Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    I was speaking to Hungarian friend of mine, and was talking about Dobson situation, and this club in particular. That they was owned by a wealth business person who worked in the construction industry, but they have now pulled the plug. Top earners in this league earn around 12k a week.. But on average around 3-4k a week. He thinks this club are very unlikely to be offering someone like Dobson anything like he would be offered at Charlton. He also said, it would be a very poor more for him, that there are lot better clubs and areas to move to.
    I think I found some gap between, the UK and the hungarian tax rates. As I heard if you get weekly 12k, that 50k in a month, only remain 27k. At Hungary if you get 10k/w, that 40k/m  77% remain 30k.

It is only valid for sports.

Am I right about the UK tax?

40k/m is not highest salary at the hungarian league.
  • So as things are unfolding it would appear that.

1/Dobson has agreed the new contract offer
    2/He's waiting to see if we stay up before he signs
    3/The Hungarian pre-contract story is a load of rubbish
  • So as things are unfolding it would appear that.

1/Dobson has agreed the new contract offer
    2/He's waiting to see if we stay up before he signs
    3/The Hungarian pre-contract story is a load of rubbish
    My interpretation: I don't think he's actually agreed to either. He's been offered terms by Charlton that he would be happy with, and possibly also had an offer from Hungary that he'd consider.

But he's not actually decided which (if either) he's going to actually sign yet.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    I was speaking to Hungarian friend of mine, and was talking about Dobson situation, and this club in particular. That they was owned by a wealth business person who worked in the construction industry, but they have now pulled the plug. Top earners in this league earn around 12k a week.. But on average around 3-4k a week. He thinks this club are very unlikely to be offering someone like Dobson anything like he would be offered at Charlton. He also said, it would be a very poor more for him, that there are lot better clubs and areas to move to.
    I think I found some gap between, the UK and the hungarian tax rates. As I heard if you get weekly 12k, that 50k in a month, only remain 27k. At Hungary if you get 10k/w, that 40k/m  77% remain 30k.

I think overall you are right that the tax regime in HU would be more favourable for him, although the exact figures for comparison may be hard to calculate. The British tax regime is complicated and high paid footballers have advisors who come up with ways for them to avoid tax- although sometimes these went badly wrong. I guess there will be similar scope in HU, and he might get free housing, car, etc. 

i’m amazed if Hungarian clubs can pay equiv of £40k/month though. Where would the revenue come from to pay that kind of money? Was I right to say earlier that you guys average around 5,000 for league attendances and a lot of clubs get far less ? And that the admission price is typically around £5? It doesn’t make much sense to me financially, because Dobbo isn’t a glamorous  player. It took some time before fans were ordering team shirts with his name on the back. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:

I think overall you are right that the tax regime in HU would be more favourable for him, although the exact figures for comparison may be hard to calculate. The British tax regime is complicated and high paid footballers have advisors who come up with ways for them to avoid tax- although sometimes these went badly wrong. I guess there will be similar scope in HU, and he might get free housing, car, etc. 

i’m amazed if Hungarian clubs can pay equiv of £40k/month though. Where would the revenue come from to pay that kind of money? Was I right to say earlier that you guys average around 5,000 for league attendances and a lot of clubs get far less ? And that the admission price is typically around £5? It doesn’t make much sense to me financially, because Dobbo isn’t a glamorous  player. It took some time before fans were ordering team shirts with his name on the back. 
    40k is a exmaple for calculating. As I know ee have lower salaries, but some players earn close to this in eurós, not pound. As I know the bonuses are higher, with a same tax rate.
  • SDAddick said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I do think that when we talk about these things it's important to keep cost of living in mind. I'm sure cost of living in Budapest (if that's where he'll live) is far lower than in London proper or Kent or Essex or wherever footballers live. It may be that he can take a pay cut but still make more in terms of real wages. 

I'm not saying this is happening, I'm just saying it's not a 1:1 comparison. 

That argument works while he lives in Hungary and if he intends to stay in Hungary after he retires so his savings and investments from his income can sustain his lifestyle. Footballers are a long time retired!
  • Well Dobbo has gone... absolutely gutted and disgusted with the way he has been treated by 1 person in particular. The truth will come out in the coming days. But I have been allowed to post this from the family of George in case anyone was wondering.

Andy Scott you need to go.
    If this is true it is not going to put the team in a good mental state for today's game and it is a great shame that one of our best players has been let go, so this is the new Welsh Charlton - I do not like it
  • Surely Nathan Jones, as manager, gets the final say on whether we offer Dobson the contract he is looking for or not now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Actually, no player is bigger than the team. I'm not going to let this spoil Nathan Jones Day. Nor should the rest of our players
  • Surely Nathan Jones, as manager, gets the final say on whether we offer Dobson the contract he is looking for or not now?
    Would imagine this was done and dusted pre-Jones 
  • Didn't Jones say everyone barring Leaburn was on training which indicates if George is still with us he trained this week? 
    Yeah I guess so with the rumours of the pre-contract he signed.

Be interesting to hear what went on here. If rumours are also true and Scott only offered him a squad player contract, then to be honest I don’t really see that as mistreatment. 

If Scott has been dishonest and deceitful then that’s a whole other story and if true I hope he gets what’s coming to him.
  • Sponsored links:

• If he's signed a pre-contract, that's only for next season so he'll be here for the next 3 months.

If it's a winter transfer, then the club would have to agree to sell him, whatever the player wants 
  • edited February 10
    Surely Nathan Jones, as manager, gets the final say on whether we offer Dobson the contract he is looking for or not now?
    Yeah I guess so with the rumours of the pre-contract he signed.

Be interesting to hear what went on here. If rumours are also true and Scott only offered him a squad player contract, then to be honest I don’t really see that as mistreatment. 

If Scott has been dishonest and deceitful then that’s a whole other story and if true I hope he gets what’s coming to him.
    Exactly my thoughts on this. The supposed rumour is that he got offered a slight increase on his previous pay. If that isn’t true and he genuinely was lowballed then I’ll hold my hands up.

But as the captain of a club in danger of getting relegated to the fourth tier, I don’t think he can reasonably ask for top whack. And I wouldn’t agree that not offering that is treating him poorly.
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    Didn't Jones say everyone barring Leaburn was on training which indicates if George is still with us he trained this week? 
    Or he knew Dobbo was gone so didn't even think to mention a fake injury
  • So let me get this correct. George has left the building which can only mean Hungary ?
  • So let me get this correct. George has left the building which can only mean Hungary ?
    Well it can't be a UK club
  • bobmunro said:
    SDAddick said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I do think that when we talk about these things it's important to keep cost of living in mind. I'm sure cost of living in Budapest (if that's where he'll live) is far lower than in London proper or Kent or Essex or wherever footballers live. It may be that he can take a pay cut but still make more in terms of real wages. 

I'm not saying this is happening, I'm just saying it's not a 1:1 comparison. 

That argument works while he lives in Hungary and if he intends to stay in Hungary after he retires so his savings and investments from his income can sustain his lifestyle. Footballers are a long time retired!
    Very true, but if his real wages in Hungary are the same or higher it would presumably allow him to put back as much/more toward savings if cost of living is that much lower.

It's obviously speculation. The one thing I never believe is when people on here talk about how much footballers make. 
  • If he wants to go let him.
  • edited February 10
    Will post more after the game on this. Scott labelled George as an average league 1 player ans can only see him as a squad player going forward at Charlton. Doesn't believe he is a player to get us promoted. 

Only offered a small increase on his current wage. George wanted to stay. It is not about the money and that is why his father has allowed us to post this because he doesn't want fans thinking his boy is leaving for money. 

George wanted to be in and around the wage of most of the players. Tennai Watson is on around 1k more than George for example. 

The final insult was making him train with the u23s last 2 days. He has been desperate to move him on last couple of months. Obviously I am biased and get on well with George and his father but thought it best I share with you all 👍🏻
    Not about the money, but wanted to be on more, compared with the same amount as the rest of the squad ;) - Jokes aside, its disappointing if he has been made to train with the U23s

Thanks for posting