Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Italy - THE FINAL - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Laddick01 said:
    This might sound like BS but I’d have more confidence in Pickford taking one than Sancho.

Powderpuff. Simon Church strikes it harder.
    Easy to say in hindsight though.
  • Options
    Love Southgate. But he got tonight so wrong.

I'll leave it there
    In fact, I've gone a bit easy on him there.

A man like Southgate should lknow more than anyone the pressure of penalties.
    To bring two cold show ponies on for the last minute just so they could take one is pretty off.

We bang on about our attacking talent but that was a humiliation. He fuc*ING hung them out to dry there. If they're that good bloody play them.
    Steve Holland frantically searching through his  notepad for the answers was a bit of a joke.
  • Options
    Been great but Southgate got that wrong IMO. Late subs, shit ourselves after a great 45 mins, poor pens, I dunno. It’s hard cos he’s been great but fucking hell that Italian team are average. I really disappointed.
    34 games unbeaten is better than average. They will not go down as one of the greats but they won the tournament and that’s all that matters
    Of course, but a couple of poor performances in this tournament plus outplayed in the first half tonight and then we let them off the hook. No taking away from what they’ve done but we should of took advantage.
    But we are English, not German! It’s what we do. 

At half time, it was in the bag, we needed to be positive but turned into Charlton. 

But still, a great month after a shitty 15 months. 
  • Options
    Also saving two substitutions until the 120th minute when he could have used them earlier to try and win the game in extra time? 
    In which case it would have been Sterling and Kane off, or one from Saka or Grealish would have been hauled back off

Then had it gone to 10-10; reliable Henderson would have been taking one and people would be bleating on asking why he was still on the pitch to take one given the fact that he's missed his last two for England!!
    I don't see why he didn't take Sterling off if he wasn't taking a penalty. He was clearly blowing from half time and wasn't even really getting around the box. 
  • Options
    Can’t understand why Henderson didn’t take a pen
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Southbank said:
    DRAddick said:
    Southbank said:
    Mancini's subs changed the game, Southgate's did not. So much for tactical nous. Italy were the better team and we allowed them to play their game by keeping our attacking players on the bench until it was too late. But Mourinho/Southgate will soldier on I am sure.
    A quick check shows you've been quiet recently on England and then suddenly post after we lose... funny that.
    Because I don't like Southgate's defensive approach to the game when we have so much attacking talent on the bench. We fluked the win against Denmark and sat back when ahead against Italy. I like winning, but you don't win trophies without taking chances. Southgate does not have that in his locker,. Maybe this will change him, maybe not.
    You don't like the approach that got us to the final?
    No. Because it is also why we lost the final.
    Ah okay so if we'd played all out attack and been done on the counter losing to Germany or Denmark, that'd be fine right?!
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I haven't been impressed with the team all tournament. Apart from the Ukrainian match we've flattered to deceive. Far too negative - basically 1 striker & 2 supporting players and the rest defensive players. Like watching Charlton there was far too much backwards & sideways passing. 

Is negativity/caution part of your working life that has spilled over into how you see football?
    Not at all. I just like to see open & attacking football. Not mindless passing around the back that inevitably leads to the goalkeeper hoofing it upfield. 
    Bet you hated the Italian teams of old then - Or the Portuguese team that won Euro 2016?
  • Options
    Also saving two substitutions until the 120th minute when he could have used them earlier to try and win the game in extra time? 
    Exactly. Might as well have gone for it & tried to actually win the match. We lost anyway so the "tactic" didn't work. Rather try & fail than not try at all. 
  • Options
    To be fair, Grealish has only taken one penalty in his career (which he scored). But that doesn't make him an obvious choice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's missed his last two for England...
  • Options
    Um, you know the rules right?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    This might sound like BS but I’d have more confidence in Pickford taking one than Sancho.

Potentially. But we put a lot of pressure on a young man. 

Looks at Italy’s takers. Even Jorginho missed.

Go with experience.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Southbank said:
    DRAddick said:
    Southbank said:
    Mancini's subs changed the game, Southgate's did not. So much for tactical nous. Italy were the better team and we allowed them to play their game by keeping our attacking players on the bench until it was too late. But Mourinho/Southgate will soldier on I am sure.
    A quick check shows you've been quiet recently on England and then suddenly post after we lose... funny that.
    Because I don't like Southgate's defensive approach to the game when we have so much attacking talent on the bench. We fluked the win against Denmark and sat back when ahead against Italy. I like winning, but you don't win trophies without taking chances. Southgate does not have that in his locker,. Maybe this will change him, maybe not.
    You mean because you didn't have the bollocks to say anything when we were winning, but couldn't wait to start publicly masturbating when we lost? 
  • Options
    Henderson is perhaps the worst penalty taker in the squad…
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:

Potentially. But we put a lot of pressure on a young man. 

Looks at Italy’s takers. Even Jorginho missed.

Go with experience.
    Little bastard shouldn't have even been on the pitch 
  • Options
    Clearly the most level headed response to losing a final on penalties is to rip up the entire blueprint of our recent successes and go back to the days of Sven and Capello where at least we took the game to the opposition.
    Only positive with that approach is we'll have a Manager who'll pick the same squad every game because they'll be too lazy to do any serious research into some of the younger players coming through the England Youth Teams etc.
  • Options
    It can come down to who fancies it at the time. A good penalty taker can get a bit of doubt in their head and then they are best ducking out, but they run the risk of being called a coward. Really, you don't want heroes, you want confidence but you can't predict where it will be when the stakes are at their highest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clearly the most level headed response to losing a final on penalties is to rip up the entire blueprint of our recent successes and go back to the days of Sven and Capello where at least we took the game to the opposition.
    Only positive with that approach is we'll have a Manager who'll pick the same squad every game because they'll be too lazy to do any serious research into some of the younger players coming through the England Youth Teams etc.
     When they do pick those kids... They won't use them.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
     When they do pick those kids... They won't use them.
    Dont think Peter Crouch was that young in 2006 was he?
  • Options
    Gutted, proud but blame with this game lies on Southgate. Bringing on two young players with 1 minute left? 
  • Options
    😂The kid next to him.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    😂The kid next to him.
    Downing?... Oh you mean Walcott, my bad didnt see him there ;)
  • Options
    Dont really know what to say about the game apart from I didnt see what all the fuss about Italy was from the 1st half performance. We had nothing to worry about apart from Chiesa causing us problems.

I didnt expect to see us go into our shell and invite pressure on for the next 45 minutes. Why? We had no reason to do that but for some reason we just didnt turn up 2nd half.

I think I'll be more gutted tomorrow but right now I'm just happy I've seen us in a final for the 1st time in my 34 years. The build up to the final. The win against Germany and Denmark in particular was pukka. Not too long until we to again in the world cup.
  • Options
    PWR.

Very poor decision by GS to give pen kicks to the 3 youngsters , esp the 2 that had barely had time to acclimatise. 

Hope he learns from this bitter experience. 
    Acclimatise? They only had to take a penalty at Wembley not the himalayas 😀.they stepped up and others hid.
  • Options
    Absolutely gutted, the wait and the pain goes on.

Two tournaments and a semi final and final for Southgate so I can’t knock him.

I think scoring early didn’t actually do us any favours. We were far too deep for large periods (reminded me of Charlton). 

Only 18 months to Qatar, here’s hoping we can go one step further…