Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Italy - THE FINAL - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    PWR.

Very poor decision by GS to give pen kicks to the 3 youngsters , esp the 2 that had barely had time to acclimatise. 

Hope he learns from this bitter experience. 
    Acclimatise? They only had to take a penalty at Wembley not the himalayas 😀.they stepped up and others hid.
    You make it sound easy. Southgate picked the takers so it is unfair to say players hid. Somebody has to lose. It is frustrating that we missed 3 out of 5 although Pickford was brilliant I thought. His second save was as good a penalty save as you will see. if your keeper saves 2 out of 5, he has more than done his job.
    Has Southgate said he picked the 1st 5 takers? 
    I wasn't making out it's easy just saying pro footballers don't need to play for 10mins to acclimatise before taking a pen.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    I will never understand how Sterling was not ahead of Sancho.
    For the millionth time, because he’s shit at them. He’s taken 5 penalties in his career and missed 3. City can’t buy a penalty goal and he still doesn’t get near them. Sancho has scored 10 pens in his career and missed 1. 
    Yet I doubt he could’ve take. A worse pen than Sancho.
  • Options
    Rashford and Sancho are on paper in our top 5 penalty takers.
  • Options
    The players don't deserve any criticism for the penalties. They shouldn't have been put in that position with only 2 touches on the ball during the game. And such a young player to take such a pressured penalty. 
    You come out with some crackers, this is your best yet.
    A pen is a pen, you really should not need match fitness to take a pen. 
    You think rashford would have sliced his penalty if he'd actually touched the ball more than once in the game? 

There's a reason subs take 5-10 mins to get into the game. 
    Hes out of form and the manager should of told him no mate Not today 
  • Options
    Out of curiosity... If Rashford missed because he wasn't on for long enough

Did Mbappe miss because he was on the pitch for too long? 
    It's a bonkers debate 
  • Options

Its a percentages game. 

Rashford coming on for 2 mins tops lowers the chance of him scoring. 

I guarantee no one that watched Rashford during that walk up and penalty stance thought he was scoring. He stood there for so long after the ref blew the whistle before he took it. 
    Which is exactly what they are trained to do. The ref blows his whistle and you take it in your own time. I would have thought someone with your expertise in this area would be upto date with the latest psychology and training in penalties.

Just want to say welcome back to the told-you-so brigade. You've got your evening to celebrate and dine out on.
  • Options

Its a percentages game. 

Rashford coming on for 2 mins tops lowers the chance of him scoring. 

I guarantee no one that watched Rashford during that walk up and penalty stance thought he was scoring. He stood there for so long after the ref blew the whistle before he took it. 
    What you have described is nerves. Do you think he wouldn’t have had any if he’d had more time on the pitch? What do you suggest, that we should have not brought him on and had Kyle Walker take it instead? Or should we have brought Rashford on at 90 mins despite him being horribly out of form? Perhaps we should have started him so he was really, really ready to take the pen. It’s just nonsense that he hadn’t had enough time on the pitch, he actually did great briefly at right back when called upon, he just froze in the moment and that’s a shame. There’s no magic alternate timeline where he gets 15 mins and wins us the Euros I’m afraid, because that’s just silly 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    For the millionth time, because he’s shit at them. He’s taken 5 penalties in his career and missed 3. City can’t buy a penalty goal and he still doesn’t get near them. Sancho has scored 10 pens in his career and missed 1. 
    Great. So just get that time machine that tells you that Sancho is going to take a bad pen and we’re all sorted then. You pick the best penalty takers and hope they score, unless you are literally a wizard who can see the future. 
  • Options
    Because we lost the blame game starts, not sure that’s warranted, we played so well throughout the tournament. There’s a lot to be proud of. Let’s not spoil it, this team and manager did really well, onwards and upwards, World Cup next year!
    I think we’re a good side that can play some nice football. 

My problem is we haven’t learnt our lesson. We reverted back to the same
    way we played vs Croatia. All out defence once we score. 

Can it work? Yes
    Will it win us a major tournament - probably not.

ive disrespected Southgate and I’ve looked like a mug. He’s far better than I’ve given him credit for. Lovely guy that’s galvanised the squad and inspired a nation. 

Can he bring it home with such tactics - im not sure at all

Watching us park the bus for 45 mins today I knew there was only one outcome.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Great. So just get that time machine that tells you that Sancho is going to take a bad pen and we’re all sorted then. You pick the best penalty takers and hope they score, unless you are literally a wizard who can see the future. 
    Love Sancho. Quality player.

I can’t emphasise how hard it was for him tonight. He’s been on for 2 minutes. Barely touched the ball. How is he expected to take a good pen? He’s coming in Cold. 

I think it’s a poor selection. Sancho could’ve been on 20 mins earlier and it might’ve helped.
  • Options
    I have managed a team in a penalty shoot out, which we won. But the fact is, my management was to take a step back and tell the players to sort out the takers amongst themselves. Is that management? I went and sat with the parents and supporters in the stand and had a chat, to get out of the way. 

As it turned out, our best taker on paper missed the goal by a mile and the player I thought to myself, what the hell is he doing taking one, scored a perfect penalty. We won that match because our keeper, my son, made a couple of brilliant saves. If your keeper saves two, you ought to win. That is the disappointing thing about today. 

I would like us to think about one thing going forwards. That is losing the term, he was brave enough to take one. In the case of some players, I would prefer, he was brave enough not to take one. One thing you can not control is whether you fancy it or not in the moment. 
  • Options
    Better team won. We could have done better with pens, keep em low or get your laces through it. Southgate’s done well and deserves to take this young team to the World Cup but he ain’t no messiah, showed some fallibility tonight.
  • Options
    We deserved to lose and tonight showed the limitations of the team and the manager. As with the World Cup we were lucky with the draw and when we played a half decent team we came up short.

Won't get a better chance to win a tournament for a long time.
    I will be gracious and say the best team won, it hurts saying it but I'd rather lose to the better team than a blunder or dodgy decision.
    As for lucky and draws, it don't matter the best team does usually win. So we are the 2nd best team in Europe tonight. I know that's crap but it's progression. Sadly I think many will slate Southgate over the next few days and his interviews after the match don't make me think he will be the manager for the World Cup.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    DRAddick said:
    Southbank said:
    DRAddick said:
    Southbank said:
    Mancini's subs changed the game, Southgate's did not. So much for tactical nous. Italy were the better team and we allowed them to play their game by keeping our attacking players on the bench until it was too late. But Mourinho/Southgate will soldier on I am sure.
    A quick check shows you've been quiet recently on England and then suddenly post after we lose... funny that.
    Because I don't like Southgate's defensive approach to the game when we have so much attacking talent on the bench. We fluked the win against Denmark and sat back when ahead against Italy. I like winning, but you don't win trophies without taking chances. Southgate does not have that in his locker,. Maybe this will change him, maybe not.
    You mean because you didn't have the bollocks to say anything when we were winning, but couldn't wait to start publicly masturbating when we lost? 
    I don't spend my whole life on this forum, but believe me I have been consistent throughout. I don't like Southgate's management style or Mourinho's, who he is like. Maybe you do and you don't care we have 8 defensive players on the pitch.
    I do
    Again...Funny how you "don't spend your life on here" when we were winning. But find the time immediately when we lost. 
  • Options
    Honestly, as a Scotland fan, I’m so, so sorry boys.  You’ve backed your team throughout this tournament with crazy levels of atmosphere at Wembley and been a huge part of that historic success. I was at Wembley for one game to experience some of it. 

You won’t want to hear this but England just dominated a tournament with a team that is about to catch fire. I don’t know if it’s the next tournament or the one after but you’re about to win a trophy, I see no other team with a commensurate chance. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I don't like his style either but would I have taken us to the final? I doubt it. He has done well but rightly or wrongly, I think we could be a bit more offensive minded with the players we have. It is hard not to think that if you believe it, right or wrong. 

Anyway, let's look at this tournament as the time when we have broken through. Let's win the World Cup. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    With all the club v country debates I just want to think in a parallel universe someone answered "Euros Vs World Cup" and got their wish. 

Southgate is brilliant and this is the best England team I have ever seen. Thank you for an amazing month. 
    What happens in a parallel universe stays in a parallel universe. 
  • Options
    At least we are not in the parallel universe where Scotland won it. They will be insufferable in that one.
  • Options
    Gutted for England but it’s such a young team and I honestly think this might be the making of them. I would be very scared if I was any other major team. 

Italy are finished, England are just starting. 
  • Options
    Why did the management team not react to the Italian dominance from 25mins in?

Mancini made.one simple change with and extra man in midfield and Southgate stood and watched while they passed round us.

Why is a 19 year old being left with the responsibility of taking the 5th penalty in a major tournament final?  One of the senior pros has to step forward there.

Beyond frustrating. What was said at half time? We were on the back foot already and we got deeper and deeper. The second half was woeful.

Weird interview from Southgate at the end. Talking like he was out of a job or considering walking away.
    Nail on the head for me, bang on.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Perhaps we were lucky to be in the final.

Perhaps we were lucky it went to ET.

Perhaps we were lucky it went to pens.

Perhaps we have the basis of a fantastic England team that will be on the up from this.

Come on England!
  • Options
    We were honestly lucky to make it to penalties. Italy deserved the win. We played not to lose and lost, which is gutting because I feel we have the better players but we don't have any sort of cohesive game plan except try not to concede and rely on individual ability to make something happen. Thank god we didn't play Spain as I'm not sure we would have even touched the ball.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Love Sancho. Quality player.

I can’t emphasise how hard it was for him tonight. He’s been on for 2 minutes. Barely touched the ball. How is he expected to take a good pen? He’s coming in Cold. 

I think it’s a poor selection. Sancho could’ve been on 20 mins earlier and it might’ve helped.
    What, like Saka was? Why did he miss his then, he was all warmed up. Trying to find someone to blame when you don’t get what you want is childish. It was bad luck and it’s a shame