Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Final - BBC or ITV

Comments

• Options
    Blucher said:
    BBC

I like Keane and Emma Hayes (who is a far better co-commentator than Dixon and Murphy) but the incessant adverts are very irritating, even when muted. Nor am I taken with ITV's relentless plugging of their inane competition, inviting you to pay £2 to enter for a chance to "win £40,000" etc". Mark Pougatch is a good broadcaster but this bloody competition makes him come across as a low grade double glazing salesman.
    For some reason I can’t stand that Emma Hayes. Probably because she’s employed by Chelsea. I do though think the sudden use of so many women is actually quite patronising, ie we need to show our diversity so let’s employ a few women even if they are not up to it. I mean they even shipped in a women’s Danish international, don’t suppose there are many male ones around.
    She's really knowledgeable and insightful but her voice is awful.
  • Options
    ITV - mostly 3rd rate dross plus adverts.  Nothing to be said for it except Ian Wright.  Commentator cringingly pleaded for us to continue watching with them on Sunday, his voice betraying that he knew few would.  In that moment I almost felt sorry for him.

BBC - deeper insights and without adverts.  
  • Options
    Awful commentary last night, patronising and unnecessary attempts to make it more dramatic, when the game and situation were exciting enough on their own. Can't stand Lineker but despite that will have to be BBC.
  • Options
    It would seem, based on the responses, ITV might be better off showing a movie to appeal to those who hate football rather than take the total kicking that is heading their way.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    This could be very embarrassing for ITV if this thread can be viewed as an exit poll. 

I must admit I found Sam Matterface extremely patronising throughout last night's commentary.

BBC for me
    I felt like ripping his head off and shitting down his neck!🤭🤭🤭
    I think I’d like to challenge that view as somewhat extreme 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Fumbluff said:
    SE7toSG3 said:
    This could be very embarrassing for ITV if this thread can be viewed as an exit poll. 

I must admit I found Sam Matterface extremely patronising throughout last night's commentary.

BBC for me
    I felt like ripping his head off and shitting down his neck!🤭🤭🤭
    I think I’d like to challenge that view as somewhat extreme 
    Think you must have missed the rumours thread the other night, comment since deleted, to understand this comment.
  • Options
    Tradition dictates its BBC but with Guy Mowbray commentating I'll probably go to the red button and 5 live for commentary. 
    Trouble is you end up with a standard definition picture on Sky rather than HD (unless they've sorted that.

The ITV commentary last night was shocking. Not a shred of tactical information from Lee Dixon. Not noticing a player had gone off injured (sorry, a member of staff) is terrible. Begging us to watch. No chance.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    BBC

I like Keane and Emma Hayes (who is a far better co-commentator than Dixon and Murphy) but the incessant adverts are very irritating, even when muted. Nor am I taken with ITV's relentless plugging of their inane competition, inviting you to pay £2 to enter for a chance to "win £40,000" etc". Mark Pougatch is a good broadcaster but this bloody competition makes him come across as a low grade double glazing salesman.
    For some reason I can’t stand that Emma Hayes. Probably because she’s employed by Chelsea. I do though think the sudden use of so many women is actually quite patronising, ie we need to show our diversity so let’s employ a few women even if they are not up to it. I mean they even shipped in a women’s Danish international, don’t suppose there are many male ones around.
    I agree there is maybe a degree of tokenism prevailing currently, but on the other hand (and as the father of two girls) I sort of understand that. Difficult to change things otherwise.  

But I think Emma Hayes has been excellent. I was watching a game a couple of weeks ago when she was on on co-commentary (can't recall the match, it wasn't A-list) but after a few minutes I was really struck by how insightful her comments were and how confidently delivered. 

I won't be watching ITV or BBC - lucky enough to have a ticket, and was there last night also - somehow tickets in the Denmark end!.

If at home it would be BBC without a second thought. Love the Linekar / Shearer axis.  

Feel really sorry for Clive Tyldesley. Putting Matterface's numerous blunders to one side (which I'm sure are eating him up today) he just doesn't have that gravitas or instinct for the moment.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    dickad1 said:
    Blucher said:
    BBC

I agree there is maybe a degree of tokenism prevailing currently, but on the other hand (and as the father of two girls) I sort of understand that. Difficult to change things otherwise.  

But I think Emma Hayes has been excellent. I was watching a game a couple of weeks ago when she was on on co-commentary (can't recall the match, it wasn't A-list) but after a few minutes I was really struck by how insightful her comments were and how confidently delivered. 

I won't be watching ITV or BBC - lucky enough to have a ticket, and was there last night also - somehow tickets in the Denmark end!.

If at home it would be BBC without a second thought. Love the Linekar / Shearer axis.  

Feel really sorry for Clive Tyldesley. Putting Matterface's numerous blunders to one side (which I'm sure are eating him up today) he just doesn't have that gravitas or instinct for the moment.
    Think my dislike of Emma Hayes is more to do with her Chelsea connections and her droning voice than the content of what she says because as you say she does talk sense. Last night the woman doing pitchside for ITV and the Danish international I thought were there just to fill some quota as neither had much to offer by way of opinion or insight. That isn’t helping in the long run and is just patronising.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    I can't say I dislike Emma Hayes, but she's not easy listening. Sounds too much like Pauline Quirk for my liking.
    I have to admit I initially had a preference for male experts and commentators. I think we have to take a step back and ask ourselves why as there are many great points made by female experts. There are crass ones too but that is echoed by male ones also. We just have to get used to something relatively new and embrace it for the good thing it is. 
  • Options
    BBC…always. The ITV commentator was pretty poor on Wednesday night.

We hardly watch anything on ITV because of the adverts. If we do it is invariably on catch up or record so can fast-forward through the breaks.
  • Options
    BBC - purely because no adverts.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    It has been mentioned on here, but the ITV competitions are irritating to me. They are repeated endlessly and relate to the same one prize. The only programme that doesn't seem to have a competition on their channels seems to be the news! We have even started seeing competitions in the adverts now!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    It’s what we pay our licence fee for (among a lot of other things)…if only to get our money’s worth it has to be the BBC on Sunday. The semi final switch to adverts just before the game was due to kick off and the atmosphere starting to go off the scale was definitely the worse ‘advert’ ever for ITV screening big occasions. Hopefully BBC ratings will wipe the floor with iTV’s and they get the message.
  • Options
    Tradition dictates its BBC but with Guy Mowbray commentating I'll probably go to the red button and 5 live for commentary. 
    Trouble is you end up with a standard definition picture on Sky rather than HD (unless they've sorted that.

The ITV commentary last night was shocking. Not a shred of tactical information from Lee Dixon. Not noticing a player had gone off injured (sorry, a member of staff) is terrible. Begging us to watch. No chance.
    Run it through the iPlayer in HD and you can choose the commentary synced against the pictures
  • Options
    It’s what we pay our licence fee for (among a lot of other things)…if only to get our money’s worth it has to be the BBC on Sunday. The semi final switch to adverts just before the game was due to kick off and the atmosphere starting to go off the scale was definitely the worse ‘advert’ ever for ITV screening big occasions. Hopefully BBC ratings will wipe the floor with iTV’s and they get the message.
    But the message cant be got because that's the basis of their existence, adverts at the point of highest audience pay the highest price, and that peak is just before kick off. Lose that principle and you lose independent TV (even if it is absolute dross 90% of the time)...
  • Options
    BBC. Not sure how anyone could prefer ITV.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    But the message cant be got because that's the basis of their existence, adverts at the point of highest audience pay the highest price, and that peak is just before kick off. Lose that principle and you lose independent TV (even if it is absolute dross 90% of the time)...
    You are right on that. It works for ITV when they show their games and BBC shows theirs. It doesn't work when they have to go toe to toe with the BBC with the inherent advantages it has - simply no adverts and no stupid competitions rammed down your throat.

I think we can go back in time and see that a lot of people only watched ITV. My grandparents were and example. On FA Cup day it came down to Motson or Moore and I think Moore often won the battle. ITV have good pundits on a par overall with the BBC, it is just the disadvantage is always there. It isn't there when they are the only broadcaster. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    BBC - no adverts no Keane no Emma Hayes

underlined for me on Wednesday night, game finishes looking forward to seeing Southgate rally the team ahead of extra time and it goes to adverts then back just as they kick off. Let’s not forget 2010 when as England scored they went to an advert, imagine that happening Sunday….:.:
  • Options
    Am surprised there arent any Daily Mail / Sun articles from people complaining that both channels are showing it when they dont need to be
  • Options
    BBC definitely

• Options
    I'd go with BBC if Klinsmann was on the panel for a bit of balance. He keeps it very simple and doesn't try to blind people with too much tactical stuff. 

If Brian Moore was still around, I'd definitely go with ITV. He was my favourite by a mile. 
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    BBC

She's really knowledgeable and insightful but her voice is awful.
    She over explains everything. Might be something experience will temper. What she does say though is usually on the button.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    I'd go with BBC if Klinsmann was on the panel for a bit of balance. He keeps it very simple and doesn't try to blind people with too much tactical stuff. 

If Brian Moore was still around, I'd definitely go with ITV. He was my favourite by a mile. 
    agree there, Brian Moore was the only reason to switch to ITV once the game had begun - my favourite ever commentator 
  • Options
    Having suffered Sam What a Farce for 90 minutes we watched extra time with sound muted. No question, it has to be BBC
  • Options
    Matterface was awful the other night. If Roy Keane was on the Beeb it would be perfect. I’m not keen on Danny Murphy but that’s more to do with the way he treated us.
  • Options
    No contest
    ITV is an embarrassing shambles 
    Matterface is dreadful 
    The studio build up/halftime on both channels is crap and superfluous 
    Tuning out Danny Murphy’s mumbling is easy 
    BBC during the game
    anything else at all in the break(s)
    we’re not gonna need extra time