Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    I was speaking to Hungarian friend of mine, and was talking about Dobson situation, and this club in particular. That they was owned by a wealth business person who worked in the construction industry, but they have now pulled the plug. Top earners in this league earn around 12k a week.. But on average around 3-4k a week. He thinks this club are very unlikely to be offering someone like Dobson anything like he would be offered at Charlton. He also said, it would be a very poor more for him, that there are lot better clubs and areas to move to.
    Yeah it doesn't add up. Agent antics to a certain extent I would imagine. I expect him to sign an extension with us in the next few months, especially if Jones sees him as a key player next season.
  • It’s going to come down to Jones. Lots of competition in midfield for George and Jones might fancy someone else. It happens. On the other hand if Jones keeps him in the team and as captain, George might buy into the journey thing. Personally I think he already knows his summer destination.
  • The situation is litle bit complicated. Ok I know that our main sponsor left at the summer, and first look our financial condition decreased. The main reason for this leave, the wrong trasfers by a sport directors, overpayed players, wrong mentality, low stamina, and always blame the coaches, and those causes, that at the end of the last year at the final round we must prayed for to not relagate to the second division. We also start this year wrong, but behind the walls our new manager can plant the right mentality at the players, the good summer training camp caused highly incrased our stamina, and after 75th minute we scored 14 goal, 7 at the overtime. After we sacked our last sport director, now our owner more conscious add money. We also bought Stefanelli from Inter Miami, this move show that we are still capable to get capable players, we also signed a slovenia talent, ahead of teams from US, and italy. Only ferenvaros have more budget.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    I was speaking to Hungarian friend of mine, and was talking about Dobson situation, and this club in particular. That they was owned by a wealth business person who worked in the construction industry, but they have now pulled the plug. Top earners in this league earn around 12k a week.. But on average around 3-4k a week. He thinks this club are very unlikely to be offering someone like Dobson anything like he would be offered at Charlton. He also said, it would be a very poor more for him, that there are lot better clubs and areas to move to.
    Which team he suport?
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Which team he suport?
    Ferencvaros
  • Dobo's Agent is Darren Wrack, Ex Walsall player. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Dobo's Agent is Darren Wrack, Ex Walsall player. 
    So he's also got experience in playing in the Eastern Bloc, having played in Poland
    almost replied to query that, then cottoned on!  :D
  • edited February 9
    Gribbo said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Dobo's Agent is Darren Wrack, Ex Walsall player. 
    So he's also got experience in playing in the Eastern Bloc, having played in Poland
    Our manager is poland native, poland born swedish.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Which team he suport?
    Ferencvaros
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Which team he suport?
    Ferencvaros
    Ok. :smile: I have no question.
  • I'd love us to keep Dobbo and sign somebody to be Club captain. 
  • I hope it's not too late to get Dobson to stay.
    Would be great to think that we could've a squad when every player has to perform to keep his place in the team. Staying up and having a good summer window to go with the players that improve under Jones and have a higher performance ceiling. 
  • If he is not going to Hungary, so here for the rest of the season at the very least then as much as the majority of fans myself included would love his future with us sorted now, I don't blame him for waiting to see how things hopefully change under Jones.

Although I am sure a few idiots will try to claim it is him being disloyal if he waits to sign a contract extension. 

The one thing you can rely on is he will do his best until his final minute of his Charlton career, Dobson is not a Taylor. 
  • Hi @Vjacheslav

Big welcome from me too, even though you will have noticed that I am probably the most sceptical about the idea of Dobbo going to Fehervar. 

For background I have lived in Prague 30 years, so I have a good overview of the finances of Czech football and work on the assumption that there is no more money in the Hungarian league than Czech - other than artificial injections of cash often from Fidesz related biz people. When Duchatelet took over Charlton I worked to build relationships with the fan bases at other affected clubs. In Hungary the best help was a guy I only know as Gaby, (@DJGabyG on Twitter). It looks like you should know him too, as I now see you joined the conversation I had with him a couple of days ago. He's a good guy and great ambassador for Hungarian football. Although he's a Honved fan he managed to connect me Roderick Duchatelet's then partner at Ujpest. As you will have seen on Twitter he says of your club's interest in Dobbo "it's a really bizarre move"

Footballers in England are ridiculously overpaid, especially compared with players in Central European clubs. So my question to you is not why Dobbo might want to go there. My question is, why do your club want him and why do you and your fellow fans want him? Especially if he will be probably your highest paid player. How much have you seen him play? If you are signing a player from Inter-Milan, how exciting is it to have a defensive midfielder from an English 3rd division club, who has not attracted any firm interest from Championship clubs? 

On Twitter you actually tried to answer this question, you wrote  "Our manager is playing 3-5-2 formation, same as Charlton, we are looking for player to 6 position". Ok but there any number of clubs across Europe who also play 3-5-2 but the style of play might be much more Hungarian (& Central European)  style than British style is; faster, ball on the ground more, comfortable playing out from deep, less emphasis on physical strength. (that style certainly suited Loic Nego!) 

I just don't see it as a good fit for either Dobbo or Fehervar, so the only person it would "fit" is his agent. But that's just my take and i will be very interested in your take, especially how you and your fans reacted when you first heard about this.
  • edited February 10
    Hi @Vjacheslav

Big welcome from me too, even though you will have noticed that I am probably the most sceptical about the idea of Dobbo going to Fehervar. 

For background I have lived in Prague 30 years, so I have a good overview of the finances of Czech football and work on the assumption that there is no more money in the Hungarian league than Czech - other than artificial injections of cash often from Fidesz related biz people. When Duchatelet took over Charlton I worked to build relationships with the fan bases at other affected clubs. In Hungary the best help was a guy I only know as Gaby, (@DJGabyG on Twitter). It looks like you should know him too, as I now see you joined the conversation I had with him a couple of days ago. He's a good guy and great ambassador for Hungarian football. Although he's a Honved fan he managed to connect me Roderick Duchatelet's then partner at Ujpest. As you will have seen on Twitter he says of your club's interest in Dobbo "it's a really bizarre move"

Footballers in England are ridiculously overpaid, especially compared with players in Central European clubs. So my question to you is not why Dobbo might want to go there. My question is, why do your club want him and why do you and your fellow fans want him? Especially if he will be probably your highest paid player. How much have you seen him play? If you are signing a player from Inter-Milan, how exciting is it to have a defensive midfielder from an English 3rd division club, who has not attracted any firm interest from Championship clubs? 

On Twitter you actually tried to answer this question, you wrote  "Our manager is playing 3-5-2 formation, same as Charlton, we are looking for player to 6 position". Ok but there any number of clubs across Europe who also play 3-5-2 but the style of play might be much more Hungarian (& Central European)  style than British style is; faster, ball on the ground more, comfortable playing out from deep, less emphasis on physical strength. (that style certainly suited Loic Nego!) 

I just don't see it as a good fit for either Dobbo or Fehervar, so the only person it would "fit" is his agent. But that's just my take and i will be very interested in your take, especially how you and your fans reacted when you first heard about this.

Good question. 
    I think the the answer is our manager.
    He is searching for a key players for every part of the team. He came from the northern europian competition, which is very similiar style with the british. The player from Inter Miami(not the italian, this is Messi's club), were his key player at AIK Solna. He need team players, and also with a good mentality, and as I saw from your discussion about Dobbo, he absolutly fit for this. Not always the playmaker is the most important player for the team, someone need to do the dirth job too.
    That is what we need now. Ok we sign one hungarian cdm from ferencvaros(also same metality) but he is a solution for short term, because of his age, and injury history, but we need players for long term. 
    We had a several hungarian managers at past years, and that caused that we fall too close to relegation. 
    We could won the hungarian leauge first with the hungarian manager, but we every time failed at europian competitions. When we dreamed big, and choose Paulo Sousa everything is changed. We played at Europian League, we beat aginst Sporting and Basel, we knocked out Gent, and Trabzonspor, but he left from the club. Several years later we also find a good manager again, that was Marco Nikolic, and we also won the League, play at Europe League beat Bordeaux, Malmo, and at the group stage we beat PAOK two times, and draw with Chelsea (Nego scores at that match).  
    Every time we had a winner type good mentality players. At Sousa era like Marco Caneira, Filipe Oliveira, Nemanja Nikolics, later with Marco Nikolic era Danko Lazovic, Szabolcs Huszti, Roland Juhasz.
    Now we searching for thi key players also for the next era.
    I belive on Grzelak, and if he need Dobbo, this is not a question for me he is a need. I also accept the move that we signed player from ferencvaros, because Grzelak want him. (not easy to say this, because on my side of view one most hated club from hungary)
  • Is he strudel bound or what then?

Getting boring now.  My theory is that if he's not resplendant in leather Lederhosen by this week, he's been tapped up to leave for nothing in the summer by a League One collossus!
    Is that when you've eaten so much apple-based dessert that you can't digest it properly?
  • Sponsored links:

• Love apple strudel 
  • He might be waiting to find out whether we avoid relegation.
  • Prague you seem to be under the impression that a pre-contract isn’t worth the paper it’s written on and that it’s just an aggressive agent move.

Everything I’ve read about them suggests that once signed, a pre-contract between player and club is binding. So if the story of him having signed one with Fehérvár is true, he wouldn’t be able to rip it up if he changed his mind.

That said, the story on the pre-contract broke about two weeks ago now and there’s been nothing further on it since which makes me think that he hasn’t actually signed anything with anyone and it was duff information.
  • Prague you seem to be under the impression that a pre-contract isn’t worth the paper it’s written on and that it’s just an aggressive agent move.

Everything I’ve read about them suggests that once signed, a pre-contract between player and club is binding. So if the story of him having signed one with Fehérvár is true, he wouldn’t be able to rip it up if he changed his mind.

That said, the story on the pre-contract broke about two weeks ago now and there’s been nothing further on it since which makes me think that he hasn’t actually signed anything with anyone and it was duff information.
    As I know, there is no signed pre contract with us.
  • Maybe he signed a pre, pre-contract?

Well, I don't really know what is meant by a "pre-contract", and Rich Cawley has not explained what he understands by it. 

My best guess from the world of recruitment is that it is what is more usually known as a Letter of Intent. In the Czech Republic you cannot sign a legal employment contract until the day the employment actually commences. If a company wants to recruit a new senior employee, that employee often has to work out notice before they are able to leave, and it is conceivable for example that the employee might be approached by another potential employer during that time, or their existing employer offers a big pay rise to stay. Or perhaps the hiring company finds that an existing employee decides after all not to leave. A LoI is basically a gentleman's agreement. It gives both sides some kind of confidence in each other. But if either side wanted to be an arsehole they could ignore it. I confirm that during the 26 years of dealing with this stuff I encountered several arseholes. 

Somebody on here may have specific experience of employment law in the UK and can comment - however any agreement with Fehervar would be under Hungarian law and quite likely therefore to have similarities to Czech employment law. 

And we also have @Vjacheslav interesting post above...

• edited February 9
    This article is a few years old now but has a couple of good references to cases that went before CAS because a party didn’t honour a pre contract agreement.

https://lexsportiva.blog/2019/12/27/precontracts/
  • This article is a few years old now but has a couple of good references to cases that went before CAS because a party didn’t honour a pre contract agreement.

Interesting link, @Callumcafc.  It does still acknowledge that it's a very grey area. It seems to me that if it would be generally accepted in sport as legally binding, that would be going against national employment law. Sports employees would be a special case. Why should they be? 

Question is whether such an agreement even exists in Dobbo's case. Our new friend in Fehervar doubts it. And if it did, all it does is box Dobbo in. He wouldn't be able to sign a new contract with Charlton, and he wouldn't be able to go anywhere but Fehervar in summer -even if they have a bad second -half of season and fail to qualify even for the Euro Conference. What kind of agent thinks that's a smart idea? 
  • This article is a few years old now but has a couple of good references to cases that went before CAS because a party didn’t honour a pre contract agreement.

Interesting link, @Callumcafc.  It does still acknowledge that it's a very grey area. It seems to me that if it would be generally accepted in sport as legally binding, that would be going against national employment law. Sports employees would be a special case. Why should they be? 

Question is whether such an agreement even exists in Dobbo's case. Our new friend in Fehervar doubts it. And if it did, all it does is box Dobbo in. He wouldn't be able to sign a new contract with Charlton, and he wouldn't be able to go anywhere but Fehervar in summer -even if they have a bad second -half of season and fail to qualify even for the Euro Conference. What kind of agent thinks that's a smart idea? 
    I think the prospect of a pre-contract agreement is what his agent is trying to use for leverage. Maybe that agreement has been signed, maybe it hasn't who can say? But for the sake of negotiations with Charlton, it's Schroedinger's pre-contract, you don't know if it's signed until you offer him the right deal. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    I do think that when we talk about these things it's important to keep cost of living in mind. I'm sure cost of living in Budapest (if that's where he'll live) is far lower than in London proper or Kent or Essex or wherever footballers live. It may be that he can take a pay cut but still make more in terms of real wages. 

I'm not saying this is happening, I'm just saying it's not a 1:1 comparison.