Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Italy - THE FINAL - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Only 15 months to wait for the chance of redemption. 
  • Options
    Been great but Southgate got that wrong IMO. Late subs, shit ourselves after a great 45 mins, poor pens, I dunno. It’s hard cos he’s been great but fucking hell that Italian team are average. I really disappointed.
  • Options
    Italy were the better side from about the 30th minute. In extra time when we pressed higher up we looked so much better. 

Penalties in hindsight maybe the last 3 were not the best choices. 
  • Options
    Doesn't the manager pick the first 5, then up to whose left if it goes any further.
  • Options
    For those curious as to why Sancho and Rashford took penalties...

Sancho: 11-taken / 1-missed...
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jadon-sancho/elfmetertore/spieler/401173

Rashford: 17-taken / 2-missed... 
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/marcus-rashford/elfmetertore/spieler/258923
    Again, players when they haven't been on the pitch for very long aren't 'in the game'. 

Taking a cold penalty with huge amounts of pressure when you've touched the ball maybe twice in 2 hours, isn't the best idea in the world. 
    Why does it matter? Or is that just a lazy stick to beat Southgate with?
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Now ask Alexa if football's coming home.
  • Options
    For those curious as to why Sancho and Rashford took penalties...

Sancho: 11-taken / 1-missed...
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jadon-sancho/elfmetertore/spieler/401173

Rashford: 17-taken / 2-missed... 
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/marcus-rashford/elfmetertore/spieler/258923
    Again, players when they haven't been on the pitch for very long aren't 'in the game'. 

Taking a cold penalty with huge amounts of pressure when you've touched the ball maybe twice in 2 hours, isn't the best idea in the world. 
    Yet look who they replaced, would you have wanted Henderson and Walker taking penalties if they're shite at them?

Equally you'd end up with players out of position to effectively accommodate your penalty takers (Yeah Saka should have been put at Right-Back instead of Rashford) but there is equally the risk that you dont even reach penalties if you plan for them too early.
  • Options
    I think during the game we simply scored too early and sat back after about 30 minutes to get to half time. We never really got the momentum back after that. 

You could see England going back into their shell and the subs didn't really do much to help us keep the ball and put pressure back onto Italy. They grew into the game in the second half and other than a period during extra time, Italy were well on top for the rest of the game. 

Penalties are penalties and are a lottery at the end of the day. Just seemed like Italy were more confident of winning them and England should have gone for it during extra time a little bit more. 

Players like Sterling looked knackered from about half-time onwards. 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Raheem Sterling has something to answer to. 

If h s declined a pen I don’t want to see him in and England shirt ever again. 
    We’re all upset mate but that’s a fucking stupid post

I’ll be honest that post does sound stupid. I just can’t understand how
    hes not ahead of Sancho in pen responsibilities. 
  • Options
    ah well Welling on Tuesday
    Best comment of the night.

We'll be there.
  • Options
    Been great but Southgate got that wrong IMO. Late subs, shit ourselves after a great 45 mins, poor pens, I dunno. It’s hard cos he’s been great but fucking hell that Italian team are average. I really disappointed.
    34 games unbeaten is better than average. They will not go down as one of the greats but they won the tournament and that’s all that matters
  • Options
    The frustrating thing is Rashford is probably our best penalty taker. Would have preferred him to take one of his standard ones than a Lyle Tayloresque effort. Pickford is a great penalty keeper but missing three gave him no chance.
  • Options
    FFS we lost on pens.They weren’t great for sure, but let’s dig the takers out. All of us on here could have taken a better one right?
    You can’t dig the takers out. I respect the balls to step up. 

It’s more annoying that some of the experienced Pros didn’t.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Raheem Sterling has something to answer to. 

If h s declined a pen I don’t want to see him in and England shirt ever again. 
    We’re all upset mate but that’s a fucking stupid post

I’ll be honest that post does sound stupid. I just can’t understand how
    hes not ahead of Sancho in pen responsibilities. 
    Sancho takes them regularly, Sterling I don't think is in the top 11 for City
  • Options
    Kane didn't touch the ball in the 18 yard box tonight, we played right into Bonucci and Chiellini's hands
  • Options
    Headline is factually correct but not sure that is what they were trying to convey 
  • Options
    The frustrating thing is Rashford is probably our best penalty taker. Would have preferred him to take one of his standard ones than a Lyle Tayloresque effort. Pickford is a great penalty keeper but missing three gave him no chance.
    Missing two and then relying on him to save against Jorginho was cruel enough... He did not deserve to lose
  • Options
    FFS we lost on pens.They weren’t great for sure, but let’s dig the takers out. All of us on here could have taken a better one right?
    I took three competitive penalties in my footy prime (24/25) 

Two were almost identical location to Sancho/Saka third bounced off the post and in off the keepers head. Big difference - No silly run up.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    You can’t dig the takers out. I respect the balls to step up. 

It’s more annoying that some of the experienced Pros didn’t.
    That’s the thing, you have to want to take one. Some do, some don’t.