Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Italy - THE FINAL - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Major said:
    Maybe, instead of virtue signalling with all the trendy 'woke' messaging throughout the tournament, the England manager had, when it mattered, focused on football matters, he might have remembered the effect of all the pressure he felt when he missed his penalty and not relied on stats from training but actually thought about the situation he sent the kids into.

Maybe he thought about the pressure on players who didn’t really want to take one and went with the nest five who had put their hats into the ring 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    We have got a World Cup next year before this team even peaks in the next euros 

Southgate is getting us there

Semi Final
    Runners Up

next stage - Qatar 

I think we need to calm down on the World Cup talk. Brazil and Argentina will also be there. We’re heading in the right direction though and even the recent Germany team lost two semi finals and a final before winning something.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Scoring so early shocked Italy, but it shocked England too. Italy had no option but to recover with time to do so. If we could have another couple of early opportunities and a bit of luck, it could have opened up into a different game. Italy dragged us back into a chess match and we lost all forward momentum. It’s was a bit like an MMA match where the striker got an early, surprise knock down, but then found it hard to land strikes and was taken to the mat and ground down for the remaining rounds. 

On a positive note, this young team will have learnt a lot about winning, as well as what it takes on big occasions. Stick with them.
    They were vulnerable the first 20 minutes but we didn’t take advantage. It was all Italy after that. 
  • Options
    The dust has settled slightly after a 2 hour kip. I won't miss 3am kickoffs! 
    Very proud of what we achieved. We were so close. 
    We let Italy win that. Call it 1st final jitters, playing the occasion, I dunno.  I said after the Denmark game I wouldn't critise GS, and I'll stick to that, but I will point out that your 5th penalty taker should never be your least experienced players. Any Sunday league manager knows the 1st and last are your strongest. But Sako must of put his hand up and said he'll take it. And that's immense courage and balls. I hope he doesn't regress from it.

The team will learn front that, GS definitely has to learn from that. 

But what a tournament. I've sat and watched so many videos of all you fans back home with real joy, and a dash of envy. If covid wasn't around, I'd of been in my local pubs back In the UK. 
    Maybe we had to lose a final before making that next step. I know we're definitely building something extraordinary with the youth of our squad. 
    So as much as I'm down, it's onwards and upwards, and promotion from L1 next to celebrate. 
  • Options
    Where was Maya Jama?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Surprised he’s not got Saka’s shirt!

He checked the size of the shirt, didn’t fit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another big game when we took the lead and allowed the opposition back into the game, Croatia semi-final, Holland in nations league and yesterday. Didn’t deserve to win as we never went looking for a second goal. Happy to be called out, Southgate is way to negative manager. 
  • Options
    1 goal was always a tall ask to defend, we couldn't press home our advantage in the opening stages and get the 2nd.  The balance of play turned and we  could turn it back again. 
    If there is one fault I would aim at England, its the  inability to finish games early. I know we hammered the Ukraine but I think that was an exception from the norm.   
  • Options
    I feel totally gutted this morning. Went on fb and the usual casual England fans have already turned after their day in the sun. Fuck off. We can disect the final to pieces but we didn’t win and that’s life. Had an amazing 4 weeks watching and this team will improve for the experience. Well done lads.
    The best team won - I do wonder if our tactics had been better whether we could have lifted the trophy? Mancini is more tactically astute than Southgate and it wasn't simply about the players available.

• Options
    I feel totally gutted this morning. Went on fb and the usual casual England fans have already turned after their day in the sun. Fuck off. We can disect the final to pieces but we didn’t win and that’s life. Had an amazing 4 weeks watching and this team will improve for the experience. Well done lads.
    The best team won - I do wonder if our tactics had been better whether we could have lifted the trophy? Mancini is more tactically astute than Southgate and it wasn't simply about the players available.

I disagree. The best team was us for the first 35 minutes then we went into our shell. I’m not asking for 90 minutes of a perfect game but there was no tactical masterclass from Mancini, we just turned shit. Whatever, they won over 12 yards we didn’t. Till next time.
  • Options
    Gutted…

We won’t get another route to the final like that.

I can’t knock Southgate for his tactics, a semi and a final in two tournaments is better than most… but in the second half we weren’t in it, we needed to be more positive. We had the better players to come off the bench and I wished he’d gone for it…

I just feel so flat. Reminds me of the day after Euro 96, getting the train into town, it was quiet, subdued and miserable…

• Options
    se9addick said:

I disagree. The best team was us for the first 35 minutes then we went into our shell. I’m not asking for 90 minutes of a perfect game but there was no tactical masterclass from Mancini, we just turned shit. Whatever, they won over 12 yards we didn’t. Till next time.
    “we just turned shit”? Come on, England started well, exploited Italy down the right. Italy figured that out, plugged the gap and were the better team second half + extra time because if it.
    I'd say Italy were the better team until Chiesa went off injured... then both teams became very scared of making a mistake.

The best team certainly didnt win, two decent teams drew and then one got more fortunate that the other in a shootout
  • Options

You said we turned shit so was this down to the players or tactics? In terms of possession, number of chances and penalties we lagged behind.

We sat back for a large part of the game and allowed Italy possession and it seemed inevitable they would score.

The early part of the game we did play well and overran them but after that we offered little. 
  • Options
    I'm just going to memory hole this defeat online. england fans were not the only fans to boo the knee, boo national anthems and act arrogant(in actuality arrogrance seems better when its actually justified). england fans just get singled out partially because English is an international language and people read our hyperbolic media. the french national team fans are arrogant but no one cares.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm just going to memory hole this defeat online. england fans were not the only fans to boo the knee, boo national anthems and act arrogant(in actuality arrogrance seems better when its actually justified). england fans just get singled out partially because English is an international language and people read our hyperbolic media. the french national team fans are arrogant but no one cares.
    Whose fans tried to break into Wembley without tickets?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

“we just turned shit”? Come on, England started well, exploited Italy down the right. Italy figured that out, plugged the gap and were the better team second half + extra time because if it.
    They didn’t need to be the better team. We totally regressed for some reason and then confidence grew only one way. It wasn’t some tactical Italian master class.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

They didn’t need to be the better team. We totally regressed for some reason and then confidence grew only one way. It wasn’t some tactical Italian master class.
    Presumably it was down to our tactics - we've seen Charlton lose enough games by defending too deep.
  • Options
    Gutted…

We won’t get another route to the final like that.

I can’t knock Southgate for his tactics, a semi and a final in two tournaments is better than most… but in the second half we weren’t in it, we needed to be more positive. We had the better players to come off the bench and I wished he’d gone for it…

I just feel so flat. Reminds me of the day after Euro 96, getting the train into town, it was quiet, subdued and miserable…

People said that after Russia 2018...

Have seen fans on twitter claim that our route to the Final was easier this year than that occasion

Yet were Germany really more shite compared to Colombia | Sweden | Croatia - Even Denmark
    Yesterday wasn’t a ‘once in a lifetime experience’. This team will make the latter stages of more big tournaments.
    Hopefully we can improve tactically - Italy weren't an outstanding team and I was disappointed with the way we played.
  • Options
    Chiesa didn't even start as first choice for Italy at the beginning but was given the chance to show what he could do off the bench.   Our manager didn't give anybody (well maybe Grealish vs Germany) a chance to make a lasting impression off the bench.    I think the occassion was just too much for Saka last night - it may have been different if he'd started.

Mount was anonymous since coming back from isolation.   A shame because I really rate him, but where does he actually fit into 3-5-2 - he doesn't and putting a square peg in a round hole when Grealish, Sancho or Saka could play out wide right/left is a mistake.

I'll take runners up because this team has so much potential, but we need to be a little more positive when in the lead ,against the big boys.    We can take them on toe to toe - Maguire, Stones, Shaw and Walker were not our weaknesses this tournament so now Gareth needs to go for it more.