPR, Huddersfield, Blackburn, Plymouth etc, all clubs who would be expected to be interested in a decent L1 player with 6 months left on his contract. 
    Could say the same about our January recruits, if they were any good, why didn't they have other championship or league 1 interest that we know of. Bakinson, Fiorini, Gillesphey, REG. In the clear running for all of them from what I can see. 

It isn't often you'll see a club shell out for a non-goal scoring centre mid in January at this level, they probably think they can get by without. I imagine he will have interest in the summer.
    None of those were "star" players at their clubs, the club captain. 3 were fringe/squad players, the other an injured youngster 12th choice for City's midfield.
  • I agree with @NabySarr, particularly if NJ plays a diamond. Dobson would be perfect as an anchor at the base of it with two 8’s and a 10 in front of him. Think Coventry could play as an 8 in that system too as there’d be enough ahead of him that means he can stay fairly deep and play that quarterback style role 
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    Oggy Red said:
    There has not been many successful teams playing with 11 virtuoso creative players.

What you do need is a couple of grafting no nonsense players who put in the tackles and  hard yards to provide a platform for your flair players to do their stuff. 

Even at Charlton, you'll remember Curbs had people like Kish and Keith Jones. Right now, we've got Dobbo.

Our team problem right now is not Dobbo, it's the lack of creative players in other positions.

Can’t agree with that. Our problem is letting in too many goals. 

We’ve conceded 112 goals in the last 18 months and Dobson’s only missed two games in that period. Not all his fault obviously but not the kind of record any defensively minded player would want to be associated with.
    Or you could look at it and say "imagine how many we'd have conceded had we not had our player of the year defensive midfielder Dobbo there for the last two years"
    Don’t have time to go through the every team’s last 76 games right now (shocker I know) but I honestly don’t think it could get much worse…
  • Leuth said:
    Steven81 said:
    Leuth said:
    Dobson is very good and I hope he stays, but if there's one 'star player' in all my time following Charlton we can most afford to lose, it's him. We are so well covered in his exact position. It wasn't a Dobson we missed versus Derby, it was a combination of an attacking midfielder, progressive wingbacks and Ladapo being any good at all. And a keeper who can distribute 
    So basically half a team we are missing I wonder how we got into this mess not hard to see the problem while we lose our better players who are never valued.
    I think the idea is that we won't be missing them when Nathan Jones wrangles them properly. We've signed the two wingbacks I assume he wanted. Ladapo will improve. Isted can distribute. And we have a couple of attacking midfield options, perhaps a couple more returning from injury
    Wrangles them properly😂

Licks them into sharp, my words.😂

If it was that simple we won’t need to keep changing coaches/manager all the time.

• Before this season I did not keep a note if a player was injured but only if he played or didn't, Dubbo's record is:
    21/22: Missed 13 games
    22/23:ever present
    23/24: missed 1

My view is that he was going but now will wait to see whether he likes the world according to NJ
  • Oggy Red said:
    There has not been many successful teams playing with 11 virtuoso creative players.

What you do need is a couple of grafting no nonsense players who put in the tackles and  hard yards to provide a platform for your flair players to do their stuff. 

Even at Charlton, you'll remember Curbs had people like Kish and Keith Jones. Right now, we've got Dobbo.

Our team problem right now is not Dobbo, it's the lack of creative players in other positions.

In one😄

Sort that one out Nathan.
  • So at a guess...

1. Our SMT thought he was average and offered him an average L1 wage as a new contract. Dobbo asked for more, we refused expecting him to take it.
    2. His agent then found him a contract in line with his expectations, he signed a pre contract and told the club.
    3. We then offered him what he wanted, albeit knowing it was too late but to enable
    4. Methven to leak that we offered him what he wanted and he has gone elsewhere despite that...Club not at fault.

Something like that?

But it's ok because it is just like when Semedo left as he wasn't good enough (ignoring that he was promoted with Sheff Weds who loved him the next season); and we have already replaced Dobbo anyway with a L1 elite player in Bakinson. 

• stonemuse said:
    If Dobson has signed a pre contract, then he'll still be here until the end of the season.

Personally I think it's a bizarre move, if he is going to Hungary in the summer, rather than waiting until then and seeing his options.
    Unless he’s getting some incredible wage increase, it makes no sense 
    There is no chance of that. Orban’s fave team or not. There is no money in that league, some of them get three figure crowds paying a fiver to get in and the TV deal would piss off National League clubs here. On top of that - and this may come as a shock to some - English trad. football style isn’t highly rated in Hungary. Its all about moving the ball around fast, on the deck, to wing backs. Dobbo’s strengths are neither much needed nor highly prized. They would not break the bank for him or anyone else from the English 3rd tier. It’s ridiculous. The only caveat is, nowadays football is ridiculous. As we first discovered when RD took over.

@Swisdom next time one of those lounge lizards tells you it’s true, ask them why they think Dobbo wants to do it, and why the Hungarians want him. Watch their mouths do a passable impression of a goldfish on crack.
    Sounds like something we need as well to be honest. 
  • Sorry if I missed it, has there been any comment on whether Dobson will be available on Saturday? 
  • If there really is an offer to go to Hungary…

• NJ press conference today I think 
  • Sponsored links:

• Before this season I did not keep a note if a player was injured but only if he played or didn't, Dubbo's record is:
    21/22: Missed 13 games
    22/23:ever present
    23/24: missed 1

My view is that he was going but now will wait to see whether he likes the world according to NJ

👏For info Lancashire lad.

The daughter carrying in winter and missing a game with a tight muscle seems a clear clue with a player who never seems to miss a match unless dropped in 21/22 season by Adkins.

I just know he's a 100% player who leaves it all on the pitch for the duration of the long matches of 100+ minutes. 
    A shining light example in a dystopian darkness of recent seasons.
  • If there really is an offer to go to Hungary…

Most young people speak English
  • I'd like to see the opta stats for Dobbo, with distance covered, interceptions and touches, etc, as compared to the other midfielders. He appears to be busy and involved in every game, whereas others have looked anonymous. 
  • Southbank said:
    If there really is an offer to go to Hungary…

Most young people speak English
    Only true in Budapest. 
  • I'd like to see the opta stats for Dobbo, with distance covered, interceptions and touches, etc, as compared to the other midfielders. He appears to be busy and involved in every game, whereas others have looked anonymous. 
    Squawka is good for that. 
    You can add/remove plenty of stats and compare with loads of players from the same team or league. 

• NabySarr said:
    I'd like to see the opta stats for Dobbo, with distance covered, interceptions and touches, etc, as compared to the other midfielders. He appears to be busy and involved in every game, whereas others have looked anonymous. 

It’s not those exact stats but this compares him to other League 1 centre mids. Predictably he’s in the top 10% for a lot of defensive metrics but maybe more surprisingly he also comes out well in others which shows how much he has developed that side of his game. Just look at the difference vs last season below! 

Just shows how rubbish it would be to lose him
  • Is he strudel bound or what then?

Getting boring now.  My theory is that if he's not resplendant in leather Lederhosen by this week, he's been tapped up to leave for nothing in the summer by a League One collossus!