Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Final - BBC or ITV

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Judging by the broad opinions of the quality of commentators and pundits seems to me Charlton TV would have been an option with Curbs, Brown, Terry and Greg !
  • Options
    BBC
  • Options
    BBC no contest.
  • Options
    I haven’t heard any of ITV’s coverage, here in Oz it’s all on Optus sport.

I do have to laugh at the hate of Sam Matterface though, I used to go to school with him and him and his brother were round my house most days as my Mum done after school care! He was a good lad! Ain’t seen him for about 30 years though! Or heard from him! Which is probably a good thing by the sounds of it!  😂😂
  • Options
    Who are the commentary teams? Id like to avoid jenas, hayes and matterface. 

Prob bbc for build up no ads and then whoever has the least jarring commentary team for the game
  • Options

I do have to laugh at the hate of Sam Matterface though, I used to go to school with him and him and his brother were round my house most days as my Mum done after school care! He was a good lad! Ain’t seen him for about 30 years though! Or heard from him! Which is probably a good thing by the sounds of it!  😂😂
    You'll very likely know my wife then, she used to hang out in the same group of friends at Coopers.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

You'll very likely know my wife then, she used to hang out in the same group of friends at Coopers.
    Probably not mate, the days I was at school with the Matterface brothers was primary school at Tubbenden, I knew lads at Coopers from playing at Orpington Rovers and stayed in touch with the Matterface brothers for a while.  I was at Ravens wood. 
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Who are the commentary teams? Id like to avoid jenas, hayes and matterface. 

Prob bbc for build up no ads and then whoever has the least jarring commentary team for the game
    You’ve answered the question yourself if you want to avoid Matterface.🤔
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll watch whatever has the best picture, hopefully the BBC. Thai commentary is definitely out but Martin Tyler for Supersport (South African TV) with Shaun Bartlett as a pundit is an option if the BBC is buffering but I think I'll appreciate the atmosphere better with UK coverage.
  • Options

I think hate is a bit strong. I don’t hate anyone. Not even Tyldesley. 😎
    Matterface is just not doing himself any favours at the moment because he’s relying too much on an extremely lame script and when he does “go rogue” he’s making a mess of it.
    In all honesty, I’d rather he did his own thing. He’s trying too hard to emulate those who have gone before him - he sounds to me like he’s trying to prove to Clive Tyldesley that he deserves the top job by copying his appalling commentary style.
  • Options
    This time tomorrow, ITV will probably cut to a commercial break…
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    When I look at both line-ups in a lot of the jobs ITV are better.

Pundits - Out of Keane, Neville, Wright, Shearer, Lampard and Ferdinand none of them are bad, and the only ones if I was being picky who are not better than the others its Shearer and Lampard so ITV win there

Interviewer - Gabriel Clarke is one of the best there is so no competition

Presenter - Both are excellent

Co Comms - Dixon is not great but Jeans is not great either

BUT it has to be BBC where I watch it due to bloody Matterface.  That commentary the other night has to be the worst I have ever heard for such a big game.  Would not surprise me if he gets dropped by ITV after this tournament like Matt Lorenzo after the Dallas bunker in 94

Also ITV have Peter Walton who is as much use as a chocolate tea pot when he is called in for his 'expert' insight
    ITV in many respects haven't done a bad job this WC. Yes the adverts and competitions are annoying, but that's what commercial broadcasters do, whether ITV, Sky or BT

McCoist is my favourite current co-commentator, he's combined quite well with Tydlesley this Euros, but was really good with Matterface at the last World Cup. Cole is an awful pundit, but the others have been fine.

Matterface is a very poor lead commentator though, completely out of his depth. You wonder whether it was wise of ITV to give the job with so little experience of TV commentary, as ITV have so little football at the moment.
  • Options
     How bad is the actual record for England wins on ITV?
    I know its not great but is it really bad or a myth?

• Options

As with most statistics, depends how you look at it. For example, if you only go from 1998 then ITVs record is pretty bad, (70% win ratio on beeb, 17% win ratio on ITV) but that’s deliberately ignoring euro 96, where the ITV record was good.
    Article from the Independent on it here:

https://www.indy100.com/sport/england-itv-curse-bbc-euro-2020-b1879829
  • Options
    The ITV blunder on that goal against the USA was incredible. The half-hearted, stuttering apology from Chiles was disgraceful. “Some… er some some er some of of our viewers might have er might have missed a a a a moment from the game, apologies for that. Anyway…”

• Options
    edited July 2021

As with most statistics, depends how you look at it. For example, if you only go from 1998 then ITVs record is pretty bad, (70% win ratio on beeb, 17% win ratio on ITV) but that’s deliberately ignoring euro 96, where the ITV record was good.

Of course, if the outcome of a match was affected by the channel it is being shown on or the lucky underpants we may, or may not, be wearing, it would be a waste of time watching football. The outcome will more likely be decided by the better team. I think that is England but not by enough to be too confident about it.
  • Options

Of course, if the outcome of a match was affected by the channel it is being shown on or the lucky underpants we may, or may not, be wearing, it would be a waste of time watching football. The outcome will more likely be decided by the better team. I think that is England but not by enough to be too confident about it.
    If the outcome of a match was affected by the channel it is being shown on, the mighty Charlton would be in tier 3 by now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Er, yeah. Obviously. 😀
  • Options
    Makes me laugh that the BBC coverage for England games has been at 7pm throughout the Tournament

ITV started their coverage on Wednesday @ 6:30pm for the Semi-Final and have done the same again tonight - Just checked the TV Guide to find out when the BBC start their coverage this evening and its at 6:20pm.

As Jeff Stelling once said about Soccer Saturday v Final Score viewing figures - Why bother turning over to Final Score @ 4:30pm (or whenever it is), when another channel have already been providing the same coverage for longer?
  • Options
    Over 80% of the 30million viewers watched on BBC.
  • Options
    amazed it was as low as 80%
  • Options
    So we can blame the other 20% for losing the Final for us then!!
  • Options
    It wasn't until the second half that I realised we were listening to Mowbray and Jenas. That's what I wan't from my commentators; anonymity. Well done both.
  • Options
    Think the final figures (rounded up/down) was 31 million tuned in 25 million on BBC and 6 million on ITV.
    However they also said 13 million followed it on iPlayer.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Think the final figures (rounded up/down) was 31 million tuned in 25 million on BBC and 6 million on ITV.
    However they also said 13 million followed it on iPlayer.
    is that in addition to the BBC One figures or separate?  

Edit - It's additional, 6.9m on iPlayer, 4.2m on ITV Hub, but that will include those who refreshed the stream